We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    A sunny little coastal city in California.

The advice channel is now the new OOC:

Seriously, this is insane. One person asks a simple question, five people answer, then the channel goes off on some unnecessary topic for over an hour because two people start a flame war. What is up with that?

I'm sure it's going on in other servers too. I'm just amazed how almost all the conversations I've been seeing are in the /advice channel. Is it too much to ask to use /OOC instead? Please?

Re: The advice channel is now the new OOC:

Are you referring to Breeland or Bree Advice channel? I've seen this happen many times there, but not in other locales around Middle-Earth.
    And yes, it is quite annoying...
    Curie, Officer-----We Kinship-----Windfola
    [url]http://wekinship.com/[/url]
    [url]http://stickmenwithmartinis.com/[/url] A cartoon series on politics, philosophy, and life's randomness.

I stand in Bree and Bree-land a lot answering questions (especially the age-old "How do I get a horse") and I have seen this on a horrendous level. To add to it, a lot of the time people are very obscene in these channels and hide behind the "well there's a filter so it doesn't matter what I say" excuse.

I really should stop spending so much time in those areas, but I really just want to help people :/ I was hoping if I led by example, the idiots would get the point but... doesn't seem to be the case thus far.

right click on chat channel.
    uncheck OOC and Advice.

Problem solved !
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

A sunny little coastal city in California.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    right click on chat channel.
    uncheck OOC and Advice.

Problem solved !
    I would, except that some people still legitimately ask good questions one in a while, and I like to answer them. I'm sure others share my sentiments toward this issue.

I just wish people in Bree would not misuse the channels with unnecessary or vulgar dialogue, particularly in the advice channel, for one. On one hand, it's nice seeing so many new people in the game, but on the other hand the declining civility in the chat channels will drive many of these potential new players away if it keeps up. I'm sure many of them came to LOTRO to escape similar behavior going on in the other MMOs they just left.

What is most disturbing to me is not the way that the Advice channel conversations seem to be leaning more and more toward the direction of OOC discussion (though this is certainly getting annoying), but the rude and foul way that people seem to be behaving and speaking lately, particularly the newcomers.
    Lately it seems that any conversation that is started in Bree is going to result in flaming, name-calling, trolling, racist remarks, and a shockingly high volume of slams against "rednecks" and America (because we all know that that's what's wrong with LOTRO... southerners and the US *rolleyes*).

One of my in-game friends is an ex-WoW player who has been seriously considering returning to WoW lately because she can't stand the rude nature of all of the new players. She says that since all of the [censored] are now here in LOTRO, she might as well switch back to WoW. Sadly, I can understand why she feels this way.
    LOTRO has been praised in the past for the mature, kind, and helpful nature of its players. I just hope that those days aren't behind us.

Personally I'm amused by the people that complain about people asking questions in Advice.

When I travel through Bree, I confess I sometimes turn off the advice and OOC channels. The content there can get quite inane and offensive. But most of the time I leave these channels on, on the off chance that someone will have an honest question. When that happens, I usually wait for a few seconds to see if someone else offers an answer before plunging in with my own.

That being said, I have seen many examples of incorrect or just plain rude answers given in the advice channel. If you are attempting to give advice, please make sure that the advice you are giving is both correct and non-derogatory. If you are unsure of the correct answer, wait a few moments before replying: someone else may give a better answer, and you might learn something as well.

As for the ever-present "LOL, you n00b" or "You can't get a horse at all because your [sic] lame" answers being given in advice, I have adopted a non-responsive attitude. Quite simply, any attempt to "proactively correct" this sort of behavior will end in failure. When I see this sort of thing, I /ignore the offender and move on. If enough people simply don't take the bait, then either these people will either get the hint and curtail their sophomoric rhetoric, or they will continue to escalate their jibes to the point of ludicrosity. Either way, I can no longer see their pitiful attempts to gain attention.

Just my opinion. Further, I know that "ludicrositry" is not a word, and acknowledge that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplyhere View Post
    That being said, I have seen many examples of incorrect or just plain rude answers given in the advice channel. If you are attempting to give advice, please make sure that the advice you are giving is both correct and non-derogatory.
    THIS.

The most frustrating thing is someone asking a question and then witnessing the first responder give them the wrong answer.

The really funny thing that happens sometimes though is when I give an answer and people don't believe me. Someone asked what a worm was in this game and I said it can mean either, y'know, giant worms like we think of or big lizard-like kind of dragon-y things. They laughed at me and told me I was wrong.

I guess they'll be in for a big surprise when they go up to Angmar

Yes, the advice channel now reads like the Trade channel in WoW. It really makes me miss the pre-FTP days when people were (mostly) courteous and appreciated an answer.

I avoid Bree now.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000000dc25/signature.png]Feralir[/charsig]
    Favorite quest name: Lost Caws

Use /ignore on the offender. Then you still have your channel open and have the dialogue removed from the source. I don't know why people complain about this constantly, when it's SO simple to work-around. If you are worried about ignoring too many people, you can go into the list and clear it out every once in a while to see if they are still 'abusing' chat channels, and re-add as needed.

This is a much better response than simply shutting off the channel, but it does require you to do the work, rather than the person who offends with their off topic communication.

And since I have yet to see people getting infractions and violations warnings about the use of /advice for OOC, or /advice for Trade talk, or /Regional for anything at all that is not game related, I doubt very much the way people use/abuse channels will change.

It just reminds me of the days when some people had CB radios and bases installed in their homes, and everyone was forced to listen in to their lives minutiae because they were too cheap to install shielded wire on their CB and had too much power in the first place. These people will NEVER respect anyone else, so talking to them, complaining to them, it just feeds their ego to know they can have such an effect on the world around them by being so annoying. It puffs them up. Better to /ignore totally.
    Last edited by probitas; Feb 19 2011 at 05:30 PM.