We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mordor

Question Mordor

Hello,
    I am a new player in the LOTRO game, and I have a question: Can you get to Mordor?
    The game is created based on the movie (I hope)
    And if you can't get to Mordor, then tell me why

Re: Mordor

cant get there yet... the book has not been unlocked...

no, the game is NOT based on the movie. It is based on the books. In the movie you only see the perspective of that one fellowship and their travels. In the game, while they are doing their thing, you are experiencing what is happening in the rest of the world.

and we might be able to get to mordor one day, when the update comes.. but not yet
    and trust me, there is enough areas like this, we dont need mordor yet, first we need are some changes to our legendary items legacies and stuff like that

Can't get to Mordor (yet...)

The game is based off of the books and Tolkien lore not directly off the movies.

The game was first begun as the players following behind the fellowship as they moved towards Mordor (with some creative sidetracks for playabilities sake), we are still following that basic course. Sofar we have gone through the beginning lands like the Shire and Bree, gone through Moria and into and almost out of Mirkwood. As of now we're heading towards Isengard with a speculative eye at Rohan. Thats where we are in the storyline sofar, can't say for sure if we'll ever actually get to go into Mordor.

A design decision was made to start instead of doing the entire known middle earth and just hitting the highlights, the would instead do the areas as the fellowship encountered them, and do them in detail.

IMHO, they did the right thing.

Right now we are about the end of the first book and about to head into second book with Isengard.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000001111ac/01000/signature.png]Luteman[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Lvoun View Post
    Hello,
    I am a new player in the LOTRO game, and I have a question: Can you get to Mordor?
    The game is created based on the movie (I hope)
    And if you can't get to Mordor, then tell me why
    The game is based on the books, and no you can't get to Mordor . . . yet. Middle-earth is a very large place, and it made no sense to release with content that players oughtn't be seeing for some time. Instead, we are, as others pointed out, generally following the path of the Fellowship (with some side excursions as we go.)

that said, if you want to see a mordor like area, get to level 40+ and visit angmar. an area I often refer to, with good reason, as "Angmar-lite"

I've heard one does not just walk into Mordor. But perhaps one day someone will find a secret way in...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
    that said, if you want to see a mordor like area, get to level 40+ and visit angmar. an area I often refer to, with good reason, as "Angmar-lite"
    I think you meant "Mordor-lite". I don't know why Angmar would ever be referred to as Angmar-lite.

Right now in lotro we are getting close to the conclusion of "The Fellowship of the Ring". Unless I am mistaken, the Fellowship at the moment is either drifting down the Anduin toward Nen Hithoel or they are already at Parth Galen. We on the other hand are making our way towards Dunland as news of the war to come in the south is reaching Enedwaith.

So, we have a -long- time until we'll be sitting infront of the Black Gate awaiting the shattering of the Dark Tower.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000f756b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Escwald - Escwyre - Escwinn - Ruull

Quote Originally Posted by Gui_Incognito View Post
    I think you meant "Mordor-lite". I don't know why Angmar would ever be referred to as Angmar-lite.
    I'm pretty sure that's what he meant
    [CENTER][font=arial][size=2][color=#4a618f]Arenthil Val'dun - Warden[/color][/size] [color=#75858d][url=http://tarciryanknights.com]Tarciryan Knights - Imladris[/url][/color]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000001de42/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [size=1][color=silver]"When the Great Sea stirs and darkness falls over Gondor, we shall answer with blood, sweat, and steel. “[/color][/size][/font][/CENTER]

I appreciate your post and advice.
    I hope that it sometimes happens that one day we will be able to get to Mordor.
    If you had some opinions or advice write it here, I will be glad for your participation

Quote Originally Posted by elendurfarseeker View Post
    I've heard one does not just walk into Mordor. But perhaps one day someone will find a secret way in...
    /walk_into_Mordor
    You cannot walk into Mordor... yet.

/waltz_into_Mordor
    You waltz into Mordor!

I was runner up in season 3 of dancing with the orcs. But when I went to throw down the chicken dance my partner, Gimli, couldn't keep up. Stupid dwarf legs. 8 people died. It haunts my dreams.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001580ae/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Be Excellent To Each Other

Quote Originally Posted by Lvoun View Post
    I appreciate your post and advice.
    I hope that it sometimes happens that one day we will be able to get to Mordor.
    If you had some opinions or advice write it here, I will be glad for your participation
    Well, in the first place, welcome to Middle-earth!

You can ask questions of all kinds on the various subforums here, but you might do well to read some of the existing threads first. We've got a lot of different opinions here, and some of us tend to get kind of hot under the collar when arguing their point. Don't let it throw you. The player community in a Turbine game is a lot more civilized than in most others.

You'll see a lot of questions beginning "Why can't we..." or "Why doesn't Turbine ..." to which there will be assorted answers, such as "YES!!" and "NOOOOOO!" and "Because it doesn't fit the Lore," and "Because the Turbine Engine (the software that runs the game) won't allow it."

The other thing you might do, while you're also getting experienced in the game and reading the forums, is to read the books if you haven't already. As others have already said, Turbine's license to run this game is based on the books -- The Hobbit and the three volumes of The Lord of the Rings -- and not on anything that was in the movies and not in the books. If you haven't read them, I do urge you to pick up some cheap paperback copies and read them. This game is full of material, not directly involved in the plot, that is mentioned in the books somewhere or other, and for someone who's read the books suddenly to come across one of them gives a moment of joyful recognition that I can't adequately describe.

Keep playing, level a few characters -- don't be in a hurry; this game is (as someone once remarked) as full of content as a Super-Mega-Double-Stuffed-Quesadilla-Burger, and (especially if you make one character of each of the four races) you can experience it all if you take your time. And by the time Mordor opens, you'll be ready for it.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Berephon View Post
    The game is based on the books, and no you can't get to Mordor . . . yet. Middle-earth is a very large place, and it made no sense to release with content that players oughtn't be seeing for some time. Instead, we are, as others pointed out, generally following the path of the Fellowship (with some side excursions as we go.)
    Any chance of some side excursions into Northern Mirkwood, Beorn's house, Thranduil's realm, Lake-town, Dale, and the Lonely Mountain, for some value of soon?

Quote Originally Posted by GEARS1980 View Post

You waltz into Mordor!
    One does not simply waltz into Mordor.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000111a0f/01008/signature.png]Galadheru[/charsig]

Galadheru - Evenstar Kinship
    [url]http://www.evenstar-kinship.com/[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by onemadhatter View Post
    One does not simply waltz into Mordor.
    No. If any dance can be compared to how you get into Mordor, it would be the limbo.

When you say that you hope it's based on the movies, do you mean instead of books or just hope it's based on any iteration?

I can't even express how grateful I am that they based the game off the books instead of the movies. Dont get me wrong, even though I am a HUGE obsessive fan of the books, I still rather enjoyed the movies for what they were. However, they pale deeply in comparison to the books and lack the incredible amount of lore depth and richness found in Tolkeins writing.

I don't want a game with dwarves doing stand up comedy, absolutely no rangers save for one who is two steps away from cutting his wrists, significant characters absent completely, etc..

TBH, I don't know why people would want an MMO that is going to last a long time to be based off the films. I love the films and a lot of the art design in it, don't get me wrong, but there *is* room for more than one interpretation of Middle-earth

The only reason I'd see someone wanting this MMO to be based off the films is if they have never read The Hobbit or LOTR and do not realize just how expansive Middle-earth is. And you need to go read them, like, now. Good books.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticNightmare View Post
    When you say that you hope it's based on the movies, do you mean instead of books or just hope it's based on any iteration?

I can't even express how grateful I am that they based the game off the books instead of the movies. Dont get me wrong, even though I am a HUGE obsessive fan of the books, I still rather enjoyed the movies for what they were. However, they pale deeply in comparison to the books and lack the incredible amount of lore depth and richness found in Tolkeins writing.

I don't want a game with dwarves doing stand up comedy, absolutely no rangers save for one who is two steps away from cutting his wrists, significant characters absent completely, etc..
    One of the troubles with the movies is that one of the troubles with Jackson (may his bones burn green) doesn't believe in heroes. He doesn't believe that there can be any heroes. That's why he made Aragorn a twentieth-century antihero, Boromir a sneak instead of a tragic hero whose tragic flaw is envy, and Faramir wishy-washy.

Can we please not turn this into a film or Jackson-bashing thread? It's very much possible to appreciate both the films and the books for separate reasons. And, like it or not, Jackson's films did introduce millions of people to the world of Tolkien. I am not sure if I would have ever picked them up if it had not been for FOTR completely thrilling me. Now, I'm a die-hard book fan and a big movie fan.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    One of the troubles with the movies is that one of the troubles with Jackson (may his bones burn green) doesn't believe in heroes. He doesn't believe that there can be any heroes. That's why he made Aragorn a twentieth-century antihero, Boromir a sneak instead of a tragic hero whose tragic flaw is envy, and Faramir wishy-washy.
    (I love the movies and the books)

When I heard his name I immediately was terrified that he would find some way to turn it into a gross out zombie flick of some sort, pffew was I relieved,

BUT,

Have you guys see the deleted scene in the paths of the dead where an ocean of skulls spills out of nowhere and washes them out of the mountain... after I cranked my jaw up off of the floor, first I was thankful that they kept that out of the theatres, and then I had to lol at old PJ going for some of his over the top horror wackiness.

PJ's always just one step away from genius to campy weird, Like Raimi, Raimi could have easily turned lord of the rings into evil dead 4 if he had gotten ahold of it

"In this scene I envision the reforging of Elendils sword, now, we start by Aragorn getting his hand chopped of, and then Elrond comes in with a chainsaw..."

Although the decision to cast Bruce Campbell as Aragorn, I think in the end, it would have been his oscar win, like when Jim Carey became a serious dramatic actor.

/shudder
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001580ae/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Be Excellent To Each Other

I can't see how or why a player character will go into Mordor. The only free peoples who go there are Sam and Frodo. We might possibly get close but inside, I doubt it.
    Nothing to see here, move along...

Quote Originally Posted by Freedot View Post
    I can't see how or why a player character will go into Mordor. The only free peoples who go there are Sam and Frodo. We might possibly get close but inside, I doubt it.
    Somebody has to go in and clean out all the leftovers after the Ring is destroyed....

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    Somebody has to go in and clean out all the leftovers after the Ring is destroyed....

--W. H. Heydt

Old Used Programmer
    After the Ring's destroyed there will be two huge armies of Southrons and Easterlings at our mercy, and they're used to being slaves
    Re-ni-AN-nen - strayed (ppt. of renia- 'to stray')
    Aeled Reniannen, Defender of Middle-earth ~ Nendhiniel, Forge-Warden : Captain and Wardenette from [EN-RP] Laurelin
    Fluffrash, Blade of Barashish ~ Nathraen, Conqueror of Towers : Warg Puppy and Spider Tailor from the darker side thereof
    Faradwen, Swift-Arrow : Huntress from [EN-RE] Landroval

As if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.
    ~~~~~
    Kári was a little Dwarf. / Smaller than you or me. / And wherever Kári went / He took his axe… or three.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast