We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Minstrel and instruments...

During my EQ days I was a Bard and I loved the class. Always disappointed me how MMORPGs failed to recognize them as a legit class.

I'm planning on reprising my role as a Minstrel when I get into lotro. I have a question regarding instruments: is it like in Everquest where you equip different instruments or is it automated?

Thanks! See you in Middle Earth.

Re: Minstrel and instruments...

You equip different instruments to get different buffs, or have different effects on the monsters.

Or, if you play /music, to get different sounds.

Go here for the list.
    Last edited by jeffm; May 11 2011 at 12:06 PM.
    [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=goldenrod]Aphadrim uin Calad (Followers of Light) Kinship on Elendilmir[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [size=1][URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=249684]AuC Official LOTRO Forum Thread[/URL]
    [COLOR=#0ac92b]Gloriel Ingalad's Elven RP Poems & Stories [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/gloriel/journal/]Here[/url][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#e33638]Tester from SoA Alpha Phase 3 through Update 6 & Founder[/COLOR] ... [url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?173114-Along-the-Paths-of-Middle-earth][color=#8deeee]Link to over [b]700[/b] of my quality screenshots[/color][/url][/SIZE]

Yes you can equip a variety of musical instruments. In fact certain instruments give bonuses for certain things, for example the Drum is better for dealing damage.

There is no requirement for songs to be played by certain instruments.

On a side note, minstrels can also teach/train other players on instruments so even they can equip them and play /music with them.
    [CENTER]
    [URL="http://my.lotro.com/home/character/Riddermark/Hocus"]
    [/URL] [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
    You equip different instruments to get different buffs, or have different effects on the monsters.

Or, if you play /music, to get different sounds.
    Ah, I see. In EQ it wasn't really a necessary thing, more visual than anything. Is there a inventory slot for instruments and is it required to "cast" a song? (if so, do you have to switch between instruments?)

Thanks!

yes there is a inventory slot. But he is mistaken. All songs, buffs, damage can be done with any instrument. BUT the instrument you use can have bonuses on it that effect things.
    [CENTER]
    [/URL] [/CENTER]

Thumbs up Re: Minstrel and instruments...

Quote Originally Posted by Daredent View Post
    Yes you can equip a variety of musical instruments. In fact certain instruments give bonuses for certain things, for example the Drum is better for dealing damage.

There is no requirement for songs to be played by certain instruments.

On a side note, minstrels can also teach/train other players on instruments so even they can equip them and play /music with them.
    "There is no requirement for songs to be played by instruments..."

That's what i really wanted to know. That's good to hear. But using an instrument enhances the buff- makes sense.

Some minstrel skills play a brief line of music. You need to have an instrument equipped in the ranged weapon slot to play that line of music/use that skill. Some skills are buffs/debuffs/damage, or have other effects. Go to a minstrel trainer to see the skills minstrels will get as they advance, or go here.

What the line of music sounds like will depend on the instrument you have equipped, but the effect of executing that skill is the same.
    Last edited by jeffm; May 11 2011 at 12:14 PM.
    [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=goldenrod]Aphadrim uin Calad (Followers of Light) Kinship on Elendilmir[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [size=1][URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=249684]AuC Official LOTRO Forum Thread[/URL]
    [COLOR=#0ac92b]Gloriel Ingalad's Elven RP Poems & Stories [url=http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/gloriel/journal/]Here[/url][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#e33638]Tester from SoA Alpha Phase 3 through Update 6 & Founder[/COLOR] ... [url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?173114-Along-the-Paths-of-Middle-earth][color=#8deeee]Link to over [b]700[/b] of my quality screenshots[/color][/url][/SIZE]

Cool Re: Minstrel and instruments...

Quote Originally Posted by Daredent View Post
    yes there is a inventory slot. But he is mistaken. All songs, buffs, damage can be done with any instrument. BUT the instrument you use can have bonuses on it that effect things.
    I was actually planning on being a Hobbit Minstrel on Riddermark... how do you like the server? I'm trying to avoid a very high population

I really enjoy the Riddermark server.

Here is a great place to start with lots of minstrel learning resources.

Look me up when you get in-game. Glad to help you out a bit.
    [CENTER]
    [/URL] [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
    Is there a inventory slot for instruments
    They go in the ranged weapon slot.

"There is no requirement for songs to be played by instruments..."
    That's "no requirement for songs to be played by certain instruments." You will need an instrument of some kind to play them. The basic instruments you can get at the beginning of the game have no extra buffs involved, so for the first few levels the only difference involved in which instrument you choose to play is what it looks like and sounds like. Starting at level 20 you can get crafted instruments that add extra buffs, such as a harp that reduces the power it costs to play ballads, or a drum that increases the damage you do with them, etc. You still have the option of using any instrument, but may get a different buff depending on which you choose. As you move further up in levels (or in some cases as you gain reputation with certain factions), instruments become available with increasingly better buffs.

I do want to warn you about carrying your assumptions about Bards with you into LotRO. Minstrels are not Bards. While they have some similarities, the more you go looking for exactly what you had before, the harder time you will have in seeing what the game actually provides.

If you tell us what you liked about the Bard, maybe we can let you know what LotRO class is a best fit. Or try out a few.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by Niwashi View Post
    They go in the ranged weapon slot.

That's "no requirement for songs to be played by certain instruments." You will need an instrument of some kind to play them. The basic instruments you can get at the beginning of the game have no extra buffs involved, so for the first few levels the only difference involved in which instrument you choose to play is what it looks like and sounds like. Starting at level 20 you can get crafted instruments that add extra buffs, such as a harp that reduces the power it costs to play ballads, or a drum that increases the damage you do with them, etc. You still have the option of using any instrument, but may get a different buff depending on which you choose. As you move further up in levels (or in some cases as you gain reputation with certain factions), instruments become available with increasingly better buffs.
    Cheers, good answer. So do you buy normal instruments from your trainer at the beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    I do want to warn you about carrying your assumptions about Bards with you into LotRO. Minstrels are not Bards. While they have some similarities, the more you go looking for exactly what you had before, the harder time you will have in seeing what the game actually provides.

If you tell us what you liked about the Bard, maybe we can let you know what LotRO class is a best fit. Or try out a few.
    I appreciate your concern but I'm not carrying over any assumptions. I've played a wide range of MMORPGs... EQ, FFXI, AC, DAoC, and WoW. I never expect a game to play the same. Bards in EQ were DPS, CC, AoE, and secondary buffers. I'm well aware Minstrels in LOTRO play a much different role: primary healers.

My flashback to EQ was only to point out that I played a Bard and never saw the class in another MMORPG since. (FFXI might have them, but it was a speciality class, not available from the start. Not sure about DAoC, its been awhile...) Anyway, I praise LOTRO for bringing back the namesake, even if the roles have changed.

Looking forward to playing a main healer, as well as seeing what LOTRO brings to the table of my favorite genre. See you in game! Thanks for the help.

Cheers, good answer. So do you buy normal instruments from your trainer at the beginning?
    You can, but better instruments can be crafted by Woodworkers. Often they are for sale in the auction house, or you can ask in /trade channel for a woodworker to make an instrument you can equip. (They have minimum level restrictions on them.)

I appreciate your concern but I'm not carrying over any assumptions. I've played a wide range of MMORPGs... EQ, FFXI, AC, DAoC, and WoW. I never expect a game to play the same.
    I'm very glad to hear that! After having had many "class X sux" arguments with new players, I'm glad to hear that you're approaching this with an open mind.