We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unhappy Please make it possible to buy Quest Packs and Skirmishes as VIP!

Recently I became VIP since I'd get the 500 points I'd need to buy something from the store (AH slot) which then became unavailable as a result in the store.

What irony.

As I couldn't benefit from the offer as a VIP, I know am being punished for having become a VIP once more: 50% off a quest pack which I can't buy, since I'm not premium or F2P.

Why is it that I'm being punished the most though I am a so-called VIP?

Please make those things available for Premium and F2P customers in the store as well!

Re: Please make it possible to buy Quest Packs and Skirmishes as VIP!

I fully concur!

I too feel somehow punished by not being able to buy the quest paks I may need if and when I take a break and am not VIP anymore.

I would much like to be able to buy quest-packs while being VIP, as I upgraded my account to VIP to get Turbine Points. I can't afford to pay a monthly or 3 month fee for long periods of time, so my being able to play is basically based on gathering points and buying what I need with them.

I do understand, from a moneytalking point of view, that Turbine might want to hold on to quest-packs while us being VIP; we did already pay for them with subscriptions. And if everyone had every quest-pack, everyone would in the end play the game for free, which in turn obviously generates less income for further development. Also, this gives Turbine the chance to sell other items besides quest-packs - people WILL spend points on something else.

When that is said, I hope Turbine won't add (more) necessary items like the Skirmish Mark Refund Scroll exclusively to the store. That is not how it should be. Such items should be available in-game as well.

As for the quest-packs, I haven't really made up my mind yet.
    Last edited by Ornaith; Aug 12 2011 at 09:46 PM.
    Brethwyn Bearsbane of House Breddinga [100-Guardian]
    Hygweard of Rohan, High Protector of Bree-Land and Lord of Emyn Uial
    Children of the Sun - Gilrain

Unhappy Re: Please make it possible to buy Quest Packs and Skirmishes as VIP!

I upgraded to VIP, for a short period only, the day before the announcement of a half-price quest pack this weekend. Now I REALLY wish I hadn't!!

It is extremely unfair, if not downright illegal, to stop us buying whatever we want with OUR TP's (money!!). I can only afford to upgrade to VIP (to open crafting levels) for a short time and so will need quest packs when I return to Premium.

Why should VIP's miss out on all the offers? This makes temporary VIP status a punishment rather than a bonus.

Even though this thread topic pop ups every couple of weeks...

YES! Do it! I will never sub as long as doing so means I am prohibited from complete Store access. It bit me in the butt once before.

Yep, unless I can buy this MM quest pack before the promotion ends, I'm going to let my subscription go. I have too much TP saved to be constantly denied these deals, especially if I'm already supporting Turbine monthly. Sometimes I can't afford a month's payment, so it's nice to bolster my account when I can in case I inevitably go F2P.
    Kalysm- Rank 7 Weaver
    Amote- 65 Hobbit Burglar, Lost Legion of Dunharrow

I read a post a while back where they said they had no plans to allow this.

Here's what I think is the reason why. If you go VIP and they put something on sale and you miss out, you'll either have to stay subbed or pay full price later. Therefore they make more money from you.

I highly doubt they will ever allow VIP to purchase content while VIP. As VIP, you are already 'renting' the content... so why would you need to purchase it?

Just saying, this is a BUSINESS. They intend to make as much money as they can. Don't expect them to fix it so they make less just because you want something on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Berwyn View Post

Why should VIP's miss out on all the offers? This makes temporary VIP status a punishment rather than a bonus.
    That's EXACTLY why they do it. They want to to KEEP SUBBING.

Add my name to the list of folk who aren't happy with not being able to buy quest packs, etc while VIP. I got a free month of VIP with the copy of Mines of Moria that I bought in store. It's nice being VIP, but I can't see myself staying that all the time. Lame I have to miss out on sales BECAUSE I'm paying you.

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorpoetex75 View Post

Here's what I think is the reason why. If you go VIP and they put something on sale and you miss out, you'll either have to stay subbed or pay full price later. Therefore they make more money from you.

Just saying, this is a BUSINESS. They intend to make as much money as they can. Don't expect them to fix it so they make less just because you want something on sale.
    This is the greatest casualty of F2P in my opinion. When everyone was on a subscription basis, Turbine's only concern was putting out content to make us happy so they didn't lose subscribers. Now it's a game where they constantly manipulate their own system and subscribers' statuses in order to milk as much money out of them as possible before they leave. Power has been shifted from the player to the company.

At the same time, the company claims that it offers such diverse options that the subscriber can play the game how he wants it. Evidently, this system assumes that once a player goes VIP, either A.) they enter a state of bliss and never want to leave, or B.) they don't have the foresight to plan ahead so that they can still enjoy the game once money gets tight or content becomes sparse for the $10-15 price tag. I'm neither of these people, so Turbine is effectively limiting my options even though I'm a continuing subscriber AND I want to put TP into their system during my subscription and after the fact.

I've been playing LOTRO since release, but the inability to prepare for going Premium, having to pay for the new instances in areas for which I've already bought quest packs, and promises left unfulfilled (PVP anyone?) have caused me to spend less time ingame as the months have gone by, EVEN THOUGH I'M VIP (on the 3-month plan, so couldn't cancel sooner). The whole atmosphere of restrictions and excuses to empty our wallets lessens my enjoyment of the game I initially fell in love with, and I believe the blame may be largely placed on the TP system and the shifting paradigm for Turbine itself to be focused on taking loyal subscribers for all they're worth rather than putting that energy into making the game as immersive and charming as it used to be. In the long run, I'd rather we just switched back to a purely subscription-based system so that the team can focus on what's really important: having enough options and entertainment available to make player WANT to stay in the Middle-earth that Turbine's created.
    Last edited by Dyslex; Aug 13 2011 at 07:34 PM.
    Kalysm- Rank 7 Weaver
    Amote- 65 Hobbit Burglar, Lost Legion of Dunharrow

/signed I am vip and lets face it, eventually I will become premium and I want to be able to buy all non premium content for that day... and I would probably even spend rl $$$ to buy tp to do so when there are sales and such... so stop punishing the vip's here... let us buy whatever we want...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002497fe/signature.png]Kariella[/charsig]

I agree with this

I have a vip for only one month and now i missed out on the misty mountains 50% off.
    that kind of sux :S

Quote Originally Posted by Huskypaw View Post
    Why is it that I'm being punished the most though I am a so-called VIP?
    Welcome to the world of business. Welcome to different options depending on which customer group you are in. You will find the most businesses that sell stuff have tiered customers with unique catalogs - different prices and items.

These tiers for customers and their options are all designed to maximize the incoming dollars. Asking Turbine change is fine. Getting Turbine or any other company to change - very difficult.

What is rare is what you have here. The ability to see what the various customers tiers are, benefits and pricing. Most companies hide the higher tiers. They only publish to the public (if they provide anything) the lowest tier.

Turbine wants it to be painful to convert from VIP to Premium. You got to be really strong willed to pull it out. Go Cold Turkey. Odds are you will have to pay an immediate dollar infusion into Turbine to have access to usable content. This chunk of dollars to keep chugging away may not be viable due to your economic situation. Turbine is depending on you being addicted. Unable to pull the subscription plug.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Aug 17 2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    Welcome to the world of business. Welcome to different options depending on which customer group you are in. You will find the most businesses that sell stuff have tiered customers with unique catalogs - different prices and items.

These tiers for customers and their options are all designed to maximize the incoming dollars. Asking Turbine change is fine. Getting Turbine or any other company to change - very difficult.

What is rare is what you have here. The ability to see what the various customers tiers are, benefits and pricing. Most companies hide the higher tiers. They only publish to the public (if they provide anything) the lowest tier.

Turbine wants it to be painful to convert from VIP to Premium. You got to be really strong willed to pull it out. Go Cold Turkey. Odds are you will have to pay an immediate dollar infusion into Turbine to have access to usable content. This chunk of dollars to keep chugging away may not be viable due to your economic situation. Turbine is depending on you being addicted. Unable to pull the subscription plug.
    not sure I can agree with that... while without seeing the books... I think turbine in its infinite stupidity when it comes to money is just tossing it away as usual...

right now you have people that want to spend money to buy things and you are telling them NO!... Now lets think what might cause someone to drop from VIP to Premium... oh I got one... loss of income to support paying for Vip or lack of interest in the current state of the game...

hmmm somehow those conditions do not seem condusive to someone pushing a large influx of cash turbines way cuz they hadda drop down a level... plus many people may spend their tp and never drop down from VIP... so that is literally FREE money for turbine...

Now while I am sure you can provide scenarios of your example... let me end with this final point of turbines stupidity in regards to money... Since I have been playing, turbine has lost 3 weeks of revenue from me and I have lost nothing...

1. my credit card expired and I forgot to update the exp... did turbine email me and say hey!... nope... well I was on a business trip at the time so 2 weeks passed till i figured it out... fixed the exp date got back to vip and still got my tp on schedule
    2. I won the preorder on twitter so I set that up and somehow after 30 days (and I have not figured this one out yet)... I became premium for a week... I guess it took me that long to do sumtin not covered by vip... so once again I re-enter cc info and back on track with no loss of tp., but turb loses another week of revenue
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002497fe/signature.png]Kariella[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Dyslex View Post
    (on the 3-month plan, so couldn't cancel sooner).
    You can. You can call them up and cancel. Do this if you want VIP unlocks but a deal comes up, or if you want to be premium for whatever reason.

I don't think they should ever add this as a feature, as there would be no incentive for players to stay subbed in the long run. You either sub and have access to all the items, stay unsubbed and be patient, or get impatient and hop around and purchase stuff asap. They're banking on the last group, and, to be honest, if you don't have the patience to wait for stuff to go on sale, then you should be happy with what you have - access to the entire game, lots of sources of TP via deeds (honestly the ability to earn TP, and at a decent rate, already is a big kindness compared to other MMOs that have gone f2p) unlocked, and permanent unlocks for quite a few things that would save you money if you ever drop (swift, traits, bags, etc). The loss of group #3 entirely would be a pretty big hit, imo, and frankly I agree - it doesn't make good business sense.
    Last edited by rhegan; Aug 21 2011 at 05:35 AM.

Thumbs down Re: Please make it possible to buy Quest Packs and Skirmishes as VIP!

/signed

I am currently a VIP for a month to unlock swift travel and bags for some new characters. I was just thinking what the hell I may as well carry on subscribing while I am playing regularly again.

The fact that I can not buy quest packs and skirmishes in the current sale (as a VIP) has convinced me NEVER to subscribe again until it is possible to buy them as a VIP.

Of course it is up to Turbine but I do want to make them aware in this instance it has cost them revenue.

I was wondering why they would not let VIPs buy QPs and it does make financial sense.

I've been VIP for two months and it just ran out. I'm waiting for a certain level 48-53 quest pack to go on sale for at least 20%. Until then, I'll be doing other stuff outside of the game.

I love to be vip for life as I love this game however I prem now as I on disability also also fell screwed by being vip.
    as I would of have areas unlocked now that are locked due to not being able to buy them on sale due to locked in vip