We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

12 Month VIP offer.

So I check my e-mail today, and surprise surprise, there's an e-mail from LOTRO, about the 12 month VIP Subscriptions.

Woot 12 month VIP's for $99.99 sounds a good bargin. However I'm in the UK.. and yes there's a link in the e-mail to the UK version.. so I click it.. £79.99.

FOR THE LOVE OF THE VALAR!... $99.99 USD IS NOT £79.99

The correct UK price for this promotion should be MUCH nearer £62, NOT £80. Here's a link to check for yourself Convert $99.99 to UKPounds

Could you please bring your Non-US pricing more into line with your US pricing?

Many thanks.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000038d1f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: 12 Month VIP offer.

Have you noticed that, say, iTunes songs that are .99 cents each are not translated evenly across monetary borders?

The price of the dollar changes daily compared to the pound or the Euro. They set a price based on whatever research they had and figured the community in those financial districts would go with it.

Apple made a huge fuss when 99 cent songs were .99 euros and .99 pounds. Even as a drooling American I can determine the difference--right when the Euro came about the exchange rate was about .97 US dollars compared to 1.00 Euros. Good deal. Then the Euros went to like 1.44 US dollars. Not a good deal.

It's stayed up there in price and I don't import as much stuff as I used to.

Anyway it is unrealistic to expect pricing to remain even and consistent aside in your own locality, I think. You do cite a large difference and I agree with you, but I wouldn't expect it to be evenly matched.
    Last edited by Odinshaw; Jun 15 2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Corrected terrible spelling mistakes

In addition there is the cost of conversion from Pounds to Dollars, as Turbine will always want to end up with Dollars.

But the biggest factor is likely the 20% VAT they need to add when selling a product so obviously aimed at the UK market.
    Confused about the F2P/Premium/VIP account types? [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?377885-What-happens-if...-answers-about-the-account-types]This post may help.[/URL]

product is not imported into our own Eu countries so i don't see why VAT should be applied. we're paying money for a service that is done in the US. but i guess this is a lost battle as Turbine is getting more money this way i dont expect anything to change, at least not until exchange shifts the other way around and they start loosing money
    as stated in the EULA, we do not own any property or anything related to this game not even the account

my 2 cents.

former EU player
    ~~ Magic will eat your soul ~~

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e00000025e457/signature.png]Cipilika[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz0r View Post
    product is not imported into our own Eu countries so i don't see why VAT should be applied.
    In the other thread on this topic Finglonger_UK did some research and it seems that it is required to charge VAT on all electronic services where the end user is in the EU:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...81#post5465881
    Confused about the F2P/Premium/VIP account types? [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?377885-What-happens-if...-answers-about-the-account-types]This post may help.[/URL]

Thanks to everyone for their answers.. however there's STILL a small problem.

$99.99 = £62.08 (today's figure from www.xe.com)
    +20% (£12.41) = £74.49

So why are we STILL being charged £5.50 ($8.85 USD) more than US players?

No there are NOT more taxes to levy/collect, no there shouldn't be any charge to convert UKP > USD as the money is removed from the card in USD's already (for which *I* have to pay my bank to do.)

So why does the same service cost me nearly $10 more, than a US based player pays?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000038d1f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Anon-e-mouse View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their answers.. however there's STILL a small problem.

$99.99 = £62.08 (today's figure from www.xe.com)
    +20% (£12.41) = £74.49

So why are we STILL being charged £5.50 ($8.85 USD) more than US players?

No there are NOT more taxes to levy/collect, no there shouldn't be any charge to convert UKP > USD as the money is removed from the card in USD's already (for which *I* have to pay my bank to do.)

So why does the same service cost me nearly $10 more, than a US based player pays?
    Do you know what the price conversion was on the day they decided to offer this? Having worked with customs at a brokerage, I know we had to daily convert the values of shipments coming into the US. *I* am going to go out on a limb here and say they decided to make the offer and said to someone in the marketing dept, "Find out what the currency is for the other markets and give that to the the guy making the ad." And that was the last time it was discussed. My suggestion, horrible as it might seem, would be to wait til the dollar gets stronger.

Unless you can show Turbine how to change daily, (hourly?) without having 3 or four people doing that its either $10 extra dollars or pay by month. BTW: what is your monthly converted to... today?

edit: how would your bank handle you paying in $? I mean is there a way for you to convert to $ and send that? How much would that cost you?
    Last edited by Xhiu; Jun 16 2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: cuz I'm slow

I work for a company with a small number of clients based overseas. Some of those clients always request quotes in another currency. When we quote them we always add 5% when we do the currency conversion because we know that it's a volatile market and by the time any purchase is made the currency is likely to be different.

Most companies which offer products/services in currencies which are not their own will hedge against an exchange rate shift.