We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

First Legendary Item (from Quest) - 2H or 1H?

My Dwarf Guard has just hit 45, done the initial Walls of Moria stuff and has now been given the "Weapon of the Elder Days" quest which will result in him getting his first Legendary Item.

I have not, at this time, gone and spoken to the NPC that will give me the item as I am in a complete dilema about whether to take the 2H Axe and *pray* that OP stance works for me leveling, as a number of posters have said it does, and I can adapt to it successfully; or whether to take the 1H sword and "stick to the knitting".

Up till now I have leveled as S+B. It is slow, but I simply figured that was just the price of this class. Recent reading about OP Stance leveling and/or tanking has made my reconsider my position.

The particular worry I have is that, going on the experience of previous toons, the first LI you get (as the quest reward) is often better than any other LI you see until about 60 when you may strike it lucky and get a decent reforged item. This being said I don't want to screw it up and get something that gimps me for a number of levels.

My Guard is not in a Kin and does almost no tanking at this time, mainly just solo leveling. I would expect to do more tanking in Moria when I get there at around 50 (I am in absoutley no hurry to go into Moria).

I know that no one has a crystal ball, but if anyone has any well considered thoughts on which to go for (the 2H Axe or the 1H Sword) I would like to hear them.
    Last edited by Bryzinkta; Jan 28 2011 at 09:37 AM.

Re: First Legendary Item (from Quest) - 2H or 1H?

Whichever you'll actually use. I'd suggest a 2 hander just to speed up leveling, but if you don't level in OP, then that's a dumb pick.

Either way, you'll want to replace your weapon way before 60, doubly so if you choose a 2h. DPS > legacies, period.

I'm presently leveling a guard myself (just turned 45, as well) and read the same posts you did about OP stance when I was in my mid-30s or so. I had been S&B. I don't group. My kin is a kin of alts (have a champ, captain, hunter, RK, and warden all level 65). That said, I switched to a 2-hander to try it out. And that's pretty much what you need to do right now. Hold off on getting that legendary, even for another level. Get yourself a 2-hander and do some questing and work on the the traits/deeds for the OP stance and see how it feels to you.

For me, it was an eye opener. It wasn't just that fights were so much faster because I was putting out more damage. The fights became more fun. My morale and mitigations were already so good that with the extra DPS I was doing I felt like a real powerhouse. It became so I wanted to see how much I could push myself. It was just plain fun.

I did find that when I did my first skirmish with a 2-hander I didn't feel strong enough (but that was in my 30s with a weak soldier, too) and ended up switching to S&B for that. I suspect I won't need to do that anymore but I do have the option. I keep my shield and axe on the quickbar for quick changes when I need to. I haven't needed to go to shield for several levels but I do upgrade it and the axe whenever I upgrade my 2-hander.

So give it a try. It will feel awkward at first when switching from your normal skill rotation so give it time. But the only way you can tell is to play with it. If you don't have a decent 2-hander and are on Landroval let me know and I can have my alt make you one. But, like you, I wouldn't want to mess up my first legendary choice.

Quote Originally Posted by grannygamer View Post
    Hold off on getting that legendary, even for another level. Get yourself a 2-hander and do some questing and work on the the traits/deeds for the OP stance and see how it feels to you.
    That is what I have been doing since posting this and waiting for responses. Ran off to the Bard and traited 4 in the redline + Harrasser and then went off and did the Stand at Amon Sul skirmish (mainly because that is a very hard Skirmish to stuff up :P)

Going to head off and try a bit of questing now (feeling *very* naked without my shield to hide behind) to see how that works out.

My morale and mitigations were already so good
    For the record my morale at 45, in OP Stance with 2H Axe equipped, is 3487, with Armour of 3082. Mitigations (reading down the list) are: 3361, 936, 936, 1005, 936, 936.

The reason for mentioning them is I have no idea if they are good, bad or indifferent!

I did find that when I did my first skirmish with a 2-hander I didn't feel strong enough
    What soldier do you use? In S+B mode I use an Archer - any need to change (like to a herbalist) when going 2H in a Skirmish?

If you don't have a decent 2-hander and are on Landroval let me know and I can have my alt make you one. But, like you, I wouldn't want to mess up my first legendary choice.
    Thanks for the offer and the advice - both are much appreciated, especially as your Guard is of such a similar level.

BTW - What 2H weapon are you using at the moment?
    If you did get the first quest LI one, how did the Legacies look to you?
    Last edited by Bryzinkta; Jan 28 2011 at 10:09 AM.

I regularly use a DPS-specced Sage and run around skirmishes in OP. Maybe in your 50s it'll be more difficult, but if that's the case, either skirmish with a shield, or focus on normal questing. Your gear lags in your 50s, as do your legendaries because you outgrow them so quickly. Then you unlock Blocking Force and OP gets really good, and your morale just about doubles, and it's easy mode again.

You don't need to invest in an herbalist.

When I say my morale and mitigations were so good, I say that mostly in comparison to my alts, who were/are so much weaker in comparison to the guardian. I do love my guard, truly! But having just turned 45 yesterday, our stats are pretty comparable. With the 2-hander, my morale is 3568 and armor 2975 or thereabouts. My mitigations are probably a tad lower than yours but pretty close. I admit to not being a numbers person, per se, and I put a lot of stock into how something feels to be subjectively, how easy I get through a particular situation, especially having gone through it all 5 times already with the alts.

Weapon wise, I'm using the Mirrored Axe of Combat. It's actually a level 41 weapon but it's from a Guild recipe so still not too bad even though I've outleveled it by several levels. Figure I'd just stick with it until I get my class weapon, which I should have in a day or two. I haven't gotten the legendary yet. I normally don't go to Eregion until level 47 or 48. Just enjoy the low-level areas so much.

Soldier wise, I normally *adore* the archer, but I wanted to try something different with my guard. I went with a bannerguard. Just thought going with a 2-hander a little bit of healing might be appreciated. But I've just done so few skirmishes I'm afraid I can't give too much feedback on him yet.

I did feel naked without my shield at first, too! Now I'm quite happy to go berserker style and even give out a challenge yell when I fight solo just because there's nothing cuter than a yelling squat dwarf acting all champion like! That said, though, I do always keep my shield/axe upgraded and at the ready just for those dicey situations.

Also wanted to add one small comment. A friend of mine has a guardian and has always been S&B. When he picked his legendary, he inadvertently chose the 2-hander without intending to and having never used overpower before. He stuck with it until he was able to get another legendary at lvl 53 or so but he never cottoned to it. He also is a solo player. The shield just provided him with that much more survivability, and that was key to him. I guess it boils down to one's needing to know what feels right before choosing a 1 or 2 hander. I also don't know how it would play out in later levels as far as tanking in a group, whether it would be detrimental not having a shield, and perhaps others more experienced can chime in.

Regarding LI's, I normally nip off to Eregion at 45 and do nothing but (a) pick up the Stables at the various places and, (b) do the Wall of Moria series to get my first LI.

Then I level it to in a normal area, MM, Angmar, Foro, etc. till it is level 10, do the reforge, then go and complete the quest to get my second LI. Then it is back to finish off the other areas and wind up with all the Eregion Q's before hitting Moria at 50+

I figure I might as well get my LI leveling at the earliest possible moment...