We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Re: Dumb things you've done when first playing LOTRO?

Got hooked on PVMP (Creepside)

Quote Originally Posted by Alcor View Post
    Not really a dumb thing I did, but more not understanding MMO "slang." When I was very early in the game I saw in the LFF channel things like, "GB 4/6 PST." It took me the longest time before I realized PST meant "please send tell" and not "Pacific Standard Time." I wondered why only west-coasters were looking for fellowships.

Lol, I always thought PST meant "pssssssst!", like a whisper.

Took me 2-3 weeks before I found out that "Bind on Equip" didn't bind to you forever. Used my starting-armoour til lvl 10-15 or so.

Cool Re: Dumb things you've done when first playing LOTRO?

Quote Originally Posted by paperslug View Post
    Lol, I always thought PST meant "pssssssst!", like a whisper.
    That's what I think sometimes when I see it in chat too.
    I already knew it really meant "please send tell" but to me, if I think about it, both things are actually somewhat similar to each other.

PST - "Pssst," you're sending a message to only person and it's only that 1 person who will see your message.
    So in a way, I see "pssst" and "please send tell" as being both similar to each other.

Question Re: Dumb things you've done when first playing LOTRO?

Here's another mmo/internet slang type I'm unsure of. (again, not really a dumb I've done, just something I don't understand)
    Every once in a while I see "zomg" being used.
    It might be used on game forums and in mmo games.

"Omg" has always been shortened to mean "oh my god," "oh my goodness" e.t.c
    But since when was the letter "z" brought into it? I never understood that.
    What does the "z" mean in this case?
    Last edited by pppppppp; Feb 06 2012 at 06:55 PM.

The other day I got killed by a hidden lynx when I was about 50 meters away from Rivendell, I was playing a level 11 dwarf minstrel riding a Bree starter pony all the way from South Bree. After reviving I ended up at Thorin's Hall of course.

Quote Originally Posted by pppppppp View Post
    Here's another mmo/internet slang type I'm unsure of. (again, not really a dumb I've done, just something I don't understand)
    Every once in a while I see "zomg" being used.
    It might be used on game forums and in mmo games.

"Omg" has always been shortened to mean "oh my god," "oh my goodness" e.t.c
    But since when was the letter "z" brought into it? I never understood that.
    What does the "z" mean in this case?

From Urban Dict:

zomg / ZOMG

1. zOMG is a varient of the all-too-popular acronym "OMG", meaning "Oh My God".

The "z" was originally a mistake while attempting to hit the shift key with the left hand, and type "OMG"

Also used in all-caps, 'ZOMG' is generally used in a sarcastic manner, more often than not a humiliating fasion. It is also used as a device for stating the obvious.

2. ZOMG was the ruler of the planet XYRZON until 2451 AD, when he was overthrown by KFOP after the battle of SHMUR. the battle marked the violent end to ZOMG'S noble reign as ultra-lord. KFOP soon proved to be an incapable ruler of XYRZON, and the planet collapsed into chaos in 2453. since that day, the residents of XYRZON have used ZOMG as a declaration, nay, an exclaimation of hope. hope that one day peace shall return to XYRZON, on the shoulders of a truly worthy king.
    [center]You become a [color=red][b]champion[/b][/color] by fighting one more round.
    When things are tough, you fight one more round.
    [i]James J. Corbett[/i][/center]

Scholar materials are not just useless scraps of paper!

Here's another one:

Hiding around the corner near the Prancing Pony in Bree and trying out all the emotes not realizing that I was spamming them on the chats.

"Laurewaie sits"
    "Laurewaie giggles"
    "Laurewaie cries"

etc etc etc
    Last edited by YellowBird; Feb 07 2012 at 11:45 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000028560f/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Running LOTRO on a 27" iMac 3.5 GHZ intel Core i7 (with Nividia GeForce GTX 780M and 32 GB RAM) using Mavericks OSX 10.9.4

Picked the cheapest Armour (light armour) and weapons the intro quests offered for my champ because i thought I had to pay for it with the coin the quests gave... Fortunately the kinship leader that recruited me at level 7 was an Armouror and was nice enough to make me a set of medium crit-crafted Armour he also connected me with a kinmember for weapons to and answered a lot of questions

Also picked explorer because sounded cool and well am a bit of one to. even easily lost title fits didn't know meant medium light armour only or that would be wearing heavy armour level 20 but worked out I traded resources for equipment and was pretty well set up till level 56-58 Then had to learn how to fellowship and grind for Armour lol
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d2160000000905ac/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Dwarf Hunter: Ruanan, Dwarrowdelf

I remember joining a fellowship to have a go at that uruk boss in the north downs (nan wathren?). As i remember we were too few and feeble to get all the way up so in the middle of a fight half way there we simply had to run for it. I was the slowest and died on the spot.

I then asked a friend who i'd been fellowing with to come and rez me since i was in the middle of a cluster of elite mobs. A LM came riding up, got off his horse and started smoking a pipe. My first reaction was *The nerve of that guy! Just standing here over my corpse smoking his pipe amusingly* and i delivered a rant to my friend about it. Then suddenly i was revived lol.

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance"

I remember as my first champion i ended up in Candaiths Encampment in the Lone Lands at LVL 17... Playing level 24 orcs hahaha #thegoodolddays
    Lord of the Rings Scholar

Cool Re: Dumb things you've done when first playing LOTRO?

Quote Originally Posted by Wernwulf View Post
    From Urban Dict:

zomg / ZOMG

1. zOMG is a varient of the all-too-popular acronym "OMG", meaning "Oh My God".

The "z" was originally a mistake while attempting to hit the shift key with the left hand, and type "OMG"

Also used in all-caps, 'ZOMG' is generally used in a sarcastic manner, more often than not a humiliating fasion. It is also used as a device for stating the obvious.

2. ZOMG was the ruler of the planet XYRZON until 2451 AD, when he was overthrown by KFOP after the battle of SHMUR. the battle marked the violent end to ZOMG'S noble reign as ultra-lord. KFOP soon proved to be an incapable ruler of XYRZON, and the planet collapsed into chaos in 2453. since that day, the residents of XYRZON have used ZOMG as a declaration, nay, an exclaimation of hope. hope that one day peace shall return to XYRZON, on the shoulders of a truly worthy king.
    Point 2 is quite interesting. Never heard of that before. Sounds like an ancient myth from somewhere.
    Bring back Lord/King Zomg! Sounds very fitting indeed!
    Last edited by pppppppp; Feb 07 2012 at 11:29 PM.

this is my favorite thread EVER. im laughing so hard. im glad there are other folks that admit they are real humans...

i try to put my gear together so it works for me. i mean...it's working, i guess. the other day i got asked to spar...i was in ardour stance, well, because i solo a lot and it helps me live longer when i get ransacked by 10 goblins at once. i mean, it's working in my head anyway. so the other player totally obliterated me and asked..."why are you in ardour and kitted for something something (can't remember what he typed)." i just stood there...we just looked at each other for what felt like a minute...he typed "?".... i didn't know what to do and I panicked and I LOGGED OFF! LMAO i didn't know what to type.."i'm experimenting? "i like the icon?" "i was hoping it would help me dodge you?" i mean i still don't know if i have an answer...i dunno...i mean....i dunno! i was so embarrassed.

regardless if i do my statistical math equations right or get lost in the lingo (damn there's way too much lingo in mmo's) i'm still having a blast. but my dwarf just might run and hide if you try to ask him why he's dancing naked in the middle of the boars head fountain. he's a bit shy and not very bright.
    Last edited by robtherta; Apr 05 2012 at 08:29 PM.

1. When I started my first character (a burglar), I tried to make it to Bree at level 8 because I was done with the Shire. I followed the books, and went through the Old Forest and Barrow-Downs. Needless to say, it was complete hell, and I'm still wondering what the level 20's were thinking when they saw a short hobbit running through the barrow downs screaming, as 100 mobs chased after him.
    2. Tried to save Lalia. Not once, but nine times.
    3. Tried to tank (yes, with a burglar.)
    4. Made a mini and tried melee fighting
    5. Run across all of Andrath, just to see how many brigands I can get to follow me.
    6. Jumping off of Trestlebridge, because it would be "fun"

And about 1,000 other things, none of which I can remember.
    Last edited by Halni; Apr 05 2012 at 08:48 PM.

I did something very dumb the other day, and I've been playing since 2008.

I was extremely tired -- had trouble sleeping the previous night, and was right at the end of my LOTRO session for the day -- and decided, in my infinite wisdom, to lead a quick Limlight Gorge daily run before logging out. Things were going along just fine, but I noticed that my power seemed to be running out rather more quickly than usual... In my exhausted state, I didn't think too much about it. Afterwards, once the quests were complete and the group had disbanded, I accidentally brought up my character panel...and noticed that not one, not two, but THREE pieces of jewellery (all with ICPR on them) were completely broken, and that I was playing in my socks! I realized then that I'd completely forgotten to repair my equipment after I died in the Brown Lands, afking in what I thought was a safe spot.

Moral of the story: when you're too tired to notice that some of your items are red on your damaged armour icon, chances are you should just hang up your digital sword and go to bed.
    "The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began"

R9 Weaver | R6 Stalker | R6 Defiler | 105 CPT | 105 LM | Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Halni View Post
    1. When I started my first character (a burglar), I tried to make it to Bree at level 8 because I was done with the Shire. I followed the books, and went through the Old Forest and Barrow-Downs. Needless to say, it was complete hell, and I'm still wondering what the level 20's were thinking when they saw a short hobbit running through the barrow downs screaming, as 100 mobs chased after him.

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Recently i made a crafted relic on my main (been playing game since release).. when i was done crafting it, i went to a relic master only to see that it didnt show up!.. I got really angry and thought it might was a bug and tried to contact a GM.. no answer for about 20min.. so i asked in global..

Quite few people replied that u need to barter it at the guild guy ... Only thing going true my mind was: Dude.. why didnt i think of that ? : /

---------------------------

When i first started playing i played a guardian.. Leveld it to 50 and thought i was an epic dpser.. i soon growed tierd and started a minstrel which is still my main..

A time after moria came out i wanted to level my guardian up again.. and went to class trainer only to find out that all the passive skills was still avaliable for buying.. I then had runned around trying to tank stuff, raided rift etc with 0 passive traits.. Also all my virtues was bad for a tank class..

Hopefully i have learned alot since that time : )
    Commander Emaldiom [EN] Eldar - Challenger of Saruman

I still find myself halfway to where the old npc's were to turn in different reputation items before my brain remembers that you can just click on them now

*On my hunter I couldn't figure out why skirmishes were so popular until about level 50 when someone asked me what my favorite skirmish soldier was and which skills I had upgraded on it. I was like, "skirmish soldier? skills? upgrades?" Nice thing was I had several thousand marks because I never understood what they were for and went from having a total base level warrior to a highly upgraded herbalist and suddenly started enjoying skirmishes a lot more!

*Also, I was out of my kin for 3 days once because I meant to leave a fellowship I was in and quit my Kin by mistake. Took 3 days to find an officer online at the same time as me, those were a lonely 3 days. (kind of humiliating as an officer...)

*I had no idea that Oatbarton, Evindem, Forochel, or Angmar existed until around level 50. I tend to get tunnel vision when working on quests and don't explore enough.

*Recently I had made Kin with Riders of Stanguard through quests and tasks before I had gotten very far in my rep with the Limelight Gorge. After making Kin, I just assumed without bothering to check, that I didn't need to run any more tasks for rep and I think I had vendered about 20 thick branches and maybe 10 heartwood before I found out I could turn those in for rep or sell them in AH for a lot of money. So, even after 6 months I can be a noob.

The Order of The Silver Flame - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!

As for me, when i got Fervour as a Champ on my first character it went liked this: I first looked at the in-combat power regen, and said to myself, 'I never run out of power, so that is useless'. Then I see that you can't Parry or Evade. So I think 'Well I am never using THAT, trade survivability for power regen? Never.' Some time later I was doing the Epic line quest to gather lilies for Tom Bombadil. Old man willow drains power, so I think 'Ha Old Man Willow, take this!' *Turns on Fervour* When I realized that Fervour is the default stance for Champions, I was rather embarrassed.

I remember going out of Thorin's Hall down into the Vale of Thrain to try and see if you could, you know go somewhere interesting and high level. After going a ways and seeing nothing I assumed it must be very far away and for people that have horses or something. Like you know the ridiculous level of 20. (I was a paltry 6 or 7)

I thought Broken Armour Broke, you know can't be fixed, for years. Needless to say I repaired often.

I also was one of the people who tried to pull a bear of the LM it was chasing, but couldn't.

I didn't know that you didn't blind invite, and so had awkward moments sometimes when I would invite someone in my area off the social panel to find that we had nothing in common, so I told him that I guess we would part ways.

I have done my fair share of dumb things, so I always go out of my to help other learn to play better.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#00ff00]R6[/COLOR]-MIN Roscaron - [COLOR=#ffd700]Aragorn's Allies[/COLOR] - Officer
    [COLOR=#ff0000]R6[/COLOR]-DEF [COLOR=#ff0000]R6[/COLOR]-WRG [COLOR=#ff0000]R5[/COLOR]-BA [COLOR=#ff0000]R6[/COLOR]-WL [COLOR=#ff0000]R5[/COLOR]-RVR [COLOR=#ff0000]R5[/COLOR]-WVR - {Dead,Red,Bow,Boss,Blade,Web} meat
    [/CENTER]

Even at level 75 I manage to do dumb things...

Before the U6 update, with the guaranteed Worn Symbol in the Epic story, I took part in a trivia lottery with that as a price.
    I thought it was going well, since I answered all questions correctly and my fellow participants slowly dwindled away.
    The lottery was over, the winners were announced and to my suprise I wasn't among them.

I asked the lottery master about it, and after some back and forth talk it turned out that I was in the fellowship chat channel instead of the raid channel. I never realized I could change the channel by clicking on it!
    Withywindle: Inchillont L85 HN / Daeregold L85 CH / Gamner L85 RK / Silksword L85 GD / Silketh L85 LM / Cluthro L73 BG / Stodwolf L47 CP / Silkwing L23 WD / Silka L22 MN

I was so proud when I had earned more than 2 gold on my lvl 20-ish guard. Then I went to the AH to browse for some wood and accidentally clicked buyout on a stack of yew which someone posted for the ridiculous price of, you guessed it, 2 gold... There I stood, with a measly 40 silver left...

Luckily I won a lottery the same day and sold some mark-accelerators for a nice profit
    [b] -- Nanum Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus -- [/b]

Quote Originally Posted by YellowBird View Post
    Scholar materials are not just useless scraps of paper!

Here's another one:

Hiding around the corner near the Prancing Pony in Bree and trying out all the emotes not realizing that I was spamming them on the chats.

"Laurewaie sits"
    "Laurewaie giggles"
    "Laurewaie cries"

etc etc etc
    Whenever I see the "trying out emotes" spam like this, I immediately know it's a newbie. But I don't get annoyed, though, and certainly don't fault the newb because I'm reminded of that initial feeling of wonder you get when entering a new world like this. All these shiny things! The textures are nice! This is my avatar--lookit, lemme turn around in circles! Ooh, look at all these emotes--WHOA SO MANY--I wonder what they do? Coooooool~~

Though fortunately, the first time I went through the entire list of emotes, I was still in the starter solo instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilwych View Post
    Whenever I see the "trying out emotes" spam like this, I immediately know it's a newbie.
    Don't be so sure, been playing for well over a year and have got 3 chars at 75,
    I do not consider myself an Uber-Raider, but not a NOOB either. I can tell you
    though, I've never taken the time to explore all the possibilities of emotes.
    So it might be just me, trying a few more each day.

Most noob-feeling I got was when me and a kinnie went hunting in CD, just us two.
    He has killed Helchgam at least 4 times, before I remembered to turn off
    movement assist BEFORE the battle...

Best NOOB memory, not LotRo, but Diablo 1:
    "WOW, this is going great, haven't killed anything, but already at lvl 6..."
    then I died....

The very first thing I did, probably within minutes of starting the game, was to go over to a tall waterfall....and jump off. I still find it hard to resist jumping off tall areas.

And the other day I was in the shire and saw this character just walking around. For some reason I thought he was another player. Then he killed me. Whoops!
    Iaralor | Riddorra | Cirnordar | Thransi | Fanion | Tarro | Otleif | Mallelleth

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast