We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Naming conventions and GM's?

Hello all. Now this post is going to sound VERY nit-picky...but i'm tired of this. How come the GM's don't do anything about really stupid names of players/kinships? I thought this was a role-playing game, and yeah, i kind of want them to police names a bit more thoroughly. Running past "IDroppedMyBeer" is annoying, or seeing a kinship named "Grouping with you gets me killed" seems just a bit outside the spirit of a MMORPG. I know, i'm being silly, right? Well, honestly i enjoy this game and am just tired of people thinking they are funny or witty (lol you're NOT) and ruining the spirit of this game.

Anyway, flame on, dudes.
    Last edited by Shivos; Jan 23 2011 at 07:17 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d2160000000049bb/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Re: Naming conventions and GM's?

GM's don't change names out of the blue, in order for the name to be changed someone has to report it. They don't go around checking every single name, they wouldn't be doing anything else.
    Re-ni-AN-nen - strayed (ppt. of renia- 'to stray')
    Aeled Reniannen, Defender of Middle-earth ~ Nendhiniel, Forge-Warden : Captain and Wardenette from [EN-RP] Laurelin
    Fluffrash, Blade of Barashish ~ Nathraen, Conqueror of Towers : Warg Puppy and Spider Tailor from the darker side thereof
    Faradwen, Swift-Arrow : Huntress from [EN-RE] Landroval

As if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.
    ~~~~~
    Kári was a little Dwarf. / Smaller than you or me. / And wherever Kári went / He took his axe… or three.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivos View Post
    Hello all. Now this post is going to sound VERY nit-picky...but i'm tired of this. How come the GM's don't do anything about really stupid names of players/kinships? I thought this was a role-playing game, and yeah, i kind of want them to police names a bit more thoroughly. Running past "IDroppedMyBeer" is annoying, or seeing a kinship named "Grouping with you gets me killed" seems just a bit outside the spirit of a MMORPG. I know, i'm being silly, right? Well, honestly i enjoy this game and am just tired of people thinking they are funny or witty (lol you're NOT) and ruining the spirit of this game.

Anyway, flame on, dudes.
    You may wish to reacquaint yourself with the LOTRO Character Naming Policy, which is incorporated in the Code of Conduct, which is itself incorporated in the Terms of Service. You did read this when you signed up, didn't you? (You checked a box saying you did.)

If you find a name you feel violates these guidelines, you should report it to In-Game Support. A GM will make the final decision (and will not notify you of any action taken). Don't report names that aren't a clear violation, because honestly, GMs have better things to do.

Well, i guess the GM's in the title is inappropriate, because what i really hope for is a better filter perhaps when creating a character. Heck i dunno if that's even possible, but i don't randomly go around reporting people for naming violations as i do know the GM's have better things to do, as do I. I'm just lacking the understanding of why someone would name characters/kinship like that in the first place. Seems stupid to me, but oh well.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d2160000000049bb/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Shivos View Post
    Seems stupid to me, but oh well.
    Treebeard probably thought "Merry" and "Pippin" sounded like stupid, childish names that absolutely didn't belong in his world. That didn't stop him from getting to know them, enjoying their company, and helping them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    Treebeard probably thought "Merry" and "Pippin" sounded like stupid, childish names that absolutely didn't belong in his world. That didn't stop him from getting to know them, enjoying their company, and helping them out.
    Stop being contrary just to be contrary. You're not teaching anyone lessons from a forum. IE; Reacquaint yourself with the rules, get to know the people with the silly names.

Yeah, the guy named "Idroppedmybeer" is probably a great person, and, no, stupid names aren't against the rules, but that's not the point. The point is it breaks immersion to see them running around. I'm more of a name nazi that many, probably, and I really dislike seeing garbage names. Having said that, it'll never change.

The company is trying to attract people to it's game. People who dislike stupid names are unlikely to leave the game because they see one. On the other hand, the people who create characters named "Idroppedmybeer" probably will if forced to come up with names that fit the world and make the rest of us happy.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000022279d/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Nataenelas View Post
    Yeah, the guy named "Idroppedmybeer" is probably a great person, and, no, stupid names aren't against the rules, but that's not the point. The point is it breaks immersion to see them running around. I'm more of a name nazi that many, probably, and I really dislike seeing garbage names. Having said that, it'll never change.
    It only breaks your immersion if you allow it to. Come up with your own creative idea for why someone's parents might have chosen to name him or her that way. For example, perhaps some hobbit's father exclaimed, "I dropped my beer!" right as his son was born and the notary was filling out the child's birth certificate. Hobbits are sticklers for procedure, after all.

And if they do then you'll have a problem with people jumping up and down too much because it ruins your immersion. Or the combination's of clothing doesn't fit a certain race. Remember this is a MMO so you'll see and meet many people and just like in real life your not going to like them all. Simple fix for you would be to turn your player floating names off and your golden.
    Last edited by RodhinKinning; Jan 23 2011 at 10:04 AM.
    Wrok BA of Windfola

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    It only breaks your immersion if you allow it to. Come up with your own creative idea for why someone's parents might have chosen to name him or her that way. For example, perhaps some hobbit's father exclaimed, "I dropped my beer!" right as his son was born and the notary was filling out the child's birth certificate. Hobbits are sticklers for procedure, after all.
    or better yet turn off floaty names and ignore all the ones you dont like.

makes for a much more pleasant world

You also might consider making an alt on Landroval, and seeing how the names are there. I mean that sincerely and not attempting to make you leave, but as Landroval is the unofficial RP server, you may find more people who value the same immersion that you do there if the non-Tolkein names get to you too much. I have friends who play on Landroval for just that RP immersion.

The current naming guidelines only prohibit names that are cursing, racist/otherwise offensive, or copyright violations, pretty much. It really bothered me the first few times I encountered nonsense names, but I've made peace with it since and centered my immersion on the world itself while allowing the player names to amuse me rather than upset me.

Is it possible to character transfer? Because i would go there in a heartbeat lol. thanks for the info

I might create a character on Landroval now.

How's the burg/warden pop there?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216000000008a48/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I would be interested to know how many RKs are on Landro...
    Marianna of Windfola, Captain lv105, Gladden

I have been seriously debating whether or not I should post on this thread, and have decided to say my peace and leave it at that. I am leader of Grouping With You Gets Me Killed and my toon's name is Edhelben Cuecthelas. The OP used my kin's name in reference to immersion-breaking, and I will admit that it is. I find it a tad ironic that his kin is called The Apocalypse, but that is neither here nor there. Personally, all of my characters have RP names that are Sindarin, Norse, or as Tolkienesque as I can make them, depending on race/region. It's a habit of mine from growing up playing pen and paper rp games, but I would never force or expect everyone who plays these types of games to be as strict as I am. For immersion's sake, I would recommend anyone wanting that experience to turn off floaty names, disable auto-run, and never use chat channels, as they all take away from the rp experience. That said, this is an mmo, and expecting millions of other people to fall in line w/ your way of thinking is an exercise in futility. Landroval would indeed offer the closest thing to the experience you desire, but in no way is it perfect. And I'm quite sure that if my kin name is bothersome, there will be some there that will irk as well (Pillagers of Pipeweed comes to mind), but you may find the general atmosphere more to your liking. At this time, however, Landy isn't accepting transfers, so you would have to start a brand new toon over there. Well, there you have it, and for what it's worth, happy questing.

If you really want immersion then you are going to have to deal with the fact that a dynamic world has aspects in it that you cant control - seems counter intuitive to me that people claim they want realism but are unrealistic in their expectations from a vibrant world and want to change things that in a "real world" would be out of their control.

Have you ever asked a parent of a child with a real bad name to change their child's name because it bothers you? Have you ever reported said parents to the authorities?

Same goes with names of organizations - they are beyond your control and to me the fact that there are things in this world (LotRO world) that i wouldn't think of or implement just makes this world more real and reflects the diversity of a real world

I think the poster who said that tree-beard might think merry and pippin's name sounded funny has the right idea - take some of the elfs name - if you translate them to common tongue they might literally say: "ale-dropper"
    or "beware the harbinger of kin-slaying"

It's not so hard to reconcile these names with the illusion of immersion - i simply imagine that these names are in a language that i have translated into my tongue - and sometime the results are silly

As long as these names do not violate the code of conduct I'm good with them - you play your game and ill play mine.

D

I've acutally found myself irritated with the complete opposite. I have found that kinship names like "Grouping with you gets me killed", and the Pizza Delivery one are much more enjoyable to see (to me) than "Friends of Karianna" (really?!) or "Striders Fellowship". I like ones that people have actually put some thought into, but I have to agree 90% of the kinship names I have encountered seem a bit lacking in creativity or fun. I also like some of the deeper Tolkienesque kinship names I have seen too. Either way, not much point in complaining about kinship names, they are what they are and I bet you half of the really silly or stupid names are just fodder and will go away. Mine isn't exactly following the Tolkien naming traits, but it's what I liked and what I chose. Some may like it, some may not. I don't take gaming that seriously. The more casual, the more enjoyable it is for me personally. I play to unwind after work. Killing some orc's always makes me feel better after a day at the office.
    KyaCloud & PuffyCloud
    4 Chalk Road, Whitwich,The Shire Homesteads
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d2160000000392e6/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

@ Fredalas the fact that you farmed your forum rep makes me dislike you.

Im not a huge fan of dumb names either, but the forum rep farmer has a point. Just ignore it, tell they are stupid, or report em if its really out of line.

I do not have a name that follows the lore specifically and Ive got friends that made up goofy names. Myself and those friends have gone past the 'Immersion" part of the game. We play and pay for the endgame and the social aspect. And usually call each other by an old mains name or our real name (Lots of peps call me Cuba). So that might explain your question as to why peps do what they do, they simply don't care, or its an inside joke.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216010000019efc/signature.png]Aces[/charsig]
    Known as Cuba, Aces, Acez, Card, Quartermain, Ha, Get, and Disorder.

I can't call ya Card just seems wrong.. Can't call wahime anything but wahime or noob.

Getting to 65 so look out!

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0721600000002d270/signature.png]Jakespeed[/charsig]
    The JakeSpeed, Alcopwn many more.. [Freepside Retired]
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iuZQXQjNQA"]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by takimeta View Post
    I might create a character on Landroval now.

How's the burg/warden pop there?
    As long as you know how to play a warden, you will find yourself with no shortage of friends. Even on the high population servers. The best ones can solo 3 man instances like Sword Halls (you probably already know that). Wardens also do a decent job in PvMP with no danger of getting nerfed.

Be forewarned that Landroval, Brandywine, and Elendilmir are high population servers with lots of lag and character transfers to them are not allowed (you probably already know that but some other readers might not). A lot of the established players won't help new ones because they don't want to encourage more overpopulation. You might want to try Crickhollow since it has been tagged as an extra RP server to handle the overflow from Landroval. Crickhollow is the RP server RP types should go to if they don't already know people on Landroval.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Waitwhatnow View Post
    I have been seriously debating whether or not I should post on this thread, and have decided to say my peace and leave it at that. I am leader of Grouping With You Gets Me Killed and my toon's name is Edhelben Cuecthelas.

snip
    Kudos for a mature reply to this thread.
    [COLOR=red][/COLOR]Retired.

I don't think the OP is being nit-picky or silly. If we were all playing a Japanese-style martial arts fighting game, we probably wouldn't see "Normanbates" walking about. If this was a post-apocolyptic zombie game, "Lancelot" would be a target for ridicule. Fantasy RPGs are the only gaming format I can think of where a considerable percentage of it's players are actively anti-RPG.
    If you choose to play LOTRO and make a character named "Baddboy" for example, that says not only you may know nothing about Tolkien, but more to the point, you don't care to know. Why play the game, then, and not some other?
    Yes, there are naming conventions and names are reportable, but it can be daunting to think you're the only one out there doing so. Just for an experiment, I kept track of people on my server with non-RP names when I happened to see them. I did not actively search, and I only counted the ones that were absolutely beyond any chance of being remotely RP. In one weekend I got over 100.
    Of course the GMs can't police every character to check the names; and of course, different people have different levels of non-lore tolerance; but even if we err on the side of flexibility there are an astonishing number of characters and kinships wandering about with sadly moronic names.
    I don't know what the solution is, or if there even is one, beyond those of us who love the lore of Tolkien's world report the names we can. Unfortunately, we can't make people think if they prefer not to.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][B][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001fba02/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Nataenelas View Post
    Stop being contrary just to be contrary. You're not teaching anyone lessons from a forum. IE; Reacquaint yourself with the rules, get to know the people with the silly names.

The company is trying to attract people to it's game. People who dislike stupid names are unlikely to leave the game because they see one. On the other hand, the people who create characters named "Idroppedmybeer" probably will if forced to come up with names that fit the world and make the rest of us happy.
    Honestly, too bad. They have just as much right to play the game the way they want to (just like you do), provided it doesn't violate the terms of service.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d21600000003601e/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

so whats next, checking the names on legendary items and crafted armor?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d21600000006f1de/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    to know that you have enabled them is to know that you can disable them

If I'm not mistaken if you report names that are not against ToS or CoC, but fail to meet YOUR lore nazi ways then you'll receive a ban for wasting the GM's time with something as simple as turning floating names off in your options.

I wonder, would you people that have problems with non "lore" names ever just ignore people in real life just because you dont like their name. If so then I pity you.
    Wrok BA of Windfola

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoBrauwn View Post
    so whats next, checking the names on legendary items and crafted armor?
    why not...i for one would not like it one bit if i bought a crafted item with an offensive name on it.

i dont care if no one else can see it...i can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast