We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The Draigoch Set Bonus (response to interview)

I just listened to the interview on Doc Holiday and I wanted to make a point that was just brushed over with no real response to (about 38 minutes in). Skills reset on raid boss fights! Shouldn't this significantly affect the worthiness of this set bonus?

I feel like Graal may have missed the main point when responding to this question. He said the skill is awesome, and that's not outweighed by the penalties. I agree with that. He also said that the skill keeps you from dying, which is awesome and thus if you can do that more often it's more awesome. I also agree with that in theory but I don't feel like it applies when our skills are guaranteed to be available to us at the start of every raid boss fight. The problem here is not what skill is affected by the set bonus, it's how it affects that skill. Extending the duration of the "Invincible" buff, reducing the penalties somehow, or reducing the duration of the penalties would all be great ways to enhance this skill without rendering the enhancement close to useless against the average raid boss (which is what I would assume the set bonus should help us most against anyways). If Turbine continues creating raid bosses similar to what they've done so far, it will be a rare fight that both lasts longer than 10m and has significant chances of tank death from start to finish.

I also assume this set bonus is meant to help us be better in raids, being a raid set and all. This is why I'm focusing on raid fights and its utility in those situations.

P.S. If Graal ends up reading this, big thanks for that interview. I really enjoyed the insight from some of the team, and I'm very happy with what I've been hearing about Isen. I only felt like there was a real opportunity to address the main issue most of us have with this set bonus, and while you made excellent points on the utility of the skill, that isn't our concern (at least not this one )
    Last edited by thunderchickn; Sep 14 2011 at 03:59 AM.
    [center]
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tY1055I.jpg[/IMG]
    [color=green][b]Gloarn[/b][/color] 80 Burglar [color=grey]|[/color] [color=green][b]Glorn[/b][/color] 75 Champion [color=grey]|[/color] [color=green][b]Gloirn[/b][/color] 75 Rune-keeper [color=grey]|[/color] [color=green][b]Glourn[/b][/color] 75 Captain
    [color=brown][b]Glarnakh[/b][/color] R7 Warleader [color=grey]|[/color] [color=brown][b]Glarno[/b][/color] R6 Reaver
    [/center]

Re: The Draigoch Set Bonus (response to interview)

yeah, that was one of those questions where I wish I would've had more time to chat with them on. Hopefully later this winter when they open up again I'll get another chance as I'd love to do an interview with ZC and Graalx2 in more details.

The de-buff for Never Surrender is having its duration shortened which is good, and even if this set modified that duration it would be better - but class cooldown reductions on this scale seems to be a waste.

Unless Draigoch takes more then 10 minutes, which I guess is possible?
    Anawyne - 85 Warden, Iothelion - 69 Captain, Iothryth - 65 Minstral, Carawaru - 50s Champion
    [URL="http://docholidaymmo.com/"]DocHoliday[/URL] has blogged off/on mainly on Wardens

Did we ever get a good set bonus except maybe OD before anyway? Not once did I say 'Awesome, this'll alter my gameplay to the better so much!' Would be nice, but meh, like they care.

I think most people were saying the raid was going to take 45 or so minutes. The morale is in the millions for the body.

Erm, they made this change with OD. Something about people not using skills with cooldowns at all 'just in case'.

Turbine...how about designing the armor so that the capstone set bonus has 3 options that can be changed by the user...maybe have a bonus that supplements each trait line?

Quote Originally Posted by Farw View Post
    Did we ever get a good set bonus except maybe OD before anyway? Not once did I say 'Awesome, this'll alter my gameplay to the better so much!' Would be nice, but meh, like they care.

Moria set gave +60% threat to DoW. That should have altered your gameplay a degree.
    Warden: <===How would you like a spear in the face!?!===>
    Hunter: <---<<<Raining pointed death since 08.>>>--->

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000001599cf/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Sunaris "Pick warden. YOU ONLY HAVE 4 BUTTONS!!!!"

If this is geared towards the raid, and like people say the raid takes over 45 minutes, this might not be as bad. Lets say Draigoch is 45 minutes, that's an extra opportunity to use this skill which with the challenges of the fight might be a nice safety valve for the Warden. Not saying that I wouldn't prefer something else, but this might not be as bad as I originally thought.
    Anawyne - 85 Warden, Iothelion - 69 Captain, Iothryth - 65 Minstral, Carawaru - 50s Champion
    [URL="http://docholidaymmo.com/"]DocHoliday[/URL] has blogged off/on mainly on Wardens

We'll have a new armor set to worry about in update 5. My luck I still won't have the helm/shoulder drops from Draigloch by then. Based on my moria drop experience.

Lets hope we get something more useful in that update.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterion View Post
    We'll have a new armor set to worry about in update 5. My luck I still won't have the helm/shoulder drops from Draigloch by then. Based on my moria drop experience.

Lets hope we get something more useful in that update.
    Pet Ferrets.

Ok, back to my bio work.

Quote Originally Posted by Regero View Post
    Pet Ferrets.

Ok, back to my bio work.
    New set bonuses:
    3 pieces: Pet Ferret
    5 pieces: -15% Attack Duration, +10% Threat for Ferret

My issue isn't just because I don't like this set bonus, at least I'm trying to look at it objectively. It really is a problem to me to reduce a long cooldown, to a point that is still relatively long compared other skills, and call that the best set bonus in the game. I'll take every other set bonus we've had over this one, simply because they were useful in one way or another even if you didn't prefer them.

This set bonus is a bummer because it would only be useful in a long fight like Draigoch is rumored to be. I will say I'm happy that the fight is long, that will be fun. It's just poor design IMO to require a fight to last longer than 10 minutes, with significant chance for tank death from start to finish for this set bonus to be useful. Not many fights fit that requirement, and while some people may not like the other class set bonuses there are no restrictions on when they are useful.
    [center]
    [color=green][b]Gloarn[/b][/color] 80 Burglar [color=grey]|[/color] [color=green][b]Glorn[/b][/color] 75 Champion [color=grey]|[/color] [color=green][b]Gloirn[/b][/color] 75 Rune-keeper [color=grey]|[/color] [color=green][b]Glourn[/b][/color] 75 Captain
    [color=brown][b]Glarnakh[/b][/color] R7 Warleader [color=grey]|[/color] [color=brown][b]Glarno[/b][/color] R6 Reaver
    [/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Glorietta View Post
    New set bonuses:
    3 pieces: Pet Ferret
    5 pieces: -15% Attack Duration, +10% Threat for Ferret
    NO!!

Nobody touches my ferret.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchickn View Post
    This set bonus is a bummer because it would only be useful in a long fight like Draigoch is rumored to be. I will say I'm happy that the fight is long, that will be fun. It's just poor design IMO to require a fight to last longer than 10 minutes, with significant chance for tank death from start to finish for this set bonus to be useful. Not many fights fit that requirement, and while some people may not like the other class set bonuses there are no restrictions on when they are useful.
    It could also be useful in 3- and 6-man instances with 10-11 minutes between boss fight starts. Yes, it's a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorietta View Post
    It could also be useful in 3- and 6-man instances with 10-11 minutes between boss fight starts. Yes, it's a stretch.
    Heh, you're right, and also when questing or in PvMP (if you're not using another set since this one is terrible for offense). I wanted to focus mainly on raiding because it's a raid set so I assume it should help us most in that area.
    [center]
    [/center]

Well, at least we'll be able to mix up armor as we choose. Admittedly, I'd rather have a set bonus I'd actually really like, but having flexibility in armor choices isn't bad.