We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LOTRO Expansion Packs

After a little research I have come to the conclusion that "Free Players", and "Premium Players" have access to all of the quests in Erid Luin, The Shire, and Bree-Land. Most people will find it difficult to move further than level 30-35 without purchasing any extra content.

With a VIP membership, you basically get access to all content in the game and receive 500 Tubrine Points a month.

But then there are these boxed expansion packs that I see at local stores. Shadows of Agmar, Mines of Moria, ... ? I also understand that the Retail Boxes come with a one month VIP pass.

I am a free player, about level 25 now. I am starting to run into more and more areas where I cannot take quests, and it's starting to get annoying. What is the best course I can take to unlock places like Rivendell, Misty Mountains, and the area north of Bree-Land. What are the pro's and con's of buying a VIP membership vs purchasing the retail boxes?

Lastly, I read that expansion packs are being regularly released (Like Rohan). Does that some of the LOTRO map is not even accessible yet? How would I get these expansions when they do come out? Would I have to use turbine points or buy it at my local walmart?

I think that is all for now, thanks!

Re: LOTRO Expansion Packs

Quote Originally Posted by Rengald View Post
    After a little research I have come to the conclusion that "Free Players", and "Premium Players" have access to all of the quests in Erid Luin, The Shire, and Bree-Land. Most people will find it difficult to move further than level 30-35 without purchasing any extra content.
    Lone Lands is also Free, along with the 3 starter areas you mentioned.

With a VIP membership, you basically get access to all content in the game and receive 500 Tubrine Points a month.
    Correct.

But then there are these boxed expansion packs that I see at local stores. Shadows of Agmar, Mines of Moria, ... ? I also understand that the Retail Boxes come with a one month VIP pass.
    Correct again. Purchasing any of these, assuming they're used properly (SoA First, then MoM second, assuming you've NEVER used either of them on your subscription) will grant 1 month's worth of VIP. The MoM EP will also give you the same benefits you can get by buying the MoM EP from inside the Store.

I am a free player, about level 25 now. I am starting to run into more and more areas where I cannot take quests, and it's starting to get annoying. What is the best course I can take to unlock places like Rivendell, Misty Mountains, and the area north of Bree-Land. What are the pro's and con's of buying a VIP membership vs purchasing the retail boxes?
    Debatable. In the simplest sense, paying a monthly (or multi-month sub) will give you temporary but full access to Eriador's quests (not counting the Epic/Story quests which you have access to regardless Up to and including any Epic quests in Moria and beyond). On the other side of the coin, Purchasing the QPs individually will mean you "own them permanently" regardless of whether you're VIP or Not (Note: You Can NOT buy QPs while you are VIP). There's a bit more to this, but this answers the simpler question.

Lastly, I read that expansion packs are being regularly released (Like Rohan). Does that some of the LOTRO map is not even accessible yet? How would I get these expansions when they do come out? Would I have to use turbine points or buy it at my local walmart?
    To the best of my recollection, they've stated that future Paid expansions (not to be confused with unpaid expansions for VIPs) will Not be available outside the Store and we (VIPs, Premiums, etc) will have to use TP to acquire them.
    [COLOR=red][/COLOR]Retired.

I was a free player for a while, and now premium. Here's what I did--purchased a Mines of Moria expansion CD-ROM from Amazon. It was at that time (Nov '10) $10, with shipping making $15, same price as a 1 month sub (I think now you can get it for about $20, not sure). This did a number of things--gave me a one-month subscription and all that entails; the MOM expansion including Warden and Runekeeper classes; and premium status when sub lapses.

I used that month of sub to accomplish a few main things: I had three characters on two servers at 20th level, so immediately got them mounted for 0 turbine points. Created 5 characters each (the number you retain as premium) on two servers, and at least one character on every other server, of varying races and classes. I then logged in on each character to unlock the retained benefits from a sub to premium (bags, traits, currency cap, etc.). I then spent the remainder of the month doing as many deeds as possible on my main 5 characters for the two servers (the characters on other servers are in the instance that I would wish to move to a different server for whatever reason, thus having an unlocked character available) and saving every tp I got. In this time, I got another character to 20, and got them mounted.

When my sub lapsed, I had enough tps to buy three quest packs, including Angmar, and the Mirkwood expansion. Now I'm taking it easy and raising my main and 1 or 2 alts. This method worked pretty well for me; I have all but I think 4 quest packs, though I haven't spent much tp on anything else. I'm pretty confident that I can remain premium indefinitely, as I don't really miss the extra perks you get for subbing, though when things flush out a bit financially, I might sub anyway, as I feel that the game is worth it, and I'd like to support it.

Hope that helps!

Angmar, Mirkwood, and Moria. I know I can buy Moria in the LOTRO store or on Amazon... Well how do I get Angmar and Mirkwood? And what do they unlock? I know Moria unlocks high level quests in the Mines of Moria.

Angmar, Mirkwood, and Moria. I know I can buy Moria in the LOTRO store or on Amazon... Well how do I get Angmar and Mirkwood? And what do they unlock? I know Moria unlocks high level quests in the Mines of Moria.
    If you can find it, Shadow of Angmar really does nothing other than (possibly) give you 1 month of VIP for cheaper than what you can get directly from Turbine.

http://www.inetvideo.com/Items/N02-007999
    For example sells it for $4.

Mines of Moria box will give you the same thing as the MoM EP in the store, Plus 30 days of VIP.
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0301339
    For $10, and I believe $5 of shipping.

Mirkwood can only be purchased from the Store.
    [COLOR=red][/COLOR]Retired.

There are ONLY 2 expansions, Moria and Mirkwood. Shadows of Angmar is the name for the original game.

Physical boxes were made at game launch (for Angmar) and in 2008 for Moria. There were never any boxes for Mirkwood; it was an electronic only purchase.

IF you can find any of the original Siege of Angmar boxes from game launch, the only benefit they provide you NOW is 30 days of VIP time. Plus a fun look at what objects were in the box in 2007.

IF you can find any Moria boxes, they now provide you with the same benefit as the Moria expansion in the store, plus 30 days of VIP time. Plus any fun objects in the box; but do NOT use the game DVD/CDs!

You can only purchase Mirkwood in the Lotro Store with TPs.

Someday there will be no boxes available anywhere, and the only way to get Moria will be via the store with TPs too.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Red face Re: LOTRO Expansion Packs

I would definetly get expansion packs instead of getting vip, is SO much better paying 20 dollers once then paying 10 dollers every week. Then go to the other things you unlocked and gett tp from deeding!
    The thief of thieves, the hunter of hunters, The conner of conners... The always great and charming (not to mention good looking) Michael Black !

PS. This is meant to be said with a british accent; as Michael Black's is.... which is a thing when you don't live in England. If you do you don't have to change your accent to read this... lol

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000001a793/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Blogs:

[url]http://my.lotro.com/user-1195315/2011/04/05/overview-playing-ingame-music-using-the-abc-system/[/url]

[url]http://my.lotro.com/user-1195315/2011/04/03/overview-of-races/[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBlack View Post
    I would definetly get expansion packs instead of getting vip, is SO much better paying 20 dollers once then paying 10 dollers every week. Then go to the other things you unlocked and gett tp from deeding!
    Correction: $10 every month (not week) for VIP.
    New Player? Check out this chart for Quest Pack access for different accounts/purchases. [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?427692-LotRO-Account-Quest-Pack-Access-Chart&p=5778210#post5778210[/URL]

German version here: [URL]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?429055-HdRO-chart[/URL]

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000179b7/signature.png]Kualo[/charsig]

A VIP subscription includes access to all quest packs except for Moria and Mirkwood. It also unlocks bags, trait slots, gold cap, auction house access, riding skill, extra character slots, and probably a few other perks I can't think of off the top of my head. And it provides 500 TP per month as well.

If you play a lot, a VIP subscription is a pretty good deal. Its only drawback is that it involves a recurring charge, so if you only play sporadically and take long breaks from the game, you'll still be paying for the game even when you aren't making use of it. Once PvMP is opened to everyone (which it's going to be in the next update, though for now it's VIP only) I believe everything a VIP player gets will be purchasable individually through the LOTRO Store, which would provide permanent rather than month-by-month access, so it would make a good deal for people who will be taking a long time to go through the game. (But keep in mind that individually unlocking everything a VIP player gets will cost a lot of Turbine Points. It involves quite a bit more than just the quest packs.)

The Shadows of Angmar box now only provides a month of VIP (and then permanent Premium status).

Mines of Moria box gives you the same as the Moria Expansion Pack from the Store, plus a month of VIP, plus permanent Premium status.
    (Note: the Store actually has two different ways of getting Moria: a quest pack and an expansion pack.
    Mines of Moria Quest Pack from LOTRO Store: provides access to quests and deeds in Moria.
    Mines of Moria Expansion Pack from LOTRO Store: as above, plus Warden and Rune-keeper, plus a couple extra character slots, plus Skirmish Trait max increased to 15.
    Mines of Moria retail box: as above, plus a month of VIP access and then permanent Premium status.)

Mirkwood is only available through the LOTRO Store. (Before there was a LOTRO Store, it was only available as a digital purchase directly from Turbine. It never came out in box form.)
    Last edited by Niwashi; Apr 07 2011 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KualaBangoDango View Post
    Correction: $10 every month (not week) for VIP.
    Whoops sorry thanks for the correction wouldn't want to be sending out the wrong message!

[QUOTE=Niwashi;5317232]Once PvMP is opened to everyone (which it's going to be in the next update, though for now it's VIP only)QUOTE]
    Really? I can't wait!

[QUOTE=Niwashi;5317232]((But keep in mind that individually unlocking everything a VIP player gets will cost a lot of Turbine Points. It involves quite a bit more than just the quest packs.)QUOTE]
    Very true! If you do want everything, I personally am wanting to get moria expansion and be premium and get all the premium/moria expansion stuff from the lotro store, which lets you get the basic: rk and warden, trait slots, horse stable full access charactor slots ect. But VIP is awesome! if you wanted everything you could ever think of
    The thief of thieves, the hunter of hunters, The conner of conners... The always great and charming (not to mention good looking) Michael Black !

PS. This is meant to be said with a british accent; as Michael Black's is.... which is a thing when you don't live in England. If you do you don't have to change your accent to read this... lol

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000001a793/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Blogs:

[url]http://my.lotro.com/user-1195315/2011/04/05/overview-playing-ingame-music-using-the-abc-system/[/url]

Hey the quote didn't work!!!!

Blogs:

New player here as well (lvl 43 last log). I plan on staying VIP for awhile (ever?), as $10- a month isnt much to me (.32 cents a day and I play typically everyday when I can) for a killer game and source of entertainment...totally worth it. However, I am still a little unsure of what I will need to purchase to have full access to everything the game has to offer, and Id like to take advantage of what I can when they are on sale (i.e., The Path of the Fellowship Sale goin on now). If I stay VIP, and then purchase MoM Xpac, SoM Quest Pack, and Lothlorien Quest Pack, will that cover it (as I do not believe a VIP has access to any of these areas/perks without purchase)? Im pretty sure thatll cover it, but Im looking for that one definitive YES to put my mind (and wallet) at ease. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorhelm View Post
    However, I am still a little unsure of what I will need to purchase to have full access to everything the game has to offer, and Id like to take advantage of what I can when they are on sale (i.e., The Path of the Fellowship Sale goin on now). If I stay VIP, and then purchase MoM Xpac, SoM Quest Pack, and Lothlorien Quest Pack, will that cover it (as I do not believe a VIP has access to any of these areas/perks without purchase)?
    Everyone can access those areas since the Epic quest series goes through them.

If you want access to the quests and deeds, you need to get:

- Moria quest pack
    - Mirkwood quest pack

As a VIP, I believe you have access to Lothlorien as long as you have Moria.

If you also want the Runekeeper and Warden classes, get the Moria expansion instead of the quest pack.

Even though you are VIP, you will still need to spend TPs to get Shared Storage and other store-only items.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Having read through the whole thread, there ius still two points where I'm a little confused. I'm planning on buying some form of EP or QP or Retail Box - seeing as I've reached the North Downs and finding I have very little playing freedom - and I want to make sure I'm making the right choice, as well as making sure I actually know how to get my hands on one.

Can retail box expansions like Mines Of Moria be purchased in stores, or must they be ordered online through sites like Amazon?
    Also, I want an expansion pack that'll give me access to pretty much all of the game areas, and I'm worried that Mines Of Moria will only allow me access to Moria. Will I have access to places like the North Downs as well?

If I could get an answer, that would be brilliant.

No LOTRO retail boxes have been produced for a few years now - anything still out there is old stock. I'm sure there are bricks-and-mortar stores which still have copies gathering dust in a back room, but it may be difficult to find them.

There is no retail box that will get you permanent access to the regions of Eriador like North Downs. A Shadows of Angmar box will get you 30 days of VIP, during which time you'll have access to those areas. A Mines of Moria box will gain you the same 30 days of VIP along with permanent access to the Moria region.

The only way to gain permanent access to regions like North Downs is to purchase the quest pack with Turbine Points (TP) from the in-game store. The alternative is to subscribe (VIP) and 'rent' access to those regions.

Perhaps you should consider the Rise of Isengard Legendary Edition Pre-order - for $50 that includes enough quest packs to level from about 43 to 75, along with 1000TP which can be used to purchase regions to fill the gaps (Evendim being the most suitable for that purpose).
    Last edited by Ozeagle; Aug 18 2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Added note about RoI
    Confused about the F2P/Premium/VIP account types? [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?377885-What-happens-if...-answers-about-the-account-types]This post may help.[/URL]

Darn. Severely lacking in TP.

I hadn't considered ROI, but it certainly sounds like the best option from what you've told me, and thanks for the advice regarding Evendim! It sounds like the perfect idea

And thank you so much for the fast reply!

Regards.

By giving you Trollshaws, Eregion, Moria, Lothlórien, and Mirkwood in addition to the upcoming Isengard content, the Legendary Edition of the RoI pre-order is a good deal, but there are still areas not covered by it. The quest packs that are not included with it are:

North Downs (levels 18-40) (595 TP)
    Evendim (levels 32-50) (595 TP)
    Misty Mountains (levels 39-50) (695 TP)
    Forochel (levels 39-52) (595 TP)
    Angmar (levels 40-52) (795 TP)
    Enedwaith (level 65) (695 TP)

The 1,000 TP you get with the pre-order plus a few extra from deeds can get a couple of those regions easily enough, but unless you get all six of them, there will still be places where you can't do all the quests. Of course, you don't need to get them all right away. There's more content in the game than it takes to level up, so with your first character or two you can skip some regions while doing all the quests in other regions. Later, when you've accumulated or bought more TP, you can go back and pick up additional quest packs and run a new alt through them. But the more of those packs you can buy by the time your first character reaches them, the more freedom you'll have to pick what you want to do with him.

Which is why I usually suggest doing the 3-month VIP subscription - it gives you time to look around, play wherever you want to play, and see which areas and skirmishes you like - as well as the unlocks you get from a month of VIP. It's also a little less rushed than a month alone if you're new, especially with things like crafting guild access.

But I'd do one month at least if you can possibly afford it. It'll save you thousands of TP on character unlocks that you're going to need.