We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thumbs down Rethink the Moria mounts situation

Does the squeaky wheel get the grease? Apparently did in the case of the map getting turned into a skill just to free up one slot in inventory. No doubt this has been posted before, but it can't be posted enough. Not until this is finally straightened out, but the current situation is ridiculous.

Anybody who paid 5 gold for reputation mount ought to be able to ride it in Moria. Nowhere in the books does it say it's impossible for horses and ponies to traverse the Mines (just Bill because his former master was white trash). And after all the trouble of getting one and shelling out the cash, still no dice. You have to have a goat. A goat?? I mean, I know some of the females think the goats are cute, but really. These goats are really better suited for WoW.

Rep mounts not good enough? Then lower the price already. And what about the people who actually bought the MoM boxed set. Still not good enough? No break there? And no break for subscribers either, huh? But do the Ale association runs and get a goat that can handle it. Because it's a goat. Or because giving people the wrong virtual beer is a more worthwhile goal than reputation or giving Turbine actual money.

This makes no sense, as it stands.

Re: Rethink the Moria mounts situation

Quote Originally Posted by Vysehrad View Post
    Nowhere in the books does it say it's impossible for horses and ponies to traverse the Mines
    You might want to re-read the books again.

Anybody who paid 5 gold for reputation mount ought to be able to ride it in Moria.
    You can... if you buy the Thorin's Hall reputation goat

The impression I got about horses going into Moria wasn't that it was impossible for them to navigate, but that they'd make a bunch of noise and the 10,000 orcs that live there would dogpile you and squish you. We should have been on foot for the entirety of Moria, but MMOs "have to have" mounts and swift travel nodes, so we got goats. Better than cave claws, I suppose...
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=dimgray]::: [SIZE=3][URL="http://waywatchersofcardolan.guildportal.com"][COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=4]T[/SIZE]he [SIZE=4]W[/SIZE]aywatchers of [SIZE=4]C[/SIZE]ardolan[/COLOR][/URL] [SIZE=2]:[/SIZE] [URL="http://palantiri.guildportal.com"][COLOR=LightBlue][SIZE=4]T[/SIZE]he [SIZE=4]P[/SIZE]alantiri[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE] :::[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Garamond][COLOR=DimGray][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/balgr/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Balgr Snowmantle[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=Silver]: Curmudgeon[/COLOR] :[SIZE=4][COLOR=#303030].[/COLOR][/SIZE][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/saladoc/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Saladoc Willowleaf[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=Silver]: Stick-in-the-mud[/COLOR]
    [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/ciruth/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Ciruth of Gondor[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=Silver]: Itinerant Scholar[/COLOR] : [COLOR=LemonChiffon][URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/halvr/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Halvr[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/landroval/khasi/"][COLOR=LemonChiffon]Khasi Flamebrow[/COLOR][/URL], and [COLOR=LemonChiffon]Kholi[/COLOR][COLOR=Silver]: At your service![/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray][URL="http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/MrPinstripes/FFXI%20Stuff/AustrevenMH21409.jpg"][COLOR=dimgray]Austreven[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=3][COLOR=#303030].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]of Cobalt (Bismarck)[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

Lets start with Horses don't have exceptional spatial awareness in dark areas. Believe it or not, they also have fairly horrible balance on terrain that would be found in a cave. They are also pretty easily spooked, remember, we're not riding trained horses for fighting. Going into a dark place, with knowing loose footing, surrounded by a lot of hostile entities is looking to create some serious riding issues on a horse.
    Give a guy a pound of gold...he'll complain about how heavy it is.
    Enmity of Forum Trolls: 106/5000 Of the Egaads clan

First, horses are great on really any terrain and they can also see fairly well in the dark... Horses really don't get that spooked either. I have 3.
    Second, I read the books and if were going on realistic according to the books, then I don't remember anyone ever riding a goat anywhere. Horses should be allowed in MoM. Especially rep mounts. That is my opinion.
    I agree to what the host of this thread said.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001b671a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Paestylandir View Post
    First, horses are great on really any terrain and they can also see fairly well in the dark... Horses really don't get that spooked either. I have 3.
    Second, I read the books and if were going on realistic according to the books, then I don't remember anyone ever riding a goat anywhere. Horses should be allowed in MoM. Especially rep mounts. That is my opinion.
    I agree to what the host of this thread said.
    I've ridden horses for almost 25 years...horses are very easily spooked unless they are trained and/or raised in environments that allow them to gradually get used to such events.

They also aren't the greatest in environments of low-light or true darkness in terms of being able to navigate effectively. See, here's the thing...horses will walk in a straight line, and in a lot of cases, right off the edge of a cliff unless they are directed elsewhere by some external force.

As for lack of goats in the books, well yea, it's a concession made for game mechanics, one that sticks to the spirit of the Lore. However, the same book also is pretty adamant about 'mines not being a place for a pony.' Not Bill specifically, but in general.

I dont want to turn this into a conversation about horse behavior or logistics because my horses are apparently very different from yours...
    Lotro is apparently not following just the book but also the movies. In the movies there is a lot of light in moria it's self.
    I just think that since one pays 5 gold for a horse the thing should be able to fly.....
    Also I don't intend to argue with you since you have been riding for 25 while I've only been riding for 10...
    Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCntry View Post
    I've ridden horses for almost 25 years...horses are very easily spooked unless they are trained and/or raised in environments that allow them to gradually get used to such events.

They also aren't the greatest in environments of low-light or true darkness in terms of being able to navigate effectively. See, here's the thing...horses will walk in a straight line, and in a lot of cases, right off the edge of a cliff unless they are directed elsewhere by some external force.

As for lack of goats in the books, well yea, it's a concession made for game mechanics, one that sticks to the spirit of the Lore. However, the same book also is pretty adamant about 'mines not being a place for a pony.' Not Bill specifically, but in general.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001b671a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Paestylandir View Post
    I dont want to turn this into a conversation about horse behavior or logistics because my horses are apparently very different from yours...
    Lotro is apparently not following just the book but also the movies. In the movies there is a lot of light in moria it's self.
    I just think that since one pays 5 gold for a horse the thing should be able to fly.....
    Also I don't intend to argue with you since you have been riding for 25 while I've only been riding for 10...
    Cheers
    Uh...Moria in-game isn't all that bright...hell I remember during beta and first release people complaining about the brightness, so Turbine added an ambient light slider.

Sure there are parts that are fairly bright, but again, these areas weren't covered in the books (nor was the expedition from the Dwarves, but again, game concession), however not one bit of the game was derived from the movies.

The book plainly state that the Mines are no place for a pony...that, to me, tells me that at least in Middle-earth, horses/ponies are not suitable for traveling through the mines.

Anybody who paid 5 gold for reputation mount ought to be able to ride it in Moria.
    /not signed based upon this fallacious premise followed by the random acts of speculation around the lore relevancy and backed-into subscription/purchase sense of entitlement.

Basically it seems the OP doesn't like goats and doesn't want to buy a rep goat and doesn't like goats.

I like the goats. Find it differentiates Moria with a bit of whimsy and if you want to ride a horse, or cave claw for that matter, fine but not based upon the premise offered by the OP.

The only problem with the goats is that you either need Thorin's Hall rep maxed or Iron Garrison rep to even buy the cheap one. And that's when you notice them buried at the bottom of the page, because if you're brand new to Moria (as I was) nobody even tells you how to get a mount that works there. You'd think some enterprising Dwarf would be sitting at the front door with a goat farm, just waiting for stupid adventurers to come and buy his goats.

"They may not be the fastest, but it beats walking, friends!"

It's not hard to get a rep goat. If a super casual player like me can do it anyone can.

/unsigned.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

They should give the store goat more moral. I have the store goat on my toons that have been or are in moria. It dies to quickly. I am thinking about naming it uselesspieceofjunk. I don't have enough gold to buy a rep mount.
    Fordakidz(sapience) says, 'THIS IS MY ROCK! THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE!

Does the squeaky wheel get the grease? Apparently did in the case of the map getting turned into a skill just to free up one slot in inventory. No doubt this has been posted before, but it can't be posted enough. Not until this is finally straightened out, but the current situation is ridiculous.

Anybody who paid 5 gold for reputation mount ought to be able to ride it in Moria. Nowhere in the books does it say it's impossible for horses and ponies to traverse the Mines (just Bill because his former master was white trash). And after all the trouble of getting one and shelling out the cash, still no dice. You have to have a goat. A goat?? I mean, I know some of the females think the goats are cute, but really. These goats are really better suited for WoW.

Rep mounts not good enough? Then lower the price already. And what about the people who actually bought the MoM boxed set. Still not good enough? No break there? And no break for subscribers either, huh? But do the Ale association runs and get a goat that can handle it. Because it's a goat. Or because giving people the wrong virtual beer is a more worthwhile goal than reputation or giving Turbine actual money.

This makes no sense, as it stands.
    You're invoking the "this makes no sense" argument in a game in which I can grow an apple tree from seed to fruit bearing tree in minutes (game time)? Lots of things in this game make no sense. What does make sense is that goats pretty much have better footing than horses; at least that's what I gathered from NatGeo. And the footing is obviously bad in Moria. (Well, I don't think it's that bad myself.)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000000baec5/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    I know, I said I quit, so why am I posting? 'Cause there ain't no Blogorette patch.

1. read the books
    2. even watch the first movie if you dont want to read.
    3. get kindred with thorins, and get a goat from there.

Thorin's Hall rep or Ale Association rep isn't all that hard to manage. Stop sniveling and get a goat.

A goat should be sold for a reasonable price in the store (I believe there is one available there.) A VIP ought to have reasonable access to a goat that does not include a long rep grind, especially if they already have the outdoors mount.

On what basis do I make that comment? The fact that the price of the outdoor mounts was substantially lowered and the access for outdoor mounts begins at level 20 now for VIPs. That either was done due to player dissatisfaction or due to decision making to improve competitive standing against similar MMORPGs. Regardless, the reason that led to the outdoor changes also support an easier approach to obtaining an indoor goat.

That said: they're ugly as sin and I hate riding on mine. But I got it for free because I'm an excellent customer. So I don't actually have a skin in this issue, but I'm sensitive to changes that make LOTRO--for the long-haul through the end of the story--more attractive to true casual players who are here to play with friends one night a week or just play through the epic story. Grinds aren't good.

`But in any case we cannot take the poor beast into the Mines,' said Gandalf. `The road under the mountains is a dark road, and there are places narrow and steep which he cannot tread, even if we can.'
    Goats are notoriously sure-footed, and are more plausible (if ugly). It really isn't that hard to get one, and even if you don't... I'm not sure they're "worth it" anyway. Moria isn't so huge that they make a major difference in travel times, and because of the spawn densities, you're going to get knocked off a lot.

I have a goat, but I don't actually use it all that much. I do use the stable system a fair amount though (although I Alt-TAB away during the ride because it's rather unpleasant to watch). Those goats can get you from one place to another without any battles along the way, which makes it totally worth the silver.

Khafar

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    `But in any case we cannot take the poor beast into the Mines,' said Gandalf. `The road under the mountains is a dark road, and there are places narrow and steep which he cannot tread, even if we can.'
    Goats are notoriously sure-footed, and are more plausible (if ugly). It really isn't that hard to get one, and even if you don't... I'm not sure they're "worth it" anyway. Moria isn't so huge that they make a major difference in travel times, and because of the spawn densities, you're going to get knocked off a lot.

I have a goat, but I don't actually use it all that much. I do use the stable system a fair amount though (although I Alt-TAB away during the ride because it's rather unpleasant to watch). Those goats can get you from one place to another without any battles along the way, which makes it totally worth the silver.

Khafar
    This. Mounts in Moria are almost irrelevant. If it's a long run the stables are better, and if you need to go on foot odds are good you will need to fight your way there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    It's not hard to get a rep goat. If a super casual player like me can do it anyone can.

/unsigned.
    Yes, an hour in sarnur is all it takes to get kindred with TH and if you don't have the cash spend another 30mins-1h in there or (something even easier) 1 fest to get kindred with AA. Stop whining and start grinding.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000009cc44/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]