We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Moving my Compass, Horse Vitals, etc.

Can someone PLEASE tell me, is there any way to move objects around on my screen such as my compass, my horse vitals, and the attunement scale for a rune keeper?????? to be honest, my compass is fine where it is, but my horse vitals appear behind my quickslot icons, so when i'm riding past an enemy, i cant see how much damage my horse takes, etc. It's REALLY REALLY annoying. And when I play with my Rune Keeper (which I had to pay extra for), the Attunement Scale is RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of my screen. Well, it's a little to the right, but in the middle nonetheless. Its virtually in my way when i'm fighting and I hate playing an RPG and not being able to see what's going on around me, etc. Is there any way at all to move these items around?

Also, just a side question, when I play, I usually play with my husband, who'll be right next to me, and a few friends whom I"m always talking to using Skype, so for what it's worth, I have ABSOLUTELY no use for my chat window. Is there any way to close that window?

I apologize sincerely if these questions have already been addressed in a seperate topic. If that is the case, I'd be really happy if someone could just point me towards it. thanks so much!

-Tanya (ScifiSpirit)

Re: Moving my Compass, Horse Vitals, etc.

Ctrl + \ will allow you to drag most everything around to exactly where you want it.

As for the chat window, you can make it extremely small but I don't think you can turn it off completely.
    Confused about the F2P/Premium/VIP account types? [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?377885-What-happens-if...-answers-about-the-account-types]This post may help.[/URL]

OMG thank you so much! So basically, do i just hit both of those keys at once while using my mouse? I"ll have to mess around with that. I was honsetly convinced, even as i posted the questions, that there was no way to move them. I feel like a noob now. LOL. well, i kinda am for this game anyways. hahha.

Hey, everyone's a noob at some point.

Pressing Ctrl and \ (together) once will basically put a little box around everything and a header that you can click and drag, like any standard windows type application. Once you've dragged everything around to where you want it, pressing Ctrl and \ a second time will turn off the boxes and lock everything into its new home.
    Confused about the F2P/Premium/VIP account types? [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?377885-What-happens-if...-answers-about-the-account-types]This post may help.[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Ozeagle View Post
    Ctrl + \ will allow you to drag most everything around to exactly where you want it.

As for the chat window, you can make it extremely small but I don't think you can turn it off completely.
    YES! it works perfectly!!! I'm a happy player thanks to you! it was one of the few things about this game that bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by scifispirit2424 View Post
    YES! it works perfectly!!! I'm a happy player thanks to you! it was one of the few things about this game that bothered me.
    Glad to help, I also find the game more enjoyable when I can see what it is that I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozeagle View Post
    Hey, everyone's a noob at some point.

Pressing Ctrl and \ (together) once will basically put a little box around everything and a header that you can click and drag, like any standard windows type application. Once you've dragged everything around to where you want it, pressing Ctrl and \ a second time will turn off the boxes and lock everything into its new home.

Well maybe you can help me... I have tried the Ctrl+\ but it never seemed to work. is it possible I have some option tick somehwere that does not allows me to edit my UI?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    [CENTER] [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b225000000039c0f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [COLOR=#ff0000][B]...the untaught fervour champion...[/B][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by VentoPT View Post
    Well maybe you can help me... I have tried the Ctrl+\ but it never seemed to work. is it possible I have some option tick somehwere that does not allows me to edit my UI?.
    There is no option that disables it. Hints:

1) You can only move an element via its handle. There is a round blue handle on each element in the upper left. Grab the Handle move it.

2) If elements are on top of each other. You can not move the one on the bottom. You have to move elements out of the way to get at the handle.

3) The layer each element is in is Turbine fixed. You can not change which element goes on top.

4) Once you get the element in the right place. Lock them via cntrl \. Log out to the character select screen to upload the profile to the server. Failure to log out normally will throw it all away. Alt-F4. Exit to Desktop. Client crash - discards the updates.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Well to start off thanks for the help and suggestions.
    I was on a earlier stage as I couldn't really unlock the UI and see the handlers.
    I did managed to figure it out though I did not expect this type of command to be subject to keymapping.
    As it turned out even thoug in title options it is stated Ctrl+\ on a porttuguese layout keyboard default correct keys to unlock UI are Ctrl+'~'. Found it quite down the key mapping options after some blind attempts on keyboard to find it.

Many thanks again and cheers
    [CENTER] [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b225000000039c0f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [COLOR=#ff0000][B]...the untaught fervour champion...[/B][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

For the OP and anyone else interested, the HUD layout in this game is saved by character. What this means is that each character may have a different layout on the screen. What it also means is that the screen layout has to be modified for each character. There is a way to make this easy.

First, set the screen layout so it is exactly how you want it for all of your characters. Type /ui layout save nameforlayout, then press return. This will save a template of your layout on your computer. For each of your characters you wish to have this layout, login the character to adjust, type /ui layout load nameforlayout, then press return. You may have to enter the command twice for all elements to adjust properly.

You can now have each of your characters with identical UI settings with only the class specific elements differing.