We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Kinship-to-Player ratio

I don't know why the more I log in I see in the Bree chat more and more kinships created. There are just too many kinships around. Just too many.

Can anyone explain me the frenzy of creating kinships that won't have more than 20 people?

EDIT: I mean about the horrible kin spam in Bree.
    Last edited by Nibenwen; Aug 05 2011 at 10:56 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000002f2f5/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: Kinship-to-Player ratio

Because once established kins are levelled to a certain point they stop actively recruiting in the starter zones because recruiting and training and gearing and sifting through a bunch of new players that you recruit from /regional is more hastle than its worth. The attrition rate for people you recruit randomly in chat is simply enormous, it's not worth the effort for the established kins to find new recruits and treat them properly when most of them are just going to leave the kin/game once they have to start paying anyway.

So new kins are created step in to fill the gap. If the players stick around, once those kinships start hitting end game, they'll either merge with each other or look to merge with the established end game kins.
    Lore-mastery - A weekly column discsussing end game lore-master play.

Or because people discovered they can create their own kinship, load a bunch of separate accounts and alts into it to swell its numbers, wait until it hits rank seven, and voila. They now have a kinship house as their own personal home.

To clarify this is NOT something I'd like to either condone or condemn. I do not subscribe to this practice as I feel the idea of the kinship houses existence is to foster community and teamwork, not to be a personal vault. I find it to be a kind of intrinsically rewarding feeling to walk into my Kinship's house and discover a new trophy placed to show off someone's accomplishment, and a sense of pride seeing my kinnies progress through the game's challenges.

We're not a huge Kinship however. Only eight players (all family and friends in the 'real') and our alts so far. So perhaps this isn't a common experience amongst the larger kinships out there, or even for the smaller ones and is unique to us.

Anyways, that's another reason perhaps for the plethora of kinships. I will say in defense of Imladris however that there are quite a few that are very well established and recognizable including some newer ones I've seen come into existence since I've been playing. I think there are a lot of Kins, but I don't think it's detracting from the play experience much... yet.

I would however like to hear from some of the largest kinships on the point of their not recruiting much anymore however. You're right in saying that you don't see them posting recruiting messages very often if indeed at all. Perhaps the original responder is correct and it's just not worth the hassle of having them potentially leave the game after a month, or maybe it's simply that they have a decided upon capacity that they have arrived at? I don't know, but I'd like to hear it!

My 2c.
    Last edited by Jaecyn; Aug 03 2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Painful grammar and spelling error.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000014712/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

To the original poster: I think maybe folks might want to try leading a kin of their own/cannot find a kin that suits them on the server (I have spoken to people who have felt this way)/want a kin to grow with as they level up (also spoken to people who prefer this)

To Jaecyn: The Night Watch never really developed the habit of advertising in the starter areas. xD

Edit: Just spent a while in Bree O.o I see what you mean
    Last edited by AmicitiaNight; Aug 04 2011 at 10:04 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000000a17f/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Some of the kins that are newly created range from what seems to be honest-to-goodness kins all the way to the ridiculous ones with crazy names. Also: some people just do not have any sense when it comes to posting their recruiting messages - they'll sit there in Bree and spam it over and over and over again. I know full well what you mean.
    [LEFT][URL="http://siegebreakers.guildlaunch.com"][B]Siege Breakers Kinsite[/B][/URL][/LEFT]
    [RIGHT][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?377885-What-happens-if...-answers-about-the-account-types&p=5416401#post5416401"][B]Account Types Explained![/B][/URL][/RIGHT]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000006b6f1/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[URL="http://my.lotro.com/referral/Kragald"]Referred by Kragald![/URL]

In my mind this is a non issue because I hate furniture in Lotro... period.

So, a kin ship house "all of my own" would be a liability, there would exist a need to "furnish it" and let me just say: I have zero desire to do that.

I have zero love for completing deeds that bequeath "The Head of Turbines Latest Lore Love Child".

A good friend at Vala (well known and liked girl on the server) sometimes sends me lovely flower arrangements (they are her seconds that she no longer has space for) and bless her heart I see this as an opportunity to pass these onto other friends who then have the odious task of deciding whether to "keep or throw" that ####.

Once she also sent me the head of a Tiger on a wooden slab. It actually looked pretty fiersome (which is appropriate because she often kills me when we spar) but for the love-of-god taxidermy is one thing in Lotro that will always be something that makes me want to put my doodle in a cheese grinder!!

Ah just jokes! But yeah, getting a kin house for storage seems like hard work.
    Last edited by scaramunja; Aug 07 2011 at 07:58 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e2150000000232ca/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Lightbulb Re: Kinship-to-Player ratio

I think noobies just like to make new kins I guess..... like to make their own rules and be a leader.
    In addition, I don't think people should use kin house as storage, might run out of kin houses on Imladris, they are not unlimited. Only like 3 or 4 per neighborhood, about 20-30 neighborhoods per region, and only 4 regions with housing. :/, which means only about like 500 kin houses on the server, and 10k+ players. :l
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000002ae40/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Wassup. 75 champ always open for raids (I have them all except a few skirmishes) if online and not busy with important matters.

Indeed.

I'm always amazed when I run across bree-land and spot level 15 Leaders...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaecyn View Post
    Or because people discovered they can create their own kinship, load a bunch of separate accounts and alts into it to swell its numbers, wait until it hits rank seven, and voila. They now have a kinship house as their own personal home.

To clarify this is NOT something I'd like to either condone or condemn. I do not subscribe to this practice as I feel the idea of the kinship houses existence is to foster community and teamwork, not to be a personal vault. ....

True!

...but what about those people who OWN an entire neighbourhood, eh ;D

There are also some people who prefer small kins where everyone knows each other and can level up together. It can be totally impersonal being a memeber of a kin with 100+ members most of whom you have never met. Having a small kin of 10 to 15 members can be more player friendly. Plus if you are having a problem with a quest at level 20ish and ask for help, there is nothing more soul destroying in seeing the messages on the kin channel, "Anyone got a low level char they can help a noob out with? .......How low is low? ........ Well my lowest char is level 35 so I could nuke that quest for you....." etc.

Even with friendly kins it can be a pain, I joined a kin at lvl 10 and people started posting me armour, weapons, potions, food, jewelry, all sorts. By the time they had finished I didn't need to make or buy anything for the next 20 levels and suddenly half of the enjoyment of stuggling to get things was gone. It was like being given a "Game Trainer" or "Cheat Option". OK, so I didn't have to use them, but they sat in my storage taking up space and since they were gifts, I felt awful about the thought of selling them so I could do it myself.

I also know people who create a kinship at lower levels, because they don't want to join a Kin at that moment and want to develop themself first, just to avoid all the random Kinship invites (I did that with a newly made alt :P)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000007101d/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Oh my, I remember the kin invites when I was a little itty bitty hunter. It was atrocious. Forbidden Few was especially bad way back then (I even accidentally joined for about 10 seconds when someone drove-by invited me at exactly the time I went to hit enter on a chat. Kin invite should not steal focus and auto accept on the Enter key. blargh).

But that is now ancient history. I enjoy having a small, slowly growing kin (Rank 9 now, woo). Hard to find the right people to keep "Pink Fluffy Unicorns" at the high standard we are held to by the people that know of us. Our three basic rules for being a P.F.U. means we HAVE to grow slow as fitting them are rare...

1) Be willing to help where possible (Help ANYONE, not just kin or friends - new players, giving advice, etc)
    2) Be able to LISTEN and follow commands (AKA, PUG well my friends...)
    3) Know your class and how to play it

Sarah "Sparkles" Spark - AKA Caraneth (And Minestrone, and Finlaf, and other alts...)

*squees and snuggles the fluffiness
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000000a17f/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Caraneth View Post
    Oh my, I remember the kin invites when I was a little itty bitty hunter. It was atrocious. Forbidden Few was especially bad way back then (I even accidentally joined for about 10 seconds when someone drove-by invited me at exactly the time I went to hit enter on a chat. Kin invite should not steal focus and auto accept on the Enter key. blargh).
    Yup, we used to do that. Glad we stopped though, we went in and out of people like crazy.

to OP: I think people prefer a more personable experience, rather than trying to get help as a low level, but only get flooded in kin chat to level up and help in end-game.

My beef lies with those recruiters who don't bother to say a word to me other than sending me an invite. Not even a simple hello, how you doing or any simple polite conversation starting statements. They don't ask what Im looking for in a kinship, apparently they don't care.

I would like to one day to start a small kinship of about 10 folks (+ alts). I want a kinship where everyone knows all the members and recognizes that a rising tide floats all boats. To that end, I call myself and my alts, the 'Crimson Kin', it is not an official kinship as I have yet to find like minded individuals, so I just have all my chars help others when they can, hold giveaways of crafted armor and weapons and generally act as I would have others act towards me. You know, like we learned in Kindergarten.