We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Plugins haven't had their own thread in a while, let's discuss!

So I'm a fairly experienced LOTRO player, been playing since before Moria, but I don't have a single plugin installed. I recently started playing a class that has 'response' skills as a staple and for some reason I've been getting annoyed with missing them. After some venting in Ventrilo(lol) my kinmates pointed me towards an LUA plugin that helps a lot with it. After a little bit of digging I noticed there are actually quite a few fantastic type plugins and was surprised I've never heard it come up in vent, kin chat, etc etc more often. So anywho my questions;

-Do you use plugins? Why/Why not?
    -What plugins do you use?
    -Which plugins would you like to see?
    -Do we have a timeframe on when Turbine may be expanding the ability of the plugins?[Allowing more functions]
    -Any other general plugin discussion~
    Last edited by Starrywisdom; Apr 25 2011 at 03:54 PM.
    I'm an expert - look at my join date, bro.

Re: Plugins haven't had their own thread in a while, let's discuss!

-Do you use plugins? Why/Why not?
    -What plugins do you use?

Yes, quite a few.
    • Bevy o' Bars -- I wrote it!
    • VBar -- And this...
    • Warden Indicator -- And this... Got sick of forgetting the warden trees
    • BuffFrame -- Tracks buffs. Unreleased right now. Keeps the screen tidy.
    • Shady's clock -- Erm... A clock is handy on screen for me!
    • Shady's manager -- Indispensable.
    • DeusDictum's DragBar -- Most of my plugins depend on it.
    • Lyrical --Helps with RP
    • Songbook --As does this.
    • BuffMonitor --Keeps me on my toes!

Why? I want a really clean user interface - a lot of this hides stuff till I need it. And also to help me with RP. But, also because programming plugins adds another enjoyment dimension to the game for me.
    -Which plugins would you like to see?
    Monitor oppnent buffs, monitor party buffs. Custom party buff frames. A plugin to sort the backpack that works (mine is broken right now).
    -Do we have a timeframe on when Turbine may be expanding the ability of the plugins?[Allowing more functions]
    No, sadly. And I am hoping they don't abandon the idea.
    -Any other general plugin discussion~
    Is anyone else using plugins to clean their UI?

I'm using the plugins to help me with my handicap (short term memory stuff). The more they can offer here the better I'll enjoy the game.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000012f910/signature.png]Saelminreth[/charsig]

I used the Plugin Manager, Travel and BuffBars.

But from what I understand, Turbine has slowed development on LUA since it came out and IIRC outside developers have been begging for access to the new API, but Turbine pretty much said they'd get it to them if they can find a developer to put it together (same thing with the UI).

And, as there hasn't been much word on it as of late, it would seem that LUA scripting has been dropped...like hobbies, housing, PvMP, and everything else they add to the game.

My suggestion to Turbine...stop adding developer side projects to the game because when that developer leaves the company, no one else picks up the slack and that aspect of the game falls to the wayside. I've seen it happen time and time again.

It's like "Hey, we've got this great new aspect of the game coming out in Update XYZ", but then three months after it's released, development on it stops because the developer has left and no one moves forward with it.

Heck, the new forums came out almost a year ago, and they're STILL in "Beta".

P.S. Here's a reply from Sapience regarding the UI API...of course, this is from back in March. No word since.

While Frosty is still here at Turbine, he is no longer involved directly with the UI skinning system. However, I've pointed those who are actively involved with the system to this thread and impressed upon them how important this issue is to the community. No promises, but they did agree to look into a fully updated asset pack as soon as time permits.
    "As soon as time permits". Which means never.

Quote Originally Posted by Elderban View Post
    I used the Plugin Manager, Travel and BuffBars.

But from what I understand, Turbine has slowed development on LUA since it came out and IIRC outside developers have been begging for access to the new API, but Turbine pretty much said they'd get it to them if they can find a developer to put it together (same thing with the UI).

And, as there hasn't been much word on it as of late, it would seem that LUA scripting has been dropped...like hobbies, housing, PvMP, and everything else they add to the game.

My suggestion to Turbine...stop adding developer side projects to the game because when that developer leaves the company, no one else picks up the slack and that aspect of the game falls to the wayside. I've seen it happen time and time again.

It's like "Hey, we've got this great new aspect of the game coming out in Update XYZ", but then three months after it's released, development on it stops because the developer has left and no one moves forward with it.

Heck, the new forums came out almost a year ago, and they're STILL in "Beta".

P.S. Here's a reply from Sapience regarding the UI API...of course, this is from back in March. No word since.

"As soon as time permits". Which means never.
    When Lua was introduced, I had a feeling this was going to happen, even though I obviously hoped that this time they got their sh*t together - and stopped introducing great ideas - full of potential, but then leaving the project to gather dust, well before it reached that potential.

That being said, I'm not quite ready to throw Lua onto that ever-growing list of half (or less than half) implemented projects - at least yet. I'm willing to wait until Isengard to see if there's anything new, before calling it DoA.

Finally, I'll add a couple more to your list:

1) data.lotro.com: Although still functional, there's plenty of room for more data, as well as a need for a fix to what data is displayed where. For instance, in order to get the url for an item icon, you need to load the XML for that item - meaning that in order to just display a standard character panel, you have to preload all the items, instead of just loading item data when the user "mouses over" a slot. Another example is only showing the item's id for set pieces, requiring you to load item data for each set piece, just to get its name. Both of these combined lead to making far too many requests

2) my.lotro.com (or whatever they want to call it now since they did the upgrade). For this, I'll tell the two tales of Artemedis. This is were the bar is set, and this is what they left it at. Now, I'm not saying that Turbine should just rip off the Armory - I'm merely saying that my.lotro.com should display that same degree of information, including character portrait, actual LI details, rep, deeds, PvMP, character stats and traits. Yes, a character portrait would be a bit more complex, thanks to the superior level of appearance customization in LotRO, but it's not impossible. Hell, if I could figure out the .dat format, that would be my first project.

To be honest, this is what makes things the most frustrating for me. I have no issues or complaints about wanting to use my own time to provide the community with useful tools or apps - basically letting Turbine do whatever they really need to do, and letting the community happily pick up the slack. But first, they need to let the community help them out, by giving us the tools and information to do so. I've heard devs say that they believe it should be their job alone to provide features for the community. That's a very honorable point of view, but listen, that only works if you have the time and manpower to get these projects completed.

We want to work with you Turbine. We love the game, we understand that you can't do everything and we want to help you provide features to this great community. However, sticking to your guns about feeling its your duty alone to make these features only serves to frustrate everybody - because we know, just as you should, that you have nowhere near the manpower or time to get the job done. At the end of the day though, we have the exact same goal - to improve LotRO to fill the needs and desires of the community - both in and out of game. However, as you've seen through everything from CStats, to Combat Analysis, or even my pre-data.lotro.com XML system - despite the wish to work with you, our goal is still more important. If it can be done, it will be - with or without your help. I know that sounds a bit smug, but at the end of the day - the more features and ways a player can surround themselves with the game, the more likely it is that they keep playing (and paying). So really, in this case we're doing it for your own good.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wK9A7aa.png[/IMG]

[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Fourohfour | [B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Artemedis | [COLOR=Blue][B]60[/B][/COLOR] Whiskeytango Foxtrot | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]50[/COLOR][/B] Mistah Boombastic | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]56[/COLOR][/B] Appetizer | [B][COLOR=#a7a7a7]25[/COLOR][/B] Aggromi | [B][COLOR=blue]61[/COLOR][/B] Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts [/SIZE] [/CENTER]

I love Plugs!!!

1st.. the control proggys

Lotro Plugin Assistant (easy drag drop install for *most* plugins)
    Plugin Manager by Cearbhall (main plugin control for game)

Plugins

Align
    Alt Inventory
    BevyOBars2
    BuffBars
    BusyBee
    Emo
    Horsey (1-3)
    Lotropad
    MoorMap
    Palantir
    Songbook
    TonicBars
    Travel

All wrapped in a awesome Custom B.G.M. UI (made with permission)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000009d2d6/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Hello everyone. My name is Inkpot...and I'm a Plugaholic...

In my defense, however, I would like to point to the sheer godlike awesomeness of the plugins I'm using:

*HugeBag by Habna
    *MoorMap by Garan
    *Mouse Cursor Highlighter Advanced by Fortunis
    *TonicBars by NuclearTonic
    *TravelWindow by D.H1cks
    *LotroCompendium by lunarwtr
    *Songbook by Chiran
    *CTime by Chronicleward
    *PluginManager by Cearbhall
    *LotroPad by Chiran

If there's a 12-step program out there for me, I don't want anything to do with it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c00000027b798/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]