We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Legolas in the Hobbit

Well if official, Orlando Bloom will return has Legolas in the hobbit.
    I think it is very likely that he was there, and even fought in the battle of five armies, so I welcome in the movie.
    But what do you guys think? do you think this breaks lore? and if so how?

Re: Legolas in the Hobbit

I'd say, does not break lore. He may not have been mentioned, but he is Thranduil's son. Logic dictates that he could very well have been present. The only way for it to break lore, as I see it, is if we define lore-breaking as "must be mentioned by name, otherwise it doesn't exist at all, logic and common sense be damned". Yes, PJ is obviously trying to capitalize on the Orlando fan-crowd by bringing him in, but even if one does not approve of him appearing, it does not make it lore-breaking.

While I do also find it likely that Legolas fought in the Battle of the Five Armies, I don't think we will see him there in the movie. Last I heard, Orlando's role in the movie was just going to be a cameo, and not a full-time role, though I could off course be wrong on this and things changed. Personally, I hope he is one of the elves that gets drunk during Bilbo's and the dwarves escape; That would be a just payment for making Gimli the drunk in the Trilogy.
    Last edited by Macfeast; May 29 2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Graindim Dwarrowfare, Lord of Baruk Khazad;
    Host and guide of the Pilgrimage to Khazad-Dûm.

---

I doubt they will go any further than a cameo or a mention/introduction, if that. It establishes the world and the longevity of the elves to show him 'existing' before the following storyline so I don't see it as lore-breaking.

I thought he was mentioned in the hobbit?

There are a number of places he could appear. In the group of feasting Elves when Thorin is captured. He could also be part of the group that captures the rest of the company. He can be hovering in the background any time his father appears. There is no reason for him not to appear at the Battle of Five Armies. Minor roles and small speaking parts would not lore-break. On the other hand if he shows up in Lake Town and takes Bard's place, killing Smaug, that's a break.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by LowfatEnvelope View Post
    He was not. I don't even think Tolkien gave the Elven King a Elvish name in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Valmarill View Post
    I doubt they will go any further than a cameo or a mention/introduction, if that. It establishes the world and the longevity of the elves to show him 'existing' before the following storyline so I don't see it as lore-breaking.
    PJ loves his "Legolas Moments" - expect a triple back flip onto a charging Warg followed by an arrow to the Warg's head, after which he springs onto a nearby tree branch, swings over it until he's hanging upside down, bat-style, and proceeds to fire off three more arrows into some charging Orcs.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]"You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

[/FONT]

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

My guess is that he will be involved in the captivity of Gollum in Mirkwood by the elves.
    Durin 'the Council of Elrond' he breaks the news of Gollum's escape:

`Alas! alas!' cried Legolas, and in his fair elvish face there was great distress. `The tidings that I was sent to bring must now be told. They are not good, but only here have I learned how evil they may seem to this company. Sméagol, who is now called Gollum, has escaped.'
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    My guess is that he will be involved in the captivity of Gollum in Mirkwood by the elves.
    Durin 'the Council of Elrond' he breaks the news of Gollum's escape:
    That isn't part of the Hobbit though, and I think it was only a year before the Fellowship sets out that Gollum actually was captured. If the movie will include an epilogue that deals with what happens between the Hobbit and the Trilogy (and if they do, I really hope they show something that deals with Balin's expedition to Moria), then maybe...though it's worth to note that in PJ:s version, Legolas wasn't there to bring news of Gollum's escape (at least, he never mentions it), but rather was summoned, a change from the books where everyone just turned up by chance.
    Last edited by Macfeast; May 29 2011 at 03:35 PM.
    Graindim Dwarrowfare, Lord of Baruk Khazad;
    Host and guide of the Pilgrimage to Khazad-Dûm.

---

Quote Originally Posted by LowfatEnvelope View Post
    The character of Legolas Greenleaf had not yet been created when The Hobbit was published in 1937. As Tuor66 mentioned, the Elf-king was not even named. Retroactively we know the Elf-king is Thranduil and that Legolas is his son.

It makes sense that Legolas appears in the movie, but in a faithful adaptation he would not have a big role.

Lol a bunch of role players who know nothing about role playing, (putting on my Peter Jackson beard), prognosticates "Legolas will replace the role of Bard the bowman and shall slay Smaug", see if I'm not right!. Jackson will have Legolas as one of the wood elves feasting with the master of lake town at Thorins arrival thus he will still be in town when Smaug is roused and starts burning the place down.
    Last edited by Morthaur; May 29 2011 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    Lol a bunch of role players who know nothing about role playing, (putting on my Peter Jackson beard), prognosticates "Legolas will replace the role of Bard the bowman and shall slay Smaug", see if I'm not right!. Jackson will have Legolas as one of the wood elves feasting with the master of lake town at Thorins arrival thus he will still be in town when Smaug is roused and starts burning the place down.
    If you're referring to my earlier post, that was an example, pulled out of a hat, of what would be a major lore break, not a prediction. Personally, I expect Peter Jackson has enough common sense to realize the significance of the role of Bard in the story. What does role playing have to do with this topic of discussion ?

[/FONT]

It was my belief that it alowed me to think like a Peter Jackson would?, forgive me if thats the ill-logical conclusion I reach when asked to consider the involvement of Mr Bloom in this film. If you think a big star would return for a non speaking cameo role in a movie that has taken a long time to shoot then thats your perogative.

Edit sorry Tuor looks like you got in first, but where you you think its improbable I think its highly likely.
    Last edited by Morthaur; May 29 2011 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morthaur View Post
    It was my belief that it alowed me to think like a Peter Jackson would?, forgive me if thats the ill-logical conclusion I reach when asked to consider the involvement of Mr Bloom in this film. If you think a big star would return for a non speaking cameo role in a movie that has taken a long time to shoot then thats your perogative.

Edit sorry Tuor looks like you got in first, but where you you think its improbable I think its highly likely.
    Now I understand. I think you're correct - none of the returning cast (not including McKellen and Serkis) are going to just walk by in the background and wave at the camera. But there is room to do it tastefully. Legolas can be present and have a few comments when his Father first questions Thorin as to who he is and so on. Same goes for the parley at the gate and the Battle. I'd love to see a well written set-up scene at the beginning of the movie between Frodo and Bilbo (Ian Holm) where Bilbo starts to tell him the tale.

I hope you (and others) are wrong about a Legolas usurp of Bard's role. Bard stands for the good men of Dale while the Master of Lake Town is more out for himself, especially once the going gets tough. In addition his presence at the parley lets Thorin offer him and his people a share if the armed forces move off. It would be very easy at this point to show Thorin as a stubborn greedy Dwarf who wants it all for himself. This offer allows a bit of characterization that he can be reasonable and even fair (in Dwarf terms).

[/FONT]

I don't think Legolas will usurp Bard, but I do think at some point he will offer to toss a Dwarf.

Bard is important to the lore, being in the line of kings for Dale, what I thought PJ to do, was to mix The master of Laketown and Bard into one person, he still might. As for Legolas killing smaug, well I would bet all the money I have and will ever make that PJ is not that dumb.

Though if you watch the making of the fellowship, when Gandalf died, PJ told Bloom to look in shock like he had never seen death before. (that is how PJ saw it) Now we know from then book that legolas did fight orcs in mirkwood when Gollum escaped. So he had seen death. But maybe that will keep Bloom out of the battle of five armies and away from Smaug.

Oh and yes, big name actors will make cameo roles, look at Robert Downey Jr. in the Hulk

I absolutly HATE and DREAD that he is going to play any part in it. Nothing against the actor, its just not in the book. And when it comes to movies portaying the book, it should be the book not an "oh, it could happen" type thing. It was a well detailed book, you don't need to add anything Jackson you fat sack of....

Also no one is bringing this up, but I hear Galadriel is going to be in this as well....

Yes, the plan is to add some detail into what Gandalf was doing when he split from Bilbo and the Dwarves just before they entered Mirkwood.

[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Waxe View Post
    I absolutly HATE and DREAD that he is going to play any part in it. Nothing against the actor, its just not in the book. And when it comes to movies portaying the book, it should be the book not an "oh, it could happen" type thing. It was a well detailed book, you don't need to add anything Jackson you fat sack of....

Also no one is bringing this up, but I hear Galadriel is going to be in this as well....
    The whole White Council will be in it, thats why its going to be two movies. Part of it will be The Hobbit while the other part portrays the White Council going to war with the Necromancer in Mirkwood.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000002094d/01003/signature.png]Dalewulf[/charsig]

[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Shags2dope12121 View Post
    The whole White Council will be in it, thats why its going to be two movies. Part of it will be The Hobbit while the other part portrays the White Council going to war with the Necromancer in Mirkwood.
    Well, why don't they call it the Hobbit and the White Council goes to War instead of making a ####### out of one of the best peices of literature in the world.

EDIT: Was going to edit a word out for vulgarity, but no, the word needs to be there, there is no nice word to describe what is being done... Is the same guy going to play Saruman though, Christopher Lee?

Ohio, where we never have any adventures or do anything unexpected

There seem to be some pretty strong feelings regarding this bit of news, so I thought I'd repost my thoughts from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Reddhawk View Post
    I'll reserve judgement until I see the films. It would make sense for Legolas to appear in the periphery of the Mirkwood scenes, though I imagine—on account of Mr. Bloom's previous fame—that he'll probably have a speaking role. Even that could be alright if handled correctly. I don't mind the appearance of additional characters, so long as they avoid becoming the focus of the central story. After all, the entire point of splitting The Hobbit into two films was to create enough time and space to properly explore additional elements of the lore, such as the comings and goings of the White Council in its toils against the Necromancer.

So far, from the news I've seen I have a feeling that things are moving in the right direction (especially with regards to character additions) in this production. Just recently, Jackson himself announced that he had cast actor Conan Stevens in the role of Azog, perhaps suggesting that we may get to witness some of the origins of the deep animosity between Orcs and Dwarves (or so the folks over at TheOneRing.net seem to think). If handled in this way, I can only see additional characters adding to the beautifully rich and intricate tapestry of the films and illuminating otherwise marginal aspects of the lore. So long as they remain appropriate to the lore and the particular timeline explored, I am perfectly fine seeing characters not directly mentioned in the book. On the other hand, the character additions I do vehemently abhor are those of Jackson's own creation. It has long been rumoured that he will be including a character known as Itaril, a lady of the Silvan Elves and guardian of Thranduil who finds herself "in love with a young elf lord" (Legolas, anyone?). Saorise Ronan, star of Jackson's adaptation of The Lovely Bones, had even been slated to fill the role. Note the emphasis on had. What exactly this means is anyone's guess. It could be that the role has been eliminated, or simply that Ms. Ronan will not be involved. I'm hopeful for the former, and if that is indeed the case then it certainly bodes well for these films. Regardless, from what I've seen thus far, the news appears to be far more positive than not.

Quote Originally Posted by tuor66 View Post
    Minor roles and small speaking parts would not lore-break. On the other hand if he shows up in Lake Town and takes Bard's place, killing Smaug, that's a break.
    Like he didn't break a few things in the LOTR Films, Glorfindel anyone... He didn't get a mention his most notable role was replaced by Arwen in the films. Not exactly how he should of treated someone who slew a Balrog. Now Gandalf on the other hand you'd expect to possibly stand toe to toe with one, they are the same type of being in different embodiments just like Sauron, all three are Maia. But Glorfindel was an Elf, granted he died during the battle but was rewarded by being re-in-bodied and sent back to Middle Earth.

As for

Jackson himself announced that he had cast actor Conan Stevens in the role of Azog
    There are two places in the Hobbit I can see this coming.

1st. At the Unexpected Party when the dwarves are discussing the expedition in Bilbo's home with Bilbo and Gandalf. Azog is mentioned, as the one that slew Thrór, Thorin's Grandfather.

2nd. At the beginning of the Battle of the 5 Armies, Gandalf states that the goblins are being led by Balog who's father Dain had killed. Balog was Azog's son, and Mazog's Father.

In either of these situations a flashback showing Azog would work.
    Last edited by Cronjo; May 31 2011 at 07:59 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000152057/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Cronjo View Post
    Glorfindel anyone... He didn't get a mention his most notable role was replaced by Arwen in the films.
    He would show up for those 3 minutes and you wouldn't see him afterwards. Cutting him off in order to give Arwen a little more screen-time isn't that bad imho.

There are two places in the Hobbit I can see this coming.

1st. At the Unexpected Party when the dwarves are discussing the expedition in Bilbo's home with Bilbo and Gandalf. Azog is mentioned, as the one that slew Thrór, Thorin's Grandfather.

2nd. At the beginning of the Battle of the 5 Armies, Gandalf states that the goblins are being led by Balog who's father Dain had killed. Balog was Azog's son, and Mazog's Father.

In either of these situations a flashback showing Azog would work.
    Or they can do, you know, the same kind of awesome prologue they did in FotR.
    Re-ni-AN-nen - strayed (ppt. of renia- 'to stray')
    Aeled Reniannen, Defender of Middle-earth ~ Nendhiniel, Forge-Warden : Captain and Wardenette from [EN-RP] Laurelin
    Fluffrash, Blade of Barashish ~ Nathraen, Conqueror of Towers : Warg Puppy and Spider Tailor from the darker side thereof
    Faradwen, Swift-Arrow : Huntress from [EN-RE] Landroval

As if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.
    ~~~~~
    Kári was a little Dwarf. / Smaller than you or me. / And wherever Kári went / He took his axe… or three.

At this point I have to agree with Reddhawk - exploring a few things that get hastily skipped over in the books isn't a bad thing, if done correctly. I have to draw the line when it's felt that original characters are needed along with new storylines because there's felt to be a deficiency in the original material. Let's take the "Itariel" story-arc... yes there is no significant female character in the book, no damsels in distress, no love interests or triangles but does every movie need that aspect to be successful ? Thinking so only shows a lack of imagination in my opinion. I find it hard to believe that only males will go see The Hobbit if Cate Blanchett is the only actress appearing in a speaking role. That's like suggesting that only men have ever read the original book. Many of the great movies out there are the ones that ignored the so-called formula for success. If a story is well written and true to it's message, it doesn't need artificial hooks grafted onto it.

[/FONT]

Peter Jackson has shown that he's willing to change the events that occur in the story (e.g., Arwen instead of Glorfindel, Merry and Pippin starting out in Hobbiton, etc.) but he's been pretty damn good about keeping to the spirit of Tolkien's world. I have no worries that Legolas will appear as any other than the son of the elf-King up where Bilbo was imprisoned.

He'll almost certainly appear in the scene at court where the elf-King questions Bilbo, and there's a good chance he'll show up at the battle of the five armies (and immediately before it when the elves are trying to stake their claim to the Dragon's hoard) as well. But that's about it.

Bard? Don't be silly. It's already been announced that Bloom will play Legolas in the movies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast