We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: DPS Minstrels

Re: DPS Minstrels

Quote Originally Posted by jeedai View Post
    Your use of the trait line does not change the developer's intentions for it.
    [citation needed] about it being the developer's intentions.

As far as I can see, it's a DPS line, nothing about it says that it's strictly for soloing.

OK. first things first...thank you for bringing this conversation back to some semblence of normalcy. real discussion...good stuff.

In retrospect...i think the main thing people are reacting to is the question: OK ms. rk. are you traited healing or dps? and the fact of the matter is an rk can do both -- very effectively -- at raid level end game content.

the question to the minstrel is not the same. a minstrel is *expected* to heal. and what I gather, that is what has people a bit on edge.

i would argue, however, that the question should be differnt for a minstrel. a minstrel brings different things to the table. one of those CAN be DPS. every class in the came should be thinking about how can they effecively and efficently do damage. minis can do and contribute to dps.

soon, minis will be looking at ballads of composure and ballads of flame to do dps. ballad of war is already sought after by melee classes. the dps comparison shouldn't be to an RK...but to the support role of a captain (to arms) or a burg (reveal weakness). mins can help everyone.

harperlla has already pointed out two key things: first, for power hungry dps minis...well, use a harp! second (more importantly) think about preventative healing. most minis already recognize the value of anthem of the free peoples. +1500 ICMR is extradonarily helpful...but tale of warding (especially double strength) and the evasion buff...very helpful. other minis buffs help tremendously. wound protection...well... just might be more valuable shortly!

minis are MUCH more survivable than any other light armour class. we have more armour (we use shields!) we are more versatile than many...we have good CC (anyone else thing mezzing undead is increasing in value) and soon, we'll be the ONLY cllass with AOE corruption removal.

having said all that -- and being an advocate ofr the role of a war mini AS a dps class...it is clearly an uphill battle.

bottom line: contribute effectively to a group. if that means go dps only...then let your group know! if that means you are asked to heal and you say yes, don't expect to be in WS the whole time (and ALWAYS thank you cappies, wardens, and offhelalers later)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000aa753/01004/signature.png]Roselindea[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    [citation needed] about it being the developer's intentions.

As far as I can see, it's a DPS line, nothing about it says that it's strictly for soloing.
    Book 11 release notes: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Release_Notes_Book_11

Code:
    Month of the Minstrel
        * More effective solo play:
              o War-Speech toggle stance opens up new skills
    Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Nikodeemu View Post
    Book 11 release notes: http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Release_Notes_Book_11

Code:
    Month of the Minstrel
        * More effective solo play:
              o War-Speech toggle stance opens up new skills
    Just sayin'
    No one's denying that it will make solo play more effective - but that doesn't mean that it's for ONLY soloing

At any rate, I think I've gotten a handle on healing, I've done it in some PUGs and with my kin lately...but lord, it's a lot less fun than DPS. And a lot easier. Easier isn't necessarily good.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000039a37/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Gaerien - Elf - Tinker | Laelia - Hobbit - Explorer
    Midhiel - Elf - Rune-Keeper | Elwyna - Woman - Captain[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by KaylesX View Post
    No one's denying that it will make solo play more effective - but that doesn't mean that it's for ONLY soloing

At any rate, I think I've gotten a handle on healing, I've done it in some PUGs and with my kin lately...but lord, it's a lot less fun than DPS. And a lot easier. Easier isn't necessarily good.
    The person I replied to was questioning the developers' intents. I just wanted to point those out as they were always fairly clear to anyone who actually played (a mini) back then.

I don't really care if people want to try to fill a DPS spot in groups. It's even almost feasible if you have a non-DPS LM in the group who can feed you power. Doesn't mean a real DPS class wouldn't do significantly better though.

Ok...now that I don't understand. Not that healing is a specifically hard task, but how is it easier than dps? How is firing off all your damage skills in a specific rotation, or maybe following an assist target, hard?

Minstrel DPS is many things...hard isn't one of them... (or if not hard, it's definately not "harder" than healing...if anything I'd say they are both easy/average).
    Meliane - [EU] Snowbourn
    Meliana - Elendilimir (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Anardil View Post
    Ok...now that I don't understand. Not that healing is a specifically hard task, but how is it easier than dps? How is firing off all your damage skills in a specific rotation, or maybe following an assist target, hard?

Minstrel DPS is many things...hard isn't one of them... (or if not hard, it's definately not "harder" than healing...if anything I'd say they are both easy/average).
    I didn't say it was hard... Of course I don't find it difficult, that's what I've spent nearly all of the game doing. However, I would definitely say it's hardER, since DPSing as a Minstrel involves keeping a close eye on one's power bar and using a variety of skills (I don't fire everything off in the same order over and over...). Not to mention kiting. Healing, however... Healing consumes little power and can be completed effectively with the use of only a few skills. Most of the time (read: in my limited experience), a Bolster Courage will get the job done, or an Inspire Fellows will give everyone a boost. There's still buffing, but that comes with both packages.

Naturally, everything I say is to be taken with a grain of salt since I haven't been healing groups for long. But it seems to me that the first part of this thread was aimed toward convincing me that healing was easier - now it isn't?
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000039a37/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

My Mini is only lvl 29 atm, but I always advertise myself as healing or dps/buffs. When I do dps in groups, I always make sure that my fellowship buffs are up 100% of the time. I know I'm not better at dps than a champ or hunter, so I make sure I do what I can to beef them up as well.

Also, I always have lots of power pots on hand. I appreciate LM's helping me out, but am always prepared to take care of myself. Plus, I usually try to help the other healer when possible. Since I'm already tiering for other skills, I'll drop the ICMR anthem (forget the name) so the main healer doesn't have to.

One thing I don't see most people do is eat food. Even the basic food from the Provisioners can really help. A few seconds in between fights can help top my power off so I can go all out during fights.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000002faf1/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I didn't say it was hard... Of course I don't find it difficult, that's what I've spent nearly all of the game doing. However, I would definitely say it's hardER, since DPSing as a Minstrel involves keeping a close eye on one's power bar and using a variety of skills (I don't fire everything off in the same order over and over...). Not to mention kiting. Healing, however... Healing consumes little power and can be completed effectively with the use of only a few skills. Most of the time (read: in my limited experience), a Bolster Courage will get the job done, or an Inspire Fellows will give everyone a boost. There's still buffing, but that comes with both packages.

Naturally, everything I say is to be taken with a grain of salt since I haven't been healing groups for long. But it seems to me that the first part of this thread was aimed toward convincing me that healing was easier - now it isn't?
    The first part of the thread was aimed at convincing you that healing isn't as hard as you were making it out to be, and you should learn to be an effective healer in a group.

DPS is not harder than healing...watching 6-12 morale bars is a little more annoying/"harder" than watching 1 power bar and spamming a skill rotation.

Not to say healing is specifically hard, but DPSing is definately the easier of the two.
    Meliane - [EU] Snowbourn
    Meliana - Elendilimir (RIP)

Another thought I had today...

When a minstrel is traited 3 into red line, you get an additional AoE debuff of Anthem of the Wizards coming up much sooner (every 2 min instead of 5) and Anthem of the Valar every 30s. This will be even more useful when the minstrel changes hit and Anthem of the Valar does AoE corruption removal. You may find healing minstrels traiting red just to get these CDs down.

--Harperella
    [url=http://alesandtales.com]The Lonely Mountain Band[/url]|[url=http://tinyurl.com/freestyleharp]Freestyle![/url]|[url=http://tinyurl.com/winharperella]Winner: Top Guild Leader![/url]|[url=Weatherstock.guildlaunch.com]Weatherstock V[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Anardil View Post
    The first part of the thread was aimed at convincing you that healing isn't as hard as you were making it out to be, and you should learn to be an effective healer in a group.

DPS is not harder than healing...watching 6-12 morale bars is a little more annoying/"harder" than watching 1 power bar and spamming a skill rotation.

Not to say healing is specifically hard, but DPSing is definately the easier of the two.
    There's a difference between something actually being "hard" and something being beyond one's knowledge. What you don't know how to do will always be the hardest thing for you. That doesn't mean it's actually difficult for everyone. I think you're taking my thoughts on my personal struggles and skills as what I think are EVERYONE'S struggles and skills, and that's not what I mean(t) at all.

But if you find DPSing much easier than healing, that's your opinion based on your own experiences. Not necessarily everyone's. As I said before, I don't spam my skills in any specific rotation. And watching a power bar involves watching it, working with it (i.e., stopping entirely when you've run out), and using pots and food to control it. You may find that simpler than watching other people's morale bars and upping them, but I, personally, don't. I do, however, find it much more fun.

My mini (was end game before new content release, I want some kindred stuff)
    I had all the healing gear I wanted and made a DPS build

anyways...

I trait capstone red
    I made a weapon only for dps
    I use the Tower of Orth. dps armour set.*

When I run like this I can out dps many dps classes in places like foundry. (AOEs like a champ but no aggro issues)
    Single target sustained dps is much lower: less than 1k

Personally I rather heal in raids more action but the dps provides a nice break

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5