We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LOTRO armor and cosmetics

Maybe it's just me, but LOTRO just seems to have the absolutely most horrible looking selection of clothing and cosmetics. Almost none of it is tastefully designed, and the color schemes (many undyeable) just scream "colorblind designer!" To make matters worse, I believe that Turbine knows how bad their cosmetics are yet they refuse to do anything about it, making the ugliness an intentional part of the costuming. Conspiracy to sell more "cosmetic" items in the LOTRO store? I don't know... those are generally pretty darn ugly too.

What really gets me is how their advertising shows decent and sometimes unique clothing items, but none of it is ever seen in game. Take their current Anniversary ad below... the blue dress is actually fairly decent, but is it available to players?

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000001a0c4a/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    | (2) 65 Wardens | 65 Rune Keeper | 65 Guardian | 54 & 51 Hunters |
    | 51 Champion | 51 Captain | 51 Minstrel | 48 Lore Master | 28 Burglar |

Re: LOTRO armor and cosmetics

Totally disagree. Lotro has some gorgeous cosmetics (most of the things you see in the store are also available in game) and many people have put together very nice outfits using regular armour. Might want to check the thread on favorite cosmetic outfits.

And yes, the blue dress is available to players, though I am not sure it is sleeveless (at least the version I have of it).

Seriously? This is a joke, right? Some kind of sarcasm? If the cosmetics and armor in LOTRO are ugly to you then I'd like to see a game that has stuff you approve of. Personally, I think LOTRO's cosmetic choices are fabulous.

As to the dress in the picture, yes it is available. I believe that it came in anniversary gift boxes last year and so I assume it will again this year. Of course, the long sleeved version is available through Thorin's Halls rep and the short sleeved version can generally be found easily on the AH.
    [URL="https://sarahmccabemythopoet.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#b22222]Falling Toward Mythopoesis[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] My personal blog.

[URL="https://lotromusic.wordpress.com/"][COLOR=#008080]LOTRO Music[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#ffd700]~[/COLOR] ABCs, guides and resources for the compleat LOTRO musician.

Everyone has their own tastes, what you think is distasteful others find tasteful and vice versa. There's several cosmetics/armour I like just as there's several I don't like. There's some I wish dyed differently but I deal with it. No need to get rude about it just because your tastes differ from others.
    R.I.P. Big E

some of the low level armor is I'll admit pretty heavy (the gear the captain starts in is almost criminal )

but it's got some nice looking stuff too, assumeing you like themore down to earth style, if your idea of great looking armor is chainmain bikinis and truck sized shoulder pads then ya LOTRO won't do anything for you

Quote Originally Posted by LadyVix View Post
    Take their current Anniversary ad below... the blue dress is actually fairly decent, but is it available to players?
    I believe that is the Exquisite Dress.* There is also a long sleeved version (Exquisite Long Sleeved Dress) and a short sleeved version (Exquisite Short Sleeved Dress). The one shown appears to have been dyed Evendim Blue. All three dresses were available as Gift Box rewards during the last Yule Festival. I believe the dress available from Thorin's Hall is different--I will check this evening to confirm. All three dresses appear on the Auction House somewhat regularly in the 100 to 1000 silver range (on Vilya).

Many interesting cosmetic items, such as more comely dresses (in my opinion), become available as quest, reputation, and skirmish rewards. For example, visit the Cosmetics merchant at a Skirmish Camp and try on the two high-end dresses there. Some of the low end cosmetics awarded in starter areas can actually make for very "realistic" outfits without all the gaudy trappings of high end armor.

* Edit: I was wrong. That is a Dwarf Make Dress. A short sleeved version (Short Sleeved Dwarf Make Dress) appears in gift boxes from various events. The reputation vendor in Thorin's Hall sells the long sleeved version (Long Sleeved Dwarf Make Dress). If a sleeveless version like the one shown exists, I have yet to find it.
    Last edited by Vexendynamus; Jun 24 2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Corrected factual error.

To make matters worse, I believe that Turbine knows how bad their cosmetics are yet they refuse to do anything about it, making the ugliness an intentional part of the costuming.
    Aaaand here's where you went from expressing your opinion (which I don't share at all but respect nonetheless) to being outright rude.

Chacun à son goût, as they say.

Gladden - home of Willicar, the Angry Hobbit

I know hat that blue dress is available, I've been wearing it on an alt for years now.

The fact is, you can make the armor look incredible in this game, but it does take an effort and good use of dyes. Just look at the "What is your favorite outfit?" thread. There are some amazing looking characters in there, some of which that have inspired me to make my character look more awesome. But if you're just going to find random pieces and slap together an outfit with them, you'll probably look ridiculous, sure.

One thing to keep an eye out for is medium armor. The medium armor pieces in this game are often the most visually appealing. I always look out for them on my guardian, because I don't like how most plate looks on him. Also, check some of the threads around here for inspiration. I found some great suggestions from people on armor found on various vendors I wouldn't have even looked at.

Anyway, my point is, you can look amazing in this game, but you have to work for it. This isn't WoW where every piece of armor is lit up like a Christmas tree. But the good news is that with the outfit system you can look awesome at any level. You just need to get the money for dyes at be on the lookout for nice pieces.

Sometimes pictures speak louder than words... call it what you will. I call it ugly as hell.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000001a0c4a/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    | (2) 65 Wardens | 65 Rune Keeper | 65 Guardian | 54 & 51 Hunters |
    | 51 Champion | 51 Captain | 51 Minstrel | 48 Lore Master | 28 Burglar |

Lotro PLAYER CHARACTER armor cosmetics are a step behind the NPC looks. NPCs look like they belong in middle earth, Hobbits with waistcoats and breeches with brass buttons, Rangers with hoods and masks and rugged looking garb, Gondorian soldiers etc. Meanwhile PC gear looks like it's thrown in and doesn't really belong. And those long sleeves. horribly ugly look on all of them. For some reason the art team can't design long sleeved tunics or shirts. They throw a short sleeved tunic/shirt over a thermal undershirt is the general look and it looks stupid.

I'd pay TP for some long duster style coats you see like Aragorn wearing in the peter jackson films, or some ranger gear like the enedwaith grey company wear, or gear like the gondor soldiers wear in the book line. But apparently Turbine really wants us to look like generic fantasy characters rather than middle earth characters, with the grunge days look of tshirt over long sleeved shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
    Lotro PLAYER CHARACTER armor cosmetics are a step behind the NPC looks. NPCs look like they belong in middle earth, Hobbits with waistcoats and breeches with brass buttons, Rangers with hoods and masks and rugged looking garb, Gondorian soldiers etc. Meanwhile PC gear looks like it's thrown in and doesn't really belong. And those long sleeves. horribly ugly look on all of them. For some reason the art team can't design long sleeved tunics or shirts. They throw a short sleeved tunic/shirt over a thermal undershirt is the general look and it looks stupid.

I'd pay TP for some long duster style coats you see like Aragorn wearing in the peter jackson films, or some ranger gear like the enedwaith grey company wear, or gear like the gondor soldiers wear in the book line. But apparently Turbine really wants us to look like generic fantasy characters rather than middle earth characters, with the grunge days look of tshirt over long sleeved shirt.
    I agree 100%. I have said for a long time that Turbine should focus on getting us the "NPC gear". I was ecstatic to read that we could get a makeshift Ranger's hood and mask. Until I saw it... Dye it red, put a large cotton ball at the end of the hood and you have the most perfect Santa's hat...

Truth is, this game has SELDOM achieved the look that I feel Middle-earth would have for PLAYER CHARACTERS. The NPCs look fine; we look like some Hogwarts outcasts...

And heaven forbid they combine a Hood and eyepatch, so those of us that 'RP' a lost eye, could do so whilst wearing a hood...

Sometimes pictures speak louder than words... call it what you will. I call it ugly as hell.
    You cherry-picked a tiny handful of the most outrageous armour and refuse to visit the oft-mentioned 80-plus thread of various matched outfits that easily negate those threeeeee samples you gave?

But, the fix is very easy, you know.

Don't play the game.

As for the NPC outfit bit--I do agree with others that much of those ought to be made available to players as well. However, the NPCs have entirely different body designs, so it's not like their clothes can be directly ported. That's actually something that's always bothered me; why do NPCs have different body styles at all? And have you seen the way they walk? Egads.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilwych View Post
    You cherry-picked a tiny handful of the most outrageous armour and refuse to visit the oft-mentioned 80-plus thread of various matched outfits that easily negate those threeeeee samples you gave?

But, the fix is very easy, you know.

Don't play the game.

As for the NPC outfit bit--I do agree with others that much of those ought to be made available to players as well. However, the NPCs have entirely different body designs, so it's not like their clothes can be directly ported. That's actually something that's always bothered me; why do NPCs have different body styles at all? And have you seen the way they walk? Egads.
    The NPCs have that because this game was launched in an age when that really mattered for making a game for the masses (still does actually). Game designers must choose between making PCs look great or NPCs look great and who honestly cares about seeing good looking NPCs?

Sadly, for Turbine, in their quest to do so, they have made NPCs look great from an outfit standpoint and have yet, after 4 years, to give us as PCs any of this style and in the few instances where they may have attempted to do so, had destroyed it with some stupid "creative license" notion as to not allow us to fit in with the rest of the denizens of Middle-earth. (As I pointed out, Makeshift Ranger's Mask and Hood; would have been great if the Hood didn't look like a damn santa hat...)

QFT

I'd pay TP for some long duster style coats you see like Aragorn wearing in the peter jackson films
    I wanna say the outfitter in the North Downs has something LIKE that....

Quote Originally Posted by Trilwych View Post
    You cherry-picked a tiny handful of the most outrageous armour

The problem is, look at the armor on this site as well. LoTRO armor is ..pretty fugly. Now, yes you can mix/match and make work arounds, but that does not change the fact the armor sometimes just looks ...bad.

Some of the stuff on http://www.northshield.co.uk/LOTRO/Armour.htm makes me want to tear out my eyes. However, I do agree this is not wow and I don't want skulls hanging from my armor or shoulder pads big enough for a horse to walk on... for each shoulder.

No, we only have robes, we don't have long coats.

That's the problem.

I want long coats, with a shirt and breeches underneath.

No, we only have robes, we don't have long coats.

That's the problem.

I want long coats, with a shirt and breeches underneath.

You know, I would actually like that.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

You have to admit some of the costumes/gear looks are pretty hideous. I wish the crafted armor sets were better coordinated on color and style. Some of these sets are downright horrible.

Even so, part of my game is going through the stuff I loot/win/make and deciding what makes a good and possible unique look. Using dyes on simple cloaks or low-level quest rewards can be surprising. My newest toon wears a simple hooded cloak and a vendor bought crafting robe, and it is very clean looking and very hobbit appropriate.

Bottom line, if you care about how your character looks, you have to put some effort into it, just like most aspects of your toon.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

I wouldn't be adverse to a little bit of cleavage in the game. It's a tad too mormon. Women have always had breasts, and many have liked showing off some of those curves. The women of Middle Earth cannot be so much different.

(And I'm only talking cosmetics here ... not armour and such ... so keep your pajamas on ... I'm not advocating clichéd female fantasy armour.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chiot View Post
    I wouldn't be adverse to a little bit of cleavage in the game.
    My girls have cleavage. Obviously it depends on the style of the outfit as to how much, but it's there and it's tasteful in my opinion.
    R.I.P. Big E

Makeshift Ranger Mask is a perfect example of what's wrong with the outfit system. As another poster pointed out, dye it red and it looks like a christmas hat - that's just not right at all.

What we need is a secondary dyable area on outfits to be able to dye those currently-fixed-color areas. And added on top of that, the ability to either dye the entire outfit, or dye primary/secondary areas separately. Red and green on that ranger mask looks ??????, but what if we could dye it how we wanted? Like say crimson, with the face mask part dyed black? How much better would that look?

I like the fact that you can dye clothing in this game and I think it's an awesome addition that ramps up the customizability factor that separates Joe Guardian from John Guardian, BUT, the system is so limited in it's current form that half the time you do dye clothing, the colors just end up clashing horribly anyway (most often to the point that I just sigh, pass on it, and look for another item that hopefully dyes better).

Personal tastes are different from person to person. That's the biggest reason to have a good dye system in the first place. As for me, I'm a fan of solid colors, especially whites, blacks and grays... a gray and yellow robe, on the other hand (because I can't dye the yellow area)... I'm sorry but that just looks like ????... =/

^^^ QFT

plus, im all for removing 90% of all armours and cosmetics, and put in more "NPC" look. more middle-earth-belonged outfits. more long coats, ranger coats, hood cloaks, stuff that actually looks like armors and clothings for old-european look. dare i say, more Peter Jackson trilogy look. now THAT looks fantastic.

imagine a full-geared watcher/OD heavies with bright red or bright blue armors standing next to Aragorn in the movie. even the orcs would goes "WT*???"

i think the current armor and cosmetics looks good, dont get me wrong. but theres so much more can be improved if YOU want to be immersed in a Tolkien world.

if u want shiny fantasy sword taller than you with with pink shoulder pads the size of a boat.... then i dont think LOTRO is the right game for that.

BUT that being said, Turbine needs to make their playerbase happy and keep playing this game. so they'll do anything to appease the general population (they did added many many more dye color) so im not holding my breath for some "realism" change. afterall, even if they come up with some Aragorn-long-coat, as soon as i wear it and travel to 21st hall, i'll be surrounded by players coming from Cirque du Soleil. immersion out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by mephysto777 View Post
    What we need is a secondary dyable area on outfits to be able to dye those currently-fixed-color areas. And added on top of that, the ability to either dye the entire outfit, or dye primary/secondary areas separately. Red and green on that ranger mask looks ??????, but what if we could dye it how we wanted? Like say crimson, with the face mask part dyed black? How much better would that look?
    as soon as they added that feature, u'll see some folks running around with pink mask and purple face mask. just because they can.

im still against adding more functionality, and more to removing them to restrict people to comply with lore and environment.
    Last edited by Redbeaver; Apr 20 2011 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NamelessZombie View Post
    QFT

The problem is, look at the armor on this site as well. LoTRO armor is ..pretty fugly. Now, yes you can mix/match and make work arounds, but that does not change the fact the armor sometimes just looks ...bad.
    Exactly. LOTRO NPCs for the most part look like they fit the setting. It seems particularly bad for elves. If a cosmetic item has the word "Elvish" or "Elven" in it, there's a 95% chance it's going to look like some sort of crazy day-glo piece that doesn't even dye well.

You can make a good-looking cosmetic outfit, but most of the default armour in LOTRO looks out of place; it belongs in Lord of the Five Rings and not so much Lord of the Rings.

Quote Originally Posted by mephysto777 View Post
    Makeshift Ranger Mask is a perfect example of what's wrong with the outfit system. As another poster pointed out, dye it red and it looks like a christmas hat - that's just not right at all.

I like the fact that you can dye clothing in this game and I think it's an awesome addition that ramps up the customizability factor that separates Joe Guardian from John Guardian, BUT, the system is so limited in it's current form that half the time you do dye clothing, the colors just end up clashing horribly anyway (most often to the point that I just sigh, pass on it, and look for another item that hopefully dyes better).

Personal tastes are different from person to person. That's the biggest reason to have a good dye system in the first place. As for me, I'm a fan of solid colors, especially whites, blacks and grays... a gray and yellow robe, on the other hand (because I can't dye the yellow area)... I'm sorry but that just looks like ????... =/
    Warhammer online has this and it is AWESOME...

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeaver View Post
    dare i say, more Peter Jackson trilogy look. now THAT looks fantastic.
    You had me until there, which is early on. I want to move away from those movies. Seriously.. a fragging ELF surfing down steps ..on a SHIELD.

We can have awesome armor and NOT look like those horrid outfits from WoW nor like extras from those "films".

Quote Originally Posted by Haudroch View Post
    It seems particularly bad for elves. If a cosmetic item has the word "Elvish" or "Elven" in it, there's a 95% chance it's going to look like some sort of crazy day-glo piece that doesn't even dye well.

Thats what you get for being an elf and wearing elf armor :P Always go dwarf.... but even then it doesn't look "dwarfish" imho.

I think its sad when your guardian looks better in a cloth shirt and pants set then it does in its .. you know. ARMOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by NamelessZombie View Post
    Warhammer online has this and it is AWESOME...

You had me until there, which is early on. I want to move away from those movies. Seriously.. a fragging ELF surfing down steps ..on a SHIELD.

We can have awesome armor and NOT look like those horrid outfits from WoW nor like extras from those "films".

Thats what you get for being an elf and wearing elf armor :P Always go dwarf.... but even then it doesn't look "dwarfish" imho.

I think its sad when your guardian looks better in a cloth shirt and pants set then it does in its .. you know. ARMOUR.
    Surfing on a shield aside.. the film trilogy DID have really good looking costumes.

+ rep for the thread starter. You're obviously having a very bad day and frustration must have gotten to you. Hope my +rep put a smile to your face!

-xXx-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast