We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lore - Master & Traits

I am looking for some advice on traits, i have searched on google and read some articles on trait sets, i am wondering which set you all recommend for my lore master,

If i have read and understood the information on lotro wiki, there are three sets:

1- The Keeper Of Animals
    2- Master Of Natures Fury
    3- The Ancient Master

Putting aside the legendary traits that obviously at my level i probably shouldn't be thinking about, which set do you all think is best and why?...

I really want to get the most out of my lore master and i am definitely not afraid of the hard work to get there

Thanks in advance!.
    [center][color="#FF00FF"]~ Check Out My Page For Blog Entries & Screenies! ~[/color]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130000000bef67/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [color="#FFA500"]Freeps: Katyana - Lore Master | Annaleese - Champion | Annalyn - Hunter | Llyssa - Rune Keeper[/color]
    [/center]

Re: Lore - Master & Traits

Honestly, the class plays extremely differently at level 50+ than it does at level 20-30, so it won't be useful to you at all to think too hard on this But really, they all have uses: MonF for solo/dps, Ancient Master for raids mainly, KoA for easier soloing and better self heals. The class is fairly well balanced with the three trait lines (perhaps KoA could use a boost).

Another reason it's not a huge issue and you should pick useful traits instead of traitlines: most of the good traitline features need 3-5 in the line, and you simply don't have enough trait slots open to experiment much yet.

At level 18 and probably to your mid 30s you probably want to just pick the most useful trait that you have open, and try both raven and bear and see which you prefer, and then blinding flash + fireball everything, and practice cracked earthing groups of monsters. In mid 30s you get herb lore, which will really help your CC abilities and you will be able to take on much larger crowds (also get the lynx for aoe dps - or as I call him, the mez breaker ). Your eagle legendary in your mid 40s or so will help you survive quite a bit, and once you get all your skills in your mid to late 60s you might find yourself as a AoE run in and burn them with mass fire sort of class (instead of stand back, mez + wittle away an enemy at a time). There are probably other ways of playing but the above is what I did.
    Last edited by rhegan; May 26 2011 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhegan View Post
    Honestly, the class plays extremely differently at level 50+ than it does at level 20-30, so it won't be useful to you at all to think too hard on this But really, they all have uses: MonF for solo/dps, Ancient Master for raids mainly, KoA for easier soloing and better self heals. The class is fairly well balanced with the three trait lines (perhaps KoA could use a boost).

Another reason it's not a huge issue and you should pick useful traits instead of traitlines: most of the good traitline features need 3-5 in the line, and you simply don't have enough trait slots open to experiment much yet.

At level 18 and probably to your mid 30s you probably want to just pick the most useful trait that you have open, and try both raven and bear and see which you prefer, and then blinding flash + fireball everything, and practice cracked earthing groups of monsters. In mid 30s you get herb lore, which will really help your CC abilities and you will be able to take on much larger crowds (also get the lynx for aoe dps - or as I call him, the mez breaker ). Your eagle legendary in your mid 40s or so will help you survive quite a bit, and once you get all your skills in your mid to late 60s you might find yourself as a AoE run in and burn them with mass fire sort of class (instead of stand back, mez + wittle away an enemy at a time). There are probably other ways of playing but the above is what I did.
    Thank you so much for the speedy reply, i will take all of that into account, you mentioned a legendary Eagle pet?, i don't believe i have ever seen one in game, am i just missing it?, or is it rather hard to come by and obtain?.
    [center][color="#FF00FF"]~ Check Out My Page For Blog Entries & Screenies! ~[/color]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130000000bef67/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [color="#FFA500"]Freeps: Katyana - Lore Master | Annaleese - Champion | Annalyn - Hunter | Llyssa - Rune Keeper[/color]
    [/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Katyana View Post
    Thank you so much for the speedy reply, i will take all of that into account, you mentioned a legendary Eagle pet?, i don't believe i have ever seen one in game, am i just missing it?, or is it rather hard to come by and obtain?.
    Eagle is a pet you get as a legendary add, a ways off for now to you. Unless some higher level LM is cruising through Bree with one out, you most likely would not see one.

Good advice from Rhegan, cherry pick from the traits you currently have and try to make the best match. A trait chain really isn't really avalable at the lower levels. Watch your virtues, I was constantly swappping them in and out as the advanced for the best match. You may really want Valor, but if your justice is 2 points higher it may be a better temporary virtue to slot.

Cast your skills often to advance some of your skill deeds. Here is a "cheat" for your healing, cast it on your pet everywhere, it counts as a days use. The same with share the power once you get it. Cast it on your pet as often as you can, it counts. Later in life you will want this maxed out. If warding circles have a usage skill advance, pop them all over town Cast BF every time it's not on CD and use your staff in melee earlier than later. In my case I think I would have survived better by going melee at lvl 18 than trying to up my staff slills at 32.

Enjoy, LM isn't the easiest, but definitly gives me more to do than hack and slash.

I can't remember all the skills that have usage usage upgrades. You might want to Google LM skills and look.
    Used to show a pic... Seems to be broken links now. Good Ole Turbine.

Excellent, thank you, i was actually wondering about my virtues, i will have another look when i am in game next and see what i have slotted right now...
    [/center]

Quote Originally Posted by rhegan View Post
    also get the lynx for aoe dps - or as I call him, the mez breaker
    Actually the lynx only has one AoE skill and it's something you have to initiate. The Feline Hunter on the other hand, that joker will break mezzes on every swing.

And I don't recall anyone mentioning it, but make sure you get Master of Staff as soon as possible since it adds a nice increase in damage to your staff.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000001b5373/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Gladvo R6 Burg, Heartscar R6 RK, Morrall, Baldisbeautiful, Makeyoubleed

I would suggest though to slot only two red traits at your level, no more. You will seriously gimp your survivability if you slot three or more, and at your lvl the increase in dps is pityful. Full MoNF spec is for endgame loremasters only imo. Its the improved sticky gourd that makes the traitline great, and you dont get that till lvl 60 or so.
    The red traits you do want are master of the staff and flame of Anor. Another trait thats kind of a musthave is fast loader from the yellow line, and next to those three you pick the traits from the blue line you like best. Blue is the best line for soloing at the lower levels, asides from the three traits I mentioned

As someone mentioned earlier, KoA is "easier levelling" through stronger pets and better heals. If you want to spend some time grinding out traits, I believe someone has also mentioned that certain traits can be ground without fighting. Most notably...

(warning: the following is a really boring way to spend your time)

Once you have access to Light of Hope (improves Beacon of Hope,) you can summon your pet, go to a secluded location, and heal your pet ad nauseum until the deed caps for the day (in your deed panel, the progress bar will turn yellow). Once you finish the deed, slot it and you'll be better able to heal your pet.

Proof Against All Ills improves both your curing abilities, and can be ground the same way with Tend the Sick. It's useful for clearing disarms (wounds) in combat, as well as a few bleeds and slows. (unlocks at level 30.)

Healer is a very nice trait that improves all your healing, including self-heals from flanks. Grind it by casting Leechcraft on yourself or your pet in a secluded location

Beast-Lore is the same, and the trait is nice. In fact, the only KoA trait you have to be in combat to advance is the Wild and the Ward, which isn't as important as the rest.

What I, personally, would recommend is to simply buff your pet with Rage every time it looks like it's going to wear off (Beast-Lore), use Staff Strike whenever it's off cooldown (Master of the Staff, in the MoNF line), and then maybe grind out some Leechcraft in the cat-house in Bree for Healer.

Trait Hardy Pets and Beast-Lore for the burliest pet you can get, Master of the Staff gives the best DPS boost out of any trait, and Healer helps you stay alive with flank heals and keeping your pet alive with Beacon of Hope.

... that's just my recommendation, if you wanted a laid-out plan of attack. Really, cherry-picking what you have available and using abilities early and often should see you through just fine.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000194797/01008/signature.png]Bartle[/charsig]

Cool Re: Lore - Master & Traits

I wish I had saw this thread when I started playing LOTRO earlier this year. My first and main character is a LM and my learning curve is way behind the one laid out here. You found the LM forum so that is an excellent start too. This is really good advice on trait lines and advancing the keys traits at the early levels (without using alot of acronyms that I couldn't understand). I didn't "grind" the traits early enough and wound up spamming leechcraft, beacon of hope etc. later. I still do not have my eagle and I am at Level 52. Heck I just just all of the pages of my lore books just this week, now that was a frustrating grind.

Find a group and fight with them as you tend to be squishy in the begiinning if you try to handle more than 2-3 aggro.

You are a ways off, but I found out about this stuff several levels later than I should have....

At level 39?, buy all three lore books from the LM trainer and start trying to get the pages for them as they unlock your legendary traits. I found the majority of my pages in Angmar, some in Moria and the final elusive ones in Goblin town and Gashruz (sp?) in the Misty Mountains.

At level 45, unlock your first legendary weapon by doing the Moria quest...it is an easy one to do.

I love playing the LM, it is a very cool character. I am trying to get into a new burglar but then I hit level 40 with the LM and decided to play the LM all the time...too much fun.
    Last edited by Eaglewulf; May 29 2011 at 10:17 AM.

Hi Katyana,

It all really depends on the situation. I am coming up on lvl 40 (this is my first character) and there are definitely some shifts in gameplay ahead. The loremaster can be quite versatile- I would advise you to train everything that you can otherwise you won't be prepared when certain situations arise.

Red line (Master of Nature's Fury) is great for solo questing and just blasting things. But that will only go so far. If you need to fight a more defensive battle you will want blue line (Keeper of Animals) so you can throw more heals, and more powerful heals. It can also come in handy in a fellowship situation if the main healer needs some backup. You probably won't use the yellow line (Ancient Master) too much until a bit later, but I still say train what you can now and that way it will be ready when you realize that you need it. Yellow line helps with crowd control (CC) and power channeling.

You can mix and match as well. The game does a very good job of introducing different mechanics through natural character development. The only thing I would say is to make sure that you are developing all of your traits to the daily max. Some of them can take a minimum of 10 days- and if you are playing consistently you could easily level once per day. The last thing you would want is to have a whole new area or instance open up to you, only to find that you have to spend the next 10 days grinding out heals on your bear so that you can meet the challenge.

Looks like we are on the same server. If you like, add me to your friends' list and I can show you some things that I have learned.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130000000751bc/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Esgaled View Post
    Hi Katyana,

It all really depends on the situation. I am coming up on lvl 40 (this is my first character) and there are definitely some shifts in gameplay ahead. The loremaster can be quite versatile- I would advise you to train everything that you can otherwise you won't be prepared when certain situations arise.

Red line (Master of Nature's Fury) is great for solo questing and just blasting things. But that will only go so far. If you need to fight a more defensive battle you will want blue line (Keeper of Animals) so you can throw more heals, and more powerful heals. It can also come in handy in a fellowship situation if the main healer needs some backup. You probably won't use the yellow line (Ancient Master) too much until a bit later, but I still say train what you can now and that way it will be ready when you realize that you need it. Yellow line helps with crowd control (CC) and power channeling.

You can mix and match as well. The game does a very good job of introducing different mechanics through natural character development. The only thing I would say is to make sure that you are developing all of your traits to the daily max. Some of them can take a minimum of 10 days- and if you are playing consistently you could easily level once per day. The last thing you would want is to have a whole new area or instance open up to you, only to find that you have to spend the next 10 days grinding out heals on your bear so that you can meet the challenge.

Looks like we are on the same server. If you like, add me to your friends' list and I can show you some things that I have learned.
    Again thank you all for the replies, i have learned a lot already from you all. I believe i just got my Master Of The Staff trait done, i slotted it and seem to be doing okay. I shall take all of the advice here and try to become a better Lore Master..

I will definitely add you in game, and thank you for offering to help a noob
    [/center]

It all depends on your play style, and what sort of role you want to play in the game. Many people mix and match constantly, but some prefer to keep to a similar pattern or "throw all their eggs in one basket" and take a specific line. Here is my personal list of suggestions (each assuming you have all trait slots at your disposal, which means that this info will be more useful to you at a later level):

"The Beast-Keeper"-Class: Hardy Companion, Master of Beasts, Light of Hope, Healer, Imroved Flanking, Harmony with Nature, Fast Loader (OR Master of the Staff). Legendary: Noble Savage, Sword and Staff, Nature Friend.

"The Lore-Nuker"-Class: Master of the Staff, Harmony with Nature, Flame of Anor, Awareness of Body, Tactically Adept, Light of Hope, Healer. Legendary: March of the Ents (OR Eagle Friend), Sword and Staff, Improved Sticky Gourd.

"The Debuff-Master"-Deep Lore, Power and Wisdom, Fast Loader, The Secret of Tar, The Study of Wind Lore (That would be my choice, but Fire Lore or Frost Lore are fine too), Harmony with Nature, Healer. Legendary: Sword and Staff, Eagle Friend, Force of Will.

"The Lore-Master of Many Talents"- Fast Loader, Healer, Light of Hope, Power and Wisdom, Harmony with Nature, Master of the Staff, Flame of Anor (OR Awareness of Body). Legendary: March of the Ents, Sword and Staff, Noble Savage.

Note that the traits Harmony with Nature and Healer are included in all four lists. Both are very useful traits that should prove their worth on many occassions. Note also that the Legendary Trait Sword and Staff is listed in all trait variations. This is because the trait is simply beyond good and (in my opinion), no Lore-Master who is Level 50+ should be without it.

Hope this was useful.