We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

To Skirm OR not to Skirm

OK so I just turned 65 today, and I've only been playing for a few months. AND, I probably know less then I should about everything. That said...I still have something to say, and maybe it will help.

Here is what I think I've learned about Skirmishing, solo, Duo or Fellowship.

1. Start as soon as you can.
    YES- you will advance rapidly and be able to equip yourself with nice armor and weapons, then as you progress you will also note that with all the skirming that you are honing your tactical skills and methods. You are also treated to being able to battle interesting and difficult mobs.

2. NO- Outside of the skirmish you will find the various quests and deeds less difficult, and less difficult is BORING. You will find that you have left epic story quests behind, and you can't move forward at later levels with out going back and completing them. Not to worry, you can hide your deficiency behind "helping" lowbies.

Other thoughts: I prefer duo, over solo or fellowship, I like leadereship to be defined clearly, and either I am the boss or my partner is. I would like a better understanding of how to earn marks (do NPC's that die cost? I bet they do).

I went with the first choice at around level 26-27, and began a march to 65 that took about 1-2 days for each level (depending on time to play).

I am glad that I am at 65 now, I get to go on all sorts of raids with my fellow kin, but I think for my alts, I will be taking my time, and getting to know the world that the dev's have created.

Thanks, I'm having a great time. So, if you haven't skirm'd or you like it as much as I do, look me up weekends early (5am-9am est).

Timate, Capt., Shadows of Eriador
    Last edited by MyArkenstone; Mar 28 2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: corrections, additions

Re: To Skirm OR not to Skirm

What I use the skirmishes for is to get me through the slumps. You know that feeling when you just want to get out of an area, because you've been there forever? Or you're so close to leveling you need a little boost.

Skirmishes get boring like everything else when we repeat, repeat, repeat; so I go in cycles. Skirmishes for a while...then quests for a while.

Skirmishes also helped me get high enough to back and catch up on epics that I wasn't able to do before (died too much). I don't always have time to group due to my schedule, and I love the lore going through the epics. Now I can go back to lower level epics and follow the storyline without as much difficulty, since I leveled up past them.

Doing skirmishes all the time, though, tends to burn me out.

In regards to your alts, it sounds like what I'm planning. My alts focus more on the lore and the quests and less on skirmishes. I play my alts at a slower pace and just relax and enjoy all of the little things in the game. The devs made such a rich detailed world in the game. it's amazing. I'll do some skirmishes to help with getting rep points, but I'm going to focus mainly on quests and crafting.
    Last edited by Needle; Mar 28 2011 at 10:03 AM.

I like skirmishes. Game=fun.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

If you're new to skirmishes (and really, I would have started a long time before level 65, if I hadn't already been capped when they hit the game servers...) you might find the link "Skirmish Trainer" under my name at the top of this post helpful.
    [CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=yellowgreen][I][B][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000000962/01001/signature.png]Arbalister[/charsig][/B][/I][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=yellowgreen][I][B][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/gladden/arbalister/"]My LOTRO[/URL] and [URL="http://www.arbalister.com"]Arbalister.com[/URL][/B][/I][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Rise_of_Isengard_FAQ_by_Seedley"]Rise of Isengard Lorebook FAQ[/URL].[/CENTER]

somewhere between this world and the next...

Skirmish from levels 20 to 40. The XP rewards are strong. The skirms are easy. There is a bump in the road at 40... the difficulty goes up suddenly (I believe this issue goes way back to the advent of skirms when they discovered 30 to 40 was too difficult - they didn't have level 20 skirms back then, by the way.)

The benefits of skirms, as written by the OP, is that you can get alot of your skill deeds done. You can also earn a very steady flow of gold. You should have no trouble owning about 20 gold when you hit 50.

Skirms also train you to use your 'OH ????!' skills... you occasionally get an unlucky Encounter PLUS Lieutenant and mobs and are forced into a panic. These will prepare you, however slightly, for endgame instances where it pays to be able to react quickly to changing circumstances.

If you do not have kinmates crafting for you, some of the skirm barter armor/jewelry is acceptably better than a lot of the quest rewards. Around level 40, however, you probably will not need to use your Skirmish Marks for these items, since you should be grabbing the Fem set in Angmar. At 45 you can enter the Gates of Moria, via Volume 2, and earn some excellent upgrades that will FAR outweigh any of your other stuff.

At 40, slow down on skirmishing, but do a few here and there for fun... This helps ALOT because once you get your Legendary Weapons you can barter Skirmish Marks for Relics. You can plop some tier 4/5/6 relics in your LI's and enjoy a huge advantage while questing.

At 45, you have the option to use Skirmish Marks to purchase your Level 45 Class Quest items. If you are unfortunate enough to not be able to get a kin group for Carn Dum and Urugarth, you will need to trade you SM's for some pretty valuable items. A hunter, for instance, needs 2600 SM's for EACH of the Slime of Helchgam AND the Rune of Winged Dominance. The items from the previous tier of your Class Quests can also be purchased... however, that is not recommended since most of them are quite easy to grind and/or are available from the Auction House.

At 65, you will likely be skirmishing again... you earn much more SM's per run and these are used to purchase Empowerment Scrolls, and also the parter for Symbols of Celebrimbor (to craft Second Age 65's) or for certain armor sets such as the Helegrod armor.

That should give you a pretty good idea about the importance of skirmishing. Have fun!
    Last edited by spiritintelligencia; Mar 28 2011 at 11:13 AM.
    Threndinir - Retired Old Dwarf

Skirmishes are a way to level pretty fast between 20 and 40.

Personally I see that as a downside as the content between 20 and 40 is just great with Great Barrow instances, LoneLands and Garth Argawen and the revamped Evendim, the latter giving you a great armor set specialized for your class now which will likely even make the Fem set not needed.

Skirmishing is a great way to get out of slumps, to level some alts a bit faster or to get some nice cosmetic items rather unique to skirmishing or gear.

In later levels when Skirmish Marks will be a very important barter currency you will also want your soldier to be of some decent level so leveling your soldier on the way by doing a few skirmishes here and there eliminates the need of leveling up your soldier later when you need to.

Skirmishes are great but I find the quest content to be greater (in terms of fun for me). So yeah it is additional choice for me. More choice is good. I like choice.

I started doing Skirmishes since level 20 when it was first available. Initially I did them all once daily to get the xp. It was quick and fast. As I get higher in level I only do the one I like once a day, which currently is just Denfence of the Prancing Pony and Ford of Bruinen. I don't really do them for xp anymore. I just do it for the SM to keep my soldier level up. Plus it's kinda fun to see where you stack up on the leaderboard. It might seem silly, but I do take pride in having a high SM/hr for my class and level, at least among those who done Skirmishes frequently since low level.

Skirmishes are simply fun to do when you don't feel like questing, hit a slump or just have a few minutes. You get a bit accomplished for little relative effort. Skirmish marks have a variety of useful rewards. Skirmish deeds are worth doing for a long term goal, if you get started early, I've found, you usually finish the solo ones about 30 to 35.

It's just an alternative and alike anything else if you over do it, you can burn out. Some people can focus solely on a single thing, be it completing virtue deeds, epic quests, quests in particular areas, or skirmishes. Most of us, I think, prefer to have a variety. Skirmishes are part of that variety and worth doing just for that if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by MyArkenstone View Post
    OK so I just turned 65 today, and I've only been playing for a few months. AND, I probably know less then I should about everything. That said...I still have something to say, and maybe it will help.

Here is what I think I've learned about Skirmishing, solo, Duo or Fellowship.

1. Start as soon as you can.
    YES- you will advance rapidly and be able to equip yourself with nice armor and weapons, then as you progress you will also note that with all the skirming that you are honing your tactical skills and methods. You are also treated to being able to battle interesting and difficult mobs.
    I had several level-capped characters when skirmishes were put in. I don't actually like skirmishes, but they are a means to an end because there are skirmish-based chapters in some later Epic Books, so having an up-to-level skirmish soldier is a decided benefit if you plan to do all of the Epic quest line.

It is FAR more painful to bring up a skirmish soldier from scratch for a level capped character than it is to do so starting when you can just get skirmishes (I've done both).

2. NO- Outside of the skirmish you will find the various quests and deeds less difficult, and less difficult is BORING. You will find that you have left epic story quests behind, and you can't move forward at later levels with out going back and completing them. Not to worry, you can hide your deficiency behind "helping" lowbies.
    That is very much a matter of opinion. "Less difficult is boring" is a personal issue, not a universal sentiment.

Other thoughts: I prefer duo, over solo or fellowship, I like leadereship to be defined clearly, and either I am the boss or my partner is. I would like a better understanding of how to earn marks (do NPC's that die cost? I bet they do).
    I prefer (to the extent I have a preference--see above) solo. The problem with duo is that it is slightly cut down small group, rather than being a somewhat tougher solo. There is a very sharp jump in difficulty from solo to duo that can be a real shock if you're not expecting it. On top of that, the jump is uneven and depends on skirmish. Tuckburough, for instance, in addition to having tough lieutenants and boss adds two extra lieutenants to the final fight. Ford of Bruinen, on the other hand, does not add any additional mobs to the final fight.

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

From where I sit, skirmishes are NOT fun, because fighting isn't fun. Fighting is something I do when I have to in order to get where I'm going, which is usually an Epic Book chapter. I realize I'm in the minority here.

The one good thing I can say for skirmishes is that once you've done a given one a few times, you know the pattern and there are no surprises. This is probably also a minority opinion, if the majority consists of those who want **CHALLENGES!**

That said ... if your character is in the high levels already, start as low as you can and put every Skirmish Mark you can harvest into your soldier's level. Don't accumulate those Marks with fancy names; turn 'em in to the exchanger and buff your soldier. When s/he is at your level or nearly, then start training skills and things. If, on the other hand, you're working with a low-level alt, then you can raise your soldier's level and skills evenly, inching your way upward.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

I love Skirmishes, both while leveling and at end-game. Being that I mostly play solo or duo with my wife, I see Skirmishes as being the closest thing we'll have to an endgame content, aside from the Epic books, of course. We certainly won't be raiding, that's not our style of play.

But my wife, she's avoiding doing skirmishes, unless I'm there to run duo with her. She's not a fan of doing them solo at all, and since our playtime together is limited, we don't tend to duo skirmishes much right now. So her soldier is being left in the dust development-wise, while mine is actually 7 levels higher than the character I run with my wife. Our characters are currently 33rd level, my soldier is equivalent to 40th level across the board (all skills, abilities and whatnot upgraded), and her's hasn't had any real attention since she ran the tutorial skirmishes.

My point being, to each their own, I guess.

Skirms are a necessary evil...they are the most efficient way to obtain many items (e.g. Scrolls of Empowerment). I wish it wasnt so.

The only one I actually enjoy is BDS since its the only one with some challenge. Otherwise they are boring facerolls.

I am at the point where i am trying to do my class quests but the place where they are at is too hard to even enter and i'm 8 lvls higher than the quest. so i am grinding skirmishes(and grinding is the key word). just did my 2nd defense of the prancing pony and got 80 skimish points total for the 30 min grind i just went through. in my opinion you will have better luck buying the things you need off the AH than by doing the skirmish grind.