We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Plugins on Mac? Specifically the 'Songbook' plugin.

I recently got a nice shiny new mac which is efficient at running LoTRO unofficial client.

I use the client from this thread:
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...tro-mac-client
    as opposed to running bootcamp on mac and installing windows on a seperate part of the operating system.

In game it runs fine. But I cannot load any plugins. I use 'Palantir' and 'Buffbars' for raiding, but these aren't really a necessity.. However, my roleplaying side is quite a musician (Captain proficient in all instruments ) and so I can't really be without songbook to arrange my extensive collection of solo/group pieces.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, any ideas, any anything

Regards,
    -Cal
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b225000000066cd5/signature.png]Callie[/charsig]
    Caitlyin, Captain --- Calead, Warden ---Rílaísseth, Champion --- Narthivor, RK --- Unguilant r5 Weaver
    All on Laurelin --- Proud member of Les Adorables

Re: Plugins on Mac? Specifically the 'Songbook' plugin.

Um.... I'll try to help best I can... this is going to be a lot of shooting in the dark, hopefully it hits something.

1) Figure out wherever your screenshots are saved to on Mac.

2) Use that folder to get the Example plugins loaded (from Narrel's post). If you can at least get those to appear, using:
    /plugins list
    Pick one and try to load it. Hopefully that will get you going, once you know where they are, then putting in manager, Palantir, and the rest shouldn't be too hard.

Conversely, you could try to run LotRO via bootcamp, your performance will likely be better too.
    Last edited by Almagnus1; Sep 09 2011 at 07:06 PM.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

I do not know the File planet "wrapper" that uses "wineskin" ...

However, WINE itself and CrossOver Games CXG, which is based on Wine both store things as follows...

1- <user>/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online

In that folder, you will find (at least) the files: "lotro.keymap" and UserPreferences.ini" -- these two files are created automatically when the client launches.

This folder also contains your screenshots and is where you need to create a folder called "Plugins".

All of your Plugins are then placed in that folder. Depending upon who packaged the Plugin, you may need to FIRST install the two Turbine plugin folders "Turbine" and "TurbinePlugins." (download from somewhere in this section of the forums. I don't use songbook, but for example, the folder "Shady" will contain "Manager" for the Plugin manager.
    Similarly, "Tonic" contains "Tonic Bars" and "PengorosPlugins" will contain Buff Bars.

2- Since Wine is based on "bottles," I assume that Wineskin is also.

You should also have a set of folders...
    NOTE: that under Lion, the Library folder is now a "hidden" folder and requires certain steps to make it visible again.

<user>/Library/Application Support/<wineskin?>/Bottles/<your bottle>/drive_c/Program Files/Turbine... etc.

I happen to run on a 27 inch iMac using Crossover Games (CXG) on Lion, and have no problems with plugins. (Graphics issues are a different story.)
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

The biggest problem will probably be the songbook.hta which is used to generate the song library. But if you use Crossover Games to play, I do know one user who has made an equivalent script that should work on Macs. :-)

-Chiran
    [URL="http://chiran.lotrointerface.com/portal.php"]My LoTROInterface Portal[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Chiran_EU View Post
    The biggest problem will probably be the songbook.hta which is used to generate the song library. But if you use Crossover Games to play, I do know one user who has made an equivalent script that should work on Macs. :-)

-Chiran
    Hi!

I hope it's fine to bump this thread but this is also my problem. I play a minstrel and play LOTRO using Crossover Games in a Mac have been dying to get Songbook to work in it. You're right, songbook.hta is my biggest problem because I have no idea how to open it (IE 5.2.3 doesn't even fully load it). Can you help me?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rii-kun View Post
    Hi!

I hope it's fine to bump this thread but this is also my problem. I play a minstrel and play LOTRO using Crossover Games in a Mac have been dying to get Songbook to work in it. You're right, songbook.hta is my biggest problem because I have no idea how to open it (IE 5.2.3 doesn't even fully load it). Can you help me?

Thanks!
    I don't have a solution for it myself, but sent you a pm about it :-).

-Chiran
    [URL="http://chiran.lotrointerface.com/portal.php"]My LoTROInterface Portal[/URL]

I do not have an answer yet, but I've requested help from CXG support.

I believe that problem is actually quite simple, I just don't know how to solve it.

Basically, I believe the HTA "file" (which is really a program) needs to be identified to CXG (WINE) as a program and put someplace accordingly. Similarly, since HTA is apparently a Visual Basic Script (VBscript), CXG/WINE must be able to run THAT program (Visual Basic). I do not know if "native" CXG/WINE supports Visual Basic, or if VB needs to be downloaded and installed into the Bottle.

Searching the CXG "Compatibility" database, there appear to be multiple versions of VB available. ... I have no idea which components are needed.

===
    A related tip:

A couple of plugins now are "Turbine aware" and can be used with the Plugin Manager with no problems. MooreMap and AltInventory are two. These put up icons in the Turbine manager, so its easy to tell which are "fixed." Those with Icons can be loaded from the Turbine Manager.

All other should continue to be loaded either using "Manager" or manually.

DO NOT load "Manager" from the Turbine Manager, rather, create a shortcut
    (/shortcut ## /plugins load manager) and then, once in-game, use the shortcut to load Manager which can be used to "auto load" songbook and any of the rest of the "unmodified" plugins.

I'll hopefully get an answer from CXG shortly.

CXG LOTRO: Mystical Exalted Nigh-invincible Supreme Raging Atomic Dragon Turbo Chief Senior Advocate
    (I wish I got paid a dollar for each letter in my title)
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    I do not have an answer yet, but I've requested help from CXG support.

I believe that problem is actually quite simple, I just don't know how to solve it.

Basically, I believe the HTA "file" (which is really a program) needs to be identified to CXG (WINE) as a program and put someplace accordingly. Similarly, since HTA is apparently a Visual Basic Script (VBscript), CXG/WINE must be able to run THAT program (Visual Basic). I do not know if "native" CXG/WINE supports Visual Basic, or if VB needs to be downloaded and installed into the Bottle.
    Yes, I imagine getting the .hta to work on Mac or Linux is a challenge. I've been toying with the idea of a Java version. That should be easier to handle for both. One problem is how to detect/search for the correct Lotro paths and setup files in those systems, and how to test since I don't have either OS currently. Of course, the other problem is time .

-Chiran

I have been able to run some plugins just fine -- like hugebag. But dragbar and gambithelper fail with an error "Attempt to call global class (a nil value)

And I can't load them at all. Ditto for Songbook.

I have installed the basic Turbine utilities as far as I can tell -- some of the links provided go to a .7z file which I can't seem to open at all.

Any thoughts?
    Flamenca
    Leader, House of Play

Quote Originally Posted by Beanmama View Post
    I have been able to run some plugins just fine -- like hugebag. But dragbar and gambithelper fail with an error "Attempt to call global class (a nil value)

And I can't load them at all. Ditto for Songbook.

I have installed the basic Turbine utilities as far as I can tell -- some of the links provided go to a .7z file which I can't seem to open at all.

Any thoughts?
    The "Attempt to call global class (a nil value)" error is due to having a different version of the Turbine utilities than the one the plugin uses - in November 2010 Turbine broke most of the available plugins by moving their class.lua file from one folder to another (I think it was "Turbine\Utils" to "Turbine\UI" but I'm not sure). Unfortunately you also have to have the correct __init__.lua file in the folder as well. This is the reason why most developers stopped depending on the Turbine samples and included all necessary files in their own archives.

Fortunately, this has nothing to do with being run on a Mac, it is simply a matter of having the wrong version of the Turbine samples. Look in your "..\Plugins\Turbine" folder and find which folder your class.lua file is in. If it is in the "..\Plugins\Turbine\Utils" folder, then copy it to the "..Plugins\Turbine\UI" folder and create a file in the UI folder named "__init__.lua" with the following contents:
    Code:
    -- Import package classes.
    import "Turbine.UI.Class";
    If the class.lua file already exists in your "..\Plugins\Turbine\UI" folder, then copy it to the "..\Plugins\Turbine\Utils" folder and create a file in Utils folder with the contents:
    Code:
    -- Import package classes.
    import "Turbine.Utils.Class";
    That way no matter which version of the samples a plugin is looking for it will always find the class.lua file (the file didn't change, just it's location).

The .7z file can be opened using the free utility available from http://www.7-zip.org/ for Windows, I don't know if there is a Mac client for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Garan View Post
    The .7z file can be opened using the free utility available from http://www.7-zip.org/ for Windows, I don't know if there is a Mac client for this.
    The utility on the Mac to read/write .7z files is Zipeg... http://www.zipeg.com/
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Yes, I imagine getting the .hta to work on Mac or Linux is a challenge. I've been toying with the idea of a Java version. That should be easier to handle for both. One problem is how to detect/search for the correct Lotro paths and setup files in those systems, and how to test since I don't have either OS currently. Of course, the other problem is time .

-Chiran
    Well, it's important to keep in mind that anybody who isn't playing LotRO in Windows, is likely doing so via some version of Wine. Wine uses "bottles" which act as a self-contained windows-type system, with just enough system files in order for a game to run normally. These bottles also support numerous support installs, such as Visual C, .NET etc - while it isn't a perfect Windows environment, it's usually close enough. In the case of LotRO, the game will work perfectly (obviously) but it requires a special launcher called PyLotRO, which takes the place of the default one.

By default, LotRO is usually installed in these "bottles", much like it is on a normal Windows system. It will be in C:\Program Files\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online, there will be a My Documents folder to store settings, screenshots and plugins (although, often this is just a symbolic link to the user's system documents folder), and it will even contain an "AppData" equivalent - all set up so LotRO thinks its running in Windows, while Wine handles the translation between it, and the Linux/Mac system its running on.

So you should be able to get by with writing something so it works in Windows, have the player install it into the bottle, and it should work fine. I'm not entirely sure, but it may even be possible to run a vbscript, provided the player installs the necessary support programs (visual basic runtime, .net, etc), as these will install and run appropriately in Wine as well.

Overall, the important thing to keep in mind, is that you're not writing for Linux/Mac - you're writing for a really stripped down version of Windows. So you may even be better off just simply writing a plain old exe file, and building it for something low like .net 1.1 or 2.0. Because even though the files themselves may be physically in the user's system-level documents folder, inside the bottle, it's treated as a Windows my documents folder. So, if you have the user add your app in the bottle, they'll be able to run it, and it should work just as it would in Windows.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wK9A7aa.png[/IMG]

[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Fourohfour | [B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Artemedis | [COLOR=Blue][B]60[/B][/COLOR] Whiskeytango Foxtrot | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]50[/COLOR][/B] Mistah Boombastic | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]56[/COLOR][/B] Appetizer | [B][COLOR=#a7a7a7]25[/COLOR][/B] Aggromi | [B][COLOR=blue]61[/COLOR][/B] Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts [/SIZE] [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia View Post
    Overall, the important thing to keep in mind, is that you're not writing for Linux/Mac - you're writing for a really stripped down version of Windows. So you may even be better off just simply writing a plain old exe file, and building it for something low like .net 1.1 or 2.0. Because even though the files themselves may be physically in the user's system-level documents folder, inside the bottle, it's treated as a Windows my documents folder. So, if you have the user add your app in the bottle, they'll be able to run it, and it should work just as it would in Windows.
    Thanks, I understand it a bit better now. Still, even on native windows VBScript is definitely not ideal (many potential problems). And because my experience is only about scripting languages and Java, those are my options at the moment. Not sure if I'm brave enough to jump into .Net application programming at the moment.

-Chiran

Thanks, I understand it a bit better now. Still, even on native windows VBScript is definitely not ideal (many potential problems). And because my experience is only about scripting languages and Java, those are my options at the moment. Not sure if I'm brave enough to jump into .Net application programming at the moment.

-Chiran
    Not that I want to assume anything - as really, my last experience with anything ending in "basic" was back in the good ol' days with DOS and QBasic, but if you are familiar with VBscript, then I would imagine that VB.Net shouldn't be too foreign? At any rate, from a cursory glance, it does appear that Java Runtime is among the windows apps that can be installed under Wine - so it doesn't look like there'd really be anything stopping you from doing things the Java route. without having to take unnecessary steps for the "Winos"
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wK9A7aa.png[/IMG]

[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Fourohfour | [B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Artemedis | [COLOR=Blue][B]60[/B][/COLOR] Whiskeytango Foxtrot | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]50[/COLOR][/B] Mistah Boombastic | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]56[/COLOR][/B] Appetizer | [B][COLOR=#a7a7a7]25[/COLOR][/B] Aggromi | [B][COLOR=blue]61[/COLOR][/B] Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts [/SIZE] [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia View Post
    Not that I want to assume anything - as really, my last experience with anything ending in "basic" was back in the good ol' days with DOS and QBasic, but if you are familiar with VBscript, then I would imagine that VB.Net shouldn't be too foreign? At any rate, from a cursory glance, it does appear that Java Runtime is among the windows apps that can be installed under Wine - so it doesn't look like there'd really be anything stopping you from doing things the Java route. without having to take unnecessary steps for the "Winos"
    Yes, I could actually take a look at that. Might be less intimidating than I assume :-). But in the meanwhile I'll probably scrape up a Java version and see if it helps anyone who is having problems with running VBScript. Doesn't hurt to have options at least.

-Chiran

Yes, I could actually take a look at that. Might be less intimidating than I assume :-). But in the meanwhile I'll probably scrape up a Java version and see if it helps anyone who is having problems with running VBScript. Doesn't hurt to have options at least.

-Chiran
    So, learning the basics of VB.Net and porting the code wasn't bad at all really. Here's initial native version of the same tool for those who are having problems with the .hta script. It might even work, but if not - let me know.

SongbookFiller.zip

It's an .exe file so feel free scan it for viruses and so on. :-)

-Chiran

hi musicians,
    i'm a french minstrel mac user (sorry for my english spoken). I recently play on mac (that's great) but i was annoyed when i saw that songbook doesn't work on it. I'm driving a big orchestra with 14 musicians, i have songs with lyrical and i don't imagine to type command for each song of my musical library.
    So have you good news or hoping one about songbook or i need to have a rendez vous with my psy for forgetting this fabulous plugin ?

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by sharilaa View Post
    hi musicians,
    i'm a french minstrel mac user (sorry for my english spoken). I recently play on mac (that's great) but i was annoyed when i saw that songbook doesn't work on it. I'm driving a big orchestra with 14 musicians, i have songs with lyrical and i don't imagine to type command for each song of my musical library.
    So have you good news or hoping one about songbook or i need to have a rendez vous with my psy for forgetting this fabulous plugin ?

Thx
    There was one user from LOTROInterface that was working on a AppleScript version of the library generator. He didn't release it, but I think he got it to work. However, it was almost two years ago or so. Back then the game was working under Crossover Games, but the script could be of help anyway. His user profile there is Khaladreth if you want to ask him?

-Chiran

Was just checking around for some information on getting plugins to work properly under the new Mac client (I can get Combat Analysis to work just fine, but not Buff Bars), and ran across this thread.

I have not looked at the Applescript I wrote long ago to update it for the official Mac location of these files, so have not attempted to get Songbook running under the Mac Client (I long ago ditched Crossover for just dual booting my Mac).

I will see what I can do to update it over the next couple weeks and if I can get it to work, I'll post here and on LOTROInterface.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by flutegirl View Post
    Was just checking around for some information on getting plugins to work properly under the new Mac client (I can get Combat Analysis to work just fine, but not Buff Bars), and ran across this thread.

I have not looked at the Applescript I wrote long ago to update it for the official Mac location of these files, so have not attempted to get Songbook running under the Mac Client (I long ago ditched Crossover for just dual booting my Mac).

I will see what I can do to update it over the next couple weeks and if I can get it to work, I'll post here and on LOTROInterface.
    1- Today, the Turbine Mac Client, is the only option available to Mac users which does not require a tremendous amount of "effort." (i.e. level of sophistication.) Currently, it works with Update 8 (Riders of Rohan), however, it is broken for the beta of Update 9: Against the Shadow. Will it continue to work or be broken when Update 9 is released, probably next week, we won't likely know until then.
    2- What problem are you having with BuffBars? -- I use it with no problems.
    3- Documentation (including detailed file information) on the Mac client can be found at: LOTRO-wiki.com
    4- Currently, Turbine seems to be officially disowning Luas -- They are refusing to consider any bug reports about client crashes which have Lua's enabled. Lua's do use memory, and the RoR update still has memory management issues. ... sigh.
    5- In general, Luas work with no problems anywhere in Middle Earth EXCEPT in Rohan, Instances or Session Plays. Work = no client crashes because of memory leaks. This appeared to hold true in the Update 9 Beta 1 and 2 before Turbine broke the Mac Client with Beta 3.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (91)