We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Why does lotro install itself to my programs file(x86)folder when I have win7 64 bit?

So I had a virus and it wiped erased some of my files and lotro. I have 2 drives, 1 has vista 32 bit on it and the other that I use has win7 64 bit. I am reinstalling the game now and its installing itself in my (x86) folder. Does this mean the game will run like its in a 32 bit OS? Another question. My account has SoA and Moria, I don't have any cd's because I downloaded the games 2 years ago from this site. How will I get my game up to date to Moria content?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Why does lotro install itself to my programs file(x86)folder when I have win7 64

LOTRO is a 32bit application, therefor installs in the 32bit folder (x86) and runs in 32bit mode. 64bit OSes can run 64bit and 32bit applications simultaneously. This costs you nothing.

The application launcher should update the game from the internet when you start, if need be.

Re: Why does lotro install itself to my programs file(x86)folder when I have win7 64

As Sinnem said, that's where 32-bit applications are supposed to install. LOTRO was developed from 2003-2007, before 64-bit processors were all that common on home PCs. They could potentially add a 64-bit build of the product, and in my experience it's really not that difficult to do on the development side. The biggest problem is with the amount of additional testing that would require.... it would be immense.

The product I work on switched over from 32-bit to 64-bit a few years ago, but we had it easier... we switched over to 100% 64-bit, dropping all support for 32-bit. For us that wasn't such a big deal since the vast majority of servers it ran on were 64-bit anyway. Turbine couldn't do that -- they'd have to develop, support, and test both for quite some time yet.

Khafar

To reiterate - you don't need any game disks to install any of the game. By downloading whatever version they have available somewhere online, you are getting the most up-to-date version available, which means far less patching than would be necessary if you installed via CD/DVD.
    [center]"The rejection of grammatical correction is proof of the level of intelligence hinted at by your writing."

[color=orange]Now please keep this discussion on topic or you may be reported for causing time mismanagement[/color]

[color=gray]Llydia[color=blue] - 65 Rune-keeper |[/color]Dawnn [color=blue] - 65 Champion |[/color] Anthari[color=blue] - 65 Lore-master |[/color] Thisnameisavailable Ornot[color=blue] - 65 Guardian
    [/color] Firstaidkit[color=blue] - 65 Minstrel |[/color] Malaysia [color=blue] - 65 Waden |[/color] Kornur[color=blue] - 52 Hunter |[/color] Caly[color=blue] - 40 Burglar |[/color] Dharkan Rahl[color=blue] - 40 Captain[/color][/color][/center]

New Technology ----> One day all things will be this way ----> New technology ----> One day all things will be this way.

New Technology ----> One day all things will be this way ----> New technology ----> One day all things will be this way.

forever more.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/20224000000178b2b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Have Fun..... Have a LOTR Fun..... Defenders of The United Kingdom - Eldar

Like all properly written setup programs, it'll install where you tell it to...assuming you bother to 'tell it'. If you accept the defaults, it'll install in that directory because that's where MS decided all 32 bit programs should be installed on a 64 bit system.

I install all my games in /users/public/games - just to keep them all in one place. Makes backing up easier, I don't want games backed up with other programs...those huge files takes ages to back up compared with other programs and data so I do them separately...when I have more time.