We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Do US-based players experience much lag on this server?

I recently returned to LotRO and I have heard a lot of good things about Laurelin. I see that it is a European based server, however, and I am based in the US. Do a lot of US based players RP on Laurelin? If so, I was hoping some of them could tell me how badly they experience lag or latency. My internet connection isn't blazing fast, but it is decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelmit View Post
    I recently returned to LotRO and I have heard a lot of good things about Laurelin. I see that it is a European based server, however, and I am based in the US. Do a lot of US based players RP on Laurelin? If so, I was hoping some of them could tell me how badly they experience lag or latency. My internet connection isn't blazing fast, but it is decent.
    All the servers are currently located in the same data-centre, in the US. So latency should be the same on all of them.

All servers are located in US. Laurelin, -along with the other worlds previously operated by Codemasters-, was on EU ground (in Amsterdam if I recall well), but that was more than five years ago, back in 2011 when Turbine took over the server/s. As for role players during those hours, though Laurelin may still have less activity at that time than a primary US-based world, it is far from inactive (at least when it comes to role play). And as Laurelin was and is still the only (English-speaking) server with an additional official ruleset for the encouragement and preservation of rp and a more immersive enviroment, (the say channel reserved for IC use, character names fitting for the setting, and protection of roleplay from repeated harassment) naturally ever since 2011 players from the other US worlds have been coming to Laurelin for those reasons. This has been such a great in scope movement that has over the course of time significantly changed the population dynamic: in that whereas before it was very quiet when EU sleeps, after 2011 and the following years, the presence during these hours could/can be clearly seen.

And the social panel can show this. Often during such hours it has shown one hundred players just in Bree-land, Ered Luin, and in the Shire. More on the later areas. And then there may be even more players that may not show up if they are set as anonymous, or in an instance. So feel at ease; you will not be alone. Very many other folk on the server just like you (and me) that used to play on other servers aforetime as you will most likely learn for yourself after a while, or even from the very first days.

And speaking of all this you have recalled to my mind the words of players that used to play on other servers before Laurelin.

'It's a combination of the scenery and the "life" within.''

''Since coming to Laurelin (and especially after finding the Arda Channel), I really can't connect with any other game or even any other server on this game. I tried out Landroval since it is a US server and I am American, but I realized instantly that the rp community is much more unified here on Laurelin.''

''Immersion, and a real connection to Tolkien's world are paramount to me.''

''There is no way I am turning back [referring to her previous server]. There is a great difference in dynamic here; much more meaningful.''

''There are nearly ten in our company that came over. What I particularly appreciate is the attention that is paid to culture rather than power-leveling.''

''I first started on Gladden. There was little, if any, social interactions, it was all power-leveling. I tried Landroval and it was alright, though not very lore adhesive, and I am in love with the lore. I gave Laurelin a shot and loved it and the players within.''

''I came to Laurelin in my curiosity for RP. I have had an interest, but never before have I done it. I started and immediately grew a love for roleplay and Tolkien's Middle-earth, and so in the past year I had been exploring, learning, and loving Tolkien's lore as time went on. However, my learning was not wholly myself indulging into Tolkien's books, but also through converse with several other players of Laurelin. The year that passed I had learnt a lot in regards to Tolkien lore. Though, I grew a special love for Laurelin. For unlike any other RP server Laurelin features among the MOST artistic and creative roleplayers that I have encountered. The folk here truly are skilled in bringing their characters to life via means of artwork and skill with words.
    I will say that it came upon me like a wind and swept me along with it!''

''Even though I must start all over again to reach lvl 90, I do not mind it. The company here is far more enjoyable and it has allowed me to really explore my RP character properly that I was creating on Imladris.''

''I am happiest here on Laurelin, as I can play with so many others who share my love and passion for Middle-earth.''

''I know several of those whom I met through my journeys on two other servers who would have kept with the game if they had first come here.''

Welcome back to Middle-earth!

[And feel free to send me a message in-game; I will be glad to welcome you on the server too.]