A little more information about wassailing!
The purpose of a wassail is generally to wake the cider trees (or other crops) at a farm for the next harvest, and to chase away any ill spirits that have taken shelter in the orchards or fields during the winter. To do this, we'll wander between the three farms mentioned above, sing songs and taste some cider.
At each place, the likely schedule is:
- All will be wished welcome
- The Badgers will play a few tunes to warm up the orchards
- There will be a short wassail incantation/rhyme
- After the incantation, all are encouraged to make as much noise as possible (drums, cowbells, shouts, fireworks etc) to chase away any ill spirits that may prove a danger to the good harvest.
- Some splashing of cider is also encouraged during this phase, as a gift to the trees and orchards and to show them the fruits of the last harvest.
And off to the next place!
Lina Willowwood, biscuit-eating bard on Laurelin
Hobbit RP? Grand Order of the Lost Mathom, http://www.lostmathom.org/
Songs + videos on me biscuity burrow, http://bit.ly/nDJ31E