We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: LI level ?

LI level ?

Ive done the moria intro series and got my first LI, a club (irrelevant i know). I've leveled it up a bit and now it says on this item '6/40'. Does this mean it can only go to 40th level? do i have to buy dwelling scrolls for it to unlock more levels?
    thx a bunch in advance
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000003ee1db/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: LI level ?

It is a special starter weapon. It can not go past 40. Generally you will replace a legendary item every 3 or 4 levels. Since the starter weapon can not gain experience unless you are killing stuff with it or feeding it blue pills, I deconstructed it as quickly as possible once I was able use a 51 or higher character level weapon. Its only purpose was to get me thru the tutorial - Volume 2. Book 1. You will get a starter Minstrel Book when you finish Volume 2, Book 1. IIRC - It has a growth limit on it.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

ahh thanks, I'm gonna deconstruct it at 31 I guess. Does it matter if it has any unspent points on it when it's deconstructed? or should I spend any points left so I get better materials from deconstructing it?
    Also why do people replace LI every few levels, is it not possible to find a really good LI early on and just stick to it?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000003ee1db/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

It doesn't matter whether, at the time of deconstruction, you've spent all points on the item. The result will be the same. On changing LIs regularly: if you compare, e.g., two third age legendary weapons, one for level 55 and one for 57, you will find that the max value for DPS is higher on the latter. So, if you'd put the same relics on both and had, by accident, the same legacies on both, the 57er weapon would spread more pain. That is, you won't find an item early on that can compete with some 65er LI.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    It is a special starter weapon. It can not go past 40. Generally you will replace a legendary item every 3 or 4 levels. Since the starter weapon can not gain experience unless you are killing stuff with it or feeding it blue pills, I deconstructed it as quickly as possible once I was able use a 51 or higher character level weapon. Its only purpose was to get me thru the tutorial - Volume 2. Book 1. You will get a starter Minstrel Book when you finish Volume 2, Book 1. IIRC - It has a growth limit on it.
    Yes, both LI's that you get from Vol 2 Book 1 are capped at level 40 (I just checked one of my toons that still has them), scrolls of delving do not work on them (I personally tried that on another toon, the scroll did not change the exp cap of the starter LI on that toon). As Yula pointed out, the DPS cap of LI weapons (and the class legacy on class LI's) is tied to the "to use" level (your character must be level X to use it) of the LI, so using a scroll of delving on a starter LI wouldn't be such a good idea even if the scroll did work on the LI.

LOTRO is a reasonably fast levelling game, it's not hard at all to outlevel your LI's faster than you can get the LI's to their exp caps so upgrading to LI's intended for higher character levels as your character levels up is more effective than hanging on to lower level LI's and trying to get them to their exp caps. Picking up new LI's will be slow to begin with but you'll start picking up barter items inside Moria that you can trade for new LI's. The time to think about scrolls of delving is when you are getting close to the level cap and you know you'll be using the same LI's for a while (and the level cap is going up in only a few weeks from now). Until you get close to the level cap just think of LI's as a more complicated version of the non-legendary weapons you've been using and changing every few levels before now.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Quote Originally Posted by katarsis View Post
    Also why do people replace LI every few levels, is it not possible to find a really good LI early on and just stick to it?
    The base legacy is tied to the character level required to equip the item. For a legendary weapon - It is a continuation of what you have been using. Each time you level up there will be a new harder hitting legendary sword available for your use.

What will happen is that you will be using your starter weapon. You will slot a level 53 Minstrel sword. You quickly notice that the level 53 hits harder than your starter weapon. You switch to the level 53. Now your starter weapon will no longer grow. Trying to get it to 31 will be a hassle. I deconstructing my starters somewhere between 10-20.

If you are like me, you will swapping items so often that you will never get anything to 31. You will be deconstructing at 11 or 21 to free a slot. Legendary items are like candy. I've gone thru hundreds on each character. A lot of them I deconstructed at level 2 because they are coming in faster than I can get them to 11.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.