We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Learning how to do instances & raids

I have to admit, I'm level 56 and I've never really joined an instance or raid such as the ones in Moria. To be honest I'm a bit put off, because all the messages I see asking to recruit people are generally daily runs, so they're looking for people who know what they're doing. I can't join these, but then I can't get experience. I was wondering if there were others in a similar situation - and I was thinking perhaps we should team up and work together to build up some experience, or maybe someone who knows them well can guide us through. I know there's plenty of guides online but I'd like to run through and just try it.
    Any thoughts?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b225000000051e68/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: Learning how to do instances & raids

People on my server (Dwarrowdelf) are pretty laid back. I took a break around lvl 50 to go play wow, and when I came back I really wanted to run instances. Even if it is a daily, just jump on in. I usually let them know its my first run, and ask for any tips they might have. In a 6 man, if one player is a little new, the group should still be fine. Lol, I heard of a hunter in one group that never fired a single shot the whole run, and it went just fine.

Just remember your role. You are a Hunter, so you are DPS (damage per second) which is a great place to start because it is the least essential role. When dpsing, target what the tank is targeting, and give him a couple seconds to gain the mobs attention (aggro). The tanks job is to keep everything attacking him, the healer keeps him alive, and DPS kills them. If you pull aggro on yourself its not a good thing, especially as a hunter.

There are exceptions to this, as always, but communication through the group is essential. I would rather say 'I don't know how' than say 'sure' and get everyone killed. Lotro, ime, is much more laid back and full of people who will teach you (though they may harass you slightly in the process .
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d21600000000eb7d/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

To get experience you have to run with more experienced people and learn from them. The cozy way to do it, is to be a member of a kinship and run instances like Grand Stair with your kin mates. If you're not in a kin you will have to run with pickup groups (PuGs). Level 56 is a good time to start with Grand Stair and all the other Moria instances. Daily or full, it doesn't matter, just run all the instances you can. Running two and three man skirmishes is also a good way of getting some grouping experience.

Being a hunter is both good and bad. The bad thing is that there are tons of hunters in LOTRO so you will be competing for space with lots of other people. The good thing is that in an instance like Grand Stair you need a dependable tank and a dependable healer; then the rest of the group can be muppets. Since you're neither tank or healer you're really not that important. You can still mess up thing, mostly by pulling agro, but if you listen to the leader you should be fine.

Running with a PuG can be a unique experience. I have ran with excellent leaders and excellent PuGs, willing to help and support you through the instance, but I have also been in awful groups with really unpleasant people yelling and screaming at each other. You never know what you're going to get, but every time you find a group of nice people you can add them to your friends list. Maybe you will find a friendly kinship that way (if you're not in a kin already).

Thanks for the replies =)
    That's true, I didn't think about the fact that I'm a Hunter, so my role is not as essential as a healer/tank, therefore it's not as much pressure. I'm conscious of the fact that Hunters can easily steal aggro, and I've learnt how to keep it off in smaller scale instances so that will help. Both replies have made me less worried about joining PUGs now, I'll try joining one soon and make sure to mention it's my first run. Thanks! =D However, if anyone else new to raids is interested in getting a group together to test run it, I'm up for that too.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b225000000051e68/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Find a kinship that takes the time to teach people how stuff works.

I joined Trueblood, and they did an awesome job there to teach me.
    There are usually a couple of GS runs each day ( both daily, and regular)

If you just listen to the leader, they won't get mad if you mess up.
    However is you keep messing up, because you don't they will tell you, which is only fair to the other players.

Find me ( Jonras) or anyone from our kin online to join us.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b225000000053593/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I understand your point Isolde.
    This is a thing that was brought up in our Kin chat yesterday.
    Some of our members were getting anoyed that for example when a Northcotton Farm was being called, it was always Tier 2. Whilst they didn't do it at Tier 1 yet and they still have to learn the instance.

In our kinship we try to get familiar with all the instances by doing them now and then.
    Meanwhile we are also trying to get our kinship members familiar with grouping.
    I have noticed several 65's who seem to have rushed to the level cap probably without grouping.
    Thus they don't yet understand what a Fellowship/Raid assist target is, they don't yet understand what Fellowship Manouvres are and can do. We teach them that slow but steady.

The reason why in our server there are few of these learning instances ran PuG-style is that Withywindle houses 2 major kinds of players.
    - Raiders and Hardcore Raiders who know every instance asap.
    - Players who put off doing instances and reaching level 65 a long time and thus have fallen behind doing instances.

The first group isn't that fond of letting the second group joining their instance runs (Based on personal experience).
    Bit of a shame really.
    Withywindle: Hargorin, 85 GRD; Tharwil, 53 CHMP and a whole lot more offspring

I suppose I make things more difficult for myself by wanting a kin that's not totally focused on raiding etc, kinship wise I'm interested in the social side, and I wasn't really bothered with raiding until now. But now I feel like I'm missing out on a lot, especially as I get closer to 60.
    Perhaps those kins that are taking time to talk their kin members through instances/raids would accept a few random players who also want to learn? To be honest I'd also be happy to consider joining another kin if the chat is pretty lively, and not just game-based - and if there's no requirement for joining X amount of raids a week or whatever, uni kind of gets in the way :P My current kin is a tiny (and relatively low-leveled) one consisting of a few RL friends so we're not really big enough to do raids by ourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinn_EU View Post
    I suppose I make things more difficult for myself by wanting a kin that's not totally focused on raiding etc, kinship wise I'm interested in the social side, and I wasn't really bothered with raiding until now. But now I feel like I'm missing out on a lot, especially as I get closer to 60.
    Perhaps those kins that are taking time to talk their kin members through instances/raids would accept a few random players who also want to learn? To be honest I'd also be happy to consider joining another kin if the chat is pretty lively, and not just game-based - and if there's no requirement for joining X amount of raids a week or whatever, uni kind of gets in the way :P My current kin is a tiny (and relatively low-leveled) one consisting of a few RL friends so we're not really big enough to do raids by ourself.
    We had the same problem. We duo'd mostly, and had no group experiance altho I understood the basic concept of tanks, dps, healers and the general gameplay when in a group.

The kin you are describing sounds like Trueblood all the way.
    The chat is lively most of the time and there is a really good vibe.
    We also have a kinship site.

ATM we are excepting players from all classes and levels, and we're always willing to pick up players outside our kin, altho most raids are advertised in the kinchat first, and tend to fill up there.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b225000000053593/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Free pub yay :P

Legends of the Rohirrim can be what you're looking for, we have lots of members (I think O.o), a lively chat (both on TS and ingame) and recently we've been recruiting a lot so we have no problem in teaching stuff (TS is like a family, just ask stuff or talk about silly stuff lol)

A lot of folks are starting their alts now so there are pretty good chances that we do a low lvl one. In one GB run we had one captain, four wardens and one mini (me ._.). It was aggro-hell and some people died but we completed it lol

We raid every day at 20:00 GMT, but newbies can also be there as long as they do as the leader says. For example me, on Tuesday I did my first The Rift of Nurz Gashu. Even with only 8 men we could manage it, and I was on a critical spot of a tank (not the main one though). There was also a lvl 50 who joined (he helped a bit but soon died, but at least he learned the way and spent some time in our group spirit^^). We couldn't 8 men the balrog ofc, but everyone (including me) did the strategy right
    Last edited by Chiolas; Aug 19 2011 at 11:31 AM.
    Retired for good.

Thanks for the replies! Will discuss things over with my kinmates, though I can't play much at the moment so I might not be able to reply to offers for a bit =)

Quote Originally Posted by Rinn_EU View Post
    If by 'uni' you mean University I totally understand you . I myself am in my Second year of law school. That always is more important than a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Aisolon View Post
    If by 'uni' you mean University I totally understand you . I myself am in my Second year of law school. That always is more important than a game.
    Yep I do - just going into my 3rd year, so dissertation time =/

Welcome to Edhel Annon Isolde
    Hope you'll have a good time with us.

Haha, thank you =)

I wanted to give some tips as well.
    Dont know how much you know about this so I'll give some friendly advice which are to be taken as such.
    Got a 65 hunter myself, and are experienced with instances and done plenty of them, including raids.

One thing you dont want to do in instance runs is use strength stance.
    The reason for this is that despite you doing large amounts of DPS, you will also generate large amounts of threat and are highly likely to draw aggro off the tank.
    This will piss off not just the tank but the healer, and you risk a wipe of the group as well.
    Tank will have to run around trying to get aggro back, and the healer will have a hard time keeping everyone alive this way.
    I seen it happen, and its not fun when you got a hunter in the group who simply cannot listen or dont care.

Also, you dont want to trait full red for it, you are better off with a couple blues and maybe yellow.
    Been a while since I played my hunter and not able to log on right now, or I would look up the traits I used to go with.
    I think I used to have 3 blue and rest red, but cant be sure.
    Use precision or endurance, precision is in my opinion the best as it gives a good balance between aggro management, dps and power usage.

Lastly I just wish you luck with your runs, and hope you get the experience you seek.

I knew about not using Strength stance already, but thanks for the reminder =) Most of the time I either solo or duo with my boyfriend and he's a warden so I know about not pulling aggro, although occasionally I use Strength when we're just trying to get a fight over and done with. I didn't think about the red traits so thanks for that advice! =D

Glad I could be of help.
    One thing that came to mind reading your reply, is that the red traitline is very power consuming, which is why I recommended some blues in between when doing instances.
    This is because you risk running out of power during a fight, especially boss fights that take some time.
    And also the red traitline gives you more dps output as well, and as you already know, the more dps, the higher the threat generation.

Though it is true as you say there are exceptions to the rule.
    If the group/raid leader ask you to use strength its ofc not an issue, but I have had runs where we almost had the boss down and then the tank or healer dies.
    In those cases I tend to go strength so as to get the boss down before we get wiped.

Long time since I played hunter really, but when I played my hunter the yellow traitline was more or less useless unless you knew what you were doing.

For solo/duo play, red is in my opinion the best way to go for the dps, since aggro is not much of an issue in those cases, if at all.

For group play like instances, a combination of red and blue gives you a good balance between power and aggro management as well as decent dps.

[QUOTE=Aisolon;5618364

The first group isn't that fond of letting the second group joining their instance runs (Based on personal experience).
    Bit of a shame really.[/QUOTE]

Why is it a shame?

You don't let fresh recruits straight into the Navy Seals do you
    ~Withywindle~
    Officer of Ithilien Illuminated.
    Gorbulas - Lloremaster.
    Gorb - Burglar

I think there's one thing every new player can do to make the start of his grouping career easier: Learning his skills. Practicing to use ALL of them would be even better, even if you're only doing landscape quests with a few others. If that's not possible, at least learn the tooltips.

I've played a captain as a first char, but I think it applies to every class that there are skills you will never ever use while soloing (or even duoing). While leveling, I only grouped up very sporadically and only for the usual suspects - GB, GA, Tomb of Elendil. Pugging as a captain isn't hard, and there's not much you can do wrong initially - plant a banner, yell a bit, hit your defeat responses when they're off cooldown and everybody's happy. But at the end of the 50s I started to run GS in PUGs. The second run already was a challenge run, and I was told to whip out my shield and tank the archers. Well, fortunately I had a shield (some quest reward, brand new and unused) and a onehander, but I had no idea how to "tank". I knew I had some aggro skills, but their names escaped me, they were hidden in some obscure corners of my hotbars, and I had no idea what they do exactly and how to use them effectively. Somehow I got that "tanking" job done, but hell, when I got out of that instance I inspected every single hotbar slot VERY closely, arranged and rearranged my skills and first and foremost asked others how they do it.

You can spare yourself that rude awakening if you learn as much as possible beforehand. Not about a specific instance and its mechanics, that's something every good leader will talk you through, but about the abilities of your char. If he tells you that the next boss will poison your whole group, he can expect that you know that you have an anti-poison skill you can use on others, even if you have never ever used it before.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]"HELP!!!!??"[/COLOR] is not an appropriate thread title.
    Only fools use [COLOR="#FF0000"]apostrophes[/COLOR] in a plural. That's when they're called fool's apostrophes.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStorm View Post
    Why is it a shame?

You don't let fresh recruits straight into the Navy Seals do you
    Neither do you get new Seals when you do not train recruits.