We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Forum lag.

Forum lag.

I wasn't actually quite sure where to put this post...but I have the feeling that forum monitoring isn't all that much of a priority for them, so whatever.

Anyways, I just happened to realize that my character information, and my kinship information literally hasn't been updated in weeks. Is this because of the patch?

edit* I was just informed by a friend of mine that apparently it's a pretty common thing. Kind of annoying, but I suppose I'll just have to deal with it. Ugh.
    Last edited by Minelavaa; Apr 03 2011 at 07:04 PM.

Re: Forum lag.

Quote Originally Posted by Minelavaa View Post
    Anyways, I just happened to realize that my character information, and my kinship information literally hasn't been updated in weeks. Is this because of the patch?
    If you look at all the web services, you will notice they have a "Beta" logo on. This "Beta" logo means:

1) It works some of the time.
    2) When it works, it works for some of the people
    3) for those people that it works for - it exports some of the data
    4) of that exported data - some of the data is correct.

It has been quite a while since they launched their exports to their web servers.

IMHO - It is not their goal to export consistently all the correct data to the web servers. Turbine made little to no progress toward improving the over quality of the experience. When the exports completely stop, somebody will eventually kick start it so that the system does its partial exports. It would take more resources than Turbine is willing to commit to get it to work properly.

As always this is my personal opinion, Turbine seems to polish aspects of their products for a while. They reach a point where they lose focus and concentration. They find something new to chip, smooth and polish for a while.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Apr 03 2011 at 07:27 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

You would almost think, that since they used the term 'Beta', that a final, completed version might be in the process of developing. Would I be correct in assuming that, that is not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Minelavaa View Post
    You would almost think, that since they used the term 'Beta', that a final, completed version might be in the process of developing. Would I be correct in assuming that, that is not the case?
    Gmail, made by a rather well-off and proficient company, left beta status after 5 years...so a lack of noticeable changes doesn't mean that change isn't taking place.

When it comes to something that has to communicate with several other systems, especially ones that have such a large impact on quality of experience, it's a matter of finding the balance while trying to keep the productivity of the program from dropping.

In the case of MyLOTRO, the factor of it having to draw data from a character and then parse it to show on a page without adversely impacting the servers that need the higher priority (see: game servers) is not a small one. Especially when you have to determine how man queues must be done and how often/apart they need to be.
    Give a guy a pound of gold...he'll complain about how heavy it is.
    Enmity of Forum Trolls: 106/5000 Of the Egaads clan

maybe the forum exports was giving us that big lag spikes in the past, so they "fixed the lag" but well, we have no forum updates.

that could be a reasonable answer to not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCntry View Post
    Gmail, made by a rather well-off and proficient company, left beta status after 5 years...so a lack of noticeable changes doesn't mean that change isn't taking place.

When it comes to something that has to communicate with several other systems, especially ones that have such a large impact on quality of experience, it's a matter of finding the balance while trying to keep the productivity of the program from dropping.

In the case of MyLOTRO, the factor of it having to draw data from a character and then parse it to show on a page without adversely impacting the servers that need the higher priority (see: game servers) is not a small one. Especially when you have to determine how man queues must be done and how often/apart they need to be.
    But in this case, Gmail isn't exactly a good example of a similar situation with the LOTRO Forums. You see, Gmail isn't your only choice for online email services, so it staying in beta so long wasn't a problem. But when it comes to official forums for LOTRO, this is all we have. If Turbine had had a stable, working forum system online concurrent with this beta forum/community site, then there would be no reason to complain about the beta, as we'd have something else to use. The only option to avoid using this beta Community Site (including the forums) is to go to a third-party gaming website, which doesn't really help for staying in contact with Turbine community managers and developers.

When Blizzard switched over their community site and forums to a new system last year, they held an actual beta test, running both the old (stable) version alongside the new (beta) offering, until all the bugs were worked out. At that point they switched over to the new site, removed the old one (although i think they allowed some read-only access to the old forums for a while), and everything worked out smoothly.

Knowing this, why did Turbine force this beta product on us, allowing us no other choice but to use this buggy site if we wanted to remain part of the community we'd grown to love? There is no excuse for how this was conducted, the new beta community site and forums could have been placed within a separate database and subdomain, leaving the old site available for continued use. Or if the old community site absolutely could not remain while testing this beta site and transitioning to it, Turbine should have launched a separate forum with no plugins for us to use, if we did not want to be forced to use this beta to remain part of the community.

Just my $0.02 on that topic. Sorry to rant, I'm not feeling well today and more than a little annoyed.

To be honest, I think your ranting is vindicated. I'm surprised to see such little maintenance on their official forums. This is quality that I would expect from one of the aforementioned 3rd party sites, and not a paid game production company. Hell, I've seen 3rd party sites that show a higher competency in maintaining a site. If I had any other choice whatsoever, then I would take it. They either need to hire more employees, or sort out their seriously skewed priorities.