We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thumbs up My 1 month review

I know this review has a little info about the game as I have only played a warden as my third character and have not looked back. I feel the story belongs here, as the warden is my main and I wanted to describe my thoughts and how I came about choosing to create a warden. Now that is out of the way.

I started this game about a month ago. I should say I created my account last year before F2P but for some reason I got interrupted and my trial ran out. I didn't actually sit down and start playing until about four weeks ago. I reinstalled and while it was installing my wife asked about the game. She wanted to play also, so after getting it all set up we decided to create a pair of hunters. Immediately we both fell in love with the atmosphere. I am one of those nerds as a story writer and game designer myself that loves to get immersed into the game. The immersion is there for sure.

The problem, I was having fun leveling with her but she doesn't have as much time to play as I do. Solution, I created a guardian. All the while getting my guardian to level 26 I kept seeing the loading screen talking about trying something new with a warden and gambit skills. Finally I figured I love the game so far and see myself playing for a while. I pre-ordered ROI and then got some TP to purchase the MoM expansion(I believe it was MoM that unlocked it). I have not looked back other than to abuse my hunter and guardian's trade skills.

I am now level 35 and loving every minute of throwing javelins at goblins and shoving spears into trolls. I also love the ability to do skirmishes solo which in turn I use those as a practice area to perfect my gambit skills. Other than the occasional clunkyness of the UI with ability queuing, I love the gambit skills. Need some defense, bam! Need some HoTs, bam! Need a DoT, Bam! This is how I feel I got the undying deed done. Sadly I have been demoralized since. Was trying to 3 man a fellowship dungeon. Got up to the boss, but could not take him down.

I love the story, and the warden feels like my class. Nothing like being on the front lines stopping your buddies from getting mutilated. The atmosphere is great, I love having to be more alert at nighttime because you cannot see as well, the community also seems great so far with some friendly nice players. I have only ran into a few jerks but they don't seem to continue talking long. The game is also great at night with only a couple candles lit on your desk, really draws you in, at least for me.

I just thought I would share my experience and why I chose a warden and that I am having a blast playing the class.

Re: My 1 month review

Played a hunter,
    then stopped playing for a while.
    I did not have time.

Guardian was next.
    And I alted a Warden.
    Hit the cap with Guard.

Warden feels clumsy?
    Guardian is slow going.
    But like it better.

Was in need of change.
    I Started a Lore-Master
    It is lotsa fun.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000001b59b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabax View Post

Warden feels clumsy?

Not the warden specifically. The ability queuing, Say I press 1, it has the dotted lines, takes a sec to go to green border, sometimes if I hit 2, it has enough delay to cancel 1 and just go to 2. So 1-2-1-2 turns into 2-1, etc... If that makes sense. I chalk it up to me needing to slow down at those times or don't accidentally press 2 too soon. I have gotten in the habit of looking down at my bar and waiting to see the green border. I play with my hand on wsad hovering the number keys so I don't always catch it.

Edit: I have a lore-master created just have not played him yet. The wife is having a blast on hers which made me create one, I will have to check that out soon.

Edit 2: How do I get the signature block with my character. I was looking all over my preferences and could not find anything that resembled that setting?
    Last edited by FlickerBoot; Sep 15 2011 at 06:27 PM.

I'd try positioning the gambit UI for better look at when a builder is applied. I find mistakes in building a gambit due to mechanical factor get a lot less common when masteries are in the rotation.
    Last edited by Farw; Sep 16 2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: deleted part I competely misunderstood xD
    WARDEN FOR LIFE! on Laurelin EU-RP
    Officer of the [COLOR=RoyalBlue]Rangers of the North[/COLOR].
    Proud member of [COLOR=Red]WeRock Alliance[/COLOR].

Quote Originally Posted by FlickerBoot View Post
    Not the warden specifically. The ability queuing, Say I press 1, it has the dotted lines, takes a sec to go to green border, sometimes if I hit 2, it has enough delay to cancel 1 and just go to 2. So 1-2-1-2 turns into 2-1, etc... If that makes sense. I chalk it up to me needing to slow down at those times or don't accidentally press 2 too soon. I have gotten in the habit of looking down at my bar and waiting to see the green border. I play with my hand on wsad hovering the number keys so I don't always catch it.
    This happens to everyone. This is the sole reason why you occasionally see veteran wardens pop Impressive Flourish. As you play more, you'll get the hang of the timing and know when you can let your fingers fly across the 1-2-3 keys and when you need to hold back an extra half second to let your skills fire properly. Wait until you get your masteries. That opens up a lot of options and will blow your mind at first.

Quote Originally Posted by FlickerBoot View Post

Edit 2: How do I get the signature block with my character. I was looking all over my preferences and could not find anything that resembled that setting?
    Under 'My Preferences',drop down to and click on 'My Forums Settings'.
    On the left hand side Click on 'Edit Signature' .
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000001b59b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Try fighting the Shepherds of Filth in skirmishes. They mess with your attack speed like mad, and really make it tough cause my rhythm is thrown all off.
    85 RK | 85 CHMP | 75 BRG | many others

Quote Originally Posted by ShammWoww View Post
    Try fighting the Shepherds of Filth in skirmishes. They mess with your attack speed like mad, and really make it tough cause my rhythm is thrown all off.
    Yea, I am starting to get better at timing it. Also the big troll guys that slam you into the air can throw you off.