We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Developing a Role Playing Character: Questions

I am assuming that being true to the Original intent of Tolkien is important in this process

like developing a pink swathed Bronie fairy winged champion would be frowned upon

So I am trying to pick between my Races and classes and want to know if I have a close approximation of my ideas

Races

Humans: Are young, brash, energetic, hopeful (for the most part) but can also be moody, hateful, dark and forboding (an emotional storm)

Elves: Being at the end of their rainbow are subdued almost resigned and are merely hanging on to help Man overcome the evil of Sauron and establish the age of men

Dwarves: also of a faded glory, with many of their old empires crumbled, dour and a bit forlorn and very very clannish

Hobbits: Stoic yet sparky, small yet strong, meek yet bold, nothing is too big for them and no complaint is too small for them. The real magic of Middle Earth

Second Question....Classes

To me some classes seem more suited to the game play (Champions, Guards,) Some see like they would be better suited for RP (Burgs, Minis and LMs) and some seem a mid range between both (Warden, Hunter) and then there is the captain which I am clueless about (but then I am not really interested in playing one)
    I imagine the game still needs to be played to gain levels, so class will play an issue

Last Question

I am still developing the character Idea but I am thinking along the lines of "Han Solo of Middle Earth" fly by the seat of your pants type rogue. One who doesn't easily give alliances but once given, is solid as a rock. No where near as dark as Aragon, and not as flighty of Peregrin and without the family restrictions of Faramir

So along those line I am thinking of one of the following Combinations

Human Hunter

Human Minstrel

Hobbit Hunter

Hobbit Minstrel

I am favoring the Hunter, but the mini seems like he might always be the hit of the party

The guy will stab you, but not in the back (no burg) and he's not going to stand in the fray and take a beating for a principle that that is not his own (kind of lets out champion, guard and captain) Hunters strike me as loners and minis are just odd enough to be anything

Not on that list is a Warden, even though that is my favorite game player, the implication that they have a military background would not mesh so well with my "pirate attitude"

Any suggestions or things I am missing would be appreciated
    Last edited by HardestyGrimwall; Mar 04 2016 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HardestyGrimwall View Post
    So I am trying to pick between my Races and classes and want to know if I have a close approximation of my ideas
    When developing a character, you do NOT want to rely on stereotypes. Trying to categorize these four races into certain personalities that they 'generally' are really stunt character creation and limit the potential of a character. Besides, in real life, how often do stereotypes match every single person that falls into that category?

I'll take a stereotype that both you and I share (as per another thread): Californians. There are a ton of stereotypes with the Californian. Of the people you know in real life, how many of them fit perfectly into every category? How many of them fit into *any* stereotypical category? I know for me, a lot of them fit in few to none of these stereotypes.

When it comes to developing your character, you want a combination of both their culture *and* their life experiences to shape who they are. A young Elf is going to have a drastically different point of view from an old Elf. A rich noble in Minas Tirith is going to have a drastically different experience from a poor person in Minas Tirith. The culture they grew up in is not solely based on their race but also based on their character background as well as their personality. One farmer in the Shire might have a completely different outlook on life compared to another farmer simply due to how they were raised, who they have met, and what lucky or unlucky things have happened to them.

In other words, I would abolish those personality types you put to the races. I think they limit you too much and are unrealistic.

To me some classes seem more suited to the game play (Champions, Guards,) Some see like they would be better suited for RP (Burgs, Minis and LMs) and some seem a mid range between both (Warden, Hunter) and then there is the captain which I am clueless about (but then I am not really interested in playing one)
    In heavy RP, I completely and utterly ignore the class I am playing when it comes to the skills and knowledge of my characters. My main RP character is a hunter, and while she can use a bow in-character, her actual profession is a healer. My OOC jeweler cannot make jewelry in RP. And so on.

However, what class you play can make it easier and more visually fun for determining what weapons your character can wield. While ICly people can say they are wielding whatever they want to, if you would like a physical representation of an in-game item for your character, consider what these classes can wield when choosing your characters' classes (I think I covered all weapons... someone correct me if I am wrong about something):

Beorning: Bows/crossbows, one and two-handed clubs and axes
    Burglar: One-handed daggers, swords, clubs, maces
    Captain: Halberds, small shields, one-handed and two-handed daggers, swords, clubs, maces, axes
    Champion: Bows/crossbows, one-handed and two-handed daggers, swords, clubs, maces, axes... possibly spears?
    Guardian: Bows/crossbows, light and heavy shields, one-handed and two-handed daggers, swords, clubs, maces, axes... possibly spears?
    Hunter: Bows/crossbows, one-handed daggers, swords, clubs, maces, axes, spears
    Lore-master: Staves and swords.
    Minstrel: Small shield, one-handed daggers, swords, clubs, maces
    Rune-keeper: RK rune rocks. Not a good class for displaying weapons on, they really got the short stick there.
    Warden: Warden shields, javelins, one-handed daggers, swords, clubs, maces, axes... possibly spears.

The cosmetic weapon system allows a lot of interchanging between shield types, one handed, and two handed weapons, too.

I am still developing the character Idea but I am thinking along the lines of "Han Solo of Middle Earth" fly by the seat of your pants type rogue. One who doesn't easily give alliances but once given, is solid as a rock. No where near as dark as Aragon, and not as flighty of Peregrin and without the family restrictions of Faramir

The guy will stab you, but not in the back (no burg) and he's not going to stand in the fray and take a beating for a principle that that is not his own (kind of lets out champion, guard and captain) Hunters strike me as loners and minis are just odd enough to be anything

Not on that list is a Warden, even though that is my favorite game player, the implication that they have a military background would not mesh so well with my "pirate attitude"

Like I said, building a character along the lines of what class you roll is not necessary and not necessarily the most fun. A lot of people have a ton of fun making a class that fits their character. However, especially if you are planning on leveling up, you should enjoy the class play more than the generic class 'fitting' the role. It's simply not necessary.

Otherwise my hunter could never have become a healer :P My lore-master actually really dislikes animals.

So I would say that if you want to level a toon to 100, make it the class that fits what you want to play the most and so long as the weapons fit cosmetically with your character, you should be fine. Since you are not planning to RP out the game (or so it sounds like), then it doubly does not matter what class you roll for the character.

My two cents on it all.

PS. Aragorn isn't really dark. He's a bit grim, definitely, but not dark. And he has something of a wicked sense of humour, especially with Merry and Pippin. Book FTW.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

There's nothing wrong with making a character that's true to type. Even within the list of clichés you listed, you can still craft a compelling characterization. That is to say, you can be a stumpy, grumpy dwarf and still be secretly sentimental or whatever. Depends on your own interests and that of your RP audience. And your motivation for RPing in the first place.

I (and most RPers I know) don't pay much attention to an RP character's class. You should feel free to pick whatever class you most want to play most, and develop the character without restriction. Class is largely irrelevant outside of combat-oriented RP. You'd be amazed how many times I never even stop to look at a character's class!

That said, if building around a specific class helps you, go ahead! Hunter definitely makes sense for Rangery and woodsy types, whereas knights and soldiers usually fit better with Champion, Guardian, and Captain. Minstrels make good wandering bards. It does help to take class restrictions into consideration when planning a character (for example, if you want an archer, you'll want to play a class that can use bows. If you want a musician, Minstrel is easiest because they can learn all instruments).

On a side note, I love your overview of hobbits. I have a special place in my heart for them. I agree that they are the true magic of Middle-earth! Best of luck building your character, and have fun!

The Free Folk
    A kinless roleplay community on the Landroval server.
    "And we dance to the merriment of all."

Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post

Warden: Warden shields, javelins, one-handed daggers, swords, clubs, maces, axes... possibly spears.
    I am slightly concerned with the "possibly spears" point at the end, javelins and spears are staples of the class!

Aside from that, I would add that although Beornings shouldn't be used in RP for lore reasons, using one for the different cosmetics and posting in the bio something like "Not a beorning just a regular man/woman"

Just to add my 2 cents, if you are considering "combat" / adventuring RP, I'm not a big fan of the glowing hands nuking mini. If you're strictly going to RP "in town", then it's easy enough to stay out of that stance and as mentioned previously mini comes with the additional bonus with respect to musical instruments.