We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Instrument?

New Instrument?

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post

There may be a new instrument. Upgrades...also possible.
    This was posted today in the Minstrel forum. Dare I hope?

Re: New Instrument?

Id kill a thousand hobbits for one fiddle

nothing personal against hobbits, they just keep asking me to pulls weeds...
    [center]Hi, my name is:
    [color=gray]Liathron[/color]~[color=red]Audrel[/color]~[color=orange]Gress[/color]~[color=yellow]Laureaseas[/color]~[color=green]Anzeleran[/color]~[color=blue]Dosha[/color]~[color=purple]Linasereth[/color]
    [color=gray]Champ[/color]\[color=red]Burg[/color]\[color=orange]Guard[/color]|[color=yellow]RK[/color]|[color=green]Hunt[/color]/[color=blue]Ward[/color]/[color=purple]Mini[/color]
    [color=gray]Elf[/color]\[color=red]Man[/color]\[color=orange]Dwf[/color]|[color=yellow]Elf[/color]|[color=green]Elf[/color]/[color=blue]Man[/color]/[color=purple]Elf[/color]
    [color=gray]75[/color]\[color=red]39[/color]\[color=orange]7[/color]|[color=yellow]18[/color]|[color=green]22[/color]/[color=blue]24[/color]/[color=purple]35[/color]
    ...and I'm an Alt'aholic.[/center]

-----Your Conseince-----
    Valicetra [url]http://valicetra.deviantart.com/[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Valicetra View Post
    Id kill a thousand hobbits for one fiddle

nothing personal against hobbits, they just keep asking me to pulls weeds...
    *scolds*
    didn't you get those sheep in the pens yet? Where's my chickens??

and yes any sustaining stringed instrument would be grand!
    [url]http://joel-end.blogspot.com/[/url]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000001d6c/01005/signature.png]Hoppa[/charsig]

Fiddle is at the top of my list of desired instruments, also. Aside from that, I'd like to see more renaissance era instruments such as the recorder, shawm, dulcian, crumhorn, sackbut, and viola de gamba.
    Faërie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. – J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘On Fairy-Stories’.

I would LOVE an Accordian.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppa_Joel View Post
    *scolds*
    didn't you get those sheep in the pens yet? Where's my chickens??

and yes any sustaining stringed instrument would be grand!
    I was ready for hobbicide with the mudding of the pigs!
    [center]Hi, my name is:
    [color=gray]Liathron[/color]~[color=red]Audrel[/color]~[color=orange]Gress[/color]~[color=yellow]Laureaseas[/color]~[color=green]Anzeleran[/color]~[color=blue]Dosha[/color]~[color=purple]Linasereth[/color]
    [color=gray]Champ[/color]\[color=red]Burg[/color]\[color=orange]Guard[/color]|[color=yellow]RK[/color]|[color=green]Hunt[/color]/[color=blue]Ward[/color]/[color=purple]Mini[/color]
    [color=gray]Elf[/color]\[color=red]Man[/color]\[color=orange]Dwf[/color]|[color=yellow]Elf[/color]|[color=green]Elf[/color]/[color=blue]Man[/color]/[color=purple]Elf[/color]
    [color=gray]75[/color]\[color=red]39[/color]\[color=orange]7[/color]|[color=yellow]18[/color]|[color=green]22[/color]/[color=blue]24[/color]/[color=purple]35[/color]

-----Your Conseince-----

New instruments is very much welcome..
    A little upgrade with Music system, wouldn't hurt. I mainly play the game because of the music
    Running out of ideas with my arrangements atm some small changes/upgrades would be nice
    Achazia Songweaver
    Songwriter in The Shades. Listen to my music at Soundcloud and Radio Rivendell
    Contributor at Lotro Players
    The Shadows

I'd hope they "clean" up the current system a little while they are at it, especially volumes of sounds (like the theorbo, harp, and smoking)...

As for new instruments, I personally would love a harmonica, though its not very middle-earth'y (to new)

I wonder if a mandolin is old enough ???

Maybe a dulcimer ??? (was missing from oldbadgerbrock's list )

A "jew's harp" would be nice too, to go with the cow bell
    Run Away... Run Away...

((Warning - Player has a severe case of Alt-itis))

If nothing else, fixing the Clarinet cough would be a great present.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000224056/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I thought the general thought was that the "cough" and "breath" sounds on the winds was intentional? And I do know folks who've used them to their advantage in arrangements.
    [COLOR=#800000]Various Hobbits, Thwilda the dwarf lass, and Gnersk, Stalker[/COLOR]

I'll hold my breath for the summer if it will help, Turbine! The air can get pretty hot around here anyway. I'd even go for a special drum from Rohan, with more percussion sounds, like something triangle-ish and some different cymbal sounds. Maybe it's easier to find percussionists? Surely there must be Turbine staff who are ready to hit things.

Quote Originally Posted by FreePeoplesUnite View Post
    I'll hold my breath for the summer if it will help, Turbine! The air can get pretty hot around here anyway. I'd even go for a special drum from Rohan, with more percussion sounds, like something triangle-ish and some different cymbal sounds. Maybe it's easier to find percussionists? Surely there must be Turbine staff who are ready to hit things.
    Xylophone thingy with a tubular bells sound would be good too! ( or just rework moors cowbell with a full range of notes )

hehhe,
    but sustaining strings of any kind is tops on my list.

Also, on the lute, a single extra note for the "knuckle bump" sound you do on a guitar for rhythm would be cool. ( since we are on the subject, of the clarinet and its quacks and spits which are on purpose )
    Last edited by Hoppa_Joel; Jun 09 2011 at 09:35 AM.
    [url]http://joel-end.blogspot.com/[/url]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000001d6c/01005/signature.png]Hoppa[/charsig]

COW BELL 2.0! :P

I'd like to see a violin. What about and upright bass? I dunno how well those fit in middle earth, just a thought.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000003ef038/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppa_Joel View Post

but sustaining strings of any kind is tops on my list.
    Same here. I'd kill for a Violin and a Cello. I really don't care if people consider them lore appropriate or not. Tolkien mentions "viols" in the Sil and that's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fionnuala View Post
    Tolkien mentions "viols" in the Sil and that's good enough for me.
    Fiddles and viols are certainly lore appropriate. Consider the dwarves' impromptu music during 'An Unexpected Party' in The Hobbit:

'Now for some music!' said Thorin. 'Bring out the instruments!'

Kili and Fili rushed for their bags and brought back little fiddles; Dori, Nori, and Ori brought out flutes from somewhere inside their coats; Bombur produced a drum from the hall; Bifur and Bofur went out too, and came back with clarinets that they had left among their walking sticks. Dwalin and Balin said: 'Excuse me, I left mine in the porch!' Just bring mine in with you! said Thorin. They came back with viols as big as themselves, and with Thorin's harp, and when Thorin struck it the music began all at once, so sudden and sweet that Bilbo forgot everything else, and was swept away into dark lands under strange moons, far over The Water and very far from his hobbit-home under The Hill.
    Then there's the song that Frodo sang at The Prancing Pony:

The ostler has a tipsy cat
    that plays a five-stringed fiddle;
    And up and down he runs his bow,
    Now squealing high, now purring low,
    now sawing in the middle
    Faërie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. – J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘On Fairy-Stories’.

I'll throw my vote in for fiddle, as well. Just the thought of a group of hobbits with fiddles gives me a grin that doesn't stop. :P
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c00000027b798/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

AW: New Instrument?

Here comes my Instrument-Wishlist:

1. Ocarina
    2. Fiddel
    3. Trombone
    4 Harmonica
    5.Oboe
    6. Cello
    7. Accordion

I hope so that one or more instruments will be implemented in the game

greets
    Zwergenbier

I too would love a fiddle and I also wouldn't mind the ability to do vocals even if it's just la's or do's singing should have a place in middle earth as should fiddles more so then the bag pipe which i love but have never heard mentioned in the books(could be wrong but don't recall them anywhere)
    Mays lvl 53 Grd, Mayssiah Lvl 34 Minstrel, Mayses lvl 47 LM, Mayschief Lvl 35 burg
    " I don't know half of you half as much as I would like and I like less then half of you half as much as you deserve."
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000063d99/01003/signature.png]Amaysn[/charsig]

I just thought of another time fitting instrument I would love to see...
    a Dulcimer
    Ah! I love those!
    [center]Hi, my name is:

-----Your Conseince-----

Would be content seeing a fiddle in the game. I'd personally love to have both a violin, and a cello or Viola da Gamba, but I can work with one.

The music is essentially the only reason I started playing this game, and the only reason I'm still here. I love doing classical music and these are just a couple reasons I've been wanting to get instruments from the violin family into the game:

Vivaldi: "Summer" 3. Presto
    Concert | ABC'd
    Haydn: Quartet no.5 in D Maj, Op. 64 "Lark" 4. Finale Vivace
    Concert | ABC'd

While we're on the topic of improving current instruments, this is what I'd like to see done:

- All coughing/breath effects removed from wind instruments
    - "Clanging" effect on Harp notes in the high octave removed
    - Clean up Horn upper and middle octave notes, removing the current discordant nasal howling in those registers

That's my wishlist. Guess I'll wait for this thing to go live and see what happens.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000003d3355/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by masonix View Post
    While we're on the topic of improving current instruments, this is what I'd like to see done:

- All coughing/breath effects removed from wind instruments
    - "Clanging" effect on Harp notes in the high octave removed
    - Clean up Horn upper and middle octave notes, removing the current discordant nasal howling in those registers
    If we're going to add improvements to current instruments, I'd request they improve the tone quality for the flute. The breathy tone sounds like a 9-year old beginning flautist rather than a skilled musician. I suppose vibrato would be too much to ask? The intonation of clarinets and flutes would be much improved by it.

It would be lovely not to have to continue the current practice of dumping most Flute transcriptions into the bottom of the low octave just to avoid the screaming tin-whistle tone...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000003d3355/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Horn has a similar sound texture issue--the upper range can be nice, mid range is oinky while the far bottom buzzes.
    [COLOR=#800000]Various Hobbits, Thwilda the dwarf lass, and Gnersk, Stalker[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by masonix View Post
    It would be lovely not to have to continue the current practice of dumping most Flute transcriptions into the bottom of the low octave just to avoid the screaming tin-whistle tone...
    I've never had a problem with a "screaming tin-whistle tone" even when using the flute's upper register, though I've heard it often enough in others' abcs. I often wonder what causes it. I personally adore the flute in game.

I'll add my voice to the 'fiddle' wish list!

Any kind of bowed string instrument really, could be something like a 'nyckelharpa' too.
    [LEFT][SIZE=1][color=#BFBFBF][I]Phede's mini minnie army: [/I][color=#FFFFFF]Phedelene[/color], [color=#FFFFFF]Netteellen[/color], [color=#FFFFFF]Ledepeter[/color][I] and [/I][color=#FFFFFF]Amorph[/color].
    [I]Proud member of [/I][url='http://s13.zetaboards.com/Andunie/'][color=#FFFFFF]Andúnië[/color][/url][I] and the [/I][color=#FFFFFF]Greenway Band[/color].
    [I]A small collection of Phedelene's original music (ABC's and MP3's) on [/I][url='http://sdrv.ms/ZMMwsA'][color=#FFFFFF]SkyDrive[/color][/url].[/color][/SIZE]

[color=#FFFFFF][SIZE=2][FONT=Times New Roman]FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS.[/FONT][/SIZE][/color]
    [/LEFT]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast