We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Windowed Fullscreen (window /wo borders) - Vollbild Fenster (Fenster ohne Rahmen)

English version:

Hello,

since Turbine has announced it's Global Service, I wanted to make this suggestion.

There is one thing I'm missing in Lotro: A Windowed Fullscreen mode in the display options.

Other games support this display mode, which creates a window without any borders.

Differences between Fullscreen, Window and Windowed Fullscreen:

The Fullscreen mode covers the whole display and delivers a good frame rate, but alt-tabbing is a pain (Blackscreen while switching from game to desktop and vice-versa) and you have to "leave" the game, to check desktop, ICQ, etc.

The Windowed mode doesn't cover the whole screen, as it shows a border around the game screen, which "shrinks" the game's field of view. On the other hand, this mode favours players switching from game to desktop quite often, as the game will run in it's own window in the background. You can also stream your game session, using programs like XSplit, which doesn't support Fullscreen recordings (I know a few people streaming their raid sessions).

Windowed Fullscreen combines both of these modes, creating a window without borders, making the taskbar disappear and allowing fast alt-tabbing and streaming.

You can tweak Lotro, making it run in Windowed Fullscreen by changing the UserPreferences.ini or using third party programs, but it will mess up the UI, as your "virtual" mouse won't be there, where your "real" mouse is.

I don't know, if Turbine will include such a display mode into their next updates, but I would be very happy to see this happen.

TL;DR: Include a windowed fullscreen mode.

Nimelrian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

German version:

Hallo,

seid Turbine den Globalen Service angekündigt hat, wollte ich diesen Vorschlag machen

Es gibt eine wichtige Sache, die ich in Lotro vermisse, einen Vollbild Fenstermodus in den Anzeigeoptionen.

Einige andere Spiele unterstützen diesen Modus, welcher ein Fenster ohne Rahmen anzeigt.

Unterschiede zwischen Vollbild, Fenster, und Vollbild Fenster:

Der Vollbild Modus bedeckt den gesamten Bildschirm and liefert eine gute Framerate, allerdings wird Alt-Tabbing zum Horror (Wartezeiten beim Wechsel Desktop-Spiel) und man muss das Spiel praktisch "verlassen", um seinen Desktop, ICQ, etc. zu checken.

Der Fenstermodus bedeckt nicht den vollen Bildschirm, da an den Seiten Rahmen angezeigt werden, welche das sichtbare Feld im Spiel verkleinern. Andererseits ist dieser Modus vorteilhaft für Spieler, die oft auf den Desktop wechseln, da das Spiel dann weiterhin in seinem Fenster im Hintergrund läuft, sodass man z.B. einfach und schnell chatten kann. Weiterhin kann man sein Spiel streamen, indem man Programme wie XSplit benutzt, welches keinen Vollbild Modus zum Aufnehmen unterstüzt (Ich kenne einige Leute, die z.B. ihre Raids streamen).

Der Vollbild Fenstermodus kombiniert beide der eben genannten Modi. Er bedeckt den ganzen Bildschirm, lässt die Taskbar verschwinden und hat keinen Rahmen, welcher das Spiel an sich umgibt. Weiterhin unterstützt er Streams und Alt-Tabbing, da das Spiel dann wie im Fenstermodus im Hintergrund weiterläuft.

Momentan kann man Lotro den Vollbild Fenstermodus mit Hilfe von außenstehenden Programmen oder Änderungen in der UserPreferences.ini aufzwingen, allerdings ruiniert dies die Benutzeroberfläche, da der "virtuelle" Mauszeiger nicht mehr an der selben Stelle ist wie der "reelle" Mauszeiger, was ein Spielen unmöglich macht.

Ich weiß nicht, ob Turbine solch einen Vollbild Fenstermodus für unsere Clients einführen kann, aber ich wäre sehr glücklich, wenn dies geschieht.

Nimelrian

Re: Windowed Fullscreen (window /wo borders) - Vollbild Fenster (Fenster ohne Rahmen)

Quote Originally Posted by Nimelriana View Post
    English version:

Hello,

since Turbine has announced it's Global Service, I wanted to make this suggestion.

There is one thing I'm missing in Lotro: A Windowed Fullscreen mode in the display options.

Other games support this display mode, which creates a window without any borders.

Differences between Fullscreen, Window and Windowed Fullscreen:

The Fullscreen mode covers the whole display and delivers a good frame rate, but alt-tabbing is a pain (Blackscreen while switching from game to desktop and vice-versa) and you have to "leave" the game, to check desktop, ICQ, etc.

The Windowed mode doesn't cover the whole screen, as it shows a border around the game screen, which "shrinks" the game's field of view. On the other hand, this mode favours players switching from game to desktop quite often, as the game will run in it's own window in the background. You can also stream your game session, using programs like XSplit, which doesn't support Fullscreen recordings (I know a few people streaming their raid sessions).

Windowed Fullscreen combines both of these modes, creating a window without borders, making the taskbar disappear and allowing fast alt-tabbing and streaming.

You can tweak Lotro, making it run in Windowed Fullscreen by changing the UserPreferences.ini or using third party programs, but it will mess up the UI, as your "virtual" mouse won't be there, where your "real" mouse is.

I don't know, if Turbine will include such a display mode into their next updates, but I would be very happy to see this happen.

TL;DR: Include a windowed fullscreen mode.

Nimelrian
    Wilkommen!

Please permit me to continue in English; my two years of German were fifty years ago.

On the North American servers, the default has always been to have the full screen without borders. To get a smaller screen with borders, we type Alt-Enter. And repeat Alt-Enter to get back to the full screen.

The bordered screen isn't full-sized and there doesn't appear to be a way to enlarge it so that it's almost full but with borders.

If Alt-Enter didn't work for you before the transfer, perhaps it will work now; try it and see. If it still doesn't work, perhaps it will in future.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

AW: Windowed Fullscreen (window /wo borders) - Vollbild Fenster (Fenster ohne Rahmen)

Hello djheydt,

I know about the Alt+Enter Hotkey, but it's doing just one thing: Switching from Fullscreen into Window mode.
    Let me show you some screens from Starcraft 2:

Fullscreen and Windowed Fullscreen (With focus on SC2):

Windowed Fullscreen (with focus on another window):

Window:

You should see the difference.

Nimelrian

Re: Windowed Fullscreen (window /wo borders) - Vollbild Fenster (Fenster ohne Rahmen)

Yes, I do, sort of, though I'm not familiar with that game at all.

I don't know how, or whether, Turbine would install such a feature. However, someone at Turbine reads every single post on these forums, and suitable suggestions, questions, whatnot are passed on to the devs. So they might ... though it would be at least a couple of years from now.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

AW: Windowed Fullscreen (window /wo borders) - Vollbild Fenster (Fenster ohne Rahmen)

Well, what about ingame browsing? The TP-Shop already gives the basics

I can browse ingame using the Steam-game-overlay service, but it doesn't allow you to switch fast between desktop and game, unless you use the window mode.

Nimelrian

Thumbs up Re: Windowed Fullscreen (window /wo borders) - Vollbild Fenster (Fenster ohne Rahmen)

So basically what the op suggests is to set the inner window area to be the same as the screen resolution so that despite being in windowed mode, no border can be seen.

Using some simple function calls you can get the inner and outer dimensions of the window and resize and position it accordingly on screen. I'd say that'd take about ten minutes to put in tops code wise. Adding the stuff to the UI and getting that coded will add to that time of course.

It definitely is a 'nice to have' thing. Supports the immersion.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000020dee/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I'd like this feature. I currently run in windowed mode so that I can switch back and forth between the game and a spreadsheet where I track things like which recipes each of my alts have, how much TP I've earned and spent, and a number of other things I want to keep track of while playing. The flexibility to be able to switch back and forth like that currently means I have to have a border and title bar on the game window. I'd much rather have the game look like full-screen mode.