We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    High in the Alps
    Posts
    68

    Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    Beta Release Notes for Update 2

    Lua
    • Context menus should now support Unicode characters.
    • Fix for Quickslots becoming invisible after setting the shortcut. The behavior of IsVisible on Control changed slightly as well. It used to return true if the cotnrol was visible and all of the parent elements were visible. Now IsVisible returns true if the control is flagged to be visible. A new API IsDisplayed was added that returns the old value.
    • Enabled error reporting for syntax errors. Huzzah!
    • Fix so that activating a window as a response to the Activated event for that window will not cause infinite recursion.
    • Fix for ListBox SetSelectedIndex not translating from a one based system to zero based. Plugins will need to revert any offset correction they were doing themselves and use the values that GetSelectedIndex would return.
    What do you think of it ?
    New possibilities, new plugs in sight ?

    Edit: sorry for the typo.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,600

    Re: Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    Sounds more like bug fixing than API expansion, with a new debugging tool.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,168

    Re: Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    The biggest change that could affect LUA authors (and users) was the revamped combat log.

    We have made a significant number of changes and improvements to combat logging text.
    • You will now see messages for parries, evades, blocks, resists, immunity, misses and interrupts.
    • Damage is now qualified as a hit, critical hit or devastating hit.
    • Healing is now qualified as a heal or critical heal.
    • Non-damaging and non-healing skill and effect application is now logged.
    • Damage and healing done by effects, including damage-over-time and heal-over-time effects will now be logged with the name of the effect.
    It seems quite comprehensive, for example:

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerridwen View Post
    Skaara applied a benefit with Find the Path on Skaara.
    Skaara applied a benefit with Bright Campfire on Skaara.
    Skaara applied a benefit with Stance: Strength on Skaara.
    Skaara applied a benefit with Focus on Skaara.
    Skaara applied a benefit with Passage of Nature on Skaara.
    This may temporarily break some of the combat log parsers, but it should also provide a much better audit trail for analysis.
    [URL="http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/duvi/"]Duvi[/URL]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000038e43/01000/signature.png]Duvi[/charsig]
    [B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Vastin[/COLOR][/B]: [I]"But whenever we take feedback on most game systems, such as character builds, economics, or [/I]especially[i] anything to do with PvP, then we are forced to read very carefully between the lines of any and all player feedback, as it is all inevitably skewed by self-investment, self-interest, and a deeply subjective viewpoint that increases in direct proportion to how long or successfully a player has occupied a particular role."[/I]

  4. #4

    Re: Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    Seems like that is made specifically for those parsers as well. Anyone playing in bullroarer found more stuff that is not documented? Doest the data import using another plugin still work?

  5. #5

    Re: Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    The combat log changes look like they MIGHT be able to hook client combat events up with a Lua API sometime in the future. Probably not in this update, but maybe with the RoI expansion.

    It's important for them to get the data in a correct and consistent format internally first before exposing it to plugins, and this seems like a big step in the right direction.

    The actual Lua scripting changes seem mostly like bug fixes and improved functionality for existing APIs. Plus the syntax error reporting is EXTREMELY helpful for development purposes. Now authors can more easily see what they did wrong and where they did it wrong.

  6. #6

    Re: Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    While I really like the syntax error reporting, I'm rather disappointed that no new API calls were added. Even some simple ones like returning your current map location would be quite helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    Quote Originally Posted by VincentAC View Post
    While I really like the syntax error reporting, I'm rather disappointed that no new API calls were added. Even some simple ones like returning your current map location would be quite helpful.
    Actually, a number of new API calls were added to the Item class, they just didn't make it into the release notes. Most of them appear to be used to test whether an item has a particular property such as :HasBackgroundImageID() but some of them are for getting the string values for properties such as :GetCategoryString() which could be handy. I'm interested to see whether the string functions work with the foreign language clients, returning the French or German strings. I imagine some authors will welcome the GetMaxStackSize() method as well. I'm curious about :HasMagic() and :IsMagic() since I have no idea yet what they do and with Character copy down on Bullroarer it will be quite a while before I'm likely to find out.

    New Item methods (as of the latest Bullroarer build, not all of them may actually make it to live servers):

    GetCategoryString()
    GetDurabilityString()
    GetMaxStackSize()
    GetQualityString()
    GetWearStateString()
    HasBackgroundImageID()
    HasCategory()
    HasDurability()
    HasIconImageID()
    HasMagic()
    HasMaxStackSize()
    HasQuality()
    HasQuantity()
    HasShadowImageID()
    HasUnderlayImageID()
    HasWearState()
    IsMagic()
    Last edited by Garan; Feb 22 2011 at 12:03 AM.

  8. #8

    Re: Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    Does anyone know if the inventory bag bug has been addressed? It's annoying having to refresh my plugins so I can see an item after equipping or equipping it (crafting tools anyone?).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000008cc92/01000/signature.png]Aulderic[/charsig]
    [color=red]Join Date: September 2007[/color]
    Acier - 65 Captain ~|~ Averroes - 65 Runekeeper ~|~ Sagittaire - 56 Hunter
    Avincenna - 58 Warden ~|~ Ububur - 27 Lore-master ~|~ Voleur - 26 Burglar

  9. #9

    Re: Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Garan View Post
    Actually, a number of new API calls were added to the Item class, they just didn't make it into the release notes. Most of them appear to be used to test whether an item has a particular property such as :HasBackgroundImageID() but some of them are for getting the string values for properties such as :GetCategoryString() which could be handy. I'm interested to see whether the string functions work with the foreign language clients, returning the French or German strings. I imagine some authors will welcome the GetMaxStackSize() method as well. I'm curious about :HasMagic() and :IsMagic() since I have no idea yet what they do and with Character copy down on Bullroarer it will be quite a while before I'm likely to find out.

    New Item methods (as of the latest Bullroarer build, not all of them may actually make it to live servers):

    GetCategoryString()
    GetDurabilityString()
    GetMaxStackSize()
    GetQualityString()
    GetWearStateString()
    HasBackgroundImageID()
    HasCategory()
    HasDurability()
    HasIconImageID()
    HasMagic()
    HasMaxStackSize()
    HasQuality()
    HasQuantity()
    HasShadowImageID()
    HasUnderlayImageID()
    HasWearState()
    IsMagic()
    A couple of those appear to be at least semi-useful, if not a bit redundant - but even still, a very underwhelming update - bordering on annoying. I mean, why release fixes for things that can be compensated for, without giving authors something of value to add to their plugin? So we're forced to release an update for no other reason than to make it continue to work?

    Users don't mind upgrading if there's something new, or if there's an annoying bug that's been fixed; but to make them upgrade, only to make what they have, continue to work? I personally don't like it at all.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wK9A7aa.png[/IMG]

    [SIZE=1][B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Fourohfour | [B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Artemedis | [COLOR=Blue][B]60[/B][/COLOR] Whiskeytango Foxtrot | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]50[/COLOR][/B] Mistah Boombastic | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]56[/COLOR][/B] Appetizer | [B][COLOR=#a7a7a7]25[/COLOR][/B] Aggromi | [B][COLOR=blue]61[/COLOR][/B] Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts [/SIZE] [/CENTER]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2

    Re: Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Sagittaire88 View Post
    Does anyone know if the inventory bag bug has been addressed? It's annoying having to refresh my plugins so I can see an item after equipping or equipping it (crafting tools anyone?).
    I would really like to know that too.
    I get my Turbine Point Cards for free. You can too!
    [url=http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=uin1301193125]Points2Shop[/url]

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,780

    Re: Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Garan View Post
    Actually, a number of new API calls were added to the Item class, they just didn't make it into the release notes.
    How do you know this btw? Is this info released somewhere that I don't know about?

    There seems to be an incredibly large lack of information about the API in general (the actual API reference being extremely vague).
    [B]Elendilmir - [COLOR=#3333ff]Evenwyn[/COLOR][/B] Burglar[B] - [COLOR=#3333ff]Evendale[/COLOR][/B] Guardian
    [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=2][B]Combat Analysis[/B] [/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=2]([B]v4.2.3b[/B]) - [/SIZE][/FONT]Download "[URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info502-CombatAnalysis.html"]here[/URL]"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Evendale View Post
    How do you know this btw? Is this info released somewhere that I don't know about?

    There seems to be an incredibly large lack of information about the API in general (the actual API reference being extremely vague).
    If you know where to look in the metadata, Lua itself can provide some insight into implemented interfaces. I'm far from a Lua expert, but I have found a number of useful things, the simplest is provided by Turbine in their "samples". There is a Table.lua in Turbine\Debug which implements a Dump method - Table.Dump(anytable) will output to the standard chat channel the structure of "anytable". Since objects and functions and all the other metadata are stored in tables, you just have to dump the right table. Try importing "Turbine.Debug" and then execute "Turbine.Debug.Table.Dump(Turb ine)" or for an even higher view, start at the top of the environment with "Turbine.Debug.Table.Dump(_G)" . You will find some interesting nuggets. Of course, you have to be running the Bullroarer client to see the new interfaces, but you get the idea.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,780

    Re: Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Garan View Post
    If you know where to look in the metadata, Lua itself can provide some insight into implemented interfaces. I'm far from a Lua expert, but I have found a number of useful things, the simplest is provided by Turbine in their "samples". There is a Table.lua in Turbine\Debug which implements a Dump method - Table.Dump(anytable) will output to the standard chat channel the structure of "anytable". Since objects and functions and all the other metadata are stored in tables, you just have to dump the right table. Try importing "Turbine.Debug" and then execute "Turbine.Debug.Table.Dump(Turb ine)" or for an even higher view, start at the top of the environment with "Turbine.Debug.Table.Dump(_G)" . You will find some interesting nuggets. Of course, you have to be running the Bullroarer client to see the new interfaces, but you get the idea.
    Oh, heh. I'd written a class to do pretty much the same thing while I was playing around, lol - although I never did try using it on _G. That might actually be a nice way to fix up my sloppy use of global variables .

    But yea, I was hoping there was some stockpile of information somewhere I hadn't heard about . Oh well.
    [B]Elendilmir - [COLOR=#3333ff]Evenwyn[/COLOR][/B] Burglar[B] - [COLOR=#3333ff]Evendale[/COLOR][/B] Guardian
    [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=2][B]Combat Analysis[/B] [/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=2]([B]v4.2.3b[/B]) - [/SIZE][/FONT]Download "[URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info502-CombatAnalysis.html"]here[/URL]"

  14. #14

    Re: Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    Any idea when this is going to be released? With all the news postings about Update 2, I was expecting that we'd have it by now...

  15. #15

    Re: Beta Release Notes for Updtae 2

    Quote Originally Posted by VincentAC View Post
    Any idea when this is going to be released? With all the news postings about Update 2, I was expecting that we'd have it by now...
    The target release date is March 31, 2011. Anything before that is an early release. My guess is that it will be the week after Pax.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload