We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Cooking and Campfires

I am positive this has been posted about a 1,000 times before, but what is the fascination with requiring cooks to use a campfire to make trail foods?

You are in the hall of making in Llanuch, and the superior oven there is a pile of wood burning in a hole in the wall. No racks, nothing. Apparently, that isn't sufficient to boil water to make tea or mushy peas, or honey cakes, but you can knock out 2,000 racks of lamb or loth waybreads.

So, you go out the door and look at the hill side. To the naked eye, there are at least 6 other campfires around, ZERO of which you can use to make trail food. The central one in the town has a bunch of meat hanging around it - I guess it's about not offending the Algraig with your cooking...

It's a pain - sure, I can tote around a bunch of mallorn campfire recipes, but that is inconvenient to make 15 - 30 items as you burn through 2 - 3 campfires.

Any other crafting profession have to use 2 distinct crafting nodes to make their goods? Farmers use the fields to grow crops, and the workbench to make the final product is all I can think of. So, the cooking goods already require 3 crafting nodes to actually make. Why have some require 1 and not another, and then place them geographically inconvenient to each other? It's just torture and a way to make us recall/ride all over the place.

Maybe scholars could be required to be in the restroom for crafting all those lore scrolls from now on...

Re: Cooking and Campfires

Quote Originally Posted by chiun View Post
    Farmers use the fields to grow crops, and the workbench to make the final product is all I can think of.
    Actually I believe farmers have 3 different types of fields required for Farming. Depending on the seed they would like to grow...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000004b257/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Daebilin View Post
    Actually I believe farmers have 3 different types of fields required for Farming. Depending on the seed they would like to grow...
    Yes, for both regular and superior farming we have to alternate between vegetable farmland, pipe-weed farmland, and grain farmland. Then there is the workbench to finish the crops. It takes ages to get anything significant done.

But I don't understand the campfire thing, either. My cook is a crafting alt, so I keep her in Michel Delving - she uses the superior oven there and rides over to Waymeet to get her trail food done. I've taken to noting each campfire I pass by on my main, in case I ever end up needing to use it.

The least they could do is ensure that there is a grocer near the established campfires!
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000039a37/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Gaerien - Elf - Tinker | Laelia - Hobbit - Explorer
    Midhiel - Elf - Rune-Keeper | Elwyna - Woman - Captain[/CENTER]

It's a nice touch, in that it's immersive. It's not completely useful for even that though. I mean, first of all the stuff they'd have us cook over campfires? yeah that kinda goes the way of "do the devs even cook?" thread. And second of all, I dunno about you but my campfires IRL last longer than what 3 minutes? lol

I do think it's kinda silly to need a recipe to make one (unless you're a hunter) but it'd be nice if the better wood ones lasted longer, which last I tested still did not

And yeah I hang out at michel delving, cooking, for the same reason as posted earlier, to be near Waymeet.
    [center][color=teal]Wingwoz (on hunters in LOTRO), "I prefer to think of them more like Elvis or James Dean. Terminally self indulgent but their presence in a party, nay, the very fact that they ever existed, makes the world a cooler place."[/color]
    [color=orange]'[i]Zairente hums, "Little rabbit Poo-kie / running through the Di-res / scooping up the Mon-archs / and BANGING 'em on the head."[/i]'
    [i][url=http://my.lotro.com/user-984907/]The Antics and Ramblings of Family Nenaelin[/url][/i][/color][/center]

It is annoying that is for sure... in the Lothlorien Vineyards crafting area there is a usable campfire AND a superior oven with expert NPC AND superior farm fields just around the corner... but then the nearest vault is in Caras Galadhon way the heck up a tree.. never-the-less it is my location of choice for trail foods... I just make sure I have taken everything I already have in my vault that I will need with me.
    [URL="http://www.council-of-eraidor.com"][/URL]

As a basically new player I have to ask, is cooking worth all of this above trouble?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000002144da/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeDeckrage View Post
    As a basically new player I have to ask, is cooking worth all of this above trouble?
    If its trouble, then no. However it does not take much time commitment to become a Supreme master Cook (if you have access to a farmer) and you can make your own food.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000001111ac/01000/signature.png]Luteman[/charsig]

Unhappy Re: Cooking and Campfires

My frustration with campfires is why can't I cook at a "campsite fire". It seems they are only good for hunters to port clear across middle-earth, Manwe forbid that you use one to make a simple omlette.

Quote Originally Posted by gardianx View Post
    My frustration with campfires is why can't I cook at a "campsite fire". It seems they are only good for hunters to port clear across middle-earth, Manwe forbid that you use one to make a simple omlette.
    I know =/

or the landscape bonfires? or the campfires that aren't for anything at all (just decorative). But it's apparent the game 'sees' these all as separate, different objects that are not part of the class of "cooking" campfires. Which is a shame. I'd rather see more places to cook, than less.

There must be some issue with making them all interactive, though I don't know what, and it must be more than just a simple "cooking yes/no" flag, or they'd probably have already let us cook at them all.
    [center][color=teal]Wingwoz (on hunters in LOTRO), "I prefer to think of them more like Elvis or James Dean. Terminally self indulgent but their presence in a party, nay, the very fact that they ever existed, makes the world a cooler place."[/color]
    [color=orange]'[i]Zairente hums, "Little rabbit Poo-kie / running through the Di-res / scooping up the Mon-archs / and BANGING 'em on the head."[/i]'
    [i][url=http://my.lotro.com/user-984907/]The Antics and Ramblings of Family Nenaelin[/url][/i][/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilost View Post
    But it's apparent the game 'sees' these all as separate, different objects that are not part of the class of "cooking" campfires.
    I do not believe the cooking capability has anything to do with the landscape object. I have a feeling that a landscape designer has to draw in an area hot spot to provide the buff that allows trail foods to be cooked. The landscape object is a simple visual clue to indicate to us. Come here and enjoy the hot spot. Otherwise we would not know it existed. Where the center of the hot spot is.

It is apparently not simple getting this hot spot and working correctly. I've seen all kinds of problems with these crafting facilities.

IMHO - There is a cost associated with creating a real crafting facility. Making sure it works correctly with out any edge cases. This cost is why Turbine does not put crafting facilities like trail food campfire everywhere.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Apr 29 2011 at 01:14 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    IMHO - There is a cost associated with creating a real crafting facility. Making sure it works correctly with out any edge cases. This cost is why Turbine does not put crafting facilities like trail food campfire everywhere.
    You're probably right - both with this and with it being an AoE set on the objects, as that would explain why we occasionally end up with Superior facilities that don't allow Basic functions.

With that said, even if there is a cost, it's going to be marginal relative to the cost of setting up a new crafting area. We've had several "all superior" crafting sites added (21st Hall, Lothlórien, Mirkwood, Enedwaith), and AFAIK, none included a cooking campfire near the oven.

Ahh that sounds reasonable Yula. I assume when you mean a real cost you're referring to dev time etc?

Clearly Turbine has different design specs for different fires. Most seem to be purely cosmetic. In short, they do nothing. Some you can teleport with, some you can cook on. Some remove Biting Cold effects (a popular option in Forochel), some a guardian can use to summon a tinker to repair gear. Soothing warmth is offered by some. I'm sure there are other things I'm not even aware of. Now, without knowing any of the programming involved, I doubt it would be TOO hard to have the permanent campfires scattered around be usable for cooking, but I can see why not all fires we see in game can be used for all effects. Having said that, the specific Cooking skill issues still make little sense to me.

I mean, I have no idea why Turbine felt that making cooks use two seperate facilities was a good idea (and the decission of what gets made with each is rather, well, odd...). But if you're going to make people use two facilities, would it kill you to put them together? I mean, Bree has a camp fire in town, and from Michel Delving its not that much to get to Waymeet. But for Thorin's Hall, the nearest camp fire is almost at Noglond. No wonder dwarves don't cook! I suppose you could make the argument that its like RL cooking (no, I'm not at all making that. Its nothing like RL cooking). BUT, in the same way some things are baked in an oven and others made on a grill/stovetop, some require an oven and others a camp fire. But if you are going to make cooks use two facilities, could you put them together? Please??

Speaking as a hunter as well as a cook, I am also rather "disappointed" with the campfires. Despite Turbines addition of dozens of campfires to the landscape hunters simply do not use them due to the "one campfire bind only" limitation. That is especially annoying when one realizes that at the same time we lose class skill slots to assorted swift-travel locations that quite honestly are used for maybe 5 levels (if that) then abandoned, especially after the instance join panel removed the need for constant back-and-forth travel.

As a hunter I would gladly trade a number of Swift-Travel locations for the ability to travel to multiple campfires, and as a cook I would love to be able to not have to make the run between Michel Delving and Waymeet every time I want to craft some trail food as well as cooked food. With that in mind here is how I would address the problem using as much existing "tech" as possible.

First make all permanent campfires that are not purely cosmetic allow all relevant functions. Summoning tinker/ peddlers, cooking, swift travel, etc. Then add at least one non-cosmetic campfire to each major quest hub and crafting location. Also add to all ovens (regular & superior) a "campfire aura" in the same manner that campfires do now. Finally, add an additional effect to crafted campfires that increases with the tier of the fire; either a longer duration or quicker crafting speed comes to mind first.

Second, reduce the number of Swift Travel locations a hunter receives as "class skills" to the essential ones. The three regional "capitals" (Bree, Michel Delving, Thorins Hall) and major hubs for regions (Esteldin, Rivendell, 21st Hall, Mirkwood, and Hardinion). For the rest use the static campfires mentioned before and allow hunters to travel to any campfire they have personally visited through a drop-down menu (either with unique names for each fire or via using the icons on the world map).

Let's be real, it's as simple as copy and pasting the dang code into the game for a dang fire to work for cooking trail food in the game.

This is a huge inconveience and needs to be fixed. It is so absurd to have to travel across the world to find a place for your character with cooking to cook trail food. Any fire should do, or better yet, let the oven cook the trail food too. It makes no logical sense why an oven can cook some foods while it can't cook trail food.

People with alts for cooking only don't complain because they don't actually use their character for anything else. Those of us who actually play the game with our cooks... it's a royal pain in the butt!

And yes, I do realize this post is ancient, but it just goes to show you how long it takes for Turbine to implement a needed fix I guess. I can't believe more players aren't complaining about this...
    Last edited by BobbyK45238; Jan 19 2013 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyK45238 View Post
    And yes, I do realize this post is ancient, but it just goes to show you how long it takes for Turbine to implement a needed fix I guess. I can't believe more players aren't complaining about this...
    The fix is coming soon by in a different way that you expected. It is my understanding that all ovens will be full service cooking stations. You can do your trail food at any cook oven. No need to leave the crafting area in Michel Delving to do your trail food.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    It is my understanding that all ovens will be full service cooking stations. You can do your trail food at any cook oven. No need to leave the crafting area in Michel Delving to do your trail food.
    That is wonderful news! Thanks for reporting it
    Kibilturg; Watchers of Elendil (Landroval) & Tarciryan Knights (Crickhollow)
    RIP Imladris

Just for completeness:

Update 10 Release Notes: Cooks can now use ovens as well as campfires for trail food.