We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The fall of moria instance

I tried this quest and died fast to the balrog. I was running around looking for the way out. Am I supposed to dig back through the wall where I came in? I'd like to know before I start again. Thanks

Re: The fall of moria instance

Don' run around inside the cave. Just let the dwarf go in and you stay near the entrance. Once he is dead after a few seconds; the cave door will open again and just run all the way back. Its an escape/survive kind of quest.

Horrible instance in my opinion. First of all, you spend 15 minutes running back and forth to do dialogue with NPC's who are a mile apart in the throne room (a timekiller - simple busywork), then you kill 7 mobs (another time killer, serves no purpose), then you watch your king die while you are supposed to stand there.

The quest tracker simply says "escape!" - yet there is no indication that you are supposed to stand there for 30 seconds and wait for a wall to collapse. I'll bet most players do all that ####, only to have to try the entire instance a second time once they find out about the wall.

Poorly implemented. Seems like Turbine was just looking for a way to milk an instance into 30 minutes of nonsense.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000003940a/01003/signature.png]Aethelwaine[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Alefa_Galgoran View Post
    Poorly implemented. Seems like Turbine was just looking for a way to milk an instance into 30 minutes of nonsense.
    It is perfectly fine. This session play like many others is telling a story. It does a good job of explaining the background to the release of the Balrog, the unhappiness of the elves with the dwarves over what the dwarves have done, sets the stage for what is going to happen to Moria and the dwarves at the hands of the Balrog.

With this story there is not much in the way of combat to show. That Balrog wipes the dwarves out. Except for any survivors which excape by leaving Moria. Very similar to what your session play character does in order to complete the instance properly.

The session play "We can not get out" is a similar theme. In this case, you get the fun of playing a dwarf Champion - success in this case is surviving long enough before you are killed along with everyone else.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Aug 11 2011 at 02:12 AM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    It is perfectly fine. This session play like many others is telling a story. It does a good job of explaining the background to the release of the Balrog, the unhappiness of the elves with the dwarves over what the dwarves have done, sets the stage for what is going to happen to Moria and the dwarves at the hands of the Balrog.
    I agree about the importance of explaining the release of the Balrog, I just think that the NPC's you must interact with are unnecessarily far apart. Takes a long time to run back and forth across throne room several times just to keep the instance moving forward.

And wow, Yula, you have a lot of posts!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000003940a/01003/signature.png]Aethelwaine[/charsig]

The quest tracker simply says "escape!" - yet there is no indication that you are supposed to stand there for 30 seconds and wait for a wall to collapse. I'll bet most players do all that ####, only to have to try the entire instance a second time once they find out about the wall.
    When I was there for the first time - I really enjoyed this part. It made me feel scared at first and very relieved when the wall finally collapsed. I liked the dynamics of the place and I was not spoiled with session-plays yet.

For the second toon it seemed rather boring and I died from misadventure while killing the last mob.

For the third - a had to force myself to go through all that instance again. Did it only because it is related to the story and I like doing all books with all my chars.

I had no motivation left for my last two alts... skipped it completely. And it is the only Moria quest I skip due to a lack of interest.
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtarel - Hunter / Lunasa - Minstrel
    Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight

Horrible instance in my opinion. First of all, you spend 15 minutes running back and forth to do dialogue with NPC's who are a mile apart in the throne room (a timekiller - simple busywork), then you kill 7 mobs (another time killer, serves no purpose), then you watch your king die while you are supposed to stand there.

I have these same complaints. The first time I died in this instance was because I listened to "Protect my son" over "Stay here"; since I couldn't escape behind me and the son dude ran up to the boss, I figured I had to fight the boss a bit, so I ran up to it and it was unattackable. So I ran around looking for another exit and died to environmental fire.

I also have another complaint/suggestion. The second time I died was because I touched the green water. Just touched. It was instant death. I know for a fact that the green water in the normal Foundations is not even harmful, nevermind lethal. I don't know about the green water on the way to Gwanthor as your normal PC on this same map. With this frustration and the busywork before it, I think I'm just going to skip this quest. It's not fun.
    [size=1][i]A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won[/i][/size]

In my first run there wasn't Durin VI at all in the mine. =P
    I was wondering where I found him becouse I needed to talk with him but there was only "locked" mine wall or something and The I just died.

In second run that midget came with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post

With this story there is not much in the way of combat to show. That Balrog wipes the dwarves out. Except for any survivors which excape by leaving Moria. Very similar to what your session play character does in order to complete the instance properly.

The session play "We can not get out" is a similar theme. In this case, you get the fun of playing a dwarf Champion - success in this case is surviving long enough before you are killed along with everyone else.
    No it's NOT perfectly fine!

I'm delighted to have extra storylines (e.g. watching the Fellowship depart Rivendell was moving), understand that the Balrog could drive massive numbers of dwarves out of Moria and like having a go at a Champion.
    But as Alefa_Galgoran and Nakiami have explained, behaving sensibly just gets you killed.
    Doing this instance a second time is disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by tinuelwing View Post
    No it's NOT perfectly fine!

I'm delighted to have extra storylines (e.g. watching the Fellowship depart Rivendell was moving), understand that the Balrog could drive massive numbers of dwarves out of Moria and like having a go at a Champion.
    But as Alefa_Galgoran and Nakiami have explained, behaving sensibly just gets you killed.
    Doing this instance a second time is disappointing.
    you mean to tell me by this point in the game you don't have a clue how the general flow of things is going to work? if all you do is rush through the game as fast as possible and don't pick up on the 'feel' of how things work, i can see how this instance might be a bit confusing. but, if you let things play out, and pay attention, it shouldn't be that difficult. i'm fairly new to the game and walked through it first time with no problems. but i have been playing MMO's for a bit and generally know how things work.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensilence View Post
    you mean to tell me by this point in the game you don't have a clue how the general flow of things is going to work? if all you do is rush through the game as fast as possible and don't pick up on the 'feel' of how things work, i can see how this instance might be a bit confusing. but, if you let things play out, and pay attention, it shouldn't be that difficult. i'm fairly new to the game and walked through it first time with no problems. but i have been playing MMO's for a bit and generally know how things work.
    I don't rush through the game (my 70th level Warden is undefeated, which took quite a lot of patience!)

I did 'pay attention' and at the critical moment my Dwarf was told 'escape' (I tried the rockfall, but couldn't budge it) and 'protect Nain'. Since he advanced on the Balrog, so did I.

Of course now we know that if you stand there 'frozen in fear', you'll miraculously find the rockfall opens and you escape. That disappoints me.

Quote Originally Posted by tinuelwing View Post
    I don't rush through the game (my 70th level Warden is undefeated, which took quite a lot of patience!)

I did 'pay attention' and at the critical moment my Dwarf was told 'escape' (I tried the rockfall, but couldn't budge it) and 'protect Nain'. Since he advanced on the Balrog, so did I.

Of course now we know that if you stand there 'frozen in fear', you'll miraculously find the rockfall opens and you escape. That disappoints me.
    hmmm....mine was a bit more fluid. i didn't advance anywhere near the balrog, when i got the message to 'escape' i just pretty much did that.

I'll be honest, our first times through, my friend and I died horrible deaths and had to wait on instance reset. He went down to green lava. I fell to balrog environmental effects because it wasn't clear to me at the time that the tunnel was going to open back up again. So I went out into the balrog room to look for an alternate exit.

Also, in the heat of the moment, it isn't 100% clear that the "other" dwarf trapped with you and Durin isn't Nain. In all the excitement, I forgot all about the mining foreman who had come with us.

I'll agree with the earlier poster: the instance is a time sink. Between the throne room marathon and the "Kill X critters" objective sing an underequipped Guardian with no Power Regen, the instance has no replay value whatsoever.
    Recent immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensilence View Post
    hmmm....mine was a bit more fluid. i didn't advance anywhere near the balrog, when i got the message to 'escape' i just pretty much did that.
    Fair enough.

Now I've just done the whole thing again and (although I do appreciate the efforts the designers put in with these extras) it was just a case of not doing anything except waiting for 'instructions':

- when Balrog appears, wait by blocked rockfall
    - once Balrog closes to you, the rockfall opens - run through
    - run about a bit (no escape found)
    - talk to Nain who asks you to hold off Balrog (eek) whilst he escapes
    - prepare to fight Balrog; suddenly instance ends and you're successful