We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

confused about relics...

hi all,

being new to this minigame that is legendary weapons, i find myself at a loss as to what to do with my relics. so far i've slotted relics for each of the two legendary weapons on my warden. whenever i find a LI i can't equip, i decon it and keep the relic. my question is, should i start fiddling around with melding relics now or just keep laying up relics and not worry about them until endgame?

or maybe i should up the tier of the relics i want and slot them whenever i change legendary weps (which i hear should be done every other level or so)?

any advice would be appreciated.

Re: confused about relics...

One thing to remember about relics is that you can not get them back out of legendary item unless you buy a single use extraction tool from the store. Exception is crafted relics which never get back.

In my case, I did not use any relics until after I got my final items which are level 65 second ages. When Isengard launches, I will eventually pull my relics with store bought removal tools. Not use any relics until I have my level 75 items which will likely be second ages again.

Some customers generate massive numbers of relics so they do not mind throwing relics into the trash can. I personally not have the time or inclination to go that route. We think each other is crazy.

You will have to decide for yourself.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Aug 24 2011 at 08:38 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    One thing to remember about relics is that you can not get them back out of legendary item unless you buy a single use extraction tool from the store. Exception is crafted relics which never get back.

In my case, I did not use any relics until after I got my final items which are level 65 second ages. When Isengard launches, I will eventually pull my relics with store bought removal tools. Not use any relics until I have my level 75 items which will likely be second ages again.

Some customers generate massive numbers of relics so they do not mind throwing relics into the trash can. I personally not have the time or inclination to go that route. We think each other is crazy.

I'm only lvl 59 right now and still grinding relics but I have the same exact plan. I have 4 tier 6 so far stored up.

I feel like writing a minor wall of text now, here goes:

There is 3 ways to go about this.

1: use your mightiest relics in your items while levelling to levelcap, and when you replace them, use store scroll of relic removal to regain them for next item.
    benefit: best stats and ratings, influencing your survivability and dps positively (unless you do something suicidal, in which case it would only delay the inevitable)
    disadvantage: very large TP bill depending on how often you switch items

2: use t1-t3 relics (easily gained from deconstructing LI on level 2) and let those be gone when you decon the items
    benefit: good ratings, but not your best possible (option 1): adds to your survivability and dps
    disadvantage: lower ratings than option 1

3: use nothing in your LI and live with lower stats and ratings than you could.
    benefit: all the relics you accumulate until you hit levelcap will be with yoi then.
    disadvantage: your stats and ratings will be the lowest possible, which will influence your dps/survivability negatively.

Option 1 and 3 is extreme ( 1 costing you lots of TP and 3 costing you a significant penalty to your ratings compared to using relics of any kind) , option 2 is fairly nonwasteful while letting you enjoy the benefit of relics. The cheaper ones add pretty much to your ratings etc even on tier 1-3, the tier 6 nonmelded relics are just beefed up versions of those.
    Thats why I would recommend option 2, rather than Yula's option 3. The loss of lowtiered relics is in the long term fairly inconsequential. As long as you dont equip and decon LI that you put relics in several times on one level regularly, but thats not a very good strategy.

Option 1 is obviously intended for levelcap btw.
    You also asked "should I meld".
    Recommendation is to put that on hold until you can get shards efficently. Current best practice is not to refine regular t1-t6 relics or crafted relics, but to barter pvp skill relics in ettens and refine those for 336 shards each.
    This would require you to ented delving of fror in ettenmoors and farm signatures there for the barter items. Level 65 would be highly benefical to have when going there (you can be pvp'd )

If you have an army of toons who are SMK with their respective guilds, sharding crafted relics really isn't a bad way to go, especially for those of us who are allergic to the Moors.

I agree that using T1-T3 stuff in levelling weapons is reasonable - if all else fails, they're dirt-cheap at skirmish vendors. As to melding, just meld the ones you need as you go for now, e.g., you have four healy settings, but you need might settings - simple enough to turn the healy settings into might settings or vice-versa, and off you go.

You are crazy

Anyway, tier 1-4 relics are pretty easy to get, and can be used in "temporary" weapons with basically no loss. You can get low tier relics by deconing a few LIs at level 2 (or 11). LIs are trivial to get given that the level and legacies don't matter, whether as AH bargains, khudzul tablets, dwarf tools, etc. Or 1 run of a skirmish gets you some tier 1s, etc. And a few quick runs of Northcotton Farms will give you a stack of tier 4 relics if you are up to that run and don't object to slapping hobbits around.

I'm guessing I'll put some relics in level 70 weaps, in level 75 third ages, but as you say not really good ones until I get some level 75 second ages. That assumes that the LI revamp doesn't arrive and make things all different than than they are now, and I'm not holding my breath...

Quote Originally Posted by Morbeleg View Post
    3: use nothing in your LI and live with lower stats and ratings than you could.
    benefit: all the relics you accumulate until you hit levelcap will be with yoi then.
    disadvantage: your stats and ratings will be the lowest possible, which will influence your dps/survivability negatively.
    Turbine has made the landscape content that we consum to level up so easy, you do not need the firepower or survivability. For example, I used crafted gear, quest rewards and 3rd legendary items on my burglar to go from 60-65. I did 60 to 62 in Mirkwood. 62 to 65 in Endewaith. It is very easy. Total number of deaths 2-5. Given the beating I took. tier 3 relics would not have helped.

I understand DelgonTheWise's point, about replacing them. Given the lack of danger leveling, it not worth any loss of materials. Using or not using relics leveling up is not going to change your leveling progress. I remember being in the beta for Mirkwood. I was doing quests around Ost Galadh with a level 60 second age - no relics - no legacy points spent - base DPS on the bow. It was quite doable. Level 60 Hunter.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Aug 26 2011 at 02:14 PM.

Not saying it is essential. But you do more damage and have better stats. Most people tend to like that, and seeng big nice crits
    Bringing in a burglar with few deaths that can hips every 5 min is totally not fair either

Not saying it is essential. But you do more damage and have better stats. Most people tend to like that, and seeng big nice crits
    Bringing in a burglar with few deaths that can hips every 5 min is totally not fair either
    When I am leveling I do not care about nice criticals or more damage. The goal is to maximize number of experience points earned per hour of game play. Anything that interferes with the earning of experience points - like standing at the relic master playing with relics - deciding what relics to slot - standing at a crafting station making gear is not helping. I am getting zero experience points while the clock is ticking.

When I am leveling I do not care about nice criticals or more damage. The goal is to maximize number of experience points earned per hour of game play. Anything that interferes with the earning of experience points - like standing at the relic master playing with relics - deciding what relics to slot - standing at a crafting station making gear is not helping. I am getting zero experience points while the clock is ticking.
    If you are going to get 5 levels out of an LI, throwing some tier 1-4 relics in takes little time in comparison and may well in the end speed you up (added crits, etc). Don't see your logic, but each plays in their own way...

I listed 3 ways to go. Use whichever you feel like, we're all different and have different taste.

Some people approach this as a job, and like any job, there are some aspects that are mundane and boring and other parts that make the time seem more productive.

Other people approach it as a game or sport... and yet the same thing applies.

Then there are clowns like me. I will level up my item and probably make a bunch of errors in judgment, but since it is not like my XP can go backwards, no harm done if perhaps some repeating of effort that I've learned how to do better the second or third or... well again whenever I get a 1st age item I want to keep.

I am under the impression that Yula hasn't made it to level 65 with any characters based on the strength of the legendary item. I also realize that some characters also rely quite heavily on the skills their items provide, or buffs that make you eke out at the end of battle when otherwise you may have lost. I do know that my choice to add a hundred or two morale via relics has saved me, having been surprised by something stalking nearby when I was in combat against a group. Were it not for the morale addition, I'd have been in the circle of shame!

So I do see both camps equally well. I suppose the best option then is to find one progression path you like. I agree that if I had limited time, as I frequently do, I do not want to spend it crafting at a forge or crafting at a relic master. But if I have enough time and no set goals, then meddling with the parts of the game that are not action related can be rewarding for me as well--and keep me alive when I am adventuring!

thanks to everyone for your replies! i have a follow-up question, if you don't mind.

i seem to have to choose between combining relics or refining them into shards. what's the best way to go about this? i'm inclined to think, "combine the relics i like to upgrade them and refine the rest", but i'm not sure whether the results of combining are controllable or just totally random.

Until you hit cap level refining relics to shards is the only way to get shards unless you luck out and crit.
    This is no matter how you turn it very wasteful.
    Until you hit levelcap you really shouldnt stress with the melded relics as they are inferior to what you get at levelcap, and the tier 1-6 relics you get along the way is well enough while you are in the levelling process.
    Once you hit levelcap you got time to deal with shards.

Best method to get shards is actually by grinding in DOF for glimmering and dull stones (glimmering only drop off signature creatures and above). Trade in 10 of each for your class item and get a sealed class relic back, decon it and then refine it for 336 shards. There is no limit on how many you can get in a day compared to crafted relics and you dont have to nuke your "real" relic supply.

Until you hit cap level refining relics to shards is the only way to get shards unless you luck out and crit.
    Not entirely true. At least, you can easily get crafted relics from lowlvl crafters which are the best source for shards as long as you cannot (or don't want to) grind the moors. But I agree, making regular relics you get from deconning into shards is an awful waste. Those are there to be combined to higher tiers.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]"HELP!!!!??"[/COLOR] is not an appropriate thread title.
    Only fools use [COLOR="#FF0000"]apostrophes[/COLOR] in a plural. That's when they're called fool's apostrophes.