We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Thief Among Us

Thief Among Us

It is unfortunate, that someone among us feels the need to steal. As the server slows down, many of the kins are not as active as they used to be and do not visit the kin houses on a regular basis. That was the case with Riders of Helm's Deep when someone decide to alleviate us of all non-bound items. Granted, the kin house permissions should have been tighter, but Firahn likes to believe the best out of people. I've smacked him upside the head and that has been corrected. That still leaves us with a bottom dwelling troll with sticky fingers.

Your character is defined by what you do when no one is looking.
    [COLOR=#008080][SIZE=3][B][FONT=book antiqua]Saeri[/FONT][/B]
    [FONT=book antiqua][B]Heir of Seawing
    Riders of Helm's Deep[/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I know that feeling.. this happened awhile back with Massive Dynamics when someone decided to take all of the crafting items meant to help people master the lower level tiers for all professions. The fact that someone made the conscious decision to steal from a whole kin is just beyond me.
    Fellowship Hadacar: I now have a mental image of a little pea with a NE Patriot's logo painted on it.
    From Dwarrowdelf to Arkenstone | Asylum | No-QQ

It happened to my kinship as well on Riddermark some time ago.

You have those people on the server, and you live and learn. What we decided to do is to leave the kinship chest open for everyone EXCEPT recruits, and all new members are recruit for a week. There are always exceptions, such as good friends we know, etc, but if we don't know someone they will be recruit for a week to get to know them.

Second, we no longer keep valuables in the chests. We store easy to get crafting items such as hides, cosmetics, perhaps some level 100 dropped items that are very common, 3d age weapons for deconstructing, that kind of stuff. The more valuable things are kept with officers, either in their own houses (and officers have access to eachother's chests in some cases) or on an alt "mule".

Another thing I have considered is an "officer's house". This would be just a free account, a character leveled to 15, given money to buy a deluxe house, and enough to buy storage till it hits the mithril coin level, and buy that house in the same neighborhood as the kinship house, as close as possible. Then, the owner of said house will give access to every officer possible. Officers can now store valuables in that house, while still leaving the actual kinship house a free-for-all open chest.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on Turbine's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

The chests were inaccessible. They just took everything off the walls, floor (including paint and texture) and yard, as well as the door mat...If it weren't for SW's bound stuff, you could have put a For Sale sign out front!

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    There was an old lad, Bobblebody, that did exactly this on the following servers: Dwarrow, Riddermark, Brandywine.

Bobblebody Part Deux maybe?
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

I bet I know who did it!!

Quote Originally Posted by GSD65 View Post
    The chests were inaccessible. They just took everything off the walls, floor (including paint and texture) and yard, as well as the door mat...If it weren't for SW's bound stuff, you could have put a For Sale sign out front!

We had banned Bobble after he stole from Travis, but you just never know.

Klaggster...pff!

I think these things are unavoidable. You can use a week to try to get to know people, but we all know this is not really enough. We take 2 weeks in BS, but even that is not enough. There are people we would like to promote immediately, but everyone needs to wait the 2 weeks.

We have a KH + 6 houses we use for kin storage, so if a thief gets in that will be interesting. But the good news is 99% of the people are very nice, they contribute and they don't really take anything. In fact, I'm really bothered that people don't take anything like it's not theirs to take.

In all honesty, if everything gets stolen one day, I won't mind. A kin is not measured by its wealth in hoarded items. It has nothing to do with the value of a kin.

Stolen housing decoration is ouchie, tho. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    There was an old lad, Bobblebody, that did exactly this on the following servers: Dwarrow, Riddermark, Brandywine.

Bobblebody Part Deux maybe?
    No ####? I remember him. Had him on my friends list too.

It's really a shame when we learn someone we know isn't who we think he is.