We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Captain's Weapon: Greatsword, or Halberd

These days I am trying to do quests way over my head, and I keep dying. My armor rating is good, i get that from skirm camps, but my weapons are not as good. I have a recipe which I will make soon, it has a Gondorian Headmans Halberd, ?- 90 attack, while I have a greatsword with up to 70 some. The Greatswor hs a faster DPS than the halberd. Which to use?

Re: Captain's Weapon: Greatsword, or Halberd

the one with the biggest DPS number/ best stats.
    Nerves, of the Brandywine.

welp, looking at your char,.. anything would be better then the lvl18 2H sword your using currently. You being lvl 26,.. thats an old sword to still be using , to get the best bang for your buck in damage done.

Looked at a bit of your gear, but got alot of tooltip errors, so couldn't see what exactly you was wearing. I will not comment there, I'm still young & learning also on my Capt.

edit:
    If this is the weapon you're still using..

Heavy Iron Greatsword of Agility
    Bind on Equip

Two-handed Sword
    32 - 54 Common Damage
    17.2 DPS
    Wield: Your Hit-chance is slightly increased.
    +12 Agility
    Durability 100 / 100

Normal
    Minimum Level: 18
    Last edited by Thsil; Apr 20 2011 at 04:25 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000003ea552/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Yep in terms of damage, what you want to look at is the DPS rating.

Also, if you are questing against mobs above your level, then that means you are more likely to miss when attacking. The inherent bonus all swords (including 2-handed swords) have is a bonus of an extra 1% to hit. So in your case in particular, all other things being equal, I would recommend using a Greatsword rather than a Halberd. Also keep in mind eventually as a race of man, you will gain a racial trait that gives you an extra +2% damage from swords as well.

I have a lvl 39 cappy and I actually try to carry on me both a greatsword and a halberd. I use the halberd basically only if I am in a group and doing some tanking (due to the extra +threat generation on it) and use the greatsword in basically all other situations.
    [color=teal]Officer and Co-Founding Member,[/color] [url=http://www.kismetbp.com]Ring of Destiny[/url]
    [color=silver]Gladden server[/color]
    [i][color=yellow]Á auta mornië! i cala tula lennar! ("Flee, darkness! The light comes upon you!")[/color][/i]

Halberds and Great Swords of the same level will have the same DPS and the same range of damage. This wasn't always so (or so I've been told) but that's that way it is now. You need to always be within 3 levels of the weapon you are using. This will require you to plan ahead. However, if you're a weaponsmith as you have alluded, you have no excuse for not always having an on level weapon.

As for which one is better outside of damage, the weapon type bonuses are marginal. I always choose a GS because any amount of missing less is good. If you play a lot with other people and you need to peel bad guys off them, perhaps the halberd will be better for you. In the end, it's really just a choice of which one has better stat adds and which one looks cooler. At your level, you will be switching weapons so fast it won't matter if the higher level weapon doesn't appear to be as good as a lower level one. Take it anyways as a new one is right around the corner.
    Commander Cariance - Mostly Dead - Riddermark
    Sentry Wariance - ISMELLMANFLESH - Riddermark

Ok then I should probably buy a better sword in the auction house? The quest I'm finishing gives me the Great Axe of the Brown Wizard, ?-77 attack, with +50 parry rating, 40.2 in combat regen, and 13 might. Im not sure about dps though. Should I go with that or the best sword on the auction?

One thing to keep in mind is (if you play regularly) you'll shoot up levels pretty quickly. I might stay away from the AH at the moment unless you can get a really good deal on something. Don't get too attached to your weapon/armor at your level either, as you'll probably swap them out on a semi-regular basis.

By the way... are you in a kinship? Usually you can ask in your kinship if anyone can make you armor/weapons. Those would probably be the same as what you'd find in the AH but you'd probably get them for free.

Yes I a in a kin. I will ask them to make stuff for me. And thanks for the tip.

the wield bonuses on weapon types are too small to make any real difference, and even the 2% class/racial damage bonus is marginal, especially at low levels. go with whatever has the best stats.

Ok

another thing to note on choosing a weapon is don't pay attention to dps. Instead pay attention to max damage. The captains damage come from crit hits and crits calculate damage from max damage of your weapon, not dps. - M.
    Meagh of Dale . Crickhollow | Meacair of Rohan . Landroval
    [url="http://goo.gl/SA4Yi"]My LOTRO Blog[/url]

Find items with more of max morale and vitality those items are more valuable when lvling up.

Before level 30 I tend to upgrade weapons every 3-4 levels. After 30 you can start finding better stuff that will last a bit longer.

Try to do some Great Barrows Classics and get the GB armor set. This is a good set at least till the level 32 Dwarf steel crafted set. It will also help boost your Melee stats a good bit.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000025c3eb/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Max Damage, Max Vitality, Max Power, Great Barrow Classic Armor Sets... Check. Thanks. I am better off now. But a thing about the armor, a friend of mine gave me some more armo that was like 400 points better, but Ill look in the GB classic.

Does anyone else miss the weapon speed variability between weapon classes pre SoM?
    [center][b]<Free Peoples> | <The Beorning>[/b][/center][center][color=lightgreen][b]Caption[/b] - Captionation[/color] | [color=red][b]Chaption[/b] - Ownage Champion[/color][/center]
    [center][b][color=lightgreen]Ungolianta[/color] | [color=white]Sharps[/b][/color][/center]
    [center][b][color=black]Nimrodel[/color][/center][/b]

Quote Originally Posted by RtrnofdMax View Post
    Halberds and Great Swords of the same level will have the same DPS and the same range of damage. This wasn't always so (or so I've been told) but that's that way it is now. You need to always be within 3 levels of the weapon you are using. This will require you to plan ahead. However, if you're a weaponsmith as you have alluded, you have no excuse for not always having an on level weapon.

As for which one is better outside of damage, the weapon type bonuses are marginal. I always choose a GS because any amount of missing less is good. If you play a lot with other people and you need to peel bad guys off them, perhaps the halberd will be better for you. In the end, it's really just a choice of which one has better stat adds and which one looks cooler. At your level, you will be switching weapons so fast it won't matter if the higher level weapon doesn't appear to be as good as a lower level one. Take it anyways as a new one is right around the corner.

^This , though I always been an halberd person.

fillerzzz..
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Meagh View Post
    another thing to note on choosing a weapon is don't pay attention to dps. Instead pay attention to max damage.
    DPS and max damage aren't independent anymore. A 2-handed weapon with X DPS will always have Y minimum and Z maximum damage. You could choose based on the minimum damage and you'd end up with the exact same weapon you would if you chose based on max damage or DPS.

Which leads to...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hall_Of_Mandos View Post
    Does anyone else miss the weapon speed variability between weapon classes pre SoM?
    Yeah, a bit, though I don't miss there being a "correct" weapon choice. Still, it would have been nice if Turbine had balanced the existing speed system rather than replace it with the homogenized "differences are only cosmetic" system we got. They seem to be allergic to interesting mechanics.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=dimgray]::: [SIZE=3][URL="http://waywatchersofcardolan.guildportal.com"][COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=4]T[/SIZE]he [SIZE=4]W[/SIZE]aywatchers of [SIZE=4]C[/SIZE]ardolan[/COLOR][/URL] [SIZE=2]:[/SIZE] [URL="http://palantiri.guildportal.com"][COLOR=LightBlue][SIZE=4]T[/SIZE]he [SIZE=4]P[/SIZE]alantiri[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE] :::[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Garamond][COLOR=DimGray][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/balgr/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Balgr Snowmantle[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=Silver]: Curmudgeon[/COLOR] :[SIZE=4][COLOR=#303030].[/COLOR][/SIZE][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/saladoc/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Saladoc Willowleaf[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=Silver]: Stick-in-the-mud[/COLOR]
    [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/ciruth/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Ciruth of Gondor[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=Silver]: Itinerant Scholar[/COLOR] : [COLOR=LemonChiffon][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/halvr/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Halvr[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/khasi/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Khasi Flamebrow[/COLOR][/URL], and [COLOR=LemonChiffon]Kholi[/COLOR][COLOR=Silver]: At your service![/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray][URL="http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/MrPinstripes/FFXI%20Stuff/AustrevenMH21409.jpg"][COLOR=dimgray]Austreven[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=3][COLOR=#303030].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]of Cobalt (Bismarck)[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hall_Of_Mandos View Post
    I don't, but I wish that the other intrinsic bonuses to weapon type were beefed up a bit to provide variety.
    Nerves, of the Brandywine.

Greatsword. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by RtrnofdMax View Post
    I think changing weapons every three levels is a bit extreme, even doing content over your head. At least as a captain. I have taken three captains up there, and until like level 40, I only changed weapons every 8-10 levels.

Level 12 crit crafted
    Level 20 single use crafted
    Level 28 crit crafted
    Level 38 crit crafted -OR- something from doing the GA instances from the Eglain barter.
    Level 41 guild crafted.

As far as armour goes, skirmish armour is NOT the best in the game, at the lower levels, crafted armour is (critted/single use) and Yah, go for the GB armour if you like doing the GB runs or grouping. Armour for me goes like this (as captain).

Quest/starter gear until level 20. At 20, when you get heavy armour use, I go for critted level 18 or level 22 armour or level 20 single use crafted. Then I either get the GB armour -OR- upgrade to level 28 crit armour. By level 31/32 I make sure I have either level 28 critted or GB armour, and if not, replace with level 31/32 critted armour. After this point I either wait for Fem armour or upgrade weak(lower level) or important (chest piece) armour with level 38 critted.

Skirmish stuff works, but make sure its the purple stuff, the green/yellow stuff is worthless.

And I know this is stupid, but make sure you are using heavy armour.

There is now an Evendim set which includes cloaks, jewelery and a weapon. Also, at level 40 you should have kindred with the Wardens in Evendim which results in a nice weapon and pocket item. I'd suggest skipping the level 32 crafted set in favor of this.

Hold onto that set until you can get the Fem armour. That set should last you until 45, at which point you should trade it up for a set of critted lvl. 45 armour.

This is how I'm playing my captain. Your mileage may very.

~*Knights of Valinor*~
    Biarn, Aranothir, Ceal & Ailsie

I have two bits of advice.

First, I would recommend using the halberd for its better parry chances (and preferably better stats), especially once you get up there in the levels, because you want to kill things quickly, because more things will soon be charging after you. Once you get to the levels where you'll be using legendary weapons, I would recommend using a 2H Sword, because of the racial sword bonus and because it just looks more stylish.

Second, I would recommend you use a 1H sword and shield, with a herald and without. Play around with your strengths and weaknesses while dishing out lower dps and using up more power. It's not as mow-em-down effective as going the two-handed route, but there are so many captains out there who don't know how to play their character effectively because they are only used to using the same skills in the same order rather than being flexible and playing to suit the scenario. One of the best ways to pick up this flexibility is to run out there with a sword/shield (or spear/shield if you can find a decent spear (see stylish remark above)). You're going to get hurt, possibly have to retreat a few times, but you're going to learn your class a lot better than you would going the easy route.

-Madame of Nimrodel
    Last edited by Piccolopasso; Apr 22 2011 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CWood
    DPS and max damage aren't independent anymore. A 2-handed weapon with X DPS will always have Y minimum and Z maximum damage. You could choose based on the minimum damage and you'd end up with the exact same weapon you would if you chose based on max damage or DPS.
    I didn't realize this. I don't think the formula for crit hits changed though and this is the implication of my post. I think that you should choose your weapon for the edge it's gonna giving in crits if you want to maximize dps. With improved halbred training one would suppose that would automatically mean the halbred even though base stats are equal.
    Meagh of Dale . Crickhollow | Meacair of Rohan . Landroval
    [url="http://goo.gl/SA4Yi"]My LOTRO Blog[/url]

I didnt really read the whole post but Halberds put out more threat which doesnt help a guard in those fellow fights/instances...

On your passive skill sheet find Halberd and it says so
    Rank 10 ~ Blindreaver

Quote Originally Posted by VillageStooge View Post
    I didnt really read the whole post but Halberds put out more threat which doesnt help a guard in those fellow fights/instances...

On your passive skill sheet find Halberd and it says so

Going to only reply to this post..
    Is a Capt really an issue even when using a Halberd for another Tank to stay ahead of?
    Wouldn't it be best for a class, like a Capt to pull slight agro over.. other dps classes, being a plate class, if & when agro does fall off the MT?

Does a Halberd really effect a Capt on drawing constant agro over a Tank on a reg basis? I'm really guessing no.. with all the low dps threads that go around here.

It's not like we're a Champ or something aoe dps wise..

I'm mainly inquiring to feed & understand..

/bow
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000003ea552/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast