We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: EU-servers?

Question EU-servers?

Hello peeps !

I have recently returned to LOTRO and created an account through lotro.com. I am currently based in Denmark, so a EU player.

I created a character on the Brandywhine server, but after reading through the server-forum, it came to my attention, that BW is an US server.

So, where can I find the EU-servers? Do I need to create a new account somewhere? Hopefully some of you can help me sort this out!

//Lupilin//

AW: EU-servers?

You can access the european servers using your launcher and your normal account.

Just scroll down, they can be found at the very bottom of the serverlist.

Nimelrian

Re : EU-servers?

Officially there are no EU-servers anymore, all the servers are in the same datacenter now, and they are all accessible to anybody.
    But since finding people that have the same playtimes as you is nice, this is the list of servers that used to be EU

Gilrain
    Laurelin
    Evernight
    Wythwindle
    Snowbourn
    Eldar
    Gwaihir (German speaking)
    Morthond (German speaking)
    Maiar (German speaking)
    Vanyar (German speaking)
    Belegaer (German speaking)
    Sirannon (French speaking)
    Estel (French speaking)
    [i][color=#808000]Thilla Snowberry[/color][/i]: Lvl 85 Hobbit Warden, Training and Tanking since 2009
    Playing on [i][color=red]Laurelin [/color][/i], member of [i][color=#408000]E Voronwë[/color][/i]

Re: EU-servers?

Just one of the reasons why they should be assigned [EU] and [NA] tags. I know they are all in the same datacenter and that players can pick and chose where to play. But surely it's better that players are at least informed when logging on what the majority of the player base is on that server. In an ideal world all servers will be full of players at all times of day, but that is not the case, and I certainly don't see streams of new players coming into the game to make it that way. For new players it just makes it more confusing.
    [CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Galuhad | Narvelan[/B]
    Lore Breakers of Eldar[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/list.php?skinnerid=3762"]Plugins[/URL] | [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?538975-Accounts-for-New-Players"]New Player Guide[/URL] | [URL="http://www.twitch.tv/galuhad"]Twitch[/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Galuhad View Post
    Just one of the reasons why they should be assigned [EU] and [NA] tags. I know they are all in the same datacenter and that players can pick and chose where to play. But surely it's better that players are at least informed when logging on what the majority of the player base is on that server. In an ideal world all servers will be full of players at all times of day, but that is not the case, and I certainly don't see streams of new players coming into the game to make it that way. For new players it just makes it more confusing.
    Agreed with this. I think it's ridiculous that the EU servers are right at the bottom AND unmarked as being made up of mostly EU players, it means that folks like the OP don't know which server they'd be best on without doing some out-of-game research.

+1, really need to be marked

AW: Re : EU-servers?

Quote Originally Posted by Vonz View Post
    Officially there are no EU-servers anymore, all the servers are in the same datacenter now, and they are all accessible to anybody.
    But since finding people that have the same playtimes as you is nice, this is the list of servers that used to be EU

Gilrain
    Laurelin
    Evernight
    Wythwindle
    Snowbourn
    Eldar
    Gwaihir (German speaking)
    Morthond (German speaking)
    Maiar (German speaking)
    Vanyar (German speaking)
    Belegaer (German speaking)
    Sirannon (French speaking)
    Estel (French speaking)
    + Anduin (German speaking)

I guess the latency was horrible from Denmark.

Iirc from Sapience's FAQ thread on the CM forums, they were not going to label any of the servers EU or NA to distinguish because they were hoping for a more even load across them all. No idea how putting all the EU servers at the very bottom of the list will do that, but meh
    Blaize, Ellorien, Melica, Rhedyn, Finriel, Aerynna, Merywen, Faelarth, and Tathriel, wandering the shores of Middle Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaize_EU View Post
    Iirc from Sapience's FAQ thread on the CM forums, they were not going to label any of the servers EU or NA to distinguish because they were hoping for a more even load across them all. No idea how putting all the EU servers at the very bottom of the list will do that, but meh
    I was wondering about that. Filling a server with players from both continents would homogenize its load, as one side spikes it while others sleep. But one server isn't hosted by one computer. Don't they, especially since layering, just add resources as needed?
    So what's true for one server should be true for all of them. Half the day US gets more power, other half EU servers do.
    [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=LightBlue]Snowbourn[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [COLOR=PaleTurquoise]Undo[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=PaleTurquoise], Minstrel
    [B]Unedo[/B], Burglar
    [URL="http://thorinsshield.gamerdna.com/"]Thorin's Shield[/URL][/COLOR]

They should list all servers from top to bottom in terms of player population at that current time of day with at the top the servers with the least population. Failing that list them A-Z.

I know its a issue that EU players joining now can't find a EU server without doing abit of research or asking here. The advantage is that some servers may have balanced populations at all times. Whats the right solution?
    Victuswolf - Rank 7 Warg
    VaeVictis - Rank 7 Weaver

Server Snowbourn - Member of the Blackpact

Thanks for clearing it guys !

Even if I am playing on a US-server, I still manage to get groups once in a while, and the latency is actually not that bad. It might be worth considering to move my char later thou..

//Lupilin//

Quote Originally Posted by Lupilin View Post
    and the latency is actually not that bad.
    //Lupilin//
    Latency should be essentially the same for all servers. While a given server will have different peak times based on the location of its main population, *all* the servers are physically located in Boston.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001dbbf1/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="http://my.lotro.com/user-658244/category/thoms-journal/"][COLOR=#ffcc00]Thom's Journal[/COLOR][/URL] - [I]An in character account of the Epic Questline[/I][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Victiswolf View Post
    They should list all servers from top to bottom in terms of player population at that current time of day with at the top the servers with the least population. Failing that list them A-Z.

I know its a issue that EU players joining now can't find a EU server without doing abit of research or asking here. The advantage is that some servers may have balanced populations at all times. Whats the right solution?
    The big advantage about doing it this way is that if you get a lot of people joining that you will get servers that are almost always active. It will take a lot of time before it comes to that, but I do think that's what Turbine is aiming for.
    [i][color=#808000]Thilla Snowberry[/color][/i]: Lvl 85 Hobbit Warden, Training and Tanking since 2009
    Playing on [i][color=red]Laurelin [/color][/i], member of [i][color=#408000]E Voronwë[/color][/i]

Part of the reason I suspect the EU servers are presently at the bottom of the list, is they haven't been declared stable yet, and the migration process is still very much in progress.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Quote Originally Posted by Blaize_EU View Post
    Seems like a ridiculous idea; it's unfeasible for that to happen in any reasonable length of time (i.e. less than a year) and, besides, what's the point of trying to balance them? That just means less people overall for everyone; at least if you've got a clear distinction between the two realms you can play with more people in/around your timezone.

This whole debacle just adds to my suspicion that this whole global migration thing hasn't been thought through or, really, implemented very thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by Undo. View Post
    I was wondering about that. Filling a server with players from both continents would homogenize its load, as one side spikes it while others sleep. But one server isn't hosted by one computer. Don't they, especially since layering, just add resources as needed?
    So what's true for one server should be true for all of them. Half the day US gets more power, other half EU servers do.
    I don't think the load balancing and assigning resources where needed is implemented as well as it could be on the lotro serverpark, that's why they "needed" to implement dynamic layering for f2p launch in the first place.
    [color=orange][Center][B]Holskabard 75 Minstrel of Eldar[/B][/Center][/color]
    [Center][color=green]Thurindamoth 75 hunter • Aldowen 65 loremaster • Celebramor 65 champion • Keppie 65 captain[/color][/Center]

Quote Originally Posted by Drilski View Post
    Seems like a ridiculous idea; it's unfeasible for that to happen in any reasonable length of time (i.e. less than a year) and, besides, what's the point of trying to balance them? That just means less people overall for everyone; at least if you've got a clear distinction between the two realms you can play with more people in/around your timezone.

This whole debacle just adds to my suspicion that this whole global migration thing hasn't been thought through or, really, implemented very thoroughly.
    Personaly i don't believe it will ever happen... People from europe log on to the game for the first time, choose a server, play that server not realising they're on a US populated server, think low population is the norm and quit. It's a bad idea fullstop, they need to indicate the general population types.

This point was argued at the time, but Turbine were adamant that this was what they wanted...
    Blaize, Ellorien, Melica, Rhedyn, Finriel, Aerynna, Merywen, Faelarth, and Tathriel, wandering the shores of Middle Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shidolai View Post
    I guess the latency was horrible from Denmark.
    Could be better, but so far I haven't felt it has been that bad I have 150ms ping all the time. It tends to go between 140 and 150, but it's mostly at the latter. And that's on a 10mbit copper line of what I remember, so not a 'fast' connection at all.

Anyways, the 'US' servers are more heavily populated at Euro peak times than the 'Euro' ones used to be before the merge.

i am from EU but i just play on landroval

Re: AW: EU-servers?

Quote Originally Posted by Nimelriana View Post
    Just scroll down, they can be found at the very bottom of the serverlist.

Nimelrian
    They might be "at the bottom of the serverlist" but this is because we are holding the rest of you up.