We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Visual Guide To Minstrels in Rise of Isengard

Rise of Isengard – Learning How to Play a Minstrel All Over Again

Hello! This post is about the Rise of Isengard expansion and how it changes Minstrels. There are a LOT of changes coming to the game in terms of stats/ratings and general gameplay, and while I will touch on them briefly, this post is mainly about the revamp to the Minstrel class. There will be a lot of screenshots and a lot of complicated explanation. Moreover, I’m not an objective observer, so you’ll notice my obvious bias coming into play in some cases. Please forgive me and feel free to skip over my personal opinions, or argue about why I am wrong wrong wrong.

I’m posting this because I want to help the Minstrel community learn about the changes to our class. I’ve tried my best to cover everything, but I’m sure I missed something. Please comment to fill in any blanks I forgot or if I made a mistake somewhere! I’d like this to be an evolving resource.

Also, please note that everything here is subject to change. This is still a beta build I’m talking about on Bullroarer and our lovely developer may decide to change something based on feedback and bug reports before launch.

This will be broken up into parts for easier reading, although everything is obviously interconnected and I will refer back and forth.

I. Traits
    II. Skills
    III. Healing Mechanics
    IV. DPS Mechanics
    V. Gear

Enjoy the read! (There is no tl;dr version of this post, sorry!)

I. Traits

The Rise of Isengard expansion reminds me a bit of the Mines of Moria expansion in that we have so many new traits that it may take people awhile to get used to them and learn what they do. We still have the familiar traitlines, though. However, there is now a distinct difference between our two “healing” traitlines that makes us more specialized depending on how we trait.

-The Watcher of Resolve

The Watcher of Resolve line has become the undisputed preferred line of the pure healer. The traits in this line are all great for a healing Minstrel that doesn’t want to do much besides pure healing. Traiting 7-WoR will no longer be unheard of, I think, because the traits are just that good.

Let’s take a look at them!

Life-Singer
    It used to be that this trait was my savior when healing and trying to maintain my power. Instead of giving -10% Healing Power Costs, it now gives +10% Chance to Score Critical Heals and +1% Healing Bonus From All Ballad Buffs (see Healing Mechanics for a more detailed explanation of what that +1% means). Frankly, I miss the old –power cost trait because even with our new power return on Coda under the effects of Anthem of Composure, healing at level 75 is VERY power intensive. However, an extra 10% chance to crit heal is very nice. If you have a regular crit chance of 1 in 10 heals, then this trait will raise it to 2 in 10 heals, on average.

The second part of the trait helps your baseline outgoing healing. Every time you use a ballad, the ballad buffs you a certain amount of outgoing healing. With this trait in, each ballad you put up will give you an extra 1% outgoing healing, so that with all of your ballads up you’ll have an extra 3% outgoing healing. So while I will miss the power savings, this is still a nice trait.

Silver Tongue
    This trait used to modify our songs, decreasing the cooldown on them by 20%. I really like the old version of this trait because it affected Lay/Lyric of the Hammerhand, Song of Soothing, Song of the Dead, Fellowship’s Heart, Song of Vigour, and Song of Balance. However, Song of the Hammerhand is now a completely different skill, Song of Vigour and Song of Balance are gone for good, and the cooldown on Fellowship’s Heart has been drastically reduced. I will really miss being able to get Song of Soothing down to 25 seconds from 30 and Song of the Dead down to 18 seconds (with the legacy). Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

Now this trait adds +25% healing to critical heals. Paring this trait with Life-singer makes it pretty powerful in terms of healing more. I believe that if a Minstrel can get a nice high crit chance that they’ll be able to really increase their healing output.

Focused Performance
    This is one of the few traits that hasn’t changed. This is still a great trait for healing, reducing our inductions by -10%. It is a must-trait for any main-healing Minstrel.

Graceful Demeanour
    This trait, too, remains the same as it always has been. I like this trait and will use it whenever I have the space to slot it, especially if I am in a group without any other people who could potentially rez in-combat.
    Last edited by Cloudie-wan; Aug 30 2011 at 03:39 PM.
    Narlinde, level 100 Minstrel, Rank 11, Member of Trucido ~ Windfola

Re: Visual Guide To Minstrels in Rise of Isengard

Subtle Movements
    The old version of Subtle Movements decreased the healing threat of Minstrels by some undefined amount. We never really knew if it decreased the threat of each heal or if it reduced our perceived threat. I know some Minstrels that always slot this, but I have personally never felt that it was worth it at all. We have Lute Strings, Anthem of Compassion, Song of Soothing, Theorbos, and -10% Threat From Healing legacy on our weapons. If you needed the old version of this trait to keep from pulling aggro, then you needed better Fellowship members.

The new version of this trait has to be the best gift to healing Turbine has ever given us. Now, with this trait in, Bolster Courage will not be set back by damage when you are being hit. Now, please note that this does NOT mean that things which have true interrupt skills can’t interrupt you. For example, many birds across the game have an interrupt skill that they can fire off to make sure your inductions don’t go off. Certain Creep classes also have skills which will interrupt your inductions. But! When four mobs are hitting you, you will now be able to keep on healing! Yay!

Improved Song of Soothing
    This is the improved version of this trait, making it actually worthwhile to slot if you think you need it! The old version of this trait made Song of Soothing instant-cast but also increased the cooldown on it, so I never found it worth it. The new version keeps Song of Soothing instant-cast when traited, but instead of increasing the cooldown of the skill, the trait increases the range of the skill. The increased range is actually kind of nice, because we most need it for ranged mobs that are pinging us from a distance. I still don’t think that I, personally, need to trait this one, as we have so many other ways to reduce threat, but some Minstrels will find it very useful.

Improved Raise the Spirit
    We got this trait in our last update when Enedwaith was released. It’s a great trait to get off a quick heal and I often use it for when I’m main-healing.

Power of Song
    This is another trait we got with Enedwaith. I don’t really care for it much, personally, but a lot of Minstrels trait it for both the (very minimal) +power and the ability to occasionally use War-speech Calls when healing. The trait remains the same, but now there is an added graphic effect to help Minstrels know when their War-speech skills are unlocked. When this is traited, now you’ll be able to see a visual on your character rather than just see your quickslots light up. Here is a screeshot of what it looks like when the skills open up.
    Last edited by Cloudie-wan; Aug 30 2011 at 03:41 PM.

Trait Set Bonuses

2-Equipped
    The bonus for equipping two of the Watcher of Resolve traits is +5% Outgoing Healing.

3-Equipped
    The bonus for equipping three of the Watcher of Resolve traits is +10% Chord of Salvation Healing and +1% Outgoing Healing to Major Ballad Buffs.

4-Equipped
    The bonus for equipping four of the Watcher of Resolve traits is really nice. Firstly, Anthem of Compassion will persist through combat or until a Coda is used. What that means is that you only have to hit Anthem of Compassion once during the duration of your combat state and then after that it is a permanent buff until combat ends. Actually, it persists 9 seconds beyond combat, rather like the old version of Red Haze for Champions. All of the 4-equipped bonuses have one anthem they do this for, and Anthem of Compassion makes sense for our healing line. With 4 Watcher of Resolve traits equipped you will have -40% threat generation for an entire fight unless you use a Coda.

The other two bonuses for 4-equipped in this trait set directly effect your outgoing healing. With 4-equipped you get a +10% base modifer to outgoing healing and +2% outgoing healing on Major Ballad buffs. With 4-equipped WoR traits, including the extra 1% from Life-singer, you can have +7% outgoing healing on every iteration of Major Ballads for a total of +21% outgoing healing from Major Ballad buffs and +15% outgoing healing from the trait set bonuses. +36% outgoing healing with your ballad buffs up is nothing to scoff at.

5-Equipped
    With 5 Watcher of Resolve traits equipped, you can use the Legendary Spirit capstone, which doubles the healing from your Soliloquy of Spirit.

-The Protector of Song

The Protector of Song traitline has been described by our lovely developer as the “mastery” line for Minstrels. Going into this traitline turns Minstrels into a true hybrid class, in my opinion. You will not be able to main-heal extremely difficult raid-level content with this line, but you will be able to heal just about anything else, I think. I am still a bit sketchy on how I will use this line. It’s really powerful, but also a difficult line to manage. Traited Protector of Song, we will be melee healing/off-DPS/buffs. The buffs are the important part of that last sentence, as they are really powerful. I really believe that we will be able to take the place of Captains in a Fellowship or Raid and be as wanted for our buffs as they are.

Glorious Anthem
    This trait has seen some changes over the course of the game, but still remains the same in its functionality. It used to increase the duration of our Anthems by 15 seconds, then in the last update it increased the duration by 50%. Now it will increase the duration of our anthems by 5 seconds. This is important because the regular duration on anthems is only 10 seconds with a 15 second cooldown. If you want to keep up our uber buffs, you’ll need to trait this one.

Absolute Pitch
    This trait gives -1% reduction in power costs for all ballads. This covers Major, Minor, and Perfect ballads so we can get an extra -3% power costs for all non-anthem skills. With out power problems healing at max level, this might be a very nice trait for us to have.

Heralded Savior
    This trait used to increase the duration of Song of Aid to 20 seconds, but that functionality has been given to the regular skill. Now, this trait gives +25% healing to Noble Cause enhanced Herald’s Strikes. Personally, I really feel that this trait should give more than just that, but it still isn’t all that bad to slot if you are going to be melee-healing. In testing, I applied heals in a range up to 500 with this trait in, which is a NICE bit of group-wide healing for a low power cost. Also remember that with Coda used under the effects of Anthem of Prowess (see below for details about these skills), you will receive the effect of Noble Cause without actually putting the skill on cooldown. Major Ballad also appears to modify the outgoing heal on Noble Cause enhanced Herald’s Strikes, as does traiting into Watcher of Resolve and using your standard outgoing healing gear. Good stuff, guys!
    Last edited by Cloudie-wan; Aug 30 2011 at 03:46 PM.

Smooth Voice
    Since we no longer have Ballad of Vigour and Ballad of Balance, we can no longer turn them into Songs, thus this trait had to change. Now it reduces the cooldown on Anthems by 5 seconds and it decreases the power costs of Ballads by 5%. This trait is another really necessary one if you want to have good buffs simply because it reduces the cooldown on Anthems. Remember that all Anthems share a cooldown and thus it is pretty difficult to keep more than 1 up at any time. This trait helps with that problem. Also, while a decrease of 5% in the cost of Ballads is minimal (for example, it took my Ballads from costing 123 power down to 117 power), any little reduction in power costs helps, especially since they took away the trait that halves the power cost of running our tales.

Flow of Harmony
    This trait used to reduce the power costs of running tales by 50% and was especially useful if you were using the capstone of this line to run dual tales. Now it reduces the power costs of our Anthems by 10%. My Anthem power costs were 228 at level 75, but with this trait and a Lute I was able to get the costs down to 128. If you trait to have good buffs, which is what this line is for, you’ll optimally be hitting an Anthem every 5 seconds. In other traitlines Anthems will be used only every 15 seconds, so this trait is less useful, but still a nice one to slot. Reducing power usage is necessary for any Minstrel because you won’t always have the option of other power restores. The Protector of Song trait set is also focused on keeping your buffs up, so you will not want to use Coda of Resonance under the effects of Anthem of Composure to get the minor power-over-time effect because that will cancel out all your buffs until you can get them back up very often.

Battle-hymn
    This trait used to be the mainstay of the soloing Minstrel, as it granted you the in-combat morale regen of Anthem of the Free Peoples so you didn’t have to heal yourself while you damaged 3 mobs at once. Improved Cry of the Valar (which used to be Anthem of Valar; see the Skills section for details) now does that without a trait, however, so this trait had to do something new. Unfortunately, now this trait is a complete dud. Battle-hymn at level 75 gives +186 Evade from Anthem of Prowess and + 90 to Armour from Anthem of Prowess. That is such a minimal buff that I really don’t see myself ever slotting this trait. My Bannerguard skirmish soldier gives better buffs than that.

Lyrics of Bravery
    This trait used to give the Minstrel a lot of Fear resist and gave Ballad of Composure the ability to buff our Fellowships for a lot of Shadow mitigation. This was a must-have trait for bosses that did a lot of Shadow damage (I’m looking at you, Ivar!). Now this trait is a self-only buff of +300 Resistance and +450 Tactical Defense to the Minstrel when traited. It feels rather bland to me. I don’t really like traits that do nothing to modify skills because I can build up stats in other ways. This is why Enduring Morale and Power of Song used to be such boring, unnecessary traits and why I’m very glad that they’ve been changed to something worth using. I, personally, will probably never use this trait for that reason, but some Minstrels may find it worthwhile for the extra survivability it will confer on them.

Heralded Resolve
    This trait used to give a shot of morale to the Minstrel when using non-Noble Cause enhanced Herald’s Strikes. Now, it instead gives power while still keeping the +10% incoming healing to the Minstrel that it also used to give. At level 75, this skill gives +146 power to the Minstrel every 10 seconds if you can use Herald’s Strike that often. I wish that it was more, as that is a net gain of less than 40 power from using the skill. Actually, if this trait made non-Noble Cause Herald Strikes cost zero power, then I think that it would be worth using as a power return, but as it is, not so much. I’d really only use this trait if I really thought I’d be needing that extra 10% of incoming healing in a fight and if I knew the fight would allow me to be in melee range and using it every chance I could.

Trait Set Bonuses

2-Equipped
    The bonus for equipping 2 of the Protector of Song traits is -20 seconds to the cooldown of Call to Greatness. This is a huge nerf to the set bonus that is compounded by the fact that they raised the cooldown on Call to Greatness from 5 minutes to 10 minutes. Previously, the set bonus was -20% cooldown which allowed us to use Call to Greatness every 4 minutes. Now with this bonus we will be able to use Call to Greatness every 9 minutes and 40 seconds! Woo hoo? I’m still really hoping that there has been a mistake somewhere and that this is a bug that will be fixed. Even if the developers really did want to raise the cooldown on Call to Greatness for some inexplicable reason to 10 minutes, the set bonus for this line should at LEAST be -20% rather than -20 seconds, giving us a cooldown of 8 minutes. Hopefully both the skill cooldown and the set bonus are errors and will be fixed by launch (or in Update 5, if we’re in the final beta build).

3-Equipped
    The bonus for equipping 3 of the Protector of Song traits is -5 seconds to Anthem cooldowns and -1% power reduction bonus to Perfect Ballad buffs. Both of these set bonuses are very nice, although I do wish the power reduction on Perfect Ballads was applied to Anthems, too.

4-Equipped
    The bonuses for equipping 4 of the Protector of Song traits are extensive, but we’re missing one of the old bonuses. Before Rise of Isengard, traiting 4-deep into Protector of Song gave the Minstrel Improved Tale of Warding and Improved Tale of Battle for extra armor and extra wound resistance respectively. Equipping 4 Protector of Song traits no longer gives those bonuses to armor and wound resistance on the tales and the only way to get them back is to trait the capstone legendary for this traitline. I will miss it, because one of my standard raid-healing builds was 4-PoS with Tale of Warding for the extra mitigation from the armor, but I’m sure I’ll adjust to having to make harder traiting choices.

The new set bonuses for this traitline are good, too. Anthem of the Third Age – Harmony now persists through combat or until a Coda is used. Anthem of the Third Age changes depending on stance, just like it currently does, so to get the full effect of this set bonus you must be in the new Harmony stance (traited four deep into PoS but in Melody or War-speech, the Anthem will not persist). Anthem of the Third Age – Harmony give the buff of -20% Anthem power costs to the Minstrel. With Anthem of the Third Age – Harmony, a Lute equipped, and the trait Flow of Harmony traited, my Anthems at level 75 only cost 82 power, which is a VERY nice decrease and will help us maintain our buffs without running out of power.

The other set bonuses for this traitline are -5 seconds to Anthem cooldowns, +5 seconds to Anthem durations, and -2% power reduction bonus to Perfect Ballad buffs. These are all very handy, especially the Anthem modifiers. With a maxed out Legacy for +Anthem Duration as well as the 4-traited bonus for this line and including the traits Glorious Anthem and Smooth Voice, you will be able to get the cooldown on all of your Anthems to 5 seconds rather than 15 seconds and the duration of the Anthems to 30 seconds rather than 10 seconds. This is HUGE because it allows for the possibility to keep up all six of your ballads at once. In practice, the demands of healing my group in this traitline made it possible for me to keep up only about 4 of the Anthem buffs at a time, but the possibility is there. And guys, I must repeat it, but our Anthem buffs are AMAZING (go down to the skills section and read more about them) and the ability to keep them up when traited this way is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

5-Equipped
    With 5 Protector of Song traits equipped, you will be able to use the Legendary capstone trait Master of Tales. Master of Tales allows you to use either Tale of Frost and Flame’s Battle (71 Vitality, 2435 Resistance, 563 Frost Defense, and 563 Fire Defense for your Fellowship) or Tale of Warding and Heroism (2025 Armour, +1 Hope, 85 Will, and 85 Fate for your Fellowship).

-The Warrior-skald

Ahh, Warrior-skald, my old friend! Of all the traitlines, this one has changed the least. That’s a good thing, because we’ve never been stronger in terms of our ability to do solo DPS. Soloing in Warrior-skald is like a dream in Rise of Isengard, guys. I found myself able to jump right into the new area at level 65 with my solo gear and it was smooth, smooth sailing. I felt like a god and I leveled up to 67 in no time at all. However, don’t make the mistake of thinking that we can fulfill a main-DPS role in a Fellowship without a crippling amount of support, guys. At level 75 our War-speech damage has not scaled well at all with the mob morale and our power costs are still high when we try to nuke. On the other hand, in PvMP we will no longer be rooted by any of our non-induction skills which… guys, I have tears in my eyes it is so very, very beautiful (see the Skills section for more info on Improved Cry of the Valar and Cry of the Wizards). All that and full self-healing ability when in War-speech is a glorious thing! (Creeps, start the QQ now!)

OK, on to the traits!

Discordant Melody
    This trait gives +5% critical chance for Ballads. Um, rah? Of all of our damage-dealing skills, Ballads are the least powerful for all that we can spam them (although we can’t really spam them anymore, as there are only 3 and the main damage one is Minor Ballad which has a 1 second cooldown, which may not seem like a lot on paper but sure feels like a lot when I want to get up three Minor Ballads as fast as I can and Improved Cry of the Chorus (War-speech) is on cooldown). While this trait will undoubtedly increase your DPS, I don’t think it is truly worth slotting. I’m having to work exceptionally hard to maintain a tactical crit rating of a mere 10% at level 75 due to the positive dearth of +tactical crit gear, so having a 15% chance to crit on my lowest damage-deal skills just doesn’t do it for me. I don’t consider this one to be all that good compared to almost all of the other Warrior-skald traits.

Powerful Voice
    At level 75, this trait gives you -1050 reduction in target resist chance for Cries and Calls (which includes Invocation of Elbereth, Improved Piercing Cry, Major Ballad, Minor Ballad, Perfect Ballad, Echoes of Battle, Timeless Echoes of Battle, Call of Orome, Call of the Second Age, Call to Fate, Improved Cry of the Valar, and Cry of the Wizards, but does not include Coda of Resonance/Fury). Being resisted sucks a lot, so if you really hate it you can use this trait to counteract it. Personally, I don’t think I’ll bother with it because being resisted while solo is a paint, but not all that important. I mean, c’mon, we’re not Lore-masters here where being resisted could cause a raid-wipe, you know?

Light in the Dark
    This trait gives +10% to Ballad and Coda damage and +1% damage to all Ballad buffs. I’ll take +10% damage, yes please! This trait is especially yummy with Coda of Fury with the +13% damage (because you can’t use Coda if you don’t have 3 Ballad buffs up). Fully traited for it, I’ve seen Coda of Fury crit mobs for upwards of three thousand damage. Juicy! (Creeps, here I come!)

Unrelenting
    I know Minstrels who don’t even untrait this when they are healing, it’s that good. No Minstrel in their right mind would try to DPS without it. It’s the same as ever – +30% crit chance to Piercing Cry and a 5 second stun on crit. LOVE this trait.

Herald’s Hammer
    This trait also remains the same, giving the Minstrel +100% damage to Herald’s Strike. I think that this trait would be very nice paired with the various other Herald’s Strike traits in the Protector of Song line if you are trying to provide extra melee damage in the role of off-DPS in a group. Unfortunately, this trait will not be as strong in Rise of Isengard as it previously has been because the 2-equipped bonus for Warrior-skald has changed and we will not longer have a 7 second cooldown on Herald’s Strike but will have the full 10 second cooldown. I’m not thrilled with this change, but I can deal with it.

On the other hand, our melee DPS is no longer governed by our Might (which is always pretty low for a Minstrel), but rather by our Will. My Herald's Strike with this trait equipped crit for 1k damage on the test server and the base damage of the skill has increased, too, for just this reason.

Armour of Song
    This trait gives +20% additional contribution to from all armour sources. This trait sounds good, but I’m not really sure what it does. It is replacing our Medium Armour Use trait, but it certainly doesn’t provide the same amount of mitigation as it did. When I equip this, my physical and various non-common tactical mitigations don’t go up much more than 1% and usually even less.

I think that this trait works as follows: if I have a piece of armour that has 100 armour rating on it, then with this trait equipped I should receive the mitigation of 120 armour rating instead. Adding it all up across all of my armour, I should be 1/5th hardier than another Minstrel without this trait, all things being equal. In all honesty, if that really is how this trait works and I’m not misunderstanding it, I’m not sure it is all that worthwhile to slot. Perhaps other Minstrel testers could chime in here? This is the one trait that I don’t think I fully understand.

Improved Echoes of Battle
    This trait was given to us with Enedwaith and hasn’t been changed with Rise of Isengard. It still gives +10% damage to Echoes of Battle and Timeless Echoes of Battle. At level 75, my Timeless Echoes of Battle has a damage range of 188 – 267 without this trait and 207 – 296 with this trait in (note that these numbers are not really traited for damage, so if you work for it you can get them higher). It’s a nifty little trait for fighting bigger mobs, but not one I usually slot for soloing
    Last edited by Cloudie-wan; Sep 01 2011 at 02:59 AM.

What Armor/Cosmetic?

Going to sound a little random, but anyone know what cosmetics/armor the minstrel is wearing in this photo (from post #3)?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudie-wan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer3791 View Post
    Going to sound a little random, but anyone know what cosmetics/armor the minstrel is wearing in this photo (from post #3)?

Thanks.
    The chestpiece, gloves, and boots are from the Burglar Ost Dunhoth set (can be purchased using Medallions of the North-Men at Harndirion in Enedwaith). The legs and shoulders are quest rewards (light armor) from Dunland, and appear under multiple different names throughout the zone.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudie-wan View Post
    The chestpiece, gloves, and boots are from the Burglar Ost Dunhoth set (can be purchased using Medallions of the North-Men at Harndirion in Enedwaith). The legs and shoulders are quest rewards (light armor) from Dunland, and appear under multiple different names throughout the zone.

Hey, thanks for the guide! I've been away from the game for a long time, so this will definitely help!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000002b0da/01004/signature.png]Jilla[/charsig]
    Vilya's Ambassador of Happiness, Goodwill, and Fuzzy Kittens' and Somesuch!