Hi, I'm a new LOTRO free player on Windows 7 (32 bit.) I'm not new to MMORPG's or these kinds of issues however. No one else on this forum seems to be getting the same error message as I am:
I've been struggling with the LOTRO launcher since I first installed the game. I downloaded the installer, downloaded the game for a few hours, installed for an hour, and patched over night. I woke up and began playing. The game ran very well on my computer. However that previous night I had had some trouble getting the launcher to show up at all:
(This is a bit difficult to explain, please bear with me.) I click on the LOTRO icon on my desktop (this problem applies to the icons in the Games folder and in my Start Menu as well.) The loading screen shows up, makes progress, and then hangs at 'Opening Main Form.' I found this odd, because when I hovered my mouse over the icon on the taskbar at the bottom, Windows 7, as you all know, shows what is occurring in that program in a small window above the icon. On my desktop it was showing only the loading screen, but when I hovered over the icon in the taskbar, it showed the launcher already started and functioning. From then on there are two ways this can go: (1.) I've found I can get the launcher to show up on my desktop by right-clicking the smaller icon near the clock, volume settings, etc., and selecting 'Options...' The right-click menu disappears but nothing happens. I right click again on the same smaller icon towards the right, and as soon as I hover my mouse over the right-click menu, the launcher pops up with a smaller options menu. This is what I most commonly do. Even after the launcher shows up and I exit the smaller Options menu, the launcher itself is frozen and inactive until I get an error message about 5 minutes later. The other way the launcher shows would be: (2.) Not doing anything. After 5-10 minutes, the launcher pops up on its own with an error message. The delay, combined with the frozen loading screen confuses me.
The error message that always shows itself eventually is this:
System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed-out.
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetR esponse()
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadF ile(String address, String fileName)
at com.turbine.launcher.UserContr ols.PrereqInstallControl.GetRe qSoftwareFileList()
This did not occur the first time I opened the game. Everything went very smoothly, but even the first time I did have trouble getting the launcher to show up as I described before. However, since then, this time-out message has been appearing. From then on, the launcher hangs at 'Installing Pre-requisite Software.' Beneath it says 'Installing EN Loading Screen' or any other variety of loading screens. Sometimes its Loading Screen 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. Once it was 6. I recently made it all the way up to 7 after leaving my computer plugged in and left the launcher up while I was at work. All day long, I tell you. Then I restarted the launcher, and it went back to loading Loading Screen 4, and as I am typing this it is currently at Loading Screen 3. Wouldn't these have already been installed at some point amidst the several GB of information I downloaded during the Installation process? Why is it constantly reloading the same things?
The only breakthrough I had was when I re-installed as was recommended on the Technical Support page. Once again, the launcher had trouble starting, but once it did it patched completely and I was ready to play. I selected a world, got in to the Character Select screen, and exited. I loaded the launcher again to see if this time it would be reliable, but once again it was stuck at installing 'Pre-Requisite Software' after I had already logged in and played the game. (I have played the game beyond the Character Screen as well.)
As of right now it seems the only time I can play the game is directly after installation. One time I allowed every possible Turbine/LOTRO program through my Firewall with both public and private permission settings, and the launcher actually loaded without freezing or any delays! One time! But then it was stuck at the Loading Screen installations again. So I reloaded it and the problem began to occur once again. I've turned my Firewall off entirely at this point and I'm getting no such luck.
Help. Please. =).