We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Cliving: Attempted Murder of the Reeve Quest Chain

Not sure if this has already been discussed on here, but felt it needed to be addressed.

One thing about this quest chain that has bugged me for so long is: Why is there no option to blame Malbéort for the attempted murder of Reeve Athelward? Each of the quests point toward a living suspect for the attempted murder of the Reeve and for the murder of the apothecary Malbéort.

The guard Walnoth makes the assumption that one of the three living suspects (Eldora, Swithorne or Wigfugol) attempted to poison the Reeve and then cover up their involvement by killing Malbéort who would have had knowledge of who had seen him last before the incident. The problem is, all three have either solid alibis or a reason not to kill the Reeve, or both. Because of that, we, as the player, are forced to just "pick one" of the suspects at random to answer for the crime regardless of whether or not they are guilty... but he never gives us the option for Malbéort to be the one.

- He had access to the kitchen because Eldora had gone to see him many times for medicine for the wounded guard in her care. Makes sense he could have gone to see Eldora in the kitchen and slipped the poison then. He was also trusted by the Reeve.

- He had access to Swithorne's dagger because Swithorne had gone to see him.

- And let's face it... Wigfugol just makes an easy option by going to see him at the wrong time for his problems and along with his possible past grudges with the Reeve.

They should add the fourth option to the list of final quests in that chain: None of the three. It takes more imagination to think that one of the three people attempted to kill the Reeve and killed Malbéort than it does to imagine that Malbéort attempted to assassinate the Reeve by poison in his food and committed suicide by use of Swithorne's dagger when he found that his poison had been discovered.

/rant over ^_^ - Back to questing!
    "The greatest defeat is the day your enemies no longer fear you," said Rumar.
    "I do not think that will be a problem," replied Zume.

Zume Frostpaw - R7 Ranger - Landroval Server

I'm assuming this is your first time through the content. So, I don't want to spoiler anything to you...

But, you'll find out who the killer is when you completely rebuild Hytbold, and you'll know whether or not the person you accused was the guilty party.

Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    I'm assuming this is your first time through the content. So, I don't want to spoiler anything to you...

But, you'll find out who the killer is when you completely rebuild Hytbold, and you'll know whether or not the person you accused was the guilty party.
    Ah, okay. I've actually been through this quest chain a few times, but never had the opportunity to completely finish Hytbold. Guess I had better work on that

Thank ya much! ^_^
    "The greatest defeat is the day your enemies no longer fear you," said Rumar.
    "I do not think that will be a problem," replied Zume.

Zume Frostpaw - R7 Ranger - Landroval Server