We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

.abc files not working

I really wanted to try using the music system so I downloaded a few .abc files from http://www.lotro-abc.com/ and made a folder called "Music" in my lotroclient folder. But when I try playing the files in-game, it says "cannot play [file name] .txt". And when I type /playlist, it says "no abc files found matching *". And I don't know why it says .txt, because I made sure all the files were labeled as .abc. I play on a mac, does the music system only work on pc or something?

You should put it in /Users/<userid>/Library/Application Support/com.turbine.lotroclient/music

And besides, /playlist don’t work with me either. Maybe /playlist * works?

Quote Originally Posted by EranodoreAlphemel View Post
    I really wanted to try using the music system so I downloaded a few .abc files from http://www.lotro-abc.com/ and made a folder called "Music" in my lotroclient folder. But when I try playing the files in-game, it says "cannot play [file name] .txt". And when I type /playlist, it says "no abc files found matching *". And I don't know why it says .txt, because I made sure all the files were labeled as .abc. I play on a mac, does the music system only work on pc or something?
    Hello,

Sounds fine, so, now, just take care your song got the .abc extension (not something like filename. , filename.txt, or even filename.abc.txt).
    If not, rename your file as : filename.abc

.abc file are text files anyway. You can always edit it in notepad and "save as" filename.abc. (instead filename.txt)

./toasts

Zed'

I already made sure all the files were labeled as .abc. Also I just realized that the same message shows up (couldn't open file.txt) even when I type in a song that I didn't even download.

Example: I downloaded Smells like Teen Spirit. The file is called teenspirit.abc. When I type /play teenspirit.abc it says "Couldn't open file C:\Users\me\Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\Music\teenspirit.txt."

I didn't download Lithium. But when I type /play lithium.abc it also says "Couldn't open file C:\Users\me\Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\Music\lithium.txt."

WBS is offline Weatherstock Wayfarer
    Destroyer of Worlds
    You've answered your own question here! Compare these two quotes and spot the issue.

...made a folder called "Music" in my lotroclient folder.
    ..."Couldn't open file C:\Users\me\Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\Music\teenspirit.txt."
    Although you say you play on a Mac, you're obviously using Bootcamp or a virtual system to run Windows and play the game on that due to the path name.

Nope, I copied the path name from another thread (and pasted in another song) because I couldn't remember exactly what it said when I tried playing songs. It's probably not the exact same path name though. I play on a mac via Steam. Bottom line is that when I try playing music files it says something like "couldn't open file".

Hi,

Maybe you will find some useful answers about that in that thread : https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ic-not-working

Especially this :

a) Open Notepad.
    b) Copy/Paste Song onto Notepad
    c) Save As
    d) make the following changes;
    File name: "*.abc"
    Save as type: "All Files"

If you fail to change the "Save as type" from "Text Documents (*.txt)", then it will only save the file as a *.txt.

Zed'

WBS is offline Weatherstock Wayfarer
    Destroyer of Worlds
    Nope, I copied the path name from another thread (and pasted in another song) because I couldn't remember exactly what it said when I tried playing songs. It's probably not the exact same path name though. I play on a mac via Steam. Bottom line is that when I try playing music files it says something like "couldn't open file".
    You're missing the point of my post.

You're putting the files in the wrong place; they don't go in the LotRO application folder, they go where LightGatherer told you in the first reply; "Library/Application Support/com.turbine.lotroclient/music".

To get to the correct "Library" directory, click on "Go" in the top bar then hold down the Options key, the link to the "Library" directory will appear in the menu.

Happy to know ya trying to play music
    2 things . my 2 cents.

Use play and the tune's name. Do not add any extension to it. like abc etc.

To be sure the music folder is in the right file make an in game screen shot
    using print screen I think, then the folder that has that screen shot
    is the correct folder for the music file.

Good luck.

"You're putting the files in the wrong place; they don't go in the LotRO application folder, they go where LightGatherer told you in the first reply; "Library/Application Support/com.turbine.lotroclient/music"."

That's exactly where I'm putting them. They're not in the wrong place.

.abc or .txt

in one picture is says the filename ends with a .abc extension

in the other it says it is trying to open a .txt file

It’s possible that some .abc files don’t work in lotro. You can try the following song, which works for me.

From https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...1-ABC-Songbook :

X:14
    T:Brandywine Bridge
    C:Composer:
    N:Remarks:
    Q:1/4=120
    V:1
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    K:F
    e3 f ed c2 |B2 d2 c3 z |GB c2 BG F2 |D2 EF G2 G2 |z2 cd cd e2 |c2 f2 ed c2 |z2 fe c2 fe |f g3 g4 |]
    %End of file

You need to enter the filename without the ".abc" extension, like Mudpies said.

Each .abc file can have different parts in it for different players, and if you don't want to play the first part in the file, you need to specify that in the "/play" command.

For n00bs and 99% of everyone else, I recommend you just use the Songbook plugin, which does the commands for you.

Songbook: Mac Version
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

[QUOTE=Thurallor;7832505]You need to enter the filename without the ".abc" extension, like Mudpies said.

Each .abc file can have different parts in it for different players, and if you don't want to play the first part in the file, you need to specify that in the "/play" command.

For n00bs and 99% of everyone else, I recommend you just use the Songbook plugin, which does the commands for you.

Songbook: Mac Version[/QUOTE

If you all would listen to Eranodore, you would see that she has checked all her files and that they are in the correct place.

Eranodore, you are absolutely correct. There is a problem with the /play command. It is appending .txt. to the end of the music files.

If you want to play music, go to LOtroInterface site and download Chirans Songbook. It is working okay. As a side note, The Kmabc plugin has the same issue, since the author uses the /play command in his/hers plugin.

Quote Originally Posted by Clandor View Post
    If you all would listen to Eranodore, you would see that she has checked all her files and that they are in the correct place.

Eranodore, you are absolutely correct. There is a problem with the /play command. It is appending .txt. to the end of the music files.

If you want to play music, go to LOtroInterface site and download Chirans Songbook. It is working okay. As a side note, The Kmabc plugin has the same issue, since the author uses the /play command in his/hers plugin.
    I hate to break it to you, but Songbook uses the /play command too. It's the only way to play music in lotro. Hover the mouse over the "play" button, and you'll see the command. I would be interested to know what the difference is between the /play command issued by Songbook, and the /play command Eranodore is using -- if he/she still has this problem, from this 11-month-old thread.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others