We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Game shuts down my computer without warning after a few minutes

I got LotRO shortly after it went free to play (not sure how long ago that was) to try it out; I played it for a few hours on maximum quality, and it was fine - no lag or disconnections or anything. Now it has been several months since I played it, and after patching up I went into the character creation screen.

Without fail, at the character creation screen, after anywhere from 5-15 minutes, my computer suddenly shuts off without warning. Before the crash I get no indication that the game is having any problems: no audio skipping, no lag, no frozen screen. Often the laptop is unresponsive for a minute or two after the crash when I attempt to turn it back on. I thought it might be a case of overheating but my computer gives no warning of it and the fans and bottom don't really feel abnormally hot at all.

I'm running an Asus G73jh, if anyone needs specific specs I can provide them.

Re: Game shuts down my computer without warning after a few minutes

There are issues with DX 10 and DX11 at character creation screen switch to DX 9 and that will hopefully fix your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
    There are issues with DX 10 and DX11 at character creation screen switch to DX 9 and that will hopefully fix your problem.
    I actually did switch it to DX 9, as well as set it to minimum quality. It's still doing it.

Take it to a shop and have it cleaned out. Just because you can't feel heat doesn't mean that it is not overheating.

I had the same problem a month or two back. I bought a can of compressed air, and had fun de-dusting it. The power supply had a layer of dust inside that caused overheating, and just needed cleaning.

Maybe it's different with laptops, but when was the last time you cleaned yours?
    [CENTER][SIZE=1][B][I][COLOR=YellowGreen][U][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000028da/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][/SIZE]
    [I][COLOR=YellowGreen]Elendilmir[/COLOR] - Palanwyn ~ Figgy ~ Eochael ~ Lamath ~ Bobble ~ Poppet ~ Rachie
    [COLOR=YellowGreen]Eldar[/COLOR] - Figgi ~ Figglez
    [COLOR=YellowGreen]Co-creator of [URL="http://forums.lotro.com/www.thefatlute.com"]The Fat Lute[/URL][/COLOR][/I]
    [/CENTER]