We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unhappy This Reviewer Made Me Cry...

From a Deus Ex: Human Revolution review:

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Kuchera
    The weapon system is likewise refreshing. You have limited slots in your inventory for weapons... and the only way to upgrade weapons is to install a series of kits that give you bigger clips, silencers, and laser sights... I loaded my handgun with upgrades and turned it into a silenced, laser-sighted killing machine. I kept it with me throughout the entire game, and it began to feel like my personal sidearm instead of a generic weapon or throwaway upgrade.
    Oh, what could have been. *weep*
    Deus

Re: This Reviewer Made Me Cry...

I wanna cry too lmao.
    Aren't those the same things as the last Deus Ex game?.

The LI system always has been a great idea... just bad execution on Turbine's part...
    [SIZE="1"]Just realize that while champions are awesome, we want you to be awesome too. That's why we do the things we do. - Harumph[/SIZE]

[size=1]I'm fairly certain no one is leaving the game due to confusion of what a strawman is or isn't. Which tells me we're done here.
    [color=blue]Last edited by Sapience; Aug 16 2010 at 12:12 PM.[/color][/size]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000fec66/01008/signature.png]Vysion[/charsig]

There was so much potential, but unfortunately, and as always with turbine, they fumbled.
    [CENTER][FONT=Garamond][B][COLOR=#424242]« [COLOR=#FF0000]S[/COLOR]eyz [COLOR=#FF0000]V[/COLOR]anguard - R14 »[/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042040000000a4551/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

I have to agree. When they first introduced the idea, it sounded like you got a weapon, and upgraded it as you leveled up. Nope. Pipe dream. And I hate it when I have to give one up because it's too low, now.

Oh, yes, the first Deus Ex had a similar system. Haven't played the new one, so I don't know if it's exactly the same. I kept the same basic weapons throughout the first game. Different types of weapons dropped during the game, but if you liked your original handgun, you could just keep upgrading the slots on it, and never get rid of the actual weapon.

Turbine's idea is to make money. Deus Ex's idea is to have fun.

Wellp, Deus Ex HR completed.. and there is the catch: replyability value seem to me minor, as you can select at the very end what ending you wish, and it is obvious you can save before making your choice.
    The LI system while obviously not everyone's cup of tea adds a element to the game that either turn players away or give them something to do when they hit level cap - as there is no additional use for exp at that point. I wish we could get alternate skills like back in EQ.. but oh well.

If by failing you mean the LI system did not live up to its marketing hype and (therefore) our expectations? Then I suppose that's accurate.

But as a system that was always intended to keep us playing and on the "treadmill" I think Turbine would say it has succeeded admirably. The veneer of it being a "legendary weapon" that "grows" and "develops" with you was always just the vehicle by which they wanted to introduce more opportunities to stretch content and keep us pressing the lever and receiving our piece of food.

That's just the nature of MMOs of every stripe. It's not even Turbine's fault. Heck, even had Legendary Items turned out differently and more in line with our imaginations and expectations, there certainly would have been some other LI-like grind introduced alongside it.

The problem is not the grind, you can make the grind repetitive or progressive.
    At the moment is a grind that you feel is not taking you anywhere since sooner or later you will have to change your weapon again.
    It could be a grind to keep players hooked but instead than do, break, start all over again... do this grind, great you weapon has grown this far, next patch your weapon can grow a bit more, another grind, would be something ideal for patches between expansions where your char does not progress a lot, but instead your weapon does.
    Aleatar (HNT) Altuntun (MNS) Alearwyn (CPT) Aleawen (WRD) Alearelda (BRG) Aleariel (RK) Alearan (LM) Aleathelion (GRD)
    Alturrorz (WRG) Espinete (RVR) Don Pinpon (DFR) Alealuk (BA) Alamuete (WL) Farruquita (WVR)

A legendary item that truly follow you.. its a nice idea. Just not without pitfalls.
    There is some problems with letting any 2nd/1st age weapons grow with the players. First off, it would let people grab easy to get lvl 60 1st agers from turtle, or lvl 60/65 from crafting(skirm barter) and then develop them up to the levelcap item level. I would suppose for this reason, we have fixed itemlevels instead of itemlevels that rank up with your own characterlevel. It would make the LI's too fast to max, and reduce the amount of time the players spend outside their favorite activities to do "maintenance" (maintenance = all the stuff you do to keep yourself supplied with pots, keep LI current/upgrades and so on) grind. Which would give you less of a reason to log in as often as you currently do. And thats obviously one of the purposes for the LI grind/repeat with each new levelcap, from a business perspective. Keep em busy.
    Maybe though, we could get 3rd agers that rank up its itemlevel with us. As long as 2nd/first agers remain competitive with and more desirable than the 3rd ager, the system should not break.
    After all, we still need random 3rd ager drops to make ixp pills, decon for relics and legacy scrolls etc.

The 'pitfalls' are easily remedied. Different tiered weapons are available at certain levels only. There might even need to be a 4th tier. The lowest tier is available at all levels. The next higher up is only available in harder content at higher levels. And the top tier is only available at the highest levels at the hardest levels. A new tier could be introduced in RoI, however, strictly speaking, it's not necessary.

There's no reason the LI system couldn't have been made to level with the player. However, they DID have a reason not to do that. Money. And it has nothing to do with grinding, because done right, both systems require long periods of grinding. Their greed is the only reason. That's why we don't have a better system. Because it's not better for them. Only us.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenasp View Post
    The 'pitfalls' are easily remedied. Different tiered weapons are available at certain levels only. There might even need to be a 4th tier. The lowest tier is available at all levels. The next higher up is only available in harder content at higher levels. And the top tier is only available at the highest levels at the hardest levels. A new tier could be introduced in RoI, however, strictly speaking, it's not necessary.

There's no reason the LI system couldn't have been made to level with the player. However, they DID have a reason not to do that. Money. And it has nothing to do with grinding, because done right, both systems require long periods of grinding. Their greed is the only reason. That's why we don't have a better system. Because it's not better for them. Only us.
    Quite so. Now, how to sell Turbine a improved system merging both your idea with a similar money idea that turbine use now.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbeleg View Post
    Quite so. Now, how to sell Turbine a improved system merging both your idea with a similar money idea that turbine use now.
    That's not impossible, either, but is a major change to the system. It will cost money to develop, and that's the hard sell part. They already have a system that most people have grown used to, and it's already paid for. This thread is wishful thinking about what could have been.

The best way to develop this now is in a new game. Although, since I'm an eternal optimist, I'll go on wishing for something that will never arrive. I'll even contribute to the development if they wish my help!!