We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Twitter cant handle the load from your contests Mar 17

Please, if you are going to be running contests, please use the Lottery system.

I received this error message from twitter: "Hi, we're currently working on improving Twitter and can't process your message at this time. Use m.twitter.com or try again later."

Please use the lottery system so everyone can participate. Since twitter hasn't processed any of my messages to you, I got left out of the contest. Thank you.
    Last edited by Shardis; Mar 17 2011 at 05:32 PM.

Re: Twitter cant handle the load from your contests Mar 17

Twitter can't handle the load from a Turbine contest? LOL? You are aware that they process 140 million tweets per day, right?

Sounds like they just had a maintenance window, which Turbine has no control over.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20200000013d3e9/signature.png]Derrial[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

While Twitter could certainly handle the load, the OP has a point about Turbine handling their contests on Twitter so often. they are in essence shifting the load for those contests off of their service onto Twitter, which not everyone follows. I would guess this would be to reduce load on the community site, which has buckled in the past under heavy load (especially from contests or masses drawn to the forums at once).

I can see why Turbine does have contests on Twitter, but I also see the OP's point that this may end up leaving some players with a sour taste in their mouth, when Twitter fails them. Same goes for Turbine contests on FB, or any other third-party website/service.

Then again, nothing is perfect, and not making it into a contest isn't the end of the world.

I would be more inclined to think that it's part of a social networking strategy. Lots of companies are doing this now, not to offload things onto other companies, but because it's in style to do this lately.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20200000013d3e9/signature.png]Derrial[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Quote Originally Posted by BellusDuFenna View Post
    While Twitter could certainly handle the load, the OP has a point about Turbine handling their contests on Twitter so often. they are in essence shifting the load for those contests off of their service onto Twitter, which not everyone follows. I would guess this would be to reduce load on the community site, which has buckled in the past under heavy load (especially from contests or masses drawn to the forums at once).

I can see why Turbine does have contests on Twitter, but I also see the OP's point that this may end up leaving some players with a sour taste in their mouth, when Twitter fails them. Same goes for Turbine contests on FB, or any other third-party website/service.

Then again, nothing is perfect, and not making it into a contest isn't the end of the world.

Technology has limitations. It's a fact of life. We have players who cannot use the lotteries at all for a variety of technical reasons. It's a very small number, but they exists. Using the prevailing logic, lotteries are inherently unfair as a result.

Some people may not be able to use any given technology at any given moment. Again for a variety of reasons. If we must be 'fair' at all times and only use those technologies that never have issues and never fail, then the only way to be 'fair' is to never do anything.

It's a bit disingenuous to say people are excluded when we use social media. It's free. No one is excluded unless they wish to be by their own choice. Opting out is not being forced out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Technology has limitations. It's a fact of life. We have players who cannot use the lotteries at all for a variety of technical reasons. It's a very small number, but they exists. Using the prevailing logic, lotteries are inherently unfair as a result.

Some people may not be able to use any given technology at any given moment. Again for a variety of reasons. If we must be 'fair' at all times and only use those technologies that never have issues and never fail, then the only way to be 'fair' is to never do anything.

It's a bit disingenuous to say people are excluded when we use social media. It's free. No one is excluded unless they wish to be by their own choice. Opting out is not being forced out.
    True enough, most of the people not able to take part in Twitter contests are the ones who choose not to use Twitter. Same goes for Facebook. But the issue at hand was more of what the OP experienced, where he felt deprived of a chance at involvement in a Twitter contest because Twitter failed.

I can't speak for the OP, but it seems to me he's asking for concurrent contests. If one is done on Twitter, it should also be done on the LOTRO forums, or perhaps run a Lottery here instead. That way if there is a problem with the social media site being used for a contest, at least people can take part in whatever is being run here.

Personally, I don't care either way. I was just saying the OP had a point.