We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast

Unhappy Re: Official Discussion: Isengard LOTRO Store availability and Turbine Point Cost

Turbine are you now banning people and removing thier posts because

they speak thier minds? My emails say yes.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000000418/01008/signature.png]Randa[/charsig]

Re: Official Discussion: Isengard LOTRO Store availability and Turbine Point Cost

Quote Originally Posted by Randa_4352 View Post

Well at least you know you're not alone on that score. That being the case, maybe you'd like to provide us with an email address where to send our concerns where they won't violate community guidelines etc

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Re: Official Discussion: Isengard LOTRO Store availability and Turbine Point Cost

Quote Originally Posted by heatherjewel View Post
    OK here is a question I dont think anyone has asked....

Do you NEED the 3250 'main expansion' to purchase the dragon raid and/or the instances?

If so then why? If you separate them from that expansion why arent they stand alone?

I think those answers will basically tell the tale of if there is any underlying motive here.
    Nope. You can buy the raid and instances without buying the Quest pack. Though I'm going to admit I'm not sure why you would.

Quote Originally Posted by Randa_4352 View Post

The facts say no. In fact I can state without reservation that not one person has been banned as a result of this thread. Not one.

Posts removed due to violations of the community guidelines? Absolutely. Infractions given? Exactly ONE, despite several post that deserved them. And there are other posts that players themselves removed .

In short, the harshest action taken in this thread has been the post I made reminding everyone of the Community Guidelines and the one one posting account rule.
    Last edited by Sapience; Sep 12 2011 at 01:17 PM.

Just wanted to pipe in, as a longtime VIP player, that I have no issue with their model, do not feel ripped off, and am pleased at how ROI seems to be shaping up.

I paid monthly before their was F2P, and still do, and, as with other MMO's I've played, fully expected a cash cost with an expansion. I get monthly Turbine points, which I use for storage, or outfits, but I really never expected it could be used for the expansion. Apparently, it can be, though it seems folks are upset at that rate.

After seeing so many comments on how VIP's will feel, thought I'd chime in, as that doesn't represent me in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    The facts say no. In fact I can state without reservation that not one person has been banned as a result of this thread. Not one.

Posts removed due to violations of the community guidelines? Absolutely. Infractions given? Exactly ONE, despite several post that deserved them. And there are other posts that players themselves removed .

In short, the harshest action taken in this thread has been the post I made reminding everyone of the Community Guidelines and the one one posting account rule.
    Good old small print. Still, despite all that nicety, you still haven't managed to give any sort of answer that addresses any concerns expressed here.

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    For what it's worth, from the July 1st promo:

"As the Rise of Isengard draws closer, ensure that your Legendary Items are equipped to handle Saruman and his twisted regime!"

It's in there, but it's definitely not what would catch your eyes first.

I can see why people took the step in logic they did and bought point bundles to save-up for RoI. I resisted the urge to pull the lever on the offers they were dangling. I decided I really didn't need any of the pre-order goodies, especially if I could wait and use my accrued points.

I'm sorry to see people unhappy with how things turned-out and I do wish Turbine would have released more concrete details sooner, but ultimately the responsibility is on each one of us to make sure we know the details before making a 'large' purchase like an expansion.
    That's one point of view.

A different point of view holds that, if a company expects to maintain long-term relationships with its customers, it's the company's responsibility to set expectations properly. Failure to do so ends up costing the company sales in the long run.
    Dwarf Guardian, Hobbit Hunter 65; Elf Rune-keeper 55; Elf Hunter 49; others 7 to 36.
    Two of each class; 3+ of each of the ones I like; 8 x KSM and counting....
    [SIZE="0"]Asheron's Call'99, Dark Age of Camp-a-lot'01, Everquest II'04, Vanguard'07, (M)Age of Conan'08, Lord of the Rings Online'09, Rift'11.[/SIZE]

Nope. You can buy the raid and instances without buying the Quest pack. Though I'm going to admit I'm not sure why you would.

Not saying I agree with Randa, but it's quite hard to dispute your post seeing as how doing so would be a violation of community guidelines #17. Of course it's so broad that your post itself is a violation of #17 lol. Don't worry, I won't report you

Quote Originally Posted by Leggolasar View Post
    Not saying I agree with Randa, but it's quite hard to dispute your post seeing as how doing so would be a violation of community guidelines #17. Of course it's so broad that your post itself is a violation of #17 lol. Don't worry, I won't report you
    Simply pointing out that sometimes people like to start fires when there isn't even any wood to burn.

Simply pointing out that sometimes people like to start fires when there isn't even any wood to burn.
    Well at least we can get answers to the utterly pointless issues.

because the dragon raid which will be given out immediately will give better rewards than the quest pack will. And as stated questing is meh. besides once the instances do become available they will also give better rewards than questing, and probably a good amount of reputation along with them. Also by then a bundle might be available where the price isnt nearly as high.

So other than quests I dont see a huge draw to the expansion. Like I said I will buy it eventually just a matter of when. If I am floundering along and on day 4 or 5 I see everyone at level 75 and not much to do other than grind rep then exactly what am I doing different? They just happened to have a few quests lessen that grind for them somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by nirsul View Post
    Ok, so let's assume you mean the instances are located in some element of RoI, probably Isengard itself. How is that different from DN? Which may now be considered part of MoM quest pack, at the time it was part of a free content update later than the MoM launch and so not "part of MoM".
    DN required you to have the MoM expansion. So how was it NOT part of MoM?

Quote Originally Posted by Stadic View Post
    Just wanted to pipe in, as a longtime VIP player, that I have no issue with their model, do not feel ripped off, and am pleased at how ROI seems to be shaping up.

I paid monthly before their was F2P, and still do, and, as with other MMO's I've played, fully expected a cash cost with an expansion. I get monthly Turbine points, which I use for storage, or outfits, but I really never expected it could be used for the expansion. Apparently, it can be, though it seems folks are upset at that rate.

After seeing so many comments on how VIP's will feel, thought I'd chime in, as that doesn't represent me in the least.
    Pretty much how I feel also. I'll add that, in my opinion, Turbine hasn't handled the release of information very well, but then again they never really have, and really not many companies do it well anyhow. People just think they're getting screwed because they made assumptions based on only bits and pieces of info dropped by Turbine, before Turbine themselves even knew what the final outcome was going to be. Poor marketting, plus an assuming consumer base, and the internet's total anonymity can lead to a mob/pack mentality about any issue, and lead to massive threads like this one.

DN was free to VIP's. The new raid and instances aren't if bought through the store
    [center][b][size="3"]Archaon Lvl 65 Champ[/size][/b]
    [i][b]Suicidally entering instances since March 2007[/i][/b]
    [i][url=http://the-suffering.org/forum/index.php][b][size="4"]The Suffering[/size][/url][/b]
    Snowbourn[/i][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by GregJL View Post
    DN required you to have the MoM expansion. So how was it NOT part of MoM?
    Um, because it released with Volume 2, book 8 which was a free content update? In other words, while there was a prerequisite for playing it (owning Moria), that doesn't make it part of the expansion per se.

Sheesh, how freakin' hard is it to distinguish between "expansion" releases and later "content updates", especially when the latter have their own release notes?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000094544/01008/signature.png]Nirsul[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by KingCogidubnus View Post
    DN was free to VIP's. The new raid and instances aren't if bought through the store

As GregJL pointed out Dn was only 'free' if you had purchased Moria (with cash by the way as it was the only option at the time). Currently we do not have pricing or a bundle that is 'the expansion' for Isengard in the LOTRO Store, nor will we until after update 5 releases and we can actually create that package with the instances included. So again, all the pricing you are looking at is a la carte.

So once again I'll remind everyone that trying to compare a la carte pricing to package/bundle pricing isn't really a valid way of doing things.

Also, trying to compare a nearly 3 year old expansion and pricing to an as yet unreleased expansion is also a bit of apples and oranges. If you want me to guess what Isnegard pricing and bundles will look like in two years, I'm going to have to beg off. I really wouldn't have clue one.

I've actually seen someone complaining that we're living up to the promise we made that the epic story line will always be free to all players. I'm not sure what to do with that complaint at all.

I can appreciate that there were assumptions made that turned out not to be accurate and that that's caused some confusion, but please let's try to keep the discussion to the facts as they are known and not rumor, speculation, or assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    Show me a single post where they promised it would be a 'free raid'.; Not even the PR announcements said anything about price, only timing and talked about the 'content!'
    Leaving aside the idea of reasonable inference ("Update content" had a clearly accepted and understood meaning at the time that letter was published, of which you are well aware), by the same logic there was absolutely no indication that RoI included instances. They were not mentioned anywhere in any PR announcement - or indeed anywhere else - until the relevant thread appeared on this forum. The expansion had been for sale (and being bought) for three months before that.

If you expect peopole to rely only on what is 'officially' and explicitly promised in terms of content, then no one could reasonably have concluded that instances were a part of RoI. They were unmentioned. They are still not included in any official publication of that expansion's content except a post on this forum - which many won't ever see (I just looked, and the 'official' site doesn't mention them at all). Is it your position that the only source of 'official' promises is a post in the Official Discussion forum? Really?

We are told we cannot rely on Turbine-published materials when it's convenient to one argument (new PvMP zone in first press release), but that we must rely on their specific wording (or lack thereof) when it's convenient to another (never said Update raid would be free). Are outside interviews quoting Turbine 'official? If not, where is the 'official' announcement of the delay of the new PvMP zone?

The ultimate question is: What can I reliably believe? The definition of 'official' cannot simply change depending on whether or not it favours Turbine at that particular moment.
    [COLOR=olive]Lyriell, Elf Guardian of Carpe Jugulum [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=olive]6 Fairwood Lane, Pel-e-Maenas, Falathlorn (Silverlode)[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=teal]- Comfrey (Minstrel), Lomeloth (LM), Galmiriel (Captain), Melanna (Hunter), Curubrindal (Warden), Collinsia (Burglar)[/COLOR]

As GregJL pointed out Dn was only 'free' if you had purchased Moria (with cash by the way as it was the only option at the time). Currently we do not have pricing or a bundle that is 'the expansion' for Isengard in the LOTRO Store, nor will we until after update 5 releases and we can actually create that package with the instances included. So again, all the pricing you are looking at is a la carte.

So once again I'll remind everyone that trying to compare a la carte pricing to package/bundle pricing isn't really a valid way of doing things.

Also, trying to compare a nearly 3 year old expansion and pricing to an as yet unreleased expansion is also a bit of apples and oranges. If you want me to guess what Isnegard pricing and bundles will look like in two years, I'm going to have to beg off. I really wouldn't have clue one.

I've actually seen someone complaining that we're living up to the promise we made that the epic story line will always be free to all players. I'm not sure what to do with that complaint at all.

I can appreciate that there were assumptions made that turned out not to be accurate and that that's caused some confusion, but please let's try to keep the discussion to the facts as they are known and not rumor, speculation, or assumption.
    But why does it HAVE to be a la carte? Seriously what is the difference between guys buying the pre order for 30,40, 50 bux and knowing they will get the instances for free when they release? Why cant that same assumption, guarantee apply to people buying the expansion in the store?

Did turbine think putting a price tag of 5995 would scare people? Well of course it would, and they might not sell as many. So it is a way to curb the sticker shock. I am also 100% sure turbine knows what the expansion will be priced at once they finally get everything all pooled together. So why not take that price. I will say 4495 (which would include everything that is 5995 now)and maybe ad 500 TP to it. And then the price of the whole a la carte deal would be 4995. Not cheap but still not 5995.

Separating them is a double edged sword. I imagine the marketing geniuses thought that the announcement alone would make people feel gracious that they were finally being informed, then they also combined that with "hey we're giving them the option of buying it in pieces, they'll love us for that." Little did they know people who have TP and didnt spend cash can actually do math. And even though it is technically 'free' to people who get 12 months worth of TP at 500 a month, not everyone accumulated TP that way. And certainly not everyone spent the same amount on said TP.

there are just too many sub divisions to everything, the game, the player base, the paying playerbase, everything. Separating the community in the process. But the thing is everyone across all sections are unhappy. Although the lifetime account guys who dont pay a sub seem to be the least upset. Which is understandable. I am shocked more 9.99 lifetime guys havent spoken out. they really get screwed.

Does Turbine not bear some responsibility when it is clear that some assumptions are widespread and affect whether someone will purchase a product or not?
    Last edited by zathscorp; Sep 12 2011 at 02:19 PM.
    "LIs grow with you"____"Convenience not Advantage"____"There's a new PVP Zone coming"

because the dragon raid which will be given out immediately will give better rewards than the quest pack will. And as stated questing is meh. besides once the instances do become available they will also give better rewards than questing, and probably a good amount of reputation along with them. Also by then a bundle might be available where the price isnt nearly as high.

So other than quests I dont see a huge draw to the expansion. Like I said I will buy it eventually just a matter of when. If I am floundering along and on day 4 or 5 I see everyone at level 75 and not much to do other than grind rep then exactly what am I doing different? They just happened to have a few quests lessen that grind for them somewhat.
    This post tells me you are playing this just because it's a game. Where as, I and whoever else is like me, will be playing this expansion to live out the quests and experience them. Read every bit of the dialogue and experience as much of the world we love as we can. The game aspects make it fun, and leveling up to 75 gives a goal to move forward but I would still do these quests even if I wasn't leveling up.

The raid, the instances are going to be like this as well. Though harder for me to experience as I want due to the fact that raids and instances seem to be done by people who are playing the game seriously...as just a game. I still want to see all I can see. So it's not really about the rewards the quest pack will give..in terms of in game loot. But the reward that it will give in terms of..living out something you've always wanted to be apart of since you read the books.

As for people ridiculing Sapience about answering questions. He's going to answer what he can and what he wants. He's not some grouchy troll who's not going to answer your questions because he likes to see you suffer. (at least I hope not!) He either cannot answer the questions you want due to orders or lack of knowledge on the subject. I agree it would be great for him to come out and say "I know nothing!" that way you can all stop talking about blue names responding in this thread. I'm sure they're reading it, and I'm sure they'll respond in some way. But it's not gonna be at our beck and call.

Now you can go ahead and call me out for defending Turbine, but I'm just trying to defend reason and logic. Because obviously anyone with both of those skills, would realize that if he could answer questions he would. Or maybe the answers aren't what we're looking for and he doesn't want to disappoint. I doubt he'd withhold it regardless, he's probably been around MMO's long enough to know that people want information whether it's good or bad..so they have something to complain about (and of course, make decisions). Most of the time it's because the person responding isn't allowed to respond with the answers you're looking for.

Anyways, all this bad publicity will probably hit a nice portion of Turbine's profits (or lack thereof according to some) on this expansion and it might change things..it might not. Because how many people play the game and post here? I doubt it's more than 40%. But on the 27th, if you log in and half the world is missing throughout the day..then you know the majority agrees with those against Turbine's decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by zathscorp View Post
    Does Turbine not bear some responsibility when it is clear that some assumptions are widespread and affect whether someone will purchase a product or not? There are a fair number of legitimate questions relating to content and what VIPs do and don't get that seem to be ignored.
    VIP's get monthly points, FREE UPDATES, access to the entire game. Nothing is changing. Sapience has already said this. Update 5 is going to be free. Update 5's Delayed RoI Instance Add-On Pack is not going to be free.

Did turbine think putting a price tag of 5995 would scare people? Well of course it would, and they might not sell as many. So it is a way to curb the sticker shock. I am also 100% sure turbine knows what the expansion will be priced at once they finally get everything all pooled together. So why not take that price. I will say 4495 (which would include everything that is 5995 now)and maybe ad 500 TP to it. And then the price of the whole a la carte deal would be 4995. Not cheap but still not 5995.
    No, Turbine thought putting a price of 5,995 was reasonable due to the content and the age of the product. Like I said, if TP was around when MoM was released, it would have been upwards of 6500-7000 Turbine Points. Its 3 years old and still over 2000 points, so it would have been way up there. Mirkwood would have been worth about 4500 points, it was smaller than Moria and cheaper in cash as well. So logically you would assume RoI would be between 5,500 and 6,000 based on the fact that it's priced in between both expansions in terms of cash. Content wise? I don't know, I have to play it for myself to see if it's worth as much, I can't trust the naysayers around here that say it's not worth it. I am wholeheartedly content with believing they're trying to be negative because they are upset with Turbine rather than base their statements off fact. I could be wrong but I'm going to have to see for myself.
    Last edited by Garethporlest18; Sep 12 2011 at 02:23 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000001896/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Very well. I have a couple of questions regarding information direct from Turbine:

1. What happened to the 'convenience, not advantage' idea?

2. The 'three regions' deal with this expansion is rather deceptive. It still seems to me as though it is one zone - Dunland - with smaller regions - Isengard and the Gap of Rohan - attached to it, rather than three completely independant zones. I'll have to wait and see to be 100% sure though.

3. How can almost 6k TPs for this expansion be justified by the line 'somewhere north of Moria and Mirkwood'? Especially as that means the TPs have been heavily devalued compared to cash.

4. How could a 'New PvMP zone' make it so far as to appear in the original advertisement for RoI and yet we've since been told that no work has been done on any such zone and it's something which may or may not appear in the future?
    [b][color=lightblue]"[i]'Ai! ai!'[/i] wailed Legolas. [i]'A Rune-Keeper! A Rune-Keeper is come!'[/i]

Gimli stared with wide eyes. [i]'Tolkien's Bane!'[/i] he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face."[/color][/b]

But why does it HAVE to be a la carte? Seriously what is the difference between guys buying the pre order for 30,40, 50 bux and knowing they will get the instances for free when they release? Why cant that same assumption, guarantee apply to people buying the expansion in the store?
    That's a great question and one I can very easily answer. In order to offer the full expansion bundle all items must be in the game and available (I do not pretend to understand the technical limitations of the store).

So that means in order to offer everything in the store in one bundle we would have had to have waited until the release of Update 5 sometime in December.

By breaking it out in pieces and giving you the option to buy it now with cash, or in pieces on launch day for points we were hoping to avoid having to tell everyone they couldn't buy it with points until December.

That's a great question and one I can very easily answer. In order to offer the full expansion bundle all items must be in the game and available (I do not pretend to understand the technical limitations of the store).

So that means in order to offer everything in the store in one bundle we would have had to have waited until the release of Update 5 sometime in December.

By breaking it out in pieces and giving you the option to buy it now with cash, or in pieces on launch day for points we were hoping to avoid having to tell everyone they couldn't buy it with points until December.
    I can see the technical difficulty in selling something you don't yet have, code-wise. You would have to make the code deal with the situation.

But then would you care to explain why you have been able to overcome that technical difficulty for the cash pre-pay RoI package? It's the same game after all.

Two things: the whole DN was only free if you bought Moria bit is, TBH, a load of BS. You could only play Moria back then if you'd bought SoA (for cash), so does that make it "part of SoA" too as that logic implies? See the slope you're going down? There's a clear distinction in the minds of most people through the release date between what's included in a product and what's not; until you all come to grips with that simple consumer expectation you're going to get no traction on that point.

I'm pretty reasonable when it comes to this stuff, and while I'm willing to cut you all some slack about content dates slipping and so on had you ever mentioned the Update 5 instances before you did, but trying to justify this particular decision by declaring an update that came 8 months later to be a "part of" the Moria expansion simply defies all reasonable logic. And trying to do so damages your credibility, TBH. It looks like (bad) spin.

Secondly, as I've said quite often over the years here, most of the "confusion" is caused by you all. You don't take control of the message, you let misinformation fester, and bad assumptions linger for far too long. Sheesh, IMO you're still doing it here by not simply addressing one issue: will VIPs have to pay for content other than expansions moving forward? Simple question that one, and yet no straightforward answer is forthcoming. TBH, it's like a conversation with my ex-, who always went around obliquely around the topic she wanted addressed then got mad and blamed me for not "getting it" or answering her (which is the main reason she is my ex-). Drives me nuts ...

If you want I'll give you a cut and paste answer that addresses it directly and (I think) accurately given what you're banding around:

"The instances in Update 5 were scheduled for release with RoI, but because of the instance team's work on the dragon those got delayed too, so we're releasing them later but still consider them as 'part of RoI' for the pricing purposes. As such, we'll come up with a bundle price when they launch, because we have no way to record a purchase on content that actually isn't live through the in-game store (there is no "bought this product token" for an account in that interface). We'll maybe work on that particular problem later, no promises on it though.

As such, this is an unusual situation and one we regret, and no in fact VIPs will not be charged for content patches moving forward."

See, not that tough to address and eliminate the (legitimate) concern people have, explain what happened, justify your decision, add a mea culpa, and do so all in a clear concise way. The lack of that kind of communication is WHY there's "rumor, speculation, [and] assumption".
    Last edited by nirsul; Sep 12 2011 at 02:54 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000094544/01008/signature.png]Nirsul[/charsig]

Yes, let's hear some more facts. Turbine customers deserve to know what will be available in the webstore on 9/27/11 for RoI packages and prices. I asked about this last week but have yet to hear about the webstore prices from you Sapience.

I have 3 accounts (all 3 VIP at one time) and now that I know that using TP is not going to be doable, I need to determine how much all the RoI options will cost and determine which accounts will get the expansion...... or if I will be saving my hard earned money for other mmorpgs. The company that is the most direct and honest will win me as a player. It is as simple as that. Let's hear what the webstore will have to offer come Sept. 27.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d2160000000171ec/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

This is utter Bull Sapience and you know it. You could release it as a bundle and gibe people a code that they use to buy the instances on release. If all of it can be done through the pre-order process then it surely can be done through the points store. If you cannot explain it, lets have someone who can....
    [center][b][size="3"]Archaon Lvl 65 Champ[/size][/b]
    [i][b]Suicidally entering instances since March 2007[/i][/b]
    [i][url=http://the-suffering.org/forum/index.php][b][size="4"]The Suffering[/size][/url][/b]
    Snowbourn[/i][/center]

Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast