We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Best place to farm t5 (black ash, ancient iron, exceptional hides) at the same time?

I'm a lvl 40-42ish (soon, or can be by skirmishes before I start to farm) Hunter/Explorer.

I've read Forochel would be good...but I've also read there are no wood nodes for a forester.

I've read eastern Angmar is good, but that it's a bit group oriented...and I'm not sure on the level range here either...I'm concerned it might be on the tougher/more inefficient side of farming.

I've read the north and south pass of Misty Mountains...but, supposedly there is a lot of competition out there.

I think I've read about Eregion too, but again, don't know level range.

So do you guys have any personal "sweet spots" for where this multi-gathering plan would work best at this level (40-42)?

Thanks,
    -Jed

Re: Best place to farm t5 (black ash, ancient iron, exceptional hides) at the same ti

My favorite spot for all three is in the High Pass area of the Misty Mountains, near (and in) the old giant ruins that are chockfull of wolves. And you have the additional chance of running into one or two beryl shard droppers.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000002b4/01005/signature.png]Slyfinger[/charsig]
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

Re: Best place to farm t5 (black ash, ancient iron, exceptional hides) at the same ti

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfinger View Post
    My favorite spot for all three is in the High Pass area of the Misty Mountains, near (and in) the old giant ruins that are chockfull of wolves. And you have the additional chance of running into one or two beryl shard droppers.
    Pretty sure thats one of the better places.

South Eastern Angmar. Cave claws and wargs for hides. (L45-ish)

Eastern Misty Mountains, south and east of Goblintown, and south of the Dwarf outpost. Wargs, wolves, deer for hides. (L45-ish)

Eregion, just north of Echad Dunaan. Wargs, wolves for hides. (L47-ish)

Edit update: Missed level requirement in OP. Updated with levels. Grinding at L42 will be dealing with some red mobs.
    Last edited by Viniel; Jul 01 2011 at 07:50 PM.
    Viniel, 105 Minstrel -- (and others)

lvl 40-42 is low lvl though for those area's. be prepared to fight orange and red mobs if ur going after black ash, ancient iron and exceptional hides.
    The lvl 40-42 areas only have dwarf iron, lebethron and pristine hides.

OK, I'm almost lvl 41 without doing any skirmishes yet. I'll for sure be 42 and hopefully, but doubtfully lvl 43 by the time I'm ready to head out there.

To get to the high pass...I'd go north out of Rivendell, then south and around to the south pass on my way to the north pass?...or just go north and around?...and whereabouts is the old giant ruins exactly?

Are the mob levels higher in SE Angmar, or in high pass Misty mtns.?

Thanks for the advice guys!

To get to the High Pass area of the Misty Mountains, ride east when you first enter the zone, past the first pond (with snow beasts and lurkers), then turn north when you see the trail climbing upwards to the east. Riding north you will pass an area chockfull of goblins (with a few wolves and aurochs sprinkled in) and you should then turn back east again (north of another pond full of wolves). You will come to a mountainous area that has sort of a natural trail between the ridges to follow. You will eventually go over a stone bridge and then a small encampment.

Keep going east beyond the encampment (you might want to stop there first and pick up some quests), and when you exit the broad trail leading east of the encampment turn northeast. You will start seeing wood, ore nodes and wolves as you continue northwest. Eventually you will come upon a set of ruins which lead upward and northeast. Those ruins contain all the wolves (and exceptional hides) you could ever hope for.

The mobs in the area are level 44-46. At 42 (and certainly at level 43) you should have no problem taking them on one at a time.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000002b4/01005/signature.png]Slyfinger[/charsig]
    Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

I wish I would have waited to get your directions, lol. It was quite an adventure trying to get over to the passes.

I don't know exactly how I got to where I'm at (I tried cutting almost straight through east, then had to go back and down and around south)...but, I'm at the campfire in the south pass right now. I think it's gonna be a little rough for a bit. I don't hit as much as I'd like to...I might try switching out of strength stance to the stance that helps you hit.

I had to go back to town to up my prospecting lvl, thank goodness there was a campfire in the area.

So, I'll be trying to head north and see how it goes. I may check out Angmar too at some point after I get what I'm after here.

Thanks again for all the help guys!
    -Jed

Eastern Angmar, Eastern Misty Mountains, or Northern Eregion.

Eastern Angmar is off-limits unless you've completed Volume 1, Chapter 6 of the epic quest. But the other two are fully accessible to a carefully-played level 20 character. In my experience, Misty Mountains tend to have more ore, Eregion has more wood. But that could just be some sort of perceptual bias on my part. Both areas definitely have all three materials.

If you don't mind missing out on the wood (and wood is usually the first material I stop gathering at any crafting tier), Forochel has plenty of hides and ore for the taking.
    Dwarf Guardian, Hobbit Hunter 65; Elf Rune-keeper 55; Elf Hunter 49; others 7 to 36.
    Two of each class; 3+ of each of the ones I like; 8 x KSM and counting....
    Asheron's Call'99, Dark Age of Camp-a-lot'01, Everquest II'04, Vanguard'07, (M)Age of Conan'08, Lord of the Rings Online'09, Rift'11.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronin_Stickyfingers View Post
    lvl 40-42 is low lvl though for those area's. be prepared to fight orange and red mobs if ur going after black ash, ancient iron and exceptional hides.
    The lvl 40-42 areas only have dwarf iron, lebethron and pristine hides.
    True. But the OP should be fine using Precision Stance and a little caution. Red enemies in LOTRO are not the same as red enemies in most other such games (i.e., they're not necessarily instant death, unlike Everquest, Age of Conan, etc.).
    Dwarf Guardian, Hobbit Hunter 65; Elf Rune-keeper 55; Elf Hunter 49; others 7 to 36.
    Two of each class; 3+ of each of the ones I like; 8 x KSM and counting....
    Asheron's Call'99, Dark Age of Camp-a-lot'01, Everquest II'04, Vanguard'07, (M)Age of Conan'08, Lord of the Rings Online'09, Rift'11.

So....

I don't have the book quests done...or even really started...so, it looks like Eastern Angmar is off limits then?

I just started in the north pass of Misty Mtns....I think I found the wolf place...in the NE corner? I saw a lot of wargs, but not much of anything else (ore/wood...I don't think I saw any in there actually).

The lvl 47 wargs are a little hard, but OK when prepared for (Precision stance does seem to be helping)...but, I've noticed the wargs have terrible drop rates for hide...deer have been much better, so far...

There's a stable somewhere on the SW side of the north pass. Just outside there is where I've had the most luck so far for everything. It's hard to figure out exactly where I'm at because it's a snowstorm/whiteout in a lot of areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedius View Post
    So....

It's hard to figure out exactly where I'm at because it's a snowstorm/whiteout in a lot of areas.
    The whiteout is caused by the presence of a shard-dropper, it'll be either a Warg or Deer (Antlered King in the case of the Deer - can't remember the Warg's name - use your tracking skill to find it). Once it is dead the whiteout will clear for a while until it respawns.

Returning to the point of the post - this area is definitely the best for the resources you want - travel a roughly circular route down from the initial quest hub at the top of the hill towards the dwarven stronghold (keeping to the right of the slope), left towards Goblin Town (until you hit the Goblin camps), left again, then back up towards the slope, up the slope on the right-hand side - to get the nodes you missed on the way down - to the quest hub - rinse and repeat. I spent many hours there back in SoA days to feed my crafting habit. Do one circuit with Ore as your target, then switch to wood for the second circuit. Avoid Wargs if they are troubling you, just whack the deer for hides.
    Last edited by EU_Orc_Bane; Jul 02 2011 at 09:04 PM.

This seems to be going reasonably well so far. Thank you very much for the help guys. I believe I have gathered enough mats to keep my (just dinged) lvl 43 hunter in appropriate lvl gear for exploring. It should only get easier from here with the added lvl and new gear.

Thanks!
    -Jed

Quote Originally Posted by Jedius View Post
    The lvl 47 wargs are a little hard, but OK when prepared for (Precision stance does seem to be helping)...but, I've noticed the wargs have terrible drop rates for hide...deer have been much better, so far...
    I've deeded these Wargs today and got more than 70 hides from about 100 kills. Not that bad a droprate, I think.

Honestly, if I were you I'd just see to get a couple of levels if you're after the hides. Gathering wood and ore isn't a problem in higher level areas, but fighting hundreds of red mobs is a whole different story. You may be able to survive and get your kills, but it will still be awfully slow.

BTW, when you're just hunting for hides, at least choose mobs which get you a deed at the same time. In MM there's no slayer deed for wolves or deer, but there is one for wargs and bears.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]"HELP!!!!??"[/COLOR] is not an appropriate thread title.
    Only fools use [COLOR="#FF0000"]apostrophes[/COLOR] in a plural. That's when they're called fool's apostrophes.

Cool Wood & Hides

Black Ash Wood - Eregion totaly...
    Hides . Trollshaws and Forochel.
    Minstrel 75 - BUFO
    Burglar 52 - BULCAR
    Guardian 54 - PROTECTOREX

Another factor to take into consideration is that to access Eastern Angmar you'll need to complete Vol 1 Book 6.

For tier 5 ore, wood, and scholar mats, visit the Giants in the Misty Mountains. For tier 4, visit the Giants in the Trollshaws.

I think that these resources were added when the Trollshaws and the Misty Mountains were updated.
    Last edited by redgold9; Jan 02 2015 at 12:41 PM.
    Silverlode refugee