We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Post What happened to the peace and quiet?

I have noticed that for about the last month lots of new players started playing on Vilya. Suddenly starter areas are overflown and Bree is a dynamic layer more often than not. The advice and regional channels are also full of mindless chatter. Just take all those things to the OOC. Don't get me wrong, I always give advice to people when they need it and I can help, but it seems like so many people aren't willing to find things out on their own, and ask about every little thing.

I chose this server back in the day because it was kinda quiet. Which I liked a lot! Now, I'm starting to really dislike being in the starter areas with my low lvl characters. The other day I was in the midgewatermarshes to kill some neekerbreekers with my lvl 15 toon. After circling around, I had killed only one, but ran into so many other people, apparently trying to do the same thing as me. There seems to be almost a queue to try to get your quests done especially concerning killing a certain boss.

Suddenly Mirkwood seems like such a nice place to hang out in. LOL

Long story short. Where did all those people come from?

P.S. I don't want to offend anyone. I just wanted to voice what me and my friends have been kinda irritated about now for some weeks.

Re: What happened to the peace and quiet?

I can feel your pain but if so many people are around doing the same quest, why not fellow up? then every kill they do progresses your quest status and you all can get thru the area that much quicker

Every once in a while Turbine selects a "Recommended World" for new players. I recall what happened on Windfola when it was the recommended world (and Windfola had it really bad because it coincided with the lag monster). I don't see the "Recommended World" flag on Vilya now but it is on the top of my list of worlds not recently played.

You can see a chart here. It's unofficial but it seems to track the "why is our server so busy lately?" threads pretty well. Based on the usual trends, the activity on Vilya should start to settle down over the next month until another server picks up the "Recommended World" flag.
    [I]Pineleaf Needles[/I],

Skirmisher Director for [URL="http://lotroplayers.mymiddleearth.com/"]LOTRO Players[/URL].

Remember to skirmish responsibly.

I chose it because it was one of the quieter servers too.

I'll be very glad when they move it from the top of the list and it starts to quiet down a bit. I don't mind new players, but I feel like we've been getting swamped with them lately to a point where I've actually thought about switching servers. For now I just play on my higher-level characters when it bothers me too much on my lower level alts. Bree...I try not to even go to Bree anymore, except rarely, and I usually have to turn names off when I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by RaleyD View Post
    You can see a chart here. It's unofficial but it seems to track the "why is our server so busy lately?" threads pretty well. Based on the usual trends, the activity on Vilya should start to settle down over the next month until another server picks up the "Recommended World" flag.
    Very interesting link there Pineleaf, and thanks for sharing. At first I, among others, thought that the 'Server Full' login attempt might have been a fluke, but looking at that scale it shows what appears to be Vilya totally spiking within the past few weeks. Who'd have thought little Vilya would ever deal with that, hehe.

And yes to the others who have seen low level areas booming, I've seen it as well on a recently started character (re-rolled my hunter alt as another race). Reminds me of when Lotro was new, seeing so much activity. It certainly has it's pros and cons, but at least the layering helps with lag.

On that note however, as I earlier feared while first seeing layering on Bullroarer, social get-togethers are no longer practical in the classic setting of downtown Bree. What a shame. That's been both very practical and lore-appropriate for social gatherings. I truly feel for those at Landroval who use that tavern on a regular basis for RP social events.

For the second time we're considering a new location for the VA meetings here on Vilya; this time to escape the layering (first was in '07 to escape the /say channel NPC chatter of the Prancing Pony tavern, which since isn't actually in that channel anymore). The most recent meeting of this coalition of kinships in Town Hall was certainly a bit of a pain pulling everyone to the correct layer. We're looking at Michel Delving (among others), as we want it quickly and publicly accessible, but it's not yet decided.
    [B]Magnarr [/B] - Lvl 85 Champion
    Leader, United Races (Vilya server)
    Cofounder and Leader, Vilya Alliance coalition of kinships
    [url]www.UnitedRaces.net[/url] [url]www.VilyaAlliance.com[/url]

Thanks for the chart RaleyD. It is a bit disturbing to see that loggins went from about 5,000 to over 30,000, but also encouraging to see that these peaks also occur on other servers and after a couple of weeks it quiets down again.

I also have no problem with new players, just the sheer amounts that we have now, with everyone stuck in the starter areas. Just like Paintpixie I have switched again to playing my high lvl alts, until things will quiet down a bit :-).

Sorry...I'm guilty of adding to the traffic...I'm an alt-a-holic and realized I didn't have one here so I created one for the free 10TP. If it makes a difference, I'll rarely visit but I'll make sure to clean up after myself when I do....that and leave some beer and brats.

As supposed representative of aforementioned F2P masses I advise OP to be effin´ happy about the influx of new blood.
    Judging from the server graphs this is somewhat temporal anyway.

Hope that many of those retain their interest in this game and start spending money to support all these servers.

Holy moly Vilya blew up didn't it.
    Last edited by Nardian; Aug 07 2011 at 03:48 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000012e209/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [I]"He knows not to what end he rides; yet if he knew, he would still go on."[/I]

Population isn't so much the problem, short of crafting resources. I think it's the play style and attitude that many new players are bringing from other games. It makes sense to group up for content instead of waiting in lines for respawns. Even so it seems a rarity that anyone will accept invites, even after a proper explanation of the situation.

I suppose that will change naturally as players get into higher level content and become more accustomed to the game and it's community. It's pretty tough to "re-educate" MMO-ers new to lotro, leaving the low level zones rather up for grabs.

Having recently rolled a toon on this server, and so dealing with those newbies who tend to be a little rambunctious, I gotta say, have a little patience, people. Grouping with them as the newbies as they learn is quite an adventure. Sometimes frustrating, and sometimes amusing. One had a tendency to play hide and seek on me till I pointed out that if I couldn't see him I couldn't heal him. Also, that running off and leaving your healer after you've pulled 10 mobs on her makes her cranky. After it makes her dead.

Almost bailed on him at that point, but remembered folks who were very patient with me when I made stupid newbie mistakes. I don't think I got anyone killed, but hey, that "Undying" title is overrated anyway.

You were new once too, and people will either learn the ways LOTRO is different from more experienced players, or head for environments that suit them better.

Well...I like being one of the people to help out with the questions.

That being said, the "Where do I get a horse?" in various stages of butchered English did wear very thin, as did the educating people as to why I don't want a random group for a lvl 26 GB on a lvl 19 cappy with no actual tank. x.x
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000001aabb0/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[i]In pursuit of knowledge, for knowledge is power....[/i]

Thumbs up Re: What happened to the peace and quiet?

I would like Vilya to stay as lagg free as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Geirdridmar View Post
    I would like Vilya to stay as lagg free as possible

oh its the guy that joined my kin, flooded kin chat with inane chatter, quit the kin on the same day and then asked to rejoin later on. You are still one of these noobs.

oh, and you are possibly the worst tank i have ever seen.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0100002e1bb7/signature.png]Cokaine[/charsig]

Now the next step is to take this increased traffic and direct it towards the Ettenmoors. Don't worry, I won't be hiding behind that tree...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c010000146159/signature.png]Rigs[/charsig]
    "One hand holds iron, the other wields steel. If the right one don't get you then the left one will."

Quote Originally Posted by the_matrix View Post
    Now the next step is to take this increased traffic and direct it towards the Ettenmoors. Don't worry, I won't be hiding behind that tree...
    He's ready to pounce for that kb steal!!!! lol I want a tree :[
    DIBS ON TR REZ TREE
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0100001a18bf/signature.png]Macintosh[/charsig]

<