We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Why all the good stuff on Twitter?

Twitter is getting all the good lotteries for PAX...like unique horses and symbols...while this supposedly offical website for LOTRO is getting useless booze and fireworks so I decided to give in and go to Twitter and signed up ok, but no idea how to enter...maybe because I don't have any portable stuff like a cell phone.

...and to be honest, I resent yet another something mainly for your buddies that seem to do nothing but lotro all day. The odds there must be really nice since you seem to have to monitor it continually.

Would you please go back to using the website...you know everyone has access to it. If you want more lotteries, go to daily ones ON THIS WEBSITE.

Please.

You are soooo good-looking.

besides, it seems to be set up for giggling junior high girls
    REAL men don't twitter..we grunt.

Twitter...To chatter or giggle in an over-excited or nervous way. To chirp. To use small, high voice.
    Last edited by anwar; Mar 14 2011 at 03:18 PM.

Re: Why all the good stuff on Twitter?

Amen Brother... and it seems from the lottery they are listening. I still don't tweet or twit

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

About 13 minutes too quick. We messaged earlier that we had a configuration issue that prevented running a number of lotteries we had planned this weekend. They went live at 3PM.

It's also worth pointing out that while some who use the forums do not use social media many who do use social media do not use the forums.

Heh, no Facebook love either.
    [CENTER][img]http://www.djelle.dk/sig-lotro.jpg?&f=gp&id=7697947&lo=0e0c0e111pp10&t1=Gedachtnis&u=ironyandspite.guildportal.com&k=Irony%20and%20Spite&i=www.axiomfiles.com/Files/375005/Copy%2520of%2520Irony-and-Spite_LOGO1.jpg[/img]
    It's all to clear we are on our own.[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Gedachtnis View Post
    Yea. Why in the world use Twitter when Facebook is the most visited site on the internet? Or at least use both, if you are not bothering to give the really good stuff through here...
    (poor Google)

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by Gedachtnis View Post
    It's not lack of love, it's simply a matter of each outlet's restrictions and rules. It's something we're working on.
    Last edited by Sapience; Mar 14 2011 at 04:30 PM.

Cool Re: Why all the good stuff on Twitter?

Keep in mind too that the 'Twitter' lotteries are not exclusive to Twitter users. They appear in the myLOTRO lottery page just like the others, they just have shorter timeframes before they close. Twitter is just the notification tool they use to let us know the lotteries are up. Anyone can get in on them, just need to watch the lotto.

Just wanted to clariy that as the OP illuded that these are only for folks who have a Twitter acct.

Edit: Realized OP was referring to the codes won with the trivia Tweets. But as Sapience pointed out... they on lotto now too

Cheers
    Last edited by Smurg; Mar 14 2011 at 04:33 PM.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000161fe/01007/signature.png]Greyfoot[/charsig][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Smurg View Post
    Keep in mind too that the 'Twitter' lotteries are not exclusive to Twitter users. They appear in the myLOTRO lottery page just like the others, they just have shorter timeframes before they close. Twitter is just the notification tool they use to let us know the lotteries are up. Anyone can get in on them, just need to watch the lotto.

Just wanted to clariy that as the OP illuded that these are only for folks who have a Twitter acct.

Cheers

This is true, but I think the reference was to the trivia questions we did this past weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    About 13 minutes too quick. We messaged earlier that we had a configuration issue that prevented running a number of lotteries we had planned this weekend. They went live at 3PM.

It's also worth pointing out that while some who use the forums do not use social media many who do use social media do not use the forums.
    Ahhh...but no one enters the twitter LOTRO lotteries who hasn't read these forums at least once...otherwise how would they have heard about them to enter them? ....and the opposite is not necessarily true....kinda doubt anyone ever heard about these lotteries for the first time from the Twitter ones.

Quote Originally Posted by anwar View Post
    kinda doubt anyone ever heard about these lotteries for the first time from the Twitter ones.
    A surprising number of players never knew the lotteries existed until we started doing flash lotteries via twitter.

I was really surprised at PAX to discover how many people learned about PAX for the first time from tweets about our party and chose to come based on that.

Ahhh...but no one enters the twitter LOTRO lotteries who hasn't read these forums at least once...otherwise how would they have heard about them to enter them? ....and the opposite is not necessarily true....kinda doubt anyone ever heard about these lotteries for the first time from the Twitter ones.
    They would know because of the Twitter tags for LOTRO and all of the players who mention the lotteries, as well as friends who mention them. Not everyone uses the forums just as not everyone uses Twitter or Facebook. You can still find out about things through other avenues without ever having visited the forums previously.
    R.I.P. Big E

Twitter is so 2005.

Never used it, never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerridwen View Post
    They would know because of the Twitter tags for LOTRO and all of the players who mention the lotteries, as well as friends who mention them. Not everyone uses the forums just as not everyone uses Twitter or Facebook. You can still find out about things through other avenues without ever having visited the forums previously.
    As I read it, the point is that the forums are part of Turbine and their game, whereas going outside of either of those isn't really fair to those who bought Turbine's product and now Turbine is pushing them to buy or subscribe to a third party object/program to be able to access all the lotteries.

Since I refuse to buy a cell, landphones are enough of a ball and chain imo, can those who are able to access Twitter via their cells not also able to access the web(ie. the forums)? I know my son has a browser on his... so just wondering? Couldn't the flash and trivia contests be on the forums too?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    A surprising number of players never knew the lotteries existed until we started doing flash lotteries via twitter.

I was really surprised at PAX to discover how many people learned about PAX for the first time from tweets about our party and chose to come based on that.
    "A surprising number of players never knew the lotteries existed until we started doing flash lotteries via twitter."...let me guess...the surprising number was "3"? I know I would be surprised if it was more than 3. I mean why would anyone other than a buddy even know there was a lotro twitter page without the contests you put advertise here?

...BUT...I realize I'm arguing mostly because I think I can win this verbal duel...it's no biggie, just an irritation for someone that doesn't have a cell phone.....hehe I'm old and cranky, I still think it's rude as hell for folks to walk around with those things glued to their ears....and I would love the opportunity to win all the free stuff possible, and without the cell phone to know when a flash lottery is up, I miss them.

I like stuff.

"A surprising number of players never knew the lotteries existed until we started doing flash lotteries via twitter."...let me guess...the surprising number was "3"? I know I would be surprised if it was more than 3. I mean why would anyone other than a buddy even know there was a lotro twitter page without the contests you put advertise here?

...BUT...I realize I'm arguing mostly because I think I can win this verbal duel...it's no biggie, just an irritation for someone that doesn't have a cell phone.....hehe I'm old and cranky, I still think it's rude as hell for folks to walk around with those things glued to their ears....and I would love the opportunity to win all the free stuff possible, and without the cell phone to know when a flash lottery is up, I miss them.

I like stuff.
    Wait, now I'm confused. What does a cellphone have to do with this? I enter the flash lotteries when I catch them, but I never use a phone (my phone has no internet access). Sometimes I miss them but oh well, it's not that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cithryth View Post
    Wait, now I'm confused. What does a cellphone have to do with this? I enter the flash lotteries when I catch them, but I never use a phone (my phone has no internet access). Sometimes I miss them but oh well, it's not that big of a deal.
    Do you get tweets on your browser? I know you can get and respond to tweets on your cell, plus if you've checked http://twitter.com/lotro you will see that there are far more "contests" or "lotteries" there than I've seen on Turbine's own lottery webpage.

You don't have to have a cell phone to have Twitter. Twitter can be visited through a browser just like these forums. Just like you undoubtedly miss some flash lotteries because you weren't at your computer, a lot of people miss the Twitter trivia because they aren't at their computers.

You also don't have to pay for anything to have Twitter. Since trivia is extra, and not required or guaranteed when you buy the product, I wouldn't say that there is actually any entitlement to them - if you want to participate, you can sign up for Twitter in about a minute. (I think a lot of people have done this, since I've seen a lot of winners whose only tweets are responses to LOTRO. ) But Turbine is not pushing you to do so, as far as I can tell. It's totally voluntary.

As for finding LOTRO on Twitter, I didn't get any of that information from this site - I just found them one day while I was browsing tags. You may be surprised. Young people, especially, use social networking much more often than any forums. These are the first forums I've visited regularly in QUITE a long time. I also had no idea the lotteries on this website existed until they were announced via the Twitter page.
    Last edited by KaylesX; Mar 15 2011 at 09:22 PM.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000039a37/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Gaerien - Elf - Tinker | Laelia - Hobbit - Explorer
    Midhiel - Elf - Rune-Keeper | Elwyna - Woman - Captain[/CENTER]

No wonder I never knew about the horse lottery! I was a night owl when that lottery happened, had my lottery page signed in at My Lotro and refreshed the page no more than 3 hours apart. Ah well, guess those of us that stick to Turbine's official site don't matter anymore, eh?

Sorry, but I would rather play EQ2 and grind Brell Day beer goodies than hover over some stupid Twitter page. Why don't you do that horse lottery in a normal manner and allow some decent length of time with it?

As for the notice thing, it sounds too invasive to me. I am very careful with what types of sites I sign up for.

EDIT - Wow, I just did a google search on twitter and hacked. Seems that tweet thing has been hacked a number of times in very bad ways. Sorry, even a unique horse isn't enough to open my computer to that sort of risk.
    Last edited by redwoodtreesprite2; Mar 17 2011 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodtreesprite2 View Post
    No wonder I never knew about the horse lottery! I was a night owl when that lottery happened, had my lottery page signed in at My Lotro and refreshed the page no more than 3 hours apart. Ah well, guess those of us that stick to Turbine's official site don't matter anymore, eh?

Sorry, but I would rather play EQ2 and grind Brell Day beer goodies than hover over some stupid Twitter page. Why don't you do that horse lottery in a normal manner and allow some decent length of time with it?

As for the notice thing, it sounds too invasive to me. I am very careful with what types of sites I sign up for.

EDIT - Wow, I just did a google search on twitter and hacked. Seems that tweet thing has been hacked a number of times in very bad ways. Sorry, even a unique horse isn't enough to open my computer to that sort of risk.
    At the end it's an added bonus (the lotteries) and for myself I don't take them granted. I already won a lot of things within the last 6 months and I am happy. They can run as many twitter- or facebookspecials as they like, I won't be jealous about that.

Out of principle for myself I have chosen not to utilize any of those sites. Luckily I don't have to either.

The only thing I potentially perceive as negative is if I start to feel left out because I did not know about the lottery and it was a one-shot special offer.

Of course they want to network with those sites, it's great cheap exposure and in some cases probably easier for the staff to give a quick update on twitter (this should be rectified long term though imo).

My idea would be to have at least 3 lotteries at different times (to accomodate the different time-zones and "life-styles") that are advertised with a certain window. This only for the big-ticket items, no one should complain about wine&cheese, right?

If I understood that correctly though Sapience&Co have to do them manually, so asking them to get up at midnight to flip a switch might not be very nice either.
    [CENTER][FONT=Arial][B]Rouven[/B]* – official representative** of the silent[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]U[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial] majority[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]U[FONT=Wingdings]U[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial] for 130 years[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]¸[/FONT][/FONT][/CENTER]

[CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000044504/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=1][URL="http://my.lotro.com/user-1069763/2011/05/18/the-footnote/"]Important [I]footnotes[/I] to the above can be found here.[/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]