We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Ready to Roleplay: Picking a Race and Looking Approachable

The following post is intended for those interested in finding roleplay within LotRO. Of course, most of you won’t need such a thing. But one day you might meet someone that could use some advice, yet you don’t feel like typing three hundred lines to them. That’s when this thing might start to look handy. *^_^*

About Seeming Approachable

Later, we’ll look at races (and classes briefly). Maybe one will jump out at you based off the effort-level it seems to carry for some people. But before you make your decision, here’s some simple things that you can do to make yourself look not only like someone that wants to be approached for RP, but also like someone that other people will want to approach:

- A cosmetic outfit with some thought put into it. If you’re roleplaying a poor thief in Bree, then maybe wear some rags instead of the Fem armour from Angmar. Play with dyes. If you’re new to the server and want help getting a cosmetic wardrobe, ask in channels. Many, many people are ready to help with this. No one will respond to your request for “a gold to help you get started,” or 500 silver for a horse. But asking for three green dyes or to borrow one of the festival cloaks or a dress to help you get your appearance set will get responses. And it might also lead to longer conversations and new friends!

- A name with some thought put into it. The game teaches you about names during character creation! “Where? I didn’t see anything like that.” Well, it does, and it’s awesome (and I don’t mean the random name generator). Go make a level 1 for fun and watch for it. You really can’t go wrong with what it recommends, and that’ll pay off forever after as you play your character. “Meh. It’s just a name.” Normally I might agree, but this is the server where we try to fit in to the setting; try to add to it. Not all be different and have to explain why everyone should just get over it. No one disrespects someone for picking a great name that fits into the setting, but many will avoid those that don’t bother. That person that just ran by you might have stopped and talked to you if your name was Craddoc Boarfoot instead of Xoosh Anklebiter. Nicknames will often look odd as first-names, but tend to make interesting last-names (many people just let nicknames come about through roleplay). It gets old having to spend months explaining to people why your name is the way it is, just because at the time ‘Bigboots’ seemed an excellent choice.

- A Kinship name with some thought put into it. You and your buddies may have thought “Bearer of a Ring of Power” was an awesome Kin name, but anyone that’s even seen the movies, let alone read the books, will know that can’t be true within the setting. Some people will assume you’re juvenile or thoughtless and just ignore you because of it. Likewise, “I Heart Cookies” might indeed be true, but shame on you for using a noun as a verb! Perhaps “Fellows of Stove and Fire” might present a more weighty name while you roleplay being a master baker with a terrible habit of eating your creations before they make their way to the table. “What about: The Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling?” Sorry, I already called dibs on that one.

- A presence with some thought put into it. “Now you’re just adding extra stuff to seem all important. Does that even mean anything?” It means: your mother wouldn’t let you bring a broadsword to the dinner table, and neither will Elrond. Seriously, take the effort to remove your shield while you’re crafting. Sitting in a tavern would be mighty awkward with your spear and javelin still on your back. Horses often request to not run up and down stairs. Sometimes while in town I recommend that you try taking off your weapons/shields. Occasionally get off your mount and walk or run. Don’t jump all the way through town because your thumb is bored and sitting by the spacebar. Maybe throw out an emote to an NPC, as if they were people too, as you turn in a quest or repair your armour. All of these things, which I’m advocating you try sometime while in town (and not always while out adventuring), add up to signal to other people that you’re making an effort. You’re thoughtful. You’re adding to the setting instead of detracting from it, and you’re someone worth spending their time on.

- Never say ‘ty’ or ‘thx’, even out-of-character. “Okay, now you’re just being elitist and silly.” Well… maybe. But you don’t thank someone for their time or effort by putting in the least amount of effort possible yourself. No matter where you stand on the use of cyber-speak, if you ask for something, put in a full effort when asking and you’ll generally get a better response. If you want someone to know that you appreciated them, spend the two extra seconds to type out the full words ‘thank you’. It looks more personal, and you’re showing them that you think they’re worth the effort. Maybe even type a full phrase or sentence to thank them! Sure, cyber-speak can be a great and creative way of more efficient communication between close parties… but when you’re dealing with strangers, it really all comes down to seeing how much effort the other person thought you were worth. And the girl that typed “ty” doesn’t get as many people looking to talk to her again in the future as the guy that typed “Thank you! I really appreciate it.”

Continued below....

Re: Ready to Roleplay: Picking a Race and Looking Approachable

About Picking a Race and Class to Match Your Style

The four racial areas really are hubs for roleplay! Amazingly much so. But whether you’re in Bree, Thorin’s Hall, Celondim/Rivendell, or pretty much anywhere in the Shire, expect to stand out sorely if you’re of a different race. Race matters on this roleplay server a lot, something you might want to know before making any permanent character choices! Oh, there are tons of people and kinships that are open to playing and roleplaying with anyone, regardless of race. But your race also has a great bearing on which characters will feel comfortable approaching you, often the general tone of the RP, and how much homework you might be expected to do. Yes, homework. The Elves love homework! If you’re thinking of making a character on Laurelin and you haven’t quite decided what, maybe this casual look at the different races might help. Keep in mind that the following entries are only examples to help get you thinking! Please do not take this as my endorsement for how anything should be specifically played. No matter how much lore and reading you draw upon for your character, no matter how simple or convoluted the background is, you can still have a very rich character that experiences some very admirable roleplay. You may be a clerk in a shoppe, but that doesn't mean you aren't deeply interesting and full of hidden talents! Now, let’s start with the more detailed end, and why class is less of a consideration than race:

*** By the way, I’m talking about finding roleplay here. No one is going to bother you about running Breeland quests on your Elf, because “Elves totally wouldn’t do that.” But if you and your friends make Elves that decide to hang out in Hobbiton, always drunk, wearing jester hats and heavy armour while still brandishing your shields… expect to get more grumpy /tells and less new friends. ***

Of the Classes

Don’t worry too much about the class! Race is a far more serious choice when it comes to roleplay. A Dwarf will always look like a Dwarf, and not an Elf or a Warg or a rugby player (he’d be on my team). Jobs, however, are ephemeral. “Like that’s even a word.” We rarely let the class we picked get in the way of our roleplay, and we rarely treat anyone else as if that’s all they are, were, or will be. That Guardian probably isn’t a ‘Guardian’ who’s all about guarding stuff and killing things (often at the same time). He’s probably a stonemason that likes when he can just mindlessly tend his garden. Or he’s a scholarly sort, one who thinks himself very profound, with terrible breath, a heart of gold, and an unbreakable habit of borrowing money but never giving it back. Oh, and he loves to hunt. Adores it, really. “Why didn’t he just make a Hunter?” Not the point. Make the class you wish to play for those reasons, and don’t worry so much about how it will limit your roleplay! A Guardian can also dress up like a Hunter, and can also have a bow slung across his back! A great many Guardians will pull mobs to them with their bow anyway, so go ahead and make a Guardian that’s really the toughest, craziest, least accurate Hunter anyone’s ever met. Just don’t expect me to lend you money again, Stinky.

Of the Elves

“But I just wanna log on and be, like, an Elf!” That’s awesome. You’ll love D&D and other generic settings. Here Elves are all centuries or millennia old, and while you aren’t expected to know everything, you really should know at least a few basic things to not look foolish or alienate people.

“Alienate people? Pfft. Anyone being a snob about just having some fun can bite me.” Well argued. Yet here’s what you’ll run into: you’re a mighty level 9 lady Elf, running quests out of Celondim. You threw on your ‘of Mirkwood’ title, because it looks cool, and you don’t really have much title choice yet. You pause in town to take a bite of your lunch, and two Elves walk (yes, walk) up to you, one of which is level 54 and also wears an ‘of Mirkwood’ title. You think “awesome! I’ma get me some RP on!” Then one of them says to you “Suilad, hiril! What word from Thanduil?” Uh oh. Now you’re all, like… um… yeah. You respond with a quick “Greetings, fellow Elf! I hope this day finds you well! My name is Somethingilwen, what’s yours?” You’re playing in windowed mode, so you decide to do a quick search to see where in Middle-Earth this ‘Thanduil’ place is, and the search comes up with “no results for Thanduil, did you mean Thranduil?” So you follow that to Wikipedia, read it quick, find out Thranduil’s the King of where you come from, Legolas is a prince, wonder why that wasn’t in the movie, and come back to see what the two other players responded with. They’re gone, having left a quick and vague reply about being “needed in Imladris”. So now you look up ‘Imladris’, and wonder why they didn’t just say Rivendell.

From your point of view, you’re all “Jerks! That was rude. I was totally trying and stuff.” From their point of view they offered you something, but you rejected it and did your own thing. “Couldn’t they have met me halfway, maybe helped me in /tells or relaxed a bit or something?” Usually, they will! But these guys in the example were turned off somehow and chose not to. Maybe the next example-guys will be more patient. These ones wanted someone who’s going to appreciate all the effort they’re putting in with regard to the language and setting. This means looking for someone putting in a little bit of the same effort, which amounts to almost ten minutes of vague research. It’s not huge. “But what, now I have to know all the names of all the Elf Kings and stuff?” Well, it would help to at least know that most of them are long dead. And which family of Elves have a history of warring with the other Elves, and why most of the rest of the Elves will never, ever forgive them. Or that the biggest reason why most Elves are generally mistrusting of Men and Dwarves is that because some of the Men and Dwarves fought with the enemy. Only the Elves were all-in against Sauron and Morgoth. “Great, now I have to look up who ‘Morgoth’ is.” Yes, you do.

No one really presses the fact that Elves from the same place have known each other for centuries. But you should be aware of at least the names of the different places, and more importantly the different names for the same places. You should know who the big muckety-mucks are. You should be aware that not only is there an Elvish language you’ll encounter in the game, there are three different ones. Are you expected to know them? Nope. And they aren’t freely interchangeable when you’d use them either. “Can I just stick to English?” Please do! But seriously, it helps to recognize at least a few words, like ‘hello’. And the older you make your character, the more other players will expect your character to ‘know’.

Of the Dwarves

“Don’t tell me Dwarves get as grumpy about their RP as Elves do.” Never be surprised to see a grumpy Dwarf! However, there’s less research involved here. With much shorter life-spans than Elves, Dwarves will be expecting each other to be familiar with fewer things. Also, there’s only the one other language for you to pay attention to and they’ll tend to fit in better with the other races than Elves will. Learning from the movies, you could totally imagine Gimli thoroughly enjoying himself at a Hobbit party, or forging a gruff respect and friendship with Men like Boromir. It’s hard to see Arwen or Haldir regularly doing the same thing. However, if you don’t know who Durin is, you can kiss my bloody axe! “Fine, I’ll google ‘Durin’, you Drama Queen.” I’d definitely think about what your character considers himself to be an ‘expert’ of, whether he brags about it or not. And I highly recommend that in your two minutes of lazy research and forethought, where you look up ‘Thorin Oakenshield’ and the ‘Misty Mountains’ (because that’s where you decided you come from, and now you’re all curious why I listed Thorin’s second name), you figure out who your Dwarf’s father is! Be proud of him, and definitely ready to answer that question if put to you in-game. And don’t be the guy that decides that Gloin is your father, and that you’re Gimli’s brother. Cousin, sure! Brother… that’s a bit much.

Of the Hobbits

“Please don’t tell me I have to do homework to play a Hobbit.” All right, I won’t. You saw the movies; the extended versions rule. You paid attention, and got a vague idea of who these people could be. It’s perfectly understandable for a Hobbit to know nothing about the outside world, its history, the other races, or even what’s on the far side of the Shire... or for a Hobbit to have written detailed books about such things! No one will tell you that The Silmarillion is required reading for playing a Hobbit, but a Hobbit can benefit from research just as much as any Elf or Dwarf can. Either way, you will always fit in as a Hobbit if you show up, open and light-hearted, willing to say “yes, let’s!” to whatever RP happens to be thrown your way. Mostly I’d recommend that at your earliest convenience you visit the area in the Shire that your character is from. But if you’re going to be exploring other lands, fighting and adventuring, then come up with a reason why your Hobbit has become motivated to do such an un-Hobbit-like thing. And have a good, strong personality! Perhaps you’re a considerable grump that doesn’t like anyone, especially anyone different, and especially not that Harfoot that thinks he can just take the girl that you plan to marry for himself! You’ll show him, you’ll show her, you’ll show everyone that he’s not half the Hobbit you are, no matter what stupid and perilous things you have to do just to prove you weren’t just shooting your mouth off in the tavern, and with what “stupid and too-tall group of thoughtless fools” so that you can just come back home, have everything go back to the way it’s supposed to be, and everyone can all just shut up about it and mind their own suppers. Apparently you use the word ‘just’ a lot. That’s character! Now… did I hear someone mention ‘supper’?

Of the Men

Your amount of worldliness and knowing stuff as a Man can equate to an ignorance of the outside world and its histories, or it can be a whole lot more. Not having read the books doesn't have to be a limitation for you with a Man. But like all else, the more you read, the more richness you have to draw upon! It's up to you, really. Maybe google the word ‘Arnor’ and see what that’s all about, since the movies didn’t tell you. Or know why a Man from Dale has probably interacted with a Dwarf, and a Man from Bree probably hasn’t. And that Man from Dale will tend to have one name, while a Man from Bree will tend to have two (and that his last name will generally be plant-related). There’s much more room to be very involved in your character creation as a Man, or to just sort of show up and make it up as you go along.

Continued below....
    Last edited by Pfeifenkraut; Jun 21 2011 at 07:52 AM.

Of The End and The Begining

That’s about it! Hopefully this was as helpful as I like to tell myself it was. Many curious people come here with no background in roleplay and/or Tolkien's literature, but they're curious all the same. This post is for those at the start of their journey. There are a great many other resources offering far more detailed opinions and information for you to grow with as time goes on. Nothing here is the end-all, be-all of how things are. In the game itself you will discover inexperienced and humourous Elves, helpful and philanthropic Dwarves, well-travelled and wise Hobbits, and stubbornly naive Men. They all belong just as much as the stereotypes we begin with, even more so.

Just remember that once you start roleplaying, you’re a performer, and everyone in the vicinity is your audience! And the most valuable philosophy you can carry forward is that you’re playing with people, not at them. Everything they add is as important as everything you do, and the best players are the ones willing to drop whatever they had in mind and instead go with whatever just popped up. When in the moment, say “yes, let’s!” to the experience. Being stubborn and critical is for forums, not roleplay.
    Last edited by Pfeifenkraut; Jun 21 2011 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifenkraut View Post
    And the girl that typed “ty” doesn’t get as many people looking to talk to her again in the future as the guy that typed “Thank you! I really appreciate it.”
    Actually, strange gender-based responses in roleplay are worth mentioning. At a music event the night before Weatherstock, a random Man told my Hobbit-lass (wearing her low-level cloth armor, so he doesn't even have the "bosomy dress" excuse) that she was a "vixen" and he hoped to fight together someday for that reason. She got nervous, merely replied, "For the Shire," and quietly picked up and moved to another spot.

Dear lore-breaker: You know how there are no recorded cases in the lore of Dwarf-Man marriages; none of Hobbit-Man; and, like, three of Elf-Man? What makes you think a Hobbit-lass is going to respond positively to an appearance-based comment from a non-Hobbit she hasn't even been introduced to? I would have continued the conversation if the opening tell had been something you might say to anyone, male or female, even the painfully obvious "Wasn't that song well-played" or "Are you enjoying the music?"

Also, I'm just saying: not all female toons are played by actual women.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000019ef48/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by 2ElfCrew View Post
    At a music event the night before Weatherstock, a random Man told my Hobbit-lass (wearing her low-level cloth armor, so he doesn't even have the "bosomy dress" excuse) that she was a "vixen" and he hoped to fight together someday for that reason. She got nervous, merely replied, "For the Shire," and quietly picked up and moved to another spot.
    I'm sorry that you experienced that!

I was mostly trying to concentrate on the basics for those newer to roleplay in LotRO. I really hope people can figure out how to not be abusive or creepy on their own. There already is a fairly strict policy about sexual advances in the game, whether it's roleplayed or not. Hopefully someone hit your random Man with a stick, and that Weatherstock was otherwise fabulous for you!
    Last edited by Pfeifenkraut; Jun 21 2011 at 03:10 AM.

Of the Hobbits

“Please don’t tell me I have to do homework to play a Hobbit.” All right, I won’t. You saw the movies; the extended versions rule. You paid attention, and got a decent idea of who these people are. It’s perfectly understandable for a Hobbit to know nothing about the outside world, its history, the other races, or even what’s on the far side of the Shire. You will always fit in as a Hobbit if you show up, open and light-hearted, willing to say “yes, let’s!” to whatever RP happens to be thrown your way. Mostly I’d recommend that at your earliest convenience you visit the area in the Shire that your character is from. Run around town a few times to become very familiar with it, so that you can give people directions to a specific shrubbery from memory two months later. Count the number of tables and seats in the local tavern. That’s about it for deeply necessary Hobbit research. But if you’re going to be exploring other lands, fighting and adventuring, then come up with a reason why your Hobbit has become motivated to do such an un-Hobbit-like thing. And have a good, strong personality! Perhaps you’re a considerable grump that doesn’t like anyone, especially anyone different, and especially not that Harfoot that thinks he can just take the girl that you plan to marry for himself! You’ll show him, you’ll show her, you’ll show everyone that he’s not half the Hobbit you are, no matter what stupid and perilous things you have to do just to prove you weren’t just shooting your mouth off in the tavern, and with what “stupid and too-tall group of thoughtless fools” so that you can just come back home, have everything go back to the way it’s supposed to be, and everyone can all just shut up about it and mind their own suppers. Apparently you use the word ‘just’ a lot. That’s character! Now… did I hear someone mention ‘supper’?
    How incredibly simplistic, not to metion insultive to those of us that play Hobbits.

The deepest pools are oft the stillest.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000144989/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Theres heaps of great stuff in the opening posts..off course you will never get complete consensus from everyone on RP, but it looks like a nice starting off point for people to think a bit before rolling a toon. Simplistic? maybe..but by and large...fairly sound advice.
    Personally i dont give a hoot what a kin is named..my characters cant see any words above folks heads when i'm Roleplaying..in fact "Kins" dont even exist as such..only groups of friends (imho) There is no need to cry "this brakes my emmersion!" when dealing with kin names..they simply dont have a place in RP as a rule.
    *just my two Euros*
    Donhelm Graymare
    Officer and Envoy of
    ‡~ Unfinished Tales~‡
    [url]http://www.unfinished-tales.com/[/url]

First of all, thank you for all the work you put into this. I really think this can be useful for new RP'ers. There is one thing I feel is missing, though.
    Choice of backstory, profession, etc.
    Many people seem to start out with a great hero (myself included, I have to admit) while it is often funnier and more rewarding to play something more "normal". It definitely takes less effort to explain, why a local Bree smith is having his evening ale in the Pony, than why the heir to the throne of Rhûn does the same. Less explanations takes us more directly to RP; what many of us are really seeking, I guess.
    Of course, depth of character, motives and back-stories can still be deep and extensive, but for a start, try to avoid creating a character that makes it necessary to recite 5 pages of back-story to explain its presence, unless you are prepared to do so.

Personally, I now have a Barmaid in the Pony (Who came from Rohan, but to get that story, you will have to get to know her); a Bree Town Watcher (Of lesser Rohirric Nobility. You may wonder why he is now in the Bree watch. Well, you could always ask); A Bree-town miller (Yes, just that! Nothing complicated! Well, almost nothing... ); and a Dwarven messenger in the service of King Dain (With an odd tie to the Barmaid), amongst others.

None of these would immediately fall out in the street of Bree (I hope... :P ), but all of them offers me interesting RP-opportunities, and I hope that their back-stories and characters are interesting enough for those who get to know them to stay interested.

Furthermore

Of the Dwarves

“Don’t tell me Dwarves get as grumpy about their RP as Elves do.” Never be surprised to see a grumpy Dwarf! However, there’s less research involved here. With much shorter life-spans than Elves, Dwarves will be expecting each other to be familiar with fewer things. Also, there’s only the one other language for you to pay attention to and they’ll tend to fit in better with the other races than Elves will. Learning from the movies, you could totally imagine Gimli thoroughly enjoying himself at a Hobbit party, or forging a gruff respect and friendship with Men like Boromir. It’s hard to see Arwen or Haldir regularly doing the same thing. However, if you don’t know who Durin is, you can kiss my bloody axe! “Fine, I’ll google ‘Durin’, you Drama Queen.” I’d definitely think about what your character considers himself to be an ‘expert’ of, whether he brags about it or not. And I highly recommend that in your two minutes of lazy research and forethought, where you look up ‘Thorin Oakenshield’ and the ‘Misty Mountains’ (because that’s where you decided you come from, and now you’re all curious why I listed Thorin’s second name), you figure out who your Dwarf’s father is! Be proud of him, and definitely ready to answer that question if put to you in-game. And don’t be the guy that decides that Gloin is your father, and that you’re Gimli’s brother. Cousin, sure! Brother… that’s a bit much.
    This is true, especially so for the dwarves presented in the movie. Personally I found that:

http://lotrofounder.blogspot.com/200...rom-dorfs.html

gave a wonderful ground on which to build my dwarf. It emphasizes how Tolkien's dwarfes differ from more generic dwarfes and is definitely worth a read if you consider playing a dwarf. Whether you choose this approach or base your understanding on Gimli from the movies, you are likely to be accepted by the dwarf community. (We aren't really that grumpy! )

Best Regards
    Bregir etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bregir.Stoutheart View Post
    This is true, especially so for the dwarves presented in the movie. Personally I found that:

http://lotrofounder.blogspot.com/200...rom-dorfs.html

gave a wonderful ground on which to build my dwarf. It emphasizes how Tolkien's dwarfes differ from more generic dwarfes and is definitely worth a read if you consider playing a dwarf. Whether you choose this approach or base your understanding on Gimli from the movies, you are likely to be accepted by the dwarf community. (We aren't really that grumpy! )

Best Regards
    Bregir etc.

What a wonderful addition!
    This is a great link for anyone of any background or experience seeking a thoughtful read about Dwarves.

Of the Hobbits

“Please don’t tell me I have to do homework to play a Hobbit.” All right, I won’t. You saw the movies; the extended versions rule. You paid attention, and got a decent idea of who these people are. It’s perfectly understandable for a Hobbit to know nothing about the outside world, its history, the other races, or even what’s on the far side of the Shire. You will always fit in as a Hobbit if you show up, open and light-hearted, willing to say “yes, let’s!” to whatever RP happens to be thrown your way. Mostly I’d recommend that at your earliest convenience you visit the area in the Shire that your character is from. Run around town a few times to become very familiar with it, so that you can give people directions to a specific shrubbery from memory two months later. Count the number of tables and seats in the local tavern. That’s about it for deeply necessary Hobbit research. But if you’re going to be exploring other lands, fighting and adventuring, then come up with a reason why your Hobbit has become motivated to do such an un-Hobbit-like thing. And have a good, strong personality! Perhaps you’re a considerable grump that doesn’t like anyone, especially anyone different, and especially not that Harfoot that thinks he can just take the girl that you plan to marry for himself! You’ll show him, you’ll show her, you’ll show everyone that he’s not half the Hobbit you are, no matter what stupid and perilous things you have to do just to prove you weren’t just shooting your mouth off in the tavern, and with what “stupid and too-tall group of thoughtless fools” so that you can just come back home, have everything go back to the way it’s supposed to be, and everyone can all just shut up about it and mind their own suppers. Apparently you use the word ‘just’ a lot. That’s character! Now… did I hear someone mention ‘supper’?
    *reads this a few times and feels rather confused and a bit sad about it*

I do not agree with this simplistic view you have on Hobbits . You said you watch the movies ...but have you ever read the books and Professor Tolkien many references to Hobbits ?
    There is much more to Hobbits that the eyes can see...and lots to learn about them and from them.

I am in fact, a hobbit in all but size (J.R.R.Tolkien)
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

There was a lot of good material in the OP's posts to set players on the right path. But I am concerned with the tone; it paints anyone who does not follow the OP's beginners guideines as vandalising morons. It was funny, but I think readers might get the wrong idea, we don’t think you are idiots because you make a couple of mistakes.

But well worth a read by anyone intending to roleplay.

All I am going to say is well done, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Amorey View Post
    *reads this a few times and feels rather confused and a bit sad about it*

I do not agree with this simplistic view you have on Hobbits . You said you watch the movies ...but have you ever read the books and Professor Tolkien many references to Hobbits ?
    There is much more to Hobbits that the eyes can see...and lots to learn about them and from them.

I am in fact, a hobbit in all but size (J.R.R.Tolkien)
    Please, enlighten us, share the love!

Bregir

Snip....Colours hurt my eyes!

Of all the races, I dare say that the Elves are the most advanced - and 'need to know' race. I highly recommend that anybody looking to start an Elf, does some research firstly. It's not as simple as just creating a Man of Bree, and having him as a Farmer.

As above, an Elf can be millennia; or centuries old. But that is not always the case. Some Elves can be young, a prime example being Andarne's Child; Nemben. Nemben is not even twenty yet, and we've enjoyed some fantastic RP sessions with 'him' in the Hall of Fire (albeit, he was purely emoted as there are no children in-game).

Now, not all Elves are so knowledgeable about the War with the Enemy; yet alone Morgoth. Some, especially the younger ones, will have heard the name whispered in evil tones - and the older Elves will still harbour hatred, for they know the acts that he committed. But make no mistake, not all Elves are born and bred warriors. There are some who simply wish the merry life; like the Vinters of Lórien, or the scholars of Imladris. Yes, the may have fought in their long lives; but I dare-say they were not born with the knowledge to do so - it was forced upon them.

As for languages, here's a list:

Quote Originally Posted by Gûr Edhellen - the Elven Guide

Primitive Quendian, also called Quenderin, the proto-language of all the Elves who awoke together in the Far-East of Middle-earth, Cuiviénen, and began "naturally" to make a language.

All the Elvish languages are presumed to be descendants of this common ancestor.

Tolkien invented two subfamilies (subgroups) of the Elvish languages. "The language of the Quendelie (Elves) was thus very early sundered into the branches Eldarin and Avarin".

Avarin is the language of various Elves of the Second and Third Clans, who refused to come to Valinor.
    • Avarin developed into various Avarin languages.

Common Eldarin is the language of the three clans of the Eldar during the Great March to Valinor. It developed into:

Quenya, the language of the Elves in Eldamar beyond the Sea; it divided into:
    • Vanyarin Quenya, colloquial speech of the Vanyar, the Elves of the First Clan;
    • Noldorin Quenya (and later Exilic Quenya), colloquial speech of the Noldor, the Elves of the Second Clan.

Telerin, the language of the Teleri, Elves of the Third Clan, living in Tol Eressëa and Alqualondë.
    • Nandorin, the language of the Nandor, a branch of the Third Clan.
    • Nandorin developed into various Nandorin or Silvan languages.

Sindarin is the language of the Sindar, a branch of the Third Clan, who dwelt in Beleriand. Its dialects include:
    • Doriathrin, in Doriath;
    • Falathrin, in the Falas of Beleriand;
    • North Sindarin, in Dorthonion and Hithlum;
    • Noldorin Sindarin, spoken by the Exiled Noldor.
    Of them all, the only languages in use (In Middle-earth, during the Third Age) were Quenya and Sindarin. The Galadhrim of Lothlórien had their own 'branch' of Sindarin, with more prominent accents, but not a completely different one together.

Of the Elves, and their RP, I cover most in my Guide.

===
    EDIT
    ===

Now, to the 'tone' presented here; I too think it's a tad harsh. Especially when saying that "seeing the movies is enough". It is not, for the Movies do not even scratch the surface of Lord of the Rings. Much was edited, removed and added in.

Please dull it down, save other's don't take it to heart - as we wish they would! It is a fantastic piece of work, but remember how you present it - for the wrong wording can upset a nation, or topple it.
    Last edited by Glingaeron; Jun 21 2011 at 05:59 AM.
    [CENTER][URL="http://laurelinarchives.org/profile/21"]Andarne Glingaeron, "Baingol", o Lothlórien.[/URL]
    ::
    Master of Elven Lore ‡ Roleplayer ‡ Elf of [EN-RP] Laurelin
    [URL="http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Hall_of_fire_wednesday"]Hûd in Eledhrim[/URL] ‡ [URL="http://www.thetaintedlands.co.uk/77"]Gûr Edhellen[/URL] ‡ [URL="http://laurelinarchives.org"]The Laurelin Archives[/URL] ‡ [URL="http://www.thetaintedlands.co.uk/"]The Tainted Lands[/URL] ‡ [URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/TaintCraft?feature=mhee"]TaintCraft[/URL][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Glingaeron View Post
    Now, to the 'tone' presented here; I too think it's a tad harsh. Especially when saying that "seeing the movies is enough". It is not, for the Movies do not even scratch the surface of Lord of the Rings. Much was edited, removed and added in.
    I never said that 'seeing the movies was enough!' I never would. You're misquoting me there.

Thank you very much for adding more information about Elves! I'm certain that a lot of people will appreciate it.

As for alterations to my post: I'm quite willing to entertain advice and opinions. I'm very open to making improvements. However, I'd need more specific comments in that regard. Which line(s) did you find to be "a tad bit harsh", and how would you recommend that I "dull it down"?

Depth of story vs. Depth of character

As for alterations to my post: I'm quite willing to entertain advice and opinions. I'm very open to making improvements. However, I'd need more specific comments in that regard. Which line(s) did you find to be "a tad bit harsh", and how would you recommend that I "dull it down"?
    I do believe that some find that you present playing a man or a hobbit too simplistic. And thus devaluates the work they put into their characters. There is a risk of making one race seem like the "good rp'ers choice", by saying that it takes more research and thought to play certain races.

As I tried to communicate earlier, one has to consider one's choice of story closely. And while it might take more research to create an ancient elven hero, some would claim that it takes more RP-skill to make a local Breelander or a Hobbit Farmer interesting!
    My point being, depth of story isn't the same as depth of character. Both must be taken into consideration. I have seen the simplest people with the deepest and most realistic of characters, and found heroes just short of Aragorn nothing but arrogant idiots with no deeper motives or feelings than a piece of toast.

I am sure we all agree that elven/dwarven/men/hobbit RP'ers are no better than others. We all have our preferences, and the different races demand a different kind of preparation, as does different back-stories.

Best regards
    Bregir

Quote Originally Posted by Bregir.Stoutheart View Post
    Personally, I now have a Barmaid in the Pony (Who came from Rohan, but to get that story, you will have to get to know her)
    Say it aint so!!..omigod omigod omigod Bregir!..please say i didnt..we didnt...Gah..*runs to find the nearest Bathroom*
    Donhelm Graymare
    Officer and Envoy of
    ‡~ Unfinished Tales~‡
    [url]http://www.unfinished-tales.com/[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by DonhelmUK View Post
    Say it aint so!!..omigod omigod omigod Bregir!..please say i didnt..we didnt...Gah..*runs to find the nearest Bathroom*
    Is there any barmaid in the Pony who haven't had her share of Donhelm's charm?
    I promise, I won't tell Cym... But no, don't worry... Or do... :O

It reads to me as a starters guide, with some humour thrown in to make it more interesting. To my mind, that is a good thing.

He is talking basics - a very quick and concise summary - as opposed to a treatise the length and height of the Great Wall of China covering every minute aspect of the different Races from looks to what they are most likely to eat for breakfast and the differing ways in which they might treat a pet rock.

I honestly cannot fathom why people are becoming so offended by it. As a purposely simplistic approach, it works very well. If it is, then, a purposely simplistic approach, then why would the writer suddenly go off on a twelve post rant about how complex life in the Shire can be? That would be said writer telling people precisely how they should convey their character and not said writer merely giving hints and tips on attracting roleplay.

I never said that 'seeing the movies was enough!' I never would. You're misquoting me there.
    “Please don’t tell me I have to do homework to play a Hobbit.” All right, I won’t. You saw the movies; the extended versions rule. You paid attention, and got a decent idea of who these people are.
    Harsh. Very harsh.

Hobbits are NOT pies, pipeweed and parties.

There is Genealogy, each Hobbit is proud of their heritage and can, when pushed (often only a gentle nudge is all that is required) recount their family tree all the way back to the founding of The Shire, if not beyond.

History, connected with Genealogy but aslo including the collection of Mathoms, a visual reminder of certain events.

Literature, The Great Smials has one of the few libraries mentioned in Middle Earth.

Art, Music, poetry, story telling...

Politics, law, honour...

A little more than can be gleaned from the movies, even the extended editions.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000144989/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Great work mate! This is a really helpful thread and i hope all the new players that come to Laurelin get to read this.

Its really sad when you try to rp and someone drops a 'lol' or '###' at say channel.

I've made several changes based on some of the comments, and rereading it myself. I thank all those looking at this in a positive manner, and trying to be helpful (which is all I was hoping to be myself).

I apologize, but in essence; t'was seemingly what you were saying. One can never grasp the entire plot behind something, especially that which is Lord of the Rings, from a mere video representation.

Thank you very much for adding more information about Elves! I'm certain that a lot of people will appreciate it.
    If you see fit, feel free to link directly to Gûr Edhellen. The more links, the more Elf-RP I can help people with!
    [CENTER][URL="http://laurelinarchives.org/profile/21"]Andarne Glingaeron, "Baingol", o Lothlórien.[/URL]
    ::
    Master of Elven Lore ‡ Roleplayer ‡ Elf of [EN-RP] Laurelin
    [URL="http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Hall_of_fire_wednesday"]Hûd in Eledhrim[/URL] ‡ [URL="http://www.thetaintedlands.co.uk/77"]Gûr Edhellen[/URL] ‡ [URL="http://laurelinarchives.org"]The Laurelin Archives[/URL] ‡ [URL="http://www.thetaintedlands.co.uk/"]The Tainted Lands[/URL] ‡ [URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/TaintCraft?feature=mhee"]TaintCraft[/URL][/CENTER]

I've made several changes based on some of the comments, and rereading it myself. I thank all those looking at this in a positive manner, and trying to be helpful (which is all I was hoping to be myself).
    My apologies for being harsh towards your original idea. I do appreciate the effort you have made to further RP and idea that can help with the immersion.

Blame it on not enough coffee...and passion for Hobbits *grin*

Thanks for the good work.

I want to thank the OP for a humorous and concise guide that is entertaining and easy to read. I will be sure to point those who are unfamiliar with the races and what needs to be known about them here first and then embellish it with links to many of the traits and knowledge of each race. Well done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast