We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Request for Plugin Developers

I'm not really sure how hard this would be (though I believe it's currently do-able), but when the user hits the ESC key, could all open option windows and any other window that may make sense close like a normal window would?

For example, after I select my map home from the Travel window, I usually hit ESC just out of habit to close windows like that. Same with with most option windows (TonicBars, BuffBars, etc), when it's open and I'm done changing stuff, I usually hit escape, but it doesn't close. I even feel like I had a plugin that did actually do this, but I can't seem to find it now.

Perhaps a Class can be designed that developers can use for their windows to automatically add this functionality without requiring every developer to figure out how to do it?

Re: Request for Plugin Developers

I use the Esc Key all the time to close open windows but cant see it in the keymapping anywhere so its poss that it could be setting somewhere else or on your own pc/laptop.

Only time it doesn't work for me is if somehow ive managed to unselect the game window so my keystrokes activate my desktop instead (but that serves me right for playing in window not full screen heh)
    Glasraen (65) HTR - Andreel (55) LM - Graisea (35) RK - Roselda (32) GDN - Magren (25) WDN - Urthiel (29) CPTN - Draigien (28) MIN

Quote Originally Posted by Stever1388 View Post
    I'm not really sure how hard this would be (though I believe it's currently do-able), but when the user hits the ESC key, could all open option windows and any other window that may make sense close like a normal window would?

For example, after I select my map home from the Travel window, I usually hit ESC just out of habit to close windows like that. Same with with most option windows (TonicBars, BuffBars, etc), when it's open and I'm done changing stuff, I usually hit escape, but it doesn't close. I even feel like I had a plugin that did actually do this, but I can't seem to find it now.

Perhaps a Class can be designed that developers can use for their windows to automatically add this functionality without requiring every developer to figure out how to do it?
    First, a tiny clarification, Plugins don't respond to actual key strokes. Rather, what you are referring to is the Action which is by default bound to the Esc key in the client - Turbine.UI.Lotro.Escape is the enumeration value for this particular action. Despite the fact that Turbine chose to name their event "KeyDown", it is not actually trapping a keystroke but the Action bound to that key. If a player were to change the keybindings for the Action, it would effectively change the key to which the plugin responds.

Anyway, if you want to see how a plugin responds to the Action which is by default bound to the Esc key, look at the .KeyDown event handler in main.lua from AltInventory. There are a number of other plugins that also implement this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hope_GH View Post
    I use the Esc Key all the time to close open windows but cant see it in the keymapping anywhere so its poss that it could be setting somewhere else or on your own pc/laptop.
    For those interested, you don't see the Escape key binding in the KeyMapping options. It is instead found in the lotro.keymap file in your "My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online" folder. The relevant entry is in the "DialogBoxes" section:
    EscapeKey [ Old [ 0 DIK_ESCAPE ] ]
    I would NOT recommend fooling around in that file without first making a backup unless you already know what you're doing (in which case you didn't need this post to send you there).
    Last edited by Garan; Feb 04 2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: typo

With experience I have had trying to use the Escape Action in lua tells me its a bad idea. The Turbine Escape action still fires so if the intended use is to use it to make your setup window close it will also make the Turbine Menu pop up (the one that comes up when you hit escape).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000aab79/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    kragenwar / krali / monkis / aldared / gorthawn
    Leader of [color=green][b]Dagor Dagorath[/b][/color]

Quote Originally Posted by emceecee View Post
    With experience I have had trying to use the Escape Action in lua tells me its a bad idea. The Turbine Escape action still fires so if the intended use is to use it to make your setup window close it will also make the Turbine Menu pop up (the one that comes up when you hit escape).
    I made it so the options Menu closes when you hit Escape in my plugin (in CombatAnalysis), but as you say, assuming they don't have any other windows open at the same time, then the Turbine Menu will pop up as well (there's no way to respond to any key events without the default action happening as well).

It would be silly to try and make your own Menu open on Escape (if it were currently closed), as you'd have no way of knowing if the player has any other windows open (and is pressing escape to close them). That would just get really annoying.

Basically, the way key events work at the moment is just really, really bad.
    Last edited by Evendale; Feb 07 2011 at 07:28 PM.
    [B]Elendilmir - [COLOR=#3333ff]Evenwyn[/COLOR][/B] Burglar[B] - [COLOR=#3333ff]Evendale[/COLOR][/B] Guardian
    [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=2][B]Combat Analysis[/B] [/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=2]([B]v4.2.3b[/B]) - [/SIZE][/FONT]Download "[URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info502-CombatAnalysis.html"]here[/URL]"

I, too, thought that TonicBars Main Menu would be removed when the escape key is pressed.
    "Shepherds of the Forest" -- RIP

I was incorrect, Tonic Bars does cancel out the Options windows when the Esc button is clicked. Not sure how I missed that one when I was testing some of my plugins (and yet I listed it as not working hehe). Evendale is correct though, when you press the Esc key even if the plugin captures the keystroke and responds to it, the Menu window pops open regardless.

I guess I'll have to wait for a plugin update from Turbine before this functionality can really be useful.

The problem boils down to two parts

#1 Although we can react to actions, we have no way of telling which state things are in when the user presses a particular key (for toggles). General rule of thumb is to just assume a default state, and hope the user didn't do anything funky before loading your plugin

#2 There is no way for plugins to tell the client to hold up, and windows aren't seen by the client as actual windows. So even if #1 is compensated for, the options bar will still pop up if the only window open is the plugin's window.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wK9A7aa.png[/IMG]

[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Fourohfour | [B][COLOR=white]75[/COLOR][/B] Artemedis | [COLOR=Blue][B]60[/B][/COLOR] Whiskeytango Foxtrot | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]50[/COLOR][/B] Mistah Boombastic | [B][COLOR=#00ca00]56[/COLOR][/B] Appetizer | [B][COLOR=#a7a7a7]25[/COLOR][/B] Aggromi | [B][COLOR=blue]61[/COLOR][/B] Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts [/SIZE] [/CENTER]